Author's Note: This chapter's a bit slow...but it sets some foundation. Keep reading!!! ;)

Chapter 10: - Ginny’s Confession

Draco stuck a fork in his shepherd’s pie. He was starving. How was it that every year his appetite seemed to increase? His stomach was like a bottomless pit, especially when his mood was good. And his mood couldn’t be better now that he saw Ginny each night. Neezle placed more food on the table and his mother sat down to join him.

“Draco, I wanted to remind you that your Apparition test is tomorrow. You need to be at the Ministry by 10:00 a.m.”

He nodded to his mother. “I haven’t forgotten. I’ve been studying every evening before bed so I’m sure I’ll pass.”

“I’m sure you will too, dear. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the time.” His mother reached out and brushed his hair aside. “Your hair is getting longer. It’s blonder, as well. You’ve been spending more time out in the sun this summer.”

Draco’s heart skipped a beat. Any time his mother noticed a change in his behavior he got nervous. “Just out on my broom a lot. It’s felt good to get the practice in. You know the scouts will be paying attention to the seventh years and I have to be prime.”

“You didn’t tell me you were considering a career in Quidditch. Do you think that is wise…all things considered?” Narcissa’s gaze was gentle as it fell on Draco.

“I know what you’re getting at.” Draco set his fork down and looked at his mother. “I haven’t really considered a career in Quidditch. But it would be nice to be offered a position, just the same. No need for Potter to be the only Seeker they’re chasing after.”

“Excellent point, darling.” His mother sipped her wine and changed the subject. “You’ll be back at school in less than two weeks. Have you given any thought to our previous conversation?”

Draco remembered his mother breaking the news to him that he’d overheard in the dining room many weeks ago. He had appeared surprised, of course. Somehow it almost seemed worse hearing it directly from her. It made everything more real.

“Yes, I’ve given it some thought. Probably not as much as you’d like, but I’ve had a lot on my mind as you know.”

“I understand, dear.” She seemed satisfied for now.

Draco was anxious to leave to avoid discussing it any further. He cleaned his plate and beckoned Toshy to take it from him. Neezle was setting the pudding down in front of him but he refused.

“Mother, I’m going to look over my notes once more and take care of a few things before bed. I’ll talk to you more when I get back from the Ministry tomorrow.”

She motioned for him to bend down and, kissing him on the forehead, wished him good luck with his test.


XXXXXXXXXXXX



Draco took refuge in his room and killed a few hours before he turned in. He was running low on his potion once more and would need to make some more soon. He glanced at himself in the mirror. His hair was definitely blonder. All of those hours spent on his broom, scouring the countryside for herbs and ingredients kept him in the sun much more than he was used to. Even the hours of Quidditch practice at Hogwarts didn’t keep him outdoors as much as this. Still…it was worth it, and he rather liked his hair.

Draco yawned. Glancing at the clock, he knew it was time to get some sleep. He’d have to cut his time short with Ginny so that he could get up and get to the Ministry early. He had a long way to travel and couldn’t go by broom, nor could he Apparate yet.

Draco stepped into his lavatory and threw off his robe. A quick shower would do him some good so he grabbed a towel from the rack and turned the water on. The bathroom began to steam up and he stepped under the spray. He thought to himself and smiled mischievously, Once I pass my Apparition test I’d love to appear right in Ginny’s shower. Then, as quickly as the thought had come to his mind he took it back. What with as many people that lived in Ginny’s household he’d wind up appearing in there with another member of her family.

Draco became serious again and closed his eyes, letting the water beat gently against his toned chest. He couldn’t help but let his mind wander once again. He sincerely hoped that some day their families would accept one another. After all…they were purebloods. The thought seemed ridiculous to him during the school year. At the time, his likeness for Ginny hadn’t put a dent in his hatred toward the others, but each night as he spent more time with her his feelings grew deeper. His soul softened; burying the hatred some place where he had trouble finding it again. He imagined himself standing in Ginny’s home with his hand in hers as they announced their engagement. Standing there as her husband as they announced their first child…or their daughter’s marriage to another…supporting them during a death in the family. Where on earth were these feelings coming from? He’d always wanted to just steal Ginny away and leave the conflict behind. But now he felt as though life would be perfect if he could just bridge the gap. He wanted to grow old with her, yet be surrounded by those they loved.

He turned off the faucet and stood still for a moment. The water dripped from his body as he grabbed a towel to wrap about his waist. Stepping out of the shower, he threw on his black drawstring pants and sauntered into the bedroom, drying his hair with the towel. It was time to meet her again.


XXXXXXXXXXXX



Ginny’s smile came into view and he grasped her hands in his. “It’s been so long,” he teased, kissing her down her neck toward the center of her chest.

“Silly boy…it’s been less than 24 hours.”

“See. Much too long.” His smile came to an abrupt end as a shadow blocked out the usual gleam in her eyes. “Is anything the matter? You look concerned.”

Ginny’s looked solemnly to the ground as she began to explain. “Actually, there is something I need tell you. It’s not really anything to be worried about, but you need to know just the same.”

Draco felt his stomach flip flop for the umpteenth time that summer. “Okay. Do you want to sit down?” Ginny nodded. He led her to the brook where they spent most of their time and sat down in the dewy grass. The stars were bright over their heads. “Alright…what is it that you need to tell me?”

She took a breath and plunged right into her confession. “Ron found your badge.”

“He what?” Draco’s face was a mixture between shock and panic.

“Draco, relax and let me finish.” Her annoyance was evident. “Honestly, what is it with boys and interruptions?”

“You’re right. Go…go ahead.”

“I had it inside a drawer in my room and Hermione came to visit.”

“Gods, she knows too?” He shot up from the ground and stood looking down at her with horror.

“Draco, please!”

“I’m sorry, Gin. I promise I won’t say another word.” He sat back down next to her and held her hand.

“Well she came to visit yesterday and I was putting away a few of her things. She had a little bag of some souvenirs she brought us from Greece and I didn’t think about it. I laid it inside my drawer that had your badge in it and that was that. The next morning we went to breakfast and Dad was asking her questions about her summer vacation and she remembered the souvenirs. So, Ron went upstairs to get the bag for her and…well…do I really even need to finish? You can pretty much figure out the rest for yourself. Anyway, once I’d realized the mistake I’d made in letting him retrieve the bag I ran upstairs to face him. He was standing in my room with your badge in his hand.” Ginny paused and took a breath. “This entire time he’s had a hunch something was up, but he trusted me. He thought I was being honest when I kept telling him how ridiculous he was. Draco, I felt horrible! I hated having to hide it from him for so long and I couldn’t blame him one bit for reacting the way he did.”

Draco wiped away a single tear that streaked down Ginny’s cheek. He pulled her into him and she continued to talk.

“The guilt almost killed me. And what’s worse is that Ron’s reaction is probably the mildest one I’m going to get. When the others find out--”

Draco panicked. “When? What do you mean ‘when?’ Is he telling Potter and Granger…or the rest of your family?”

“No, no. I didn’t mean that. But eventually people are bound to find out. It’s only a matter of time and you know it. It’s just made me realize how difficult this is going to be for us. Not to mention the thought of all the danger we’re in is about to rip me in two. If I weren’t meeting up with you in my dreams each night I’d be having nightmares of You-Know-Who cursing you to death.”

Draco thought for a moment and held her tighter so that she could feel his support. “How did it end? With Weasley?” Draco gave her a sheepish grin. “With Ron, I mean.”

“We’re okay. He told me he’d trust me on this and of course that he couldn’t tell anyone because he’d put me in danger. I told him how much I cared about you and that I’d trust you with my life.”

Draco felt shocked. He pulled her back to look into her eyes. “You’d trust me with your life?” He wanted to melt…as though he’d never heard anything so moving.

Ginny became irritated. “You act surprised. How could you possibly be surprised? Here I am…confessing my feelings for you once again, assuring you repeatedly that I’m here for you and refuse to leave you, comforting your every qualm and you act surprised that I’d trust you with my life?” She began to really cry this time. He’d never seen Ginny become so emotionally upset. He had a feeling this had more to do with the fact of letting her brother down than with his previous question.

“Ginny, I didn’t mean that the way it came out. I’m just…I’m just flattered, is all. It’s not like I’ve ever had anyone say such things to me before. You make me feel like, well – like a hero something and it’s rather nice.” He blushed as he realized what a lovesick idiot he must sound like.

She smiled. Her eyes were puffy and she looked absolutely adorable. “You are my hero you big oaf! She giggled.

He rolled onto his back, pulling Ginny with him so that she lay directly on top of him. Her lips met his and he felt every part of himself returning her kiss. This was heaven. They were together, they were happy and they were alone. What more could he possibly ask for?
Leave a Review