A/N: I don’t own any of it, except for the plot. The song is “Molly Smiles” from the movie Uptown Girls. Loosely based on Uptown Girls. Another Note: Don’t hate me if you hate the story, part of it is taken from my own life, so it isn’t entirely fiction. So without further ado, “Molly Smiles”

Molly Smiles By: Draco Luva



"Daddy’s little girl,
paints the world with her magic wand"

“Daddy! Come on, daddy, wake up!” His eyes flutter open slowly, a mass of red hair quickly obscures his vision. Draco Malfoy is undisturbed by this, however, as he embraces the young girl sitting next to him on his bed. She is very young, only 7 years, a big comparison to his 28. She smiles at him, revealing white teeth between perfect pink lips, and her shining eyes, his eyes, to be more exact, for they hold the same shape and the same stormy gray color. Her nose is lightly dusted with freckles, and it wrinkles up every time a smile appears on her face. Her gray eyes look up at him expectantly.

“Breakfast, daddy,” she says in a pouty voice, signaling to him that it was time to start the day. He sighs and sits up; glancing around his rather small room, he notices its state of disarray, noting that he'll have to clean it later. The girl suddenly jumps off his bed and prances out of his room with a graceful elegance that reminds him greatly of a unicorn, graceful and beautiful, with a glint of magic in her eyes.

"Daddy’s little child,
Breathes new life to the morning time for me"

After dressing, Draco enters the kitchen to find the girl leaning over something on the counter top, heavily immersed in what she is doing. He smiles as he sneaks up behind her with the stealth of a tiger, knowing she has a sixth sense in knowing when he is in the room.

“Molly Ginevra Malfoy, what do you think you’re doing?” he says into her ear in a commanding tone. She immediately jumps at the sound of his voice and turns around, attempting to block whatever is resting on the surface of the counters behind her. This does nothing to stop Draco from being able to see over her head, as he is twice her size at least. He smiles at seeing the bowl of freshly mixed pancake batter, and it dawns on him what she must have been doing.

“It’s Sunday, daddy, remember? You promised I could cook breakfast today.” She looks up at him expectantly, her eyes seeking his approval.

“That’s right, I did promise you, didn’t I?” he says, only vaguely aware that he had given no such promise, and that his daughter was manipulating him with that look again.

‘Of course he would let her cook breakfast, what a ludicrous idea it would be for him to refuse. And he would be supervising, so no harm could be done,’ he reasoned with himself. He shook his head in disbelief; this little girl had him wrapped around her finger. Not that he minded, what good is a father, if not to be at his daughter’s beck and call. It was not as if her mother could be there for her. Draco frowned at the memory of his late wife, and the mother of his child.

"Though we’re apart,
Her thoughts follow me"


He had fallen in love with a beautiful redhead during his 7th year at Hogwarts. But Ginny Weasley was not only beautiful, she was kind, loving, forgiving, outgoing, and protective of her friends. ‘Too protective,’ Draco thinks bitterly. After Hogwarts Draco had married Ginny, determined to make sure they would be together forever. Not that he wasn’t met by obstacles on the way. Her family of 6 brothers, 7 if you count Potter, were very reluctant to let Draco in the proximity of Ginny, let alone marry her. But Draco was determined, and in the end they gave in, as did her parents. Draco’s parents, however, had been a different story completely. Draco’s Father, Lucius Malfoy, had been enraged that his son was in love with a Weasley, and if it had not been for Potter, Draco doubted whether he would have been successful in marrying her.

But Potter had killed Lucius, along with a number of other Death Eaters, and saved Draco a lot of trouble. Draco’s mother had simply accepted his decision after her husband died; there was no longer a reason to fight against it, and there was little she could do anyway.

But in a way it was also because of Harry Potter that his wife was dead. When Harry had gone after Voldemort, Ginny had insisted that she go along as well. Draco had pleaded with her not to, but her mind was made up. And when Draco and Ginny had gone to find Voldemort with Potter, Granger, and Weasley, only four had returned. Ginny had died at the wand of Voldemort, and Draco knew a part of him had died with her. Ginny was gone, leaving him to raise their six year old daughter by himself.

"When I come home,
Molly smiles with the dawn"

Over the past year Ginny’s family had offered him help with raising Molly, but he had declined their offers. Molly was his daughter, all the love he had for Ginny was inside of her, along with a different kind that Draco was never quite able to place. All he knew was that he loved Molly more than anything in the world, and if possible, even more than he loved Ginny, for Ginny had given him Molly. Whenever he would come home from a busy day at work, Molly would greet him, all smiles and warmth. In the morning when he would wake, Molly would greet him, all smiles and love.

That was what made Draco decide that he was going to raise Molly by himself, Molly was his and his only, just like Ginny had been. Draco had cried a lot when Ginny died, and even though he tried to hide it from Molly, she knew. But what confused Draco was that Molly didn’t cry when Ginny died, in fact, she hadn’t shed a tear since. Even when she had broken her ankle during Quidditch, she merely winced in pain. Draco wondered if Molly had inherited his ability to block out emotion, but even he had been unable to hide his sorrow.

"Molly smiles,
And she radiates the glow around her halo
When she plays,
Molly Smiles
On a Summer day,
Molly smiles"

Draco helped Molly cook breakfast, and with his help she was able to create edible pancakes with bacon and eggs used to make a smiley face. Draco was surprised at how well she worked in the kitchen. This showed him that she would be a promising potion brewer, a fact he knew would please Professor Snape, or as Molly knew him, Uncle Snape. The thought of the potions master suddenly snapped Draco back to life when he realized that he was expecting Serverus for dinner tonight. According to Serverus he needed to discuss important Order matters involving a few Death Eaters that still ran free. Draco sighed, he was really looking forward to a relaxing evening alone with his daughter.

“Daddy, can we go to Uncle Ron’s and go flying again today?” asks Molly’s cheerful voice. Draco frowned, knowing his answer would upset the young girl.

“I’m sorry sweetheart, but I have something else planned for us today. Trust me, it will be lot’s of fun, maybe even better than flying.”

Molly’s disappointed face lightened as she began to wonder what her father’s plan was. Draco smiled, knowing Molly would never be able to guess, ensuring that he’d be able to surprise her, a feat that seemed simple, but was downright impossible at times, being she was so clever.

"A new day,
Molly smiles"

He planned to take her to the beach, something he knew had been a rare occurrence in her life, which was a shame, considering how much she loved the ocean. They took the Knight Bus to a town near the beach they were heading to. Then they walked the rest of the way, and upon seeing the sand and water, Molly squealed with delight.

“Oh, daddy! They’re beautiful!” exclaimed Molly when she spotted two horses standing side by side on the sand tethered to a post. He led her to the smaller of the two, a pure white mare with a beautiful long mane running down the side of her neck. He helped her up, and left the rest to her. Molly had learned two years ago how to ride a horse, and it was practically second nature to her. That and Quidditch seemed to be Molly’s strong points, and Draco supposed being good at one meant you were bound to be good at the other. She looked so perfect on a horse, like an angel, her red hair blowing elegantly in the wind, and a look of pure happiness on her face. Draco mounted his own horse and took off after her, galloping along the edge of the water.

"Daddy’s little girl,
Ties a ribbon around my heart,
Daddy’s little child,
waves goodbye to the ocean tide,
that sweeps me"

After a long run of the beach that seemed to go on forever, Draco and Molly slid off their horses onto the sand. Molly spun around and played in the sand and water, careful to only get her feet wet. Draco brought out the lunch he had packed before and they sat down to eat. It wasn’t until they were finished eating and had packed away their things that they started talking. Draco asked about how she was doing when he was at work, and Molly at her grandparents' house, and Molly responded with vague “Fine” and “Fun”, leaving Draco feeling slightly put out. He was hoping this time alone with his daughter would get her to open up about how she was doing with the loss of her mother. Draco pushed his silver blond hair out of his eyes, and decided to get straight to the point. But before he could, Molly stood up, and ran to the edge of the vast ocean. He noticed that it was becoming low tide, seeing the shadow in the sand. She began waving frantically as the waves slowly slipped further from her. Draco looked puzzled.

“Molly, what are you doing?” he asked for the second time that day. She just smiled and twirled around.

“I’m waving goodbye to the ocean!” she exclaimed, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Draco couldn’t help but laugh. She was so much like her mother in so many ways that it was intriguing. They both found nature and the world around them fascinating, and they both had a gentle and kind way about them. And they both affected Draco in a way that could never be explained. It wasn’t until Molly looked up at him with concern etched in her face did he realize silent tears were running down his cheeks.

“Daddy, what’s wrong?” Molly asked in an innocent voice. Draco looked her directly in the eyes and lifted her up so she was at eye level with him.

"Though we’re apart
She’s a part of me"

“I miss your mom. Everyday I think about her, and I wonder how I’m getting along without her here with me. When she died it felt like a part of me died with her, we were bound to each other. This past year has been hard for me, harder than you can imagine.” Molly just looked up at him, an unreadable expression on her face; was it pity?

"Molly smiles with the dawn,
Molly smiles and she radiates the glow around her halo,
When she plays,
Molly smiles,
On a summer day,
Molly smiles"

He continued on, “I love your mom, and I love you too. I also know that you loved her, and what I’m saying is, it’s ok to cry about it. It’s ok to grieve, just know that I’ll be right here, and no matter what happens I’ll be here for you, just how your mom still is.”

At this statement Molly gave Draco a confused look. “Mommy is still here?” Her eyes were wide with wonder.

Draco gave a small smile. “Molly, your mom will always be with you, she will always protect and love you.”

Molly looked down at her feet, and it was clear these next words caused her pain.

“But, but isn’t mommy, you know....dead?” she asked, looking back up at him.

Draco gathered Molly in a hug. “Yes, but she is alive in spirit, and very much alive in you. I see her whenever I look at you, she is a part of you.” As Molly’s eyes started to fill with tears, Draco looked to the horizon, and saw the sun starting to set.

He held Molly in his arms, as she whispered to him. “I never cried because I was too afraid if I started, I would never be able to stop,” she said through sobs.

Draco felt his heart drop and answered back in a soothing tone. “You can always cry, and I will always dry your tears.” The sun had cast an pinkish orange glow over the sky, and the sight was breathtaking.

Though Molly said it in barely a whisper, and even though she was still crying, Draco could hear her perfectly when the words “Isn’t it beautiful, mommy?” escaped from her mouth.

Draco held his head up and spoke to the wind, in a faraway voice, speaking to a faraway person, “You will always be a part of me.”


As the final rays of sunlight cast over the beach, Draco looked over at his daughter to see her smiling, as if everything in the world was perfect.

"When the days have gone gray,
nothings wrong when Molly smiles."

END

A/N: Well, what did you think? I know you probably are like, wow, that was bad, but hey I’m pretty young, people, I’m not an author like JKR or anything. So if you did like it, please tell me in REVIEWS, I’m begging you guys just please review, so I can work on it thank you so much!

This story is dedicated to my mother Virginia Layer, R.I.P, I love you so much.
The End.
Draco Luva is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Molly Smiles also liked 442 other stories.
Leave a Review