A/N: Hey, sorry this took slightly longer, but to put it in the words of Napoleon Dynamite, “I had to find a flippin’ beta, gosh.” Thanks go to said beta, The Lovely Lioness.




"By The Light Of The Moon"


“Come on Mr. Malfoy, you need to focus. Relax your mind!”

The exasperated voice of Ms. Kealoha filled Draco’s ears as he was desperately trying to communicate with a passing spirit. His eyes flew open in frustration and he sent a glare her way.

“Don’t give me that look, you really need to focus. You won’t be able to get through to anyone with your mind as cramped as it is.” she scolded him fiercely.

“I’m trying, but lately it’s been quite difficult to relax.” He said wearily.

In truth it had been more than quite difficult, it was downright impossible. The poltergeist that had been terrorizing him refused to leave him alone, and he couldn’t find a way to get rid of it. The loss of sleep he had been encountering was evident on his face; he always looked tired and was constantly zoning out.

Ms. Kealoha eyed his face closely.

“Mr. Malfoy, is there something wrong?” She asked with concern. He looked up at her unsurely, but figured he might as well come out with it.

“Ms. Kealoha, For the past month I’ve been haunted by a poltergeist. I really want it to go away, but I don’t know how.”

It pained him greatly to sound so pathetic, but with all the hell he had been going through these past four weeks, it was a wonder he wasn’t bawling his eyes out in frustration. Ms. Kealoha looked at him with pity in her eyes.

“Yes, I know what it’s like to deal with a poltergeist. They are very troublesome aren’t they? My dear boy, do not worry, I can help you get rid of it. Meet me here tomorrow at seven o’ clock, I’ll have everything I need to banish it then. In the mean time, try to get some sleep; you look a little worse for wear.”

Ms. Kealoha’s kind words soothed Draco’s desperation, and he was suddenly very grateful to have her as a professor. He exited her classroom and retreated to his room in hopes of getting some well-deserved sleep.

It had been a month since his first parapsychology lesson, and he was very happy with the results he was getting from the class. He could now summon up a spirit with less concentration than before, and he was able to communicate with them better. So far he had spoken with several interesting spirits, some previous headmasters, a few murderers, along with murder victims, and a large number of deceased Death Eaters.

Most of the spirits Draco spoke with had many regrets about their lives, and almost all of the Death Eaters said they would have done things differently. One spirit in particular had changed Draco’s perspective on things quite a bit.

Her name was Andrea, and she was a distant cousin of Draco’s. In life she had been a Death Eater, and it had led to her demise. She told Draco a lot about Voldemort, or Tom Riddle, as she often referred to him. She explained that his ideas on life and death were ludicrous, and that he hates so much that it will eventually end in self destruction. She also surprised Draco with the fact that Voldemort is a half-blood. He was so surprised at hearing this he almost didn’t believe it, but when she explained the facts to him, he could tell she was being honest.

The last bit of information Andrea left Draco with confused him to no end.

“You know your enemies, but it’s your friends that you’ve got watch out for.”

‘What in the world did she mean? Why would he have to watch out for his friends; people he knows and trusts? Maybe she meant something else,’ he reasoned with himself.

That meeting had been the most interesting and confusing of them all, and he owed it all to Ms. Kealoha. Even though he didn’t like the woman at times, he respected her greatly.

Others, such as Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil had gained no such respect, for after the first lesson Ms. Kealoha had politely but firmly told them that they have no psychic aura, and that there presence was no longer requested in her class. They had been quite upset at hearing this, and now whispered nasty things about Ms. Kealoha to all the students.

Draco was very pleased to know that tomorrow he may be be rid of this damned poltergeist. It had really taken a lot out of him, and he felt a rush of gratitude towards Ms. Kealoha, for she understood what he was going through; she had gone through it herself.

That night Draco actually got a good night’s sleep, and he felt incredibly refreshed when he awoke the next morning. When it came time for Ms. Kealoha to banish the poltergeist, he was practically buzzing with excitement, or he would be if he wasn’t a Malfoy, for Malfoys do not buzz with anything.

He made his way to Ms. Kealoha’s classroom, where he started to smell someone burning incense. He looked inside and there were several candles burning, and the lights were dimmed. He moved to sit down at one of the desks when Ms. Kealoha’s voice carried through the room.
“For this, Mr. Malfoy, you will need to be sitting cross-legged on the floor. Please close your eyes and relax your mind.”

Ms. Kealoha appeared out of the shadows and sat down on a strangely patterned rug lying in the center of the room. He mirrored her actions and sat down in front of her.

“Now, I am going to attempt to contact the spirit, and when I do, I beg you to keep silent.”
She spoke in a very quiet voice, and Draco had to strain to hear her. She then lit a candle lying in front of her and said a prayer.

When it seemed like she had finally made contact with the poltergeist, she began to mutter under her breath, almost as if she were talking to herself. Draco could not make out anything she was saying, and her eyes remained closed the entire time.

From the time when she first contacted the spirit to when she had finally seemed to banish it lasted about an hour. Draco’s legs were very sore and his butt had gone numb. He knew the poltergeist was finally gone when a chill had filled the room and his entire body shivered.

Ms. Kealoha opened her eyes and smiled at him.
“That,” She said with a laugh, “Was a very angry spirit. He seemed to have something against Malfoys. You didn’t happen to insult it, did you?”

“No, well, I did meet a spirit that didn’t like me because I am a Malfoy, but I didn’t insult it directly, only after it had left.” He said, remembering the time he had met a very Weasley-like spirit that seemed to hate him upon finding out his surname.

“Ah, but you can never be sure they’re really gone.” Ms. Kealoha said wisely.

He just shook his head and stood up, stretching out his cramped legs.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Mr. Malfoy.” Said Ms. Kealoha with a wave.

“Yeah, and thanks, Ms. Kealoha.” He said uneasily. He was not used to receiving help from teachers, or thanking them for that matter. He left her classroom, but his night was far from being over, for he had prefect duties until eleven.

He sighed and strolled around the castle, taking all the secret passageways he’d managed to discover after six years at Hogwarts.

He was patrolling one of the east towers when he found a small window showing him the velvet black sky dotted with diamond stars. He gazed out of it, and seemed to become entranced with the beauty and peacefulness of the night. A noise from above caught his attention; it had sounded like a feminine sob.

He quickly strode up the staircase that led him to the very top of the tower where he saw a red-haired girl leaning against the side of the tower, staring dazedly into the darkness. He could tell by her form and hair that it was Ginny Weasley. He approached her from behind quietly, and she didn’t seem to notice him until he spoke quietly in her ear.

“Evening, Weasley.”

She didn’t even turn her head to look at him. She just stared blankly into space, and Draco could see by the light of the moon that there were tears streaked along her cheeks. The sudden urge to insult her and punish her for being out this late was instantly squashed. Instead, he tried a different approach.

“What are you doing out here?” He asked, trying desperately to sound nice; crying woman were not his favorite thing to encounter.

She sniffled quietly and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear. “I like to come here, just to be away from everyone and think.” She answered, still staring off into the distance.

“Yeah, it’s, er, quiet, here. Hey um, why are you crying?” Subtlety with asking questions like this was not his strong point.

He noticed that Ginny was starting to shake, and her tears began to fall heavier and more often. She began to sob, and she turned her gaze to the floor. “He’s gonna die,” She murmured to the floor.

It took Draco a moment to fully grasp what she had just said, but when he did he became very alarmed.

“Who’s going to die?” He asked, listening intently for the answer. When none came, he became desperate. “Ginny, please, tell me, who is going to die?” It barely registered into his brain that he had called her by her first name, but she didn’t seem to notice.

Ginny gave another quiet sob before answering in an almost inaudible whisper.

“Charlie.”

Silence. Draco knew that Charlie was a brother of Ginny’s; he had found a note to him in one of Weasel King’s books during first year, and he had also seen him at the Quidditch world cup.

“Wait, how is he gonna die?” He asked, any comfort he was going to offer her lost in his thirst for information.

“He’s gonna kill him.” she whispered, her eyes still on the cold stone beneath them. Draco leaned forward towards her, his face mere inches from her own.

“Who?” He breathed.
Ginny’s head suddenly shot up and she glared at his face, hate gleaming in her chocolate brown eyes.

“Your father.” She hissed, before sinking to the floor in uncontrollable sobs. “Just leave now,” She wailed. “Leave, you’ve already done enough damage, your Father has already tried, and succeeded in part, to ruin my life, and now he’s gonna do it for real.”

Draco was alarmed at her sudden hatred directed at him, and he felt the need to explain to her that he was not his father, and he in fact hated his father.

“I have done nothing to ruin your life” he said in a firm voice. “That was all my father’s doing, and I am not my Father. I hate him, and I think he is a fool. So there, you have nothing to hold against me, and I have no reason to leave.”

With that, he promptly sat down next to her and studied her face. She looked very much unmoved by his words, and replied dully.

“I don’t want you here.”

He ignored her statement, and continued with questioning her. “Now, how do you know my father is going to kill your brother?”

She flinched at his words, but took a deep, shuddering breath. “I saw it in a dream, it was one of my visions. Charlie was protecting the Dragons, it wasn’t his fault, your father attacked him, he, he...” She trailed off and gazed into space.

Draco leaned closer to her, and she startled him by speaking in a loud voice that sounded incredibly like his father.

“That’s one less Weasley around.”

Draco could tell that she was repeating what his father had said in her dream, and it unnerved him.
Ginny then broke down into more sobs, and Draco impulsively put his arms around her, hugging her tightly. After a few seconds she began to try and break free, but he would not let go.

“Get off me! This is all your fault; it’s your stupid father causing all this! What are you doing!”
She screamed and wriggled and kicked, but he held her tight.

“I’m trying to help you.” He replied. “Just trust me.” He finally released her, and she scrambled out of his grasp.

“You can’t help me.” She huffed.

He just looked at her strangely before replying. “I can try.”

Ginny gave him a shocked look before turning and fleeing the room.

Draco stayed long after Ginny left, contemplating the night’s events. So his father was going to kill her brother, and it had something to do with dragons. Well, Draco knew as a fact that the Dark Lord was planning on using the Dragons to aid him in battle, and since many of the remaining dragons live in Romania, that explained how Charlie came into it.

But what connection did his father have with all this? Maybe the Dark Lord would send him on a mission to capture some of the Dragons, yes, that made sense. And Charlie would have to protect them, and knowing his father as well as Draco does sent up a red flag of warning. Lucius would kill Charlie in a instant, and probably make a good cover up story to go with it.

Draco sighed to himself. The normal, sensible side of him told him to forget what he had heard tonight, and to continue ignoring the littlest weasel. But the annoying, ‘nice’ side of him was firmly telling him to help her, and try to prevent Charlie’s death. It couldn’t be too hard, could it? With his father in Azkaban, there should be enough time to plan it all out. Maybe he could just push the Weaselette in the right direction, which was actually telling someone other than himself what she knew. Yes, that was a good plan, convince her to tell someone, than be on his merry way.

Unfortunately, Draco got the feeling that it would not end there.



* * * * * *



“Weasley! Hey! Ginny!”

Draco called out to Ginny, who was currently strolling around a secluded corner of the lake. He had been watching her all day, waiting for an opportunity to speak with her about their meeting two night’s ago.

She turned and glared at him; showing him that she was already on her defensive against him.

“What do you want?” She snarled. Draco was taken aback; from the way she acted, you would think he was the one plotting to kill her brother.

“I just want to talk to you. You’ve got to tell someone about your vision.”

She just continued to glare at him.

“If you tell someone, you’ll be able to stop it.” He said uneasily.

She shook her head and stared out onto the water. “You just don’t get it. No one would believe me if I told them, and they wouldn’t be able to stop it. Didn’t you see yesterday’s paper? Your father is out of Azkaban. This could happen tomorrow, and no one could make a difference.”

Draco was surprised that Ginny didn’t think anyone would believe her. Maybe they need reminders of the special class she’s taking for this exact purpose.

“If you tell someone about it now, then it would make a difference. You’ll be saving your brother’s life!” He wanted to shake her, make her understand.

“I can’t save Charlie. I see what’s going to happen in my dreams, the future. I can’t change it.”
She said in a worn voice.

“Yes you can! Why do you think you have this gift? If you have the power to see the future, you certainly have the power to change it. You just have to want to.” He stated plainly. Her eyes met his. There was a deadly look on her face.

“Are you saying that I want my brother to die?” She asked loudly.

He gave her a pitying look. “No, I’m saying in order to change it you need to believe what you saw. I think you’re having trouble grasping that what you saw is real, and it’s going to happen. That is, of course, unless you try and put a stop to it.”

She glanced at the shimmering water in front of her then turned back to look at him. “Why are you doing this?” she asked quietly. “Why are you helping me?”

Draco suddenly felt guilty. “Well, seeing as it’s my father that’s going to kill your brother, I can’t help but feel partially involved. You see, despite what most people think, I do have a conscience, along with a somewhat screwed up sense of right and wrong.”

Ginny laughed at his words, and it felt oddly good to know he could make her smile. Her happiness quickly faded to sadness though, and her eyes fell to the ground. “I still don’t know how I’m going to do this, or how I can save Charlie. I mean, last year when Harry tried to save Sirius, look what ended up happening.”

Draco was aware of how his cousin had died, but he never felt remorse for him until now; seeing the pain it caused Ginny. He slowly moved his hand to her cheek and raised her head so she was looking into his eyes.

“That won’t happen again.” He said firmly.

She nodded, and he leaned forward and brushed his lips against hers. He pulled back and she looked at him with wide eyes.

“What was that for?” She asked, her voice shaky.
He smiled at her, a genuine smile, and replied,

“It was a promise.”



* * * * * *


A promise. A promise for what? What in the world did he mean?

It was midnight, and Ginny was lying awake in bed, milling over everything that had happened over these past few days.

She had a vision that her brother Charlie was going to die defending the dragon’s from the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters. Lucius Malfoy would kill Charlie, and the last words Charlie would ever hear were going to be ‘That’s one less Weasley around.’ That thought alone terrified Ginny. She didn’t know what to do, and what good it would do to tell someone.

Malfoy had come to her tower the night she had the vision, and he had told her that he was against his father, meaning he was also against Voldemort. He had also tried to help her, but she felt so cold and distant from everyone that it hadn’t worked. At first.

Two days later when he had tracked her down at the lake, he had convinced her to tell someone, and he got through to her that it was actually going to happen. When Ginny first had the vision, and the few days following it, she had been in denial, trying to convince herself that maybe this time she was wrong. But she knew in her heart that no matter what she said, this was going to happen. But Draco had seemed sure that she could stop it, and, oh gods, did she just refer to him as Draco? Oh well, too late now.

After Draco convinced her to tell someone, that she could stop Charlie’s death, and told her it would not end up like what happened to Sirius, she finally began to settle down and think evenly.
That was, until he kissed her.

It had been so light and innocent, but it was filled with the words he had spoken right after they kissed.

I promise.

Ginny didn’t know what it promised, but she very badly wanted to find out. She prayed that it meant Charlie would be ok, but there seemed to be another hidden meaning.

After they left the lake, Ginny had gone straight to Dumbledore. He had been very kind to her, and he believed everything she said. He assured her that everything would be alright, and that Charlie would be kept safe. Ginny felt so relieved at hearing this she started to cry again, out of happiness this time.

After going to Dumbledore, she had tracked down Ms. Kealoha and told her about her vision. She sympathized with Ginny over her brother, and told her that not all visions will be good. She told Ginny how impressed she was with the progress she was making with her ability, and told her that the fact that she could see something as big as this is actually very helpful.

“But it’s so scary!” Ginny had told Ms. Kealoha.

“Yes, but sometimes we must conquer our fears.” She had responded.

“I wish I didn’t have this gift, I wish I was normal!” She had cried.

Ms. Kealoha suddenly gave Ginny a motherly hug. “Fate gave you this gift. It was meant to change you, and you’ll grow from all of this; not even your dreams can tell you that.” Her words were so simple, and yet so meaningful.

Ginny glanced at the clock on her beside table. It really was getting late, and she knew that she would be forced to wake early because Sierra doesn’t want to go to breakfast alone, so she laid her head down and fell into a peaceful slumber.


* * * * * *


The next morning Ginny was awaken as predicted by a pleading Sierra and Casie. She followed them to the Great Hall while they chattered happily. She kept quiet the whole time, and ate her breakfast solemnly.

“So then I was like, Ginny is such a red haired brat, I hope she trips over those brand new robes of hers. Hello? Ginny!” Casie’s voice drifted through her mind, disturbing her thoughts.

“What? Sorry, I’m tired this morning.” She said dazedly.

Casie eyed her closely.

“Something’s wrong with Ginny” Sierra declared knowingly. Casie agreed with her.

“You’re right. Something’s wrong, I know it, I just do.”

Ginny sighed. Her friends, Sierra especially, always know when there’s something even remotely different about her.

“Let’s see, I bet I can guess what’s wrong. Well, for one I can tell it’s a boy, you always get lost in your thoughts when it’s a boy.” Sierra said, very proud of her ability to read Ginny.
“Come on, Ginger, just tell us who it is!” Casie said, using her annoying nickname for Ginny.

“Don’t call me Ginger, it sounds like a name for a small furry dog.” She groaned.

“Exactly, and you act like a small furry dog, you’re very high maintenance.” she said snippily.

“Excuse me? Look who’s talking, CASIE FORD! You are the epitome of high maintenance and all things annoying.” Ginny said with a laugh.

She raised her eyes from her plate and glanced at the Slytherin table. Her eyes were immediately drawn towards a certain blond haired grey-eyed male. She watched him look bored, but very attractively so. Ugh, did she just refer to him as attractive? Apparently yes. Well, she could get used to it.

From across the room Draco’s gaze met hers and she raised a corner of her mouth, giving him a half smile. He responded with a small nod and his eyes fell back to his food.

“Wow. It’s Malfoy. I wouldn’t have guessed that.”

Sierra’s voice brought Ginny back to her current surroundings and She noticed Casie and Sierra’s oddly smug looks.

“It’s not, I’m not, you can’t possibly think that I-” She was cut off by Sierra’s loud voice.

“Fancy Malfoy? Yes, I do think that, and it’s quite obvious. For me anyway, I mean you know how good I am at reading you. I must say I am very proud of myself for finding out that you fancy the Slytherin Prince.”

“Yes, well will you keep it down? Ron is only a few seats down, so please hush your mouth!” Ginny hissed.

A very evil smile formed on Casie’s lips. Oh no. Not that smile. Casie Ford’s devil’s advocate smile.

“Oh Ron! I need to tell you something!” She called.

Ginny paled and reach across the table to quiet Casie, but the damage was done. Ron walked over to where they were sitting, looking at them curiously.

“Yes casie? You wanted to tell me something?” He asked, blushing slightly. It was clear he felt something for Ginny’s blonde friend.

“Yes, I would just like to say” She was cut off by Ginny’s hand covering her mouth. She fought free, however, and continued on.

“Ginny fancies” She paused for a moment, and gave Ginny another evil smile. “Some bread. Please pass it here.”

Ron gave her a confused look, but complied by handing her a bread basket. Ginny nearly fainted with relief.

“Is that all?” He asked. Ginny tensed again. Would Casie blow it?

“No, but thank you Ron, we really appreciate it. Would you like a hug?”

Ron blushed and muttered ‘alright then’ Before Casie gave him a friendly hug. He was blushing like mad when he walked back to his seat, and kept glancing back at Casie.

“He’s funny, that brother of yours.” Casie said with amusement.

Ginny nodded and prayed that they were finished with their chat on Malfoy. Her prayers were in vain, however, because Sierra continued on.

“Well, Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley. How unexpected. I bet if you mix your hair color your kids would have pink hair.”

“How cute!” Casie exclaimed.

Ginny groaned and let her head fall on the table.

“He is rather hot though, isn’t he? I’d go out with him, but he needs a tan. And I don’t fancy a rich boy.” Sierra babbled.

“I would go out with him, you watch Ginny, he’ll dress you up in diamonds and you’ll feel like a queen.” Casie added in her opinion.

“That’s great, but we’re not going out. And we’re not gonna.” She said firmly. She then stood up and left the Great Hall.



A/N: This is a long chapter, Please Review, I like to see what people think of my story. Big thanks to The Lovely Lioness and everyone else who did review!
To Be Continued.
Draco Luva is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Moku Ka Pawa O Ke Ao also liked 91 other stories.
Leave a Review