Draco Malfoy turned over in his bed to find a redhead there. This wasn't entirely unexpected, as he'd been working towards getting her there for months. What was unexpected was the way his stomach was twisting into knots and he actually felt... Bad. Guilty, even. Malfoys didn't do guilty.

He shook her by the shoulder, trying not to make the sheet slide any further down her body than it had. "Gin... There's something I have to tell you," he said quickly, before he could change his mind. "Before I start, I want you to know that I really do care about you, I do. You're... You're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I--"

He stopped when one of her eyes suddenly popped open to glare at him balefully. "Leave me asleep or it's all over, Malfoy."

"But Ginny, I--"

"Go collect your bet from Zabini or something. I'm sleeping." She turned over and pulled the blanket up tight like a cocoon, coincidentally leaving him completely exposed to the cold air.

This wasn't what was making his blood run cold, though. "You know about the bet?"

There was no response from her for a long moment and he started wondering whether to try pulling the blanket off her when she heaved a heavy sigh and sat up, throwing the blanket down to her waist. Her eye makeup had traveled down to her cheekbones and her hair was sticking out in all directions, but Draco was enough of a teenage boy to completely ignore that in favor of bare breasts that were reacting to the frigid temperature.

"God, what are you, a penguin?" She dove back under the blanket, even wrapping it over her head so only her face poked out. "Some of us employ this concept called heating to our living spaces. You're going to have to figure it out for when I spend the night, because this level of coldness is just not acceptable."

Draco was having some difficulty following along. "You mean... You're not angry? You want to keep seeing me?"

She rolled her eyes. "That would seem to be the gist of it," she said. "Is that all you woke me up for? Because if so I'm going back to sleep."

"But... I made a bet with Zabini that I could sleep with you. I started going after you because of a bet."

"And now it's grown to something more, blah blah blah, can I go to sleep now?" Without waiting for an answer, she threw herself back on the bed - his bed, which she was apparently staying in - and pulled a pillow over her head.

He slid off the bed quietly, not wanting to tempt fate, and walked to the wardrobe to bring out fresh clothes. As he dressed, he pondered what she had said and finally decided that, even if it really wasn’t all that cold, he'd humor her about heating the room further. As for the rest of it, it was still too confusing to think about.

Just as he opened the door to go collect from Zabini as she'd said, he heard her muffled voice say, "I get half, so don't let that rat try to squirm out of paying." A look back showed she hadn't moved, and Draco shook his head. He really didn't understand Ginny Weasley.



Author's Note: This is a one-shot. No sequel, no prequel, just this.
The End.
Mynuet is the author of 71 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 22 members. Members who liked The Bet also liked 1117 other stories.
Leave a Review