Draco steered into the gravel parking lot of the Burger Master, and pulled into the closest available spot. He and Ginny both climbed out of the car, and stood in front of the car in the evening wind for a few moments.

“So, what do you want?” Draco asked, motioning towards the front of the building. The Burger Master was a large a-frame with a giant plastic ice cream cone perched precariously at the top, Orders were taken through a window in the front of the building, and picnic tables shaded with large umbrellas were scattered around for patrons to eat at.

“A small chocolate ice cream cone,” Ginny replied, “and some fries.”

“Okay,” Draco said, and went to the window to order.

Ginny sat down at the nearest table, and sighed for the fifteenth time that day. Her brothers were not going to handle this well. Her parents had handled it surprisingly well, but once the shock wore off they may well still explode. Draco’s parents... She didn’t even want to think about their reaction. This was going to be a miserable few months... years... She may as well admit it. For as long as she stayed with Draco, Ron would act like an imbecile. Ron had hated Draco for a while now, after all.

Ginny had gone to the same school as all her brothers had, Gryffindor High, home of the Griffins. Draco, on the other hand, had gone to the Slytherin High, home of the Snakes. Out of the four local schools, which consisted of the previously mentioned two as well as Ravenclaw Academy and Hufflepuff High, Gryffindor and Slytherin were the bitterest rivals.

Ron’s best (and only, in Ginny’s opinion, because that Hermione Granger didn’t count) friend at the beginning of his time at Gryffindor had been Harry Potter. Harry Potter was well known in these parts. His parents had inexplicably been eaten by a bear while in their home one Halloween night.

There were many theories as to why they had been eaten inside their own home. The most common one was that Sirius Black, one of Harry’s father James’s best friends, had been playing an elaborate prank on the Potters involving a half a deer carcass and berries. A bear, smelling this combination of treats, had wandered inside, confused the Potters with berries, and had eaten them.

Other theories included a scandalous bestiality claim involving a stag and the bear, and that poor (though not always innocent, according to the stories) Mrs. Potter had somehow gotten in the middle of it. Also, there was the popular government-conspiracy claim that the Potters were somehow important in finding out exactly why the Union won the war, and they had been executed via bear for this importance.

Some even thought that it might not have been a bear at all that had killed the Potters, but space aliens who got mad when the Potters refused to let them beam them up into the space ship and probe them.

Harry had survived the bear attack miraculously. In fact, the only injury he had received was a gash on his soft baby forehead. Harry now claimed that the scar was ‘lightning shaped,” though Ginny thought that he said that just because he thought it made him look cool. Everyone else thought it bore a striking resemblance to a chicken wing. Ginny agreed with them.

There were also many theories as to why the bear hadn’t eaten young Harry, who had been a tender and plump child. The most prevalent speculation was that baby Harry had soiled himself during the attack, creating a stench too strong for even a wild animal to stand. Others claimed that the bear mistook the child for one of her own cubs due to his unruly hair.

Some even thought that the bear was really an alien that had replaced the real baby Harry with a cloned spawn of extraterrestrials. Those people tended to cross the street quickly when Harry approached, and often sent out pamphlets insisting that Harry be removed from the public school system in fear that his alien DNA might leak into the other children, causing them all to turn into Democrats.

Harry had been raised by his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. His uncle sold used cars for a living, though he wasn’t the best at it, as he gained a reputation for selling cars that were on their dying days. Petunia and Vernon’s only child, Dudley, was known to most as ‘Get Outta The Way, Pigface.” This nickname came from Dudley’s habit of standing in the center of the magazine aisle in any store, gaping at pictures of scantily clad women. Most store employees just humored him because they knew that Dudley would never get to see a real life scantily clad woman unless he somehow managed to come up with a sizable sum of money. With Dudley’s work ethic, that was somewhat doubtful.

Ginny privately thought that all the theories were wrong. The bear was really a bear, and that it had somehow irreparably injured Harry’s small brain during the attack, which explained his current brainlessness.

Anyway, Ginny had been somewhat sheltered in her educational experience due to her brother’s overwhelming presence. No male her age was willing to face six angry redheads just for the privilege of dating her. Then, one day, she had run into Draco Malfoy.
She knew who he was, of course. Her brother had been in a practical feud with him forever. Their fathers had likewise been feuding forever. And she had definitely noticed him around town, she honestly doubted a single girl hadn’t. There were slim pickings in small towns, and most local girls wanted to pick him.

Well, there was Harry, too. Ginny had, unfortunately, had a crush on Harry when she had been a girl, probably because he was the only non-red haired boy she had ever been around for any period of time. However, she couldn’t argue that Harry was also a cutie pie.

And there were some other cuties around town, but Ginny thought that her sweetie was the hottest of them all. Other girls agreed with her, though. Ginny couldn’t help the smug grin that crossed her features as she thought of all the squealing girls around town who would love to be in her position right now.

Of course, as much as she adored Draco, she certainly didn’t love being in this position right now. Other positions, maybe, but the whole pregnant and suddenly engaged one was not the plan. She sighed.

She wasn’t sure exactly how they had gotten close in the beginning. One day, she had been taking a walk when his car had zoomed by, then slammed on its brakes and waited on her. She just kept walking past the bright yellow and black car with only a quick glance to affirm that the driver was, in fact, Draco Malfoy.

“Hey darlin,” he had drawled out the window at her. She had ignored him, and kept on walking, painfully aware of the fact she was wearing daisy duke shorts and a rather skimpy tank top. It had, after all, been the first hot day of spring, and she had brought out her summer clothes in celebration. He simply let his rumbling car creep along beside her.

“You’re the cutest thing I ever did see,” he continued, not fazed in the least by her lack of response. “I really love your peaches, wanna shake your tree.”

Ginny hadn’t been able to resist the burst of laughter that escaped her lips. She stopped, and turned to him. He grinned back at her, and said, “You wanna ride?”

“Sure,” Ginny replied. She had always been a sucker for cheesy lines out of ’70s rock songs. And so she climbed into the car.

They had talked, and Draco had driven aimlessly. She had been surprised to find out how much they had in common, how interesting he was, and she decided that she wanted to see him again. When he had finally dropped her off at the end of her driveway, he asked to see her again.
She’d grinned, and agreed.

“Here you go,” Draco suddenly said, plopping down a bag and handing her an ice cream cone. She accepted it, and took a dainty lick. He handed her the order of fries she had requested, and then pulled out a double cheeseburger and large fries for himself.

“How can you eat that much?” Ginny asked, as she usually did. Draco shrugged, and commenced with stuffing his face. A little while later, they were both finished, and Ginny tried vainly to think of an excuse to not go to the Malfoy’s house.

“Um, it’s a bit late to be calling on your parents, isn’t it?” she said hopefully.

Draco gave her a look that clearly read, ‘you have got to be kidding me.’

“But-”

“I risked life and limb to go to your parent’s house,” he said. “I think that you can manage to do the same for me.”

Ginny squeaked. “I’m risking life and limb?”

“Just because your family are a bunch of barbarians doesn’t mean the same applies to mine, Gin. We actually know how to act like somebody,” Draco replied.

“We act like somebody ” Ginny protested. “Really ”

Then she considered who she was talking about. “Well, some of us.”

“See, even you can’t defend them,” Draco said. “Come on.”

“Fine,” she sighed. “Let’s go.”

They got up, climbed back into the car, and headed off to the Malfoy’s.
Leave a Review