Author’s Note: For those of you who have previously read this story you might notice how much this chapter changed. I felt that it needed to take a different direction to give more of an impact as the story progresses. I think you’ll agree, yet it’s rather maddening just the same. Enjoy!

Chapter 14: - Diagon Alley

Ginny sat upright in bed as the sweat dripped from her body, causing her hair to stick to the back of her neck. Taking a deep breath, she tried to slow her breathing from the fitful dream she’d been having. Plagued with nightmares of Draco being tortured by Voldemort, Ginny had gotten little sleep since the day she’d put an end to their relationship.

She tossed the covers back and threw her feet over the edge of the bed, staring into total darkness for what felt like an eternity. She knew that her eyes were bloodshot without even having to look. Having gotten virtually no sleep for the past week was beginning to kill her. Practically everyone in the house had asked if she was alright and she had lied to them - pretending to feel under the weather with a summer cold. The only one that seemed suspicious was Ron. He hadn’t inquired about Draco since the confrontation and she knew that deep down he was still in denial over the fact. She wanted to tell him about the incident in her bedroom several days earlier, but doing so would give her too much closure. She didn’t want to admit to herself that it was over.

After a few minutes of shaking herself of the dream, she tip-toed across the bedroom floor and quietly opened the door. Ginny headed downstairs as she’d done so many nights in the early days of summer. It seemed as though the only place she could think was in her mother’s chair. Mrs. Weasley had sat holding Ginny in that same chair throughout her childhood. It was where she felt comforted; safe.

She curled up into the corner of the chair and laid her head against the back. The weather had finally decided to turn and a cool breeze blew through the open window – ridding her body of the sweat from the dream. She felt relaxed. Thoughts of Draco crept into her mind as she remembered their last kiss in her room. She’d never experienced anything like it. It was tearing her up inside to think that she might never feel it again. Maybe Draco was right…maybe she should run away with him where no one would find them. Could she leave her family, though? Her parents had brought her into this world - had made her honest and caring. Her brothers had given her protection…taught her how to laugh. Running out on them all would be unfair to everyone involved.

Yet, Draco lit her up inside. Ginny’s smile radiated from her soul even when her face was expressionless. How could she live without that? How could she give up on someone that had risked so much for her?

Her chest rose and fell with the tiny sobs escaping her lips. She knew she couldn’t live without Draco.

An hour passed and Ginny fell into a deep sleep as the tears ran down her cheeks.


XXXXXXXXXXXX



Ron was shaking Ginny awake the next morning. She remained in her mother’s chair and could feel the tear stains on her cheeks from the wee hours of the morning. Lowering his voice he spoke to her.

“Gin? Ginny, you need to get up. We’re buying our books in a bit, remember? Mum’ll be down any second and you need to get cleaned up and ready before we have breakfast.”

Ginny rubbed her eyes. She had forgotten. They were all heading to Diagon Alley early this morning and the entire thing escaped her. She hopped up, but Ron stopped her.

“Something happened, didn’t it?” He looked concerned.

“What do you mean?” Ginny held her voice as steady as she could.

“Gin…” Ron paused. He seemed to be thinking over what it was he had to say. “I don’t know what’s gone on the last week or so. I never see you communicate with him. I know you haven’t borrowed Pig to deliver any letters, nor have I seen any owls delivering anything to you. But from the looks of you, something’s happened between you and Malfoy.”

She swallowed back tears. It made her feel good that Ron was being civil about it. He truly wanted to help her and he wasn’t angry and cursing Draco for one reason or another. The brotherly concern made her feel somewhat better. She smiled to the best of her ability and replied.

“I miss him, Ron. I just…miss him.”

And with that, she headed upstairs to dress…unaware of the troubled expression her brother gave her.

XXXXXXXXXXXX


Diagon Alley was full of life as parents and children alike loaded their arms with school supplies for Hogwarts. Cages with animals donned the sidewalks, making it difficult to walk anywhere but on the street. Old wizards in colorful robes stood near the shop entrances handing out parchment with special deals on them. It was certainly a busy day for the shopkeepers.

A few successors of Fred and George walked by with boxes of Dungbombs; Filch’s worst nightmare. Ice cream cones bewitched with non-melting spells from Florean Fortescue’s were seen in the hands of many as they walked the cobblestones. First years looked longingly at the latest broom models, envious of the older students who were allowed to have them at school. Sadly, they’d have to wait another year.

Through all of the commotion, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley ushered Ron, Ginny, Harry and Hermione into the crowds of people. “Ginny?” Mrs. Weasley’s voice rang out over the muffled voices of other parents.

“Yes, Mum.” Ginny was so busy looking for Draco that she almost hadn’t heard her.

“We must first go to Madam Malkin’s to buy you some new robes. Let’s see…how about we girls head in that direction and we’ll meet you lot in a couple of hours?” She had turned her attention to Mr. Weasley and the boys and received nods in agreement. “Excellent…we’re off, then.”

Ginny was rather hopeful at the idea of running into Draco at Madam Malkin’s. She knew his family insisted on having new robes tailored for him before each fall term. She was silently hoping for his presence at the back of the shop.

The bell on the door rang as they stepped inside. Madam Malkin greeted them in her usual pleasant manner and led them to the back so that they could be fitted. Ginny felt her face fall as she saw only a few other girls standing on stools in the back, arms raised over their heads as they were measured by other witches. She and Hermione stepped up onto their own stools and let Madam Malkin do her work. Half an hour later they were leaving the shop with their bundles of new robes.

“Well,” said Mrs. Weasley, “that’s a job well done. Shall we get your books, then?”

Hermione answered for both of them as Ginny unknowingly cast her glance in all directions. Mrs. Weasley took no note of it and walked on ahead, but Hermione leaned into Ginny’s ear and said “What’s the matter with you today? You’re awfully distant.”

Ginny was literally tired of covering up for herself. She let her shoulders fall while answering with a “nothing” to Hermione’s question.

“You act as though you’re looking for someone…” Hermione hesitated a moment, as though she was going to continue, but didn’t.

Ginny shook her head slightly and didn’t bother hiding her frustration. “It isn’t the time or the place.” She hadn’t meant to sound rude, but she was tired of the questions.

She was glad to see that Hermione didn’t seem too put out by her response. Hermione made a quick glance in Mrs. Weasley’s direction, smiled and said “I understand.” Then she picked up with a conversation about school to make things as normal as possible for Mrs. Weasley’s benefit. Ginny returned the smile – once again being thankful for Hermione’s friendship.

Flourish and Blotts was much more crowded than Madam Malkin’s had been. Ginny felt swallowed the minute she opened the door. The bustling of students had them separated in an instant and Ginny noted that Hermione was making her way toward the Arithmancy books. Mrs. Weasley stood on her tiptoes to see Ginny above all of the heads and motioned that she would pick up her books for her. Ginny nodded and made her way back toward the door where she suddenly caught an elbow to the rib and decided it best to stand outside.

Ginny pulled the door closed behind her and stood on the steps of Flourish and Blotts. She could see Ron and Harry in deep conversation with George in front of the twin’s shop. Peering back into the windows of the bookstore revealed that Hermione was still lost between the pages of a book and her mum still stood in line. Ginny had made up her mind to go and visit with her brothers and Harry. She began walking in their direction when she suddenly stopped dead in her tracks. Draco was walking just a few short paces away with none other than Pansy Parkinson. They were laughing together.

She swallowed hard. Of course he’s with Pansy, Ginny thought. Why wouldn’t he be after the way that I treated him? She traced her steps back to Flourish and Blotts, hoping all the while that she hadn’t been seen. Her heart raced in her chest as she bypassed the shop and dodged around the corner of the bookstore to stand in the shadows of the alley. Ginny prayed he hadn’t seen her…and was now deeply wishing that she hadn’t seen him. The tears began to sting her eyes and there was nothing to do but let them fall. Oh, but she couldn’t cry here. Not in public like this.

As she made her way further into the alley it began to narrow and the sunlight was almost obsolete. She hoped her mother and Hermione would be occupied for a bit while she regained her composure. Ginny just stood there in shock as the tears fell. How could I have let this happen? He’s everything to me. She didn’t know whether to feel sorry for herself or just plain angry. She shook her head in disbelief and stood in the darkness for what felt like an eternity.

The agony she felt now was unbearable. Ginny’s tears continued to run, dampening the front of her robes, but she didn’t care. Her sobbing continued as she raised her sleeve to her mouth to muffle the sound. And then, almost as quickly as it they had begun, her tears stopped. Realization washed over Ginny, cleansing every last bit of sorrow and confusion she was feeling. She was in love with Draco. She was sure of it. It had only been a few short months and she’d always known how much she truly cared for him, yet love had never seemed to enter her mind.

Ginny suddenly saw everything in a new light. The intensity she felt seemed to strengthen each time she was near him and that slow flame burning inside her grew each time she felt his touch. Ginny missed that touch and wanted to feel it again…wanted the world to know how in love she was. She knew that their days of hiding would be no more. The willpower she’d had burned to dust only minutes ago when she saw him with Pansy.

A week ago she had sworn him out of her life for his protection. However, she now knew that, without him, neither of them would ever be the same. Ginny smiled to herself at the thought of seeing Draco on the train the next day. She was prepared to confess her love for him and she didn’t care who knew it. Nothing could have changed her mind at this moment. His arms were where she belonged.

Ginny stood and hastily wiped her tear-stained cheeks with the back of her hands. She squinted into the shadows to make out her steps and followed the bit of light back toward the busy street.

But had Ginny only looked behind her, she would’ve seen a pair of gray eyes staring lovingly at her from the shadows.

XXXXXXXXXXXX



Ginny left the alley, careful to not be seen by her parents. She didn’t want to explain where she’d been all this time. She was prepared to let everyone know about their relationship once she returned to Hogwarts the next day.

She let her pupils adjust as the sunlight hit her eyes. Her family was nowhere in sight and she began to worry. How would she explain such a long absence? A quick glance inside Flourish and Blotts showed her that Mrs. Weasley was just finishing her purchase and Hermione was shelving her book. How could she ever be so fortunate?

They stepped out of the shop as Ginny leaned against the window pane with a most bored expression. It was Hermione who spoke first. “Been out here all this time?”

Ginny nodded. “Find anything to your liking?”

“Ginny, it’s a bookstore. Of course I did.” Hermione smiled. “I lost track of the time, but then I saw your mum just finishing up at the counter so I didn’t feel quite so bad.” Hermione looked down the street toward Fred and George’s shop and gave a little wave. Ginny followed Hermione’s gaze to see Ron and Harry heading in their direction with Mr. Weasley traipsing behind.

“All right, you lot? Are we done with our shopping? How about we stop for a spot of lunch at the Leaky Cauldron?” Mr. Weasley’s suggestion got a round of eager nods and affable expressions.

She walked next to Hermione as they made their way toward the Leaky Cauldron. She smiled inwardly as she pictured Draco’s face. Voldemort, himself, would have to drag her away from him now.
Leave a Review