Reviews: 5 | Table of Contents | - Text Size +
Microsoft Word Printer ePub eBook

A.N: I know her name is Ginevra, but because Virginia is what’s used in the original song, I’m pretending. Speaking of which, said song is “Only the Good Die Young” by Billy Joel.

Sin

~~~~~

“Only the good die young.”

Ginny quietly sang along with the now-familiar song. It was Muggle, but she rather liked it, due in part to the person who’d given it to her, and because it had a rebellious feel to it. There was a nice little message about wild streaks, and everyone knew she had multitudes of those. Not that they didn’t try to squash them....

“Come out Virginia, don’t let me wait
You Catholic girls start much too late
But sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one....”


She grinned at this verse. Made her wonder if he meant anything by it. Not that she really had to wonder for too long, she knew he gave her the song for a reason.

He’d been asking her–nicely, of course–for several months already, but she always said she wasn’t ready yet. That was partially it, but it was mostly because she wasn’t ready for what her mother would do to her if she found out. Ginny shuddered at the thought. She’d be disowned; it was COMPLETELY against all of their family traditions of ‘saving yourself.’ But hey, if she intended to marry him eventually anyways, what was the point?

“The showed you a statue, told you to pray
They built you a temple and locked you away
But they never told you the price that you pay
For things that you might have done....
Only the good die young.”


They’d always pounded into her the importance of ‘doing the right thing.’ Her parents were very strict, said it was so much better to have virtues and such. Ha! Virtues...she’d gotten rid of most of those the first time she’d helped Fred and George with one of their pranks. It was rather addicting, this wicked side of her. So much more satisfying. She already regretted that she’d waited as long as she had to throw her premiere Dungbomb in the first place.

In an attempt to ‘stamp it out of her,’ they brought her to the Order with them. Not because they thought she couldn’t handle being alone, but because they didn’t trust her outside of their watch. Or maybe they just thought that being around all the Order members would make her more moralistic. Not that it’d really worked...it was so boring stuck inside all day with the only thing to torture being doors that repelled absolutely everything.

“You might have heard I run with a dangerous crowd
We ain’t too pretty we ain’t too proud
We might be laughing a bit too loud
But that never hurt no one.”


Which was part of the reason why she hadn’t told them about the one she was dating, the person that gave her the song. She wasn’t quite sure they’d approve...he did tend to run with a dangerous crowd. Sure, laughing doesn’t really hurt anyone, but they tended to precede it by lots of killing and bleeding and everything else of the general massacre variety. Not that he really liked that part, he just had to keep appearances. After all, he didn’t want them to be laughing at him. Because that would most probably mean he’d already been through something along the lines of extreme torture (hot, cold, sharp, blunt, or Crucio, which was a combination of all four...depended on how murderous they were feeling) followed by the nice, pretty green light.

“Come on Virginia show me a sign
Send up a signal I’ll throw you the line
The stained-glass curtain you’re hiding behind
Never lets in the sun
Only the good die young.”


But he still liked a bit of the darkness. Kept things on the edge, more interesting, more fun. Except that he called it ‘bringing her to the light.’ Something about being exposed to more than goody-goody Dumbledore....

He attempted to be a little noble and give her space, but he definitely never dropped his mantra. Hell, he was a seventeen year old male. Giving up on requests for nookie was never on their to-do lists.

“You got a nice white dress and a party on your confirmation
You got a brand new soul
Mmmm, and a cross of gold
But Virginia they didn’t give you quite enough information
You didn’t count on me
When you were counting on your rosary”


He’d always been a tad cocky–pun completely intended–and held the air that she’d always give it up eventually. As much as she wanted to slap him or something for being such an ass sometimes, she had to admit he was sexy when he was all confident and controlling. Which wasn’t helping her current dilemma.

She paused her thoughts to listen closely to the next verse; it was her favorite.

“They say there’s a heaven for those who will wait
Some say it’s better but I say it ain’t
I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners are much more fun,
You know that only the good die young.”


She was singing the last bit at the top of her lungs...the part about laughing with the sinners and crying with the saints. It always got to her...ah, the sweet temptation that was sin. She grinned wickedly. From what she’d seen so far–which, admittedly, wasn’t much–sinners being much more fun was most definitely a true thing.

“You say your mother told you all that I could give you was a reputation
She never cared for me
But did she ever say a prayer for me?”

One of the little worries her mother had planted into her head was that of losing her ‘demure reputation.’ Not that Ginny was particularly demure, and everyone knew that, but this subject was a bit extreme. It was private, and if it was spread, she would most definitely prove her lack of reservation. Several times. In places that he would not enjoy taking his revenge.

Her family’s little set of prejudices never really helped any, either. They tended to be a bit closed-minded about his family. At this point, they didn’t actually know who specifically it was, but her mum was reserved about all boys when it came to her daughter. His background would help that about as much as cheese helps defeat Voldemort.

Come out come out Virginia don’t let me wait
The catholic girls start much too late
Sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one,
You know that only the good die young.”


The last bit of the song blasted from Ginny’s bedroom as Ron happened to walk by; it was completely unfamiliar to him. Almost sounded like it could be Muggle. And it kind of had a nice beat. He found himself starting to step in time with the music. But where had she gotten it?

Once he got past the catchiness of the song, he began to actually pay attention to the lyrics. And he didn’t like what he heard.

“Ginny!” he yelled, his eyes bugging out as the full meaning hit him.

“Yes, oh brother dearest?” she replied innocently.

He walked over to the doorway of her room. “Do you, by any chance, happen to know what this song means?”

“Of course not,” she replied, actually rather convincingly.

Ron sighed. “Good. Because you shouldn’t.”

“Oh really?” she said with a little smirk. Yet another thing she’d picked up from her boyfriend. “Then perhaps I should look into it. You know how I’m fond of all things inappropriate....”

A look of alarm passed over her brother’s face. “No, that’s not necessary.” He swallowed and continued. “Where did you get that song, anyways?”

“From my boyfriend. Something about a proposition...” Ron’s eyes bugged out. Finishing her small bout of Torture-the-Ron, she walked out the door saying, “Thanks for the tip that there’s actually something to it. I’m off to go talk to Tonks, she’s always got all the answers. It’s so fun to have an adult around here that’s minimal with the tact, it just makes things so much easier for me. Tata.”

With a little wave, she was gone, leaving Ron in a complete state of shock. Seemed as though he wasn’t even up to following her and stopping her yet. She grinned.

Perhaps she would take Draco up on his offer–pun wholeheartedly intended that time as well. It was most definitely good to be wicked.

“Only the good die young.”
The End.
smokeline is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Sin also liked 1065 other stories.
Leave a Review