JKR owns everything but the plot (and a few other things as they come along).

For those of you who've read and/or followed this story...I've been taking the time to revise it quite a bit. I've revised every chapter I have written so far and I'm finally completing the story. I'm uploading each new chapter as we speak...

Authors Note: Bear with me on the flashbacks through the first four chapters. I felt they were needed to establish the relationship, but they won't last for long.



CHAPTER 1 – Sleepless Nights

He stared down into her face, the red hair falling softly against her cheek. Draco tenderly brushed it aside.

“This is the first time I haven’t wished for summer,” he said rather gruffly.

He tried to hide the ache he felt in his chest. He wasn’t sure why, he was never afraid to show her his emotions. She was the only one he was comfortable with.

Ginny spoke softly at first. He knew immediately that she felt the same way.

“We’ll get through it, Draco. It’s only two months.” Her devilish smile spread wide across a seemingly innocent face. “Just think…I won’t be able to contain myself when fall term begins.”

He returned her smile. It was the least he could do, knowing that she was trying to make him feel better. The truth was two months without her was going to kill him.

He bent lower to offer her a kiss, a moment he’d been waiting for all morning…

A sound near the trapdoor broke their hold on each other. Someone was climbing up into the tower room. Disgust swept across Draco’s face, more in annoyance for the intruder than for the need to portray his dislike for Ginny.

“Ginny, what are you doing in here?” Ron Weasley’s accusing voice rang throughout the silent room.

Never missing a beat, her face showed no signs of guilt. “I forgot my Divination book.”

Draco glared at Ron. His feelings for Ginny didn’t lessen the anger he felt toward her brother and he wasn’t about to be polite, especially due to the interruption.

Ron threw Draco a sidelong glance and spoke again. “Well, are you all packed? The train’ll be leaving soon.”

“All packed,” she replied. An uncomfortable silence followed in which Draco nearly cursed out loud. He’d never get to say goodbye to her properly now.

Ron stood by the trapdoor waiting for her as she walked past Draco and the rows of chintz armchairs. The smell of her hair was left in her wake and the ache in his chest grew worse as he, twice, started to go after her. He wrestled with his thoughts before deciding against it.

Ginny climbed down the ladder without a backward glance. Agony bubbled up in Draco, but he knew she was feeling it, too. The only comforting thoughts he could gather were those that told him what she truly felt for him. Because of this, somehow they would make it through the next two months.


Draco’s mind whipped him back to reality as a sliver of moonlight shone through the slightly opened curtain. He shielded his eyes with the back of a hand.

Bloody moon. He thought to himself. Always keeping me awake.

With a long sigh Draco threw the covers off the bed and made his way toward the window. He yanked the curtains closed and started back toward the bed, stopping only a few short paces from the foot of the four-poster.

“What’s the use,” he said aloud. “It’s not as if I can sleep now.”

He turned on his heel and made his way, in the direction from which he’d just come. Opening the curtains wide this time, Draco bathed his bare chest in the moonlight. He pushed the blond strands of hair from his forehead and leaned against the pane. The sullen expression he wore was one of many he’d been blessed with, but this time he had a reason. He felt empty...empty and alone. His gaze made its way across the lawn of Malfoy Manor, half expecting to see her walking through the gates at any time. Yet he knew immediately after the thought grazed his mind that it wasn’t possible. The situation could pose a danger to her and he’d never risk that. After all, she was the one who completed him. She made him believe that there was more. So much more in this life than what he had always known.

It had been three weeks since they parted. Three long, relentless weeks.

He sat down on the edge of the bed. Leaning back, he produced her prefect badge from beneath his pillow. Draco stared at the badge for several minutes, thumbing the Gryffindor Lion emblem as though it was his only treasured possession. A tiny smile started at the edge of his mouth. He never would’ve imagined having such a thing in his hand. But his smile quickly faded at the thought of anyone finding the badge. He knew it was foolish to bring it along. If his mother found out…. The thoughts trailed off in his mind.

He gave a long sigh, placed it back beneath his pillow and let his head fall softly down again. Perhaps the badge would offer enough comfort to let him return to sleep.

XXXXXXXXXXXX


Ginny tossed and turned in her bed. The sound of Ron banging on the ceiling with his broomstick was enough to drive her mad. You’d think after seventeen years of living under the ghoul in the attic he’d be used to it by now.

She sat up in bed and stared out the window. It was a peaceful summer night. She wondered if all was well with her mum and dad as they’d be away from the Burrow for a few days. Something to do with the Order. She and Ron were in charge of the house, but secretly she was wishing for someone else’s company.

She tiptoed down the steps, uncertain as to why she should be quiet. Ron obviously didn’t grace her with that courtesy, him and his bloody broomstick. She entered the kitchen and poured herself a glass of pumpkin juice. Crossing the room to her mother’s clock she did a quick inspection.

Well, at least no one is in mortal peril, she thought after confirming with the hands.

She settled herself into a tattered armchair, Mrs. Weasley’s knitting needles lay neatly on the end table. After a few sips of juice, she sighed aloud.

“That’s how I feel.”

Ginny jumped. Ron had appeared at the foot of the stairs.

“Heavens, you scared me.” She relaxed a bit. “Ghoul keeping you awake again?”

“Yeah. Doesn’t it always? Could you hear it, too?”

Ginny refrained from lamming into Ron about his broomstick and gave a quiet sigh. “No, just couldn’t sleep.”

He grabbed some food and settled himself down at the kitchen table, turning his chair to face Ginny.

“So what do you think Mum and Dad are up to?”

“Dunno. Must be important to take them both away at the same time, though.” Ginny found it difficult to hide her annoyance. She just wanted to be alone with her thoughts.

“Oy, what’s eating you these days?” Ron sensed the exasperation in her voice.

Ginny gave him her best soft smile. “Oh I’m fine. Just wishing Mum was here.”

Ron looked satisfied. “Yeah. But I’m glad we didn’t have to spend the summer at Grimmauld Place. And at least we know they’re safe,” he said, glancing at the clock. “Anyway, Harry’ll be here in a few days. Mum’s making sure she picks him up early next week. She says it’ll be best if she goes alone, considering the circumstances with his nutter relatives.” Ron stared at her with hopeful eyes. “Are you glad he’s coming?”

“Of course I am.” And she was. But Ginny knew what Ron was hinting at. Since her fourth year, Ron had hoped that she and Harry would end up together. “It’s always nice when he’s around.”

They sat in silence for a few moments. Ginny loved Ron dearly, but she so desperately wanted to be alone. Draco’s image crept into her mind. She could see his smile, his hair falling against his forehead as he casually swept it out of the way, the feel of his chest when he pulled her close…

“Well, I guess I’d better get back at it.”

Ginny jumped slightly as he’d startled her again, and then said a silent prayer that Ron hadn’t seen it. Fortunately, he was returning to bed.

“Night Ron,” Ginny said sincerely. “Hope you have better luck this time.”

“See you in the morning,” was his reply.

Ginny gave another slow sigh and made her self more comfortable in the chair as she let her memories begin to take over…

She climbed down the tower room ladder ahead of Ron, upset at the thought of not being able to tell Draco goodbye. In the name of Merlin, how did Ron ever find her?

It was Ron who spoke first. “Ginny, what in bloody hell was Malfoy doing in there with you?”

Ginny raised an eyebrow as carelessly as she could before responding. “How on earth should I know? He was there first. Why?” She glared at him. “Are you implying something?” Her expression was so convincing. Ron stared deep into her eyes momentarily and she knew he was dismissing the thought that anything could be going on. He opened his mouth to respond but heard his name being called.

“Ron! I need your help! The coaches will be leaving soon and Crookshanks is nowhere to be found!” Hermione’s voice wailed down the hallway in utter frustration. “It’s not like him to run off like this.”

Ron glanced at Ginny once more, searching her face for any trace of dishonesty. “Ron, I’m fine. I just need to run this up to the dormitory, throw it in my trunk and I’ll meet you guys out front. Go on. Go look for Crookshanks.”

She saw him hesitate, but then heard Hermione’s urgent voice calling him again. He gave in. “All right. See you in a bit.”

Ginny watched them disappear down the steps and turned back toward the hall leading to the tower. She stopped and peaked around the corner. Draco was just stepping off of the ladder from the trapdoor. He looked so alone. He ran his fingers through his blond hair as he always did and stared into his other hand. Ginny could see her silver prefects’ badge gleaming from a distance. She started forward but stopped.

Maybe she should just leave it at that. She knew they’d be spending eight weeks apart. And what if he didn’t feel the same way toward her once he’s had time alone at the manor?

Ginny turned around slowly, not sure if she’d made the right choice, and walked briskly back toward the hallway to the staircase. She cared for him deeply. But what if they couldn’t withstand the summer? He was different with her, this was true, but his feelings for the others hadn’t wavered a bit. His eyes still grew cold as stone when he brought them down upon Harry. His disgusted expression told her that he had no intentions of calling a truce with Ron. And she knew that if anything ever happened to Hermione, Draco wouldn’t shed a tear.

It was a horrible thought…but how were they ever going to make it work? What if the summer made him realize how foolish he was to get tied up with what he considered to be the enemy?

It had only been six weeks since they had confessed their affections for one another; vowing to be patient and keeping their feelings a secret from the others. They were so determined to make it work. But what if…

Ginny shook her head. She couldn’t worry about this now. It was time to go home…
Leave a Review