He kept telling her to calm down, it was okay, and that if I hadn't been there to make waves in the water to slow her down she would have been lost in the darkest crevices of the lake.

She peered at me hesitantly through her thick red hair, large chunks of it plastered to her cheeks and neck. Finally a smile shone on her face. Very few students who have met me are scared of me for long.

Draco shrugged and smiled, his velvet dress robes dripping onto the cave floor. He helped her stand up, and they walked slowly over to the edge, holding hands like two children lost in a fairy tale.

There was no time. The dark ones who had pursued them to the lake would soon try to discover where they had gone.

Draco whispered into Ginny's left ear.

She mouthed the words in disbelief. "Giant Squid!” she blurted out, “I've never seen you so close before. You're...You helped us. Thanks, I mean I've been through a lot lately and well, thank you."

Draco nodded and smirked in response, hugging her closer to him.

"I have been guardian of this lake and protector of this entrance for many years. If you stay here you will soon be found. There are passages within this grotto that lead up to the castle. The question is, Ginny Weasley," I continued, “are you willing to face those dark corridors again?"

They glanced at each other, her face as white as fine sand, his paler than the orbs of his eyes.

"It's not fair," she began weakly, “they’ve been chasing us for days, ever since we left Stonehenge. We have to get to the castle before it's too late." She turned her face into Draco's damp chest, then stood up, grim and defiant. "We'd better go ahead. No use waiting for them."

They walked further into the cavern and I paced them in the water.

"Up ahead the stream becomes too narrow for me, and the path curves. There are many forks and twists. No matter what you may see, stay to the path on the right. There are many old wards in place meant to keep out intruders. Remember who you are, and you should make it safely onto the grounds." I spun around in the water and prepared to leave.

The red haired girl cried out, "Wait!" and ran towards me.
"I'm not...I mean it doesn’t lead thru the Chamber? Neither of us speak parsel tongue and we couldn’t-"

She looked at me fiercely, her wand gripped tightly in her right hand, the knuckles white.

"Not the Chamber itself, Miss Weasley. There are many pipes, cracks, and tunnels leading here, but all were warded to prevent the monster leaving. And of course there was me. In order to get into the castle, you must want to enter very badly. And for the right reasons. Otherwise...well you don't want to know."

"Where will these tunnels let us out to then? Why haven't we heard of them before," said Draco.

"Somewhere safe. Now hurry, and I will try to hold them off as long as I can. Run!" I moved swiftly to the entrance to block it, creating an enormous ink cloud to hide
the opening. I hoped that they had enough of a head start.
To Be Continued.
mamaphoenix is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked From the Lake also liked 268 other stories.
Leave a Review