"Ms. Kealoha And The Study Of Parapsychology"



The first week of school was terrible for Ginny, she didn’t realize how crazy the teachers were going to be about O.W.L.s, despite all the stories her brothers had told her. She had so much homework, it seemed as if the professors were trying to drown her with it. Friday came fast, and she almost canceled out on the Psychic meeting when Harry met her in the common room. But with the encouragement of her friends, she decided to take a chance.

Harry led her to the second floor to a unused classroom where the meeting was to be held. They entered the room where they found the new Defense Against The Dark Arts Teacher, Ms. Kealoha. Ginny had been in one of her classes, and she seemed like a nice lady.

She was quite young, with long hair that seemed to hover between brown and gold. She had deeply tanned skin, and dark brown eyes that seemed to see something Ginny could not. She looked at Ginny and smiled.

"Hello Ms. Weasley." She said pleasantly. Ginny responded with a "Hi" at the same time as Harry, and they glanced at each other curiously. They took seats next to each other at the front of the nearly empty classroom. Ginny lowered her voice and whispered to Harry.

"Why did you say hi to her, she was talking to me?" Harry gave her an odd look.

"What are you talking about, she said ‘Hi Harry’ not ‘Hi Ginny’" He hissed. Ginny frowned and turned to look at the blackboard. It read, ‘Welcome To Parapsychology’. What in the world was that?

She glanced at the door as it opened, and Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil strode in proudly, wearing their usual I’m-superior-to-you looks. They took seats next to Harry, and immediately began to whisper amongst themselves, occasionally casting glances in Ginny’s and Harry’s direction.

The door opened for the second time and a second year Hufflepuff girl walked in nervously, looking at the older students with apprehension. She took the seat behind Ginny, and Ginny gave her a friendly smile.

When the door opened for the third time, Ginny was shocked to see the blond hair and intense gray eyes of Draco Malfoy enter the room. He looked sullen, and upon seeing Harry a sneer came to his lips. He sat one chair next to Ginny, and she glanced at his scowling form.

Something looked different about him, he seemed older, more mature than the irritating little boy that used to taunt Her brother and his friends. She also noticed his eyes, They were a stormy intense gray, but they also reflected Ms. Kealoha’s eyes; as if he could see something she couldn’t. She looked away when he noticed her watching him, giving her a sneer similar to the one he usually reserved for Harry. It was then ms. Kealoha stood to speak.

"Welcome, students of Hogwarts, to a meeting regarding the Study of Parapsychology. Parapsychology is the scientific study of paranormal phenomena. The "paranormal," beside or beyond the normal, refers to unusual experiences that do not seem to be explainable in terms of our everyday understanding or known scientific principles. Paranormal experiences often seem weird, uncanny, or unnatural. Typically they are quite rare but there are a few exceptional "stars" who have regular paranormal experiences and may show seemingly consistent paranormal ability."

Ginny looked around the class. Everyone was staring at Ms. Kealoha with dumbfounded expressions on their faces; clearly they had not understood a word of what she had just said. Ginny couldn’t argue with them, she hadn’t caught all of what Ms. Kealoha meant.

"Hogwarts is now offering a class that will help those "stars" understand their abilities. Keep, in mind; We will not be able to answer all of your questions, and by the end of the year you may still be confused about your abilities. However, this class shall also give you information about other branches of parapsychology different than your own, so it will not be a total waste. Are there any questions so far?"

Everyone raised their hand. Ms. Kealoha smiled and called on Lavender Brown.

"Ms. Brown, what is your inquiry?" She asked pleasantly.

"Why are we having this class, isn’t it the same as Divination?" She asked, a hint of annoyance in her voice. Ms. Kealoha seemed to ignore it though, and happily answered.

"Divination is a class open to all students Third year and above, and focuses on certain branches that parapsychology does not cover. This class is open to students of any age that have actual psychic abilities, and is designed to help them learn about and understand their gifts. Ms. Trenten?"

The small Hufflepuff lowered her hand as she asked her question in a shaky voice.

"How do you know if the person has psychic abilities?"

"Well, there will of course be a series of questions and Trials that should tell us whether or not they posses psychic ability, and we have other ways of knowing." She answered kindly. "Mr. Potter?"

"Can you help us control our abilities, maybe even make them go away?" He asked anxiously. Next to her, she could hear Draco snicker. Ms. Kealoha just smiled and answered.

"Well, there is no way to make your abilities go away entirely, but there have been instances where you can compress them, though it has been questioned whether that is altogether healthy for one’s mind. Mr. Malfoy?"

Malfoy’s voice sounded confident, yet slightly curious.

"I wonder, Ms. Kealoha, what psychic abilities you may posses? Certainly you have them, or you would not be instructing this class." Ginny thought that question was quite rude addressed to a teacher, but Ms. Kealoha just smiled and her eyes twinkled.

"Yes, it is true, I myself have psychic abilities, to a greater extent than most. I am a Clairvoyant Medium, I am capable of Telepathy, and I have precognitions."

Draco looked surprised for only a second, but quickly regained his composure.

"And What," He asked, "Does that mean?" Ms. Kealoha laughed.

"It means I can communicate with spirits without having to go into a trance, Telepathy is the awareness of another’s thoughts and feelings, and sometimes the ability to communicate with them, and precognitions are the paranormal awareness of future events. Ms. Weasley?"

Ginny thought for a second, then smiled.

"How often are classes?" Everyone laughed at her normal question, even Malfoy had a hint of a smile playing at his lips.

"Classes are one hour each week on Tuesdays. They start at Six o’ clock, and I suggest you come on time, this class has a lot to offer, and you’d be surprised what you may learn about yourself." She answered.

Ginny nodded and began to feel excited. This class was sounding interesting, she wanted to learn more about her ability, and what exactly it was.

"We will be holding the next class here this Tuesday, where you will be tested for actual psychic ability. Please encourage others to come, even if they are unsure of whether or not they are psychic. That is all, thank you for attending this meeting, and if you have any further questions that you would like to ask me in private, please do not hesitate to do so."

Everyone stood up to leave, though Ginny was slower than everyone else at leaving. She remained until there was only her and Draco Malfoy in the classroom. She looked up at him, and stared curiously as he stood in place, just gazing into space. He then shook his head, and looked around.

"What?" He asked aggressively. Ginny kept cool and smirked at him.

"So Malfoy, what psychic powers do you posses? It looks like we’ll be in class together, so you might as well tell me." He glared at her irritably, then sighed.

"I can talk to spirits." He said shortly. "What about you?"

Ginny was taken aback, and was reluctant to answer.

"Um, well, I can see the future. In my dreams, I mean." She said, trying to act indifferent. He just smirked at her and headed out the door. When he reached the threshold, he stopped and turned to face her.

"See you on Tuesday, Weasley." He said smoothly, before leaving the room.

Ginny stood a few seconds longer, slightly confused about the night’s events, before following him out the door.



A/N: Ok, all the information about parapsychology was found at http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/para/parintro.htm, and any further information about it in this story was found at that site as well.
Leave a Review