Chapter 19: - The Dark Lord’s Visit

No more had the flames dissipated from the fireplace than Narcissa heard a door opening behind her. Blinka’s small “pop” told Narcissa that she’d taken her leave just as a figure emerged from the darkness of the hallway. Her stomach gave a lurch as a feeling of foreboding swept over her.

“My my, Narcissa…you look as though you’ve seen a ghost. Anything I can do?” As Lord Voldemort entered the library, she could see the evil lying just beneath the surface of his smile.

“No, my Lord. You just…startled me. I was settling a few of Lucius’ affairs and didn’t expect anyone.”

“No?” A slight glare began to form upon his face. “Why surely you expected to see me, dear.”

She gave him a questioning look…fully aware of what he was implying, yet very determined to deny it.

“Now, you know quite well that I have your son’s little Gryffindor interest locked up in my tower.”

Narcissa’s mouth went completely dry, but she didn’t show the slightest sense of fear. “I’m sure I’ve not the faintest idea what you’re talking about, my Lord.” She turned to face the shelves of books and busied herself with them. “Gryffindor interest? You sound as though you’ve captured Harry Potter.”

“Come now, Narcissa. I know you follow Draco’s every move. He couldn’t have managed the potion alone. Surely you must know of this new interest.” He stepped dangerously close to her and she could feel his shallow breath on her neck. “A new interest, I might add, that may very well be the end of him.”

Narcissa couldn’t handle a direct threat to her son’s life and she spun on her heel to stare Voldemort in the eyes. “He doesn’t care for her, my Lord. You are much mistaken.” Her keen mind began to dream up false events in her head for she knew at once that he would be entering her thoughts. “Draco has been eager to step into his position as a Death Eater for many years now. You know this, my Lord. He was seeing the girl as a favor to me.”

Voldemort’s eyebrows rose slowly on his head. His boney, white hand motioned for Narcissa to continue.

“As you well know, her family is part of the Order. Draco knows about the plot to go after the members of the Order at end of term and with all due respect, my Lord, none of the Death Eaters knows where to find them. It was my intention to have Draco become close to the girl so that she might give him something – anything - to go on. The sooner they are destroyed the sooner Lucius can return to the Manor.” Narcissa was confident in her words, yet she doubted whether or not Voldemort believed them. She kept her breath steady as he studied her face…entered her mind.

“I see.” He looked up at the picture of Salazar Slytherin on the wall as though he were admiring the source of his creation. “Narcissa, that may have been your intention - a good one, at that, but Draco has fallen in love with the girl. This love for her will turn him. He is already a traitor in my eyes and he cannot be trusted.”

“Draco is not a traitor, my Lord. He is a seventeen year old boy who is acting on lust and nothing more.” Narcissa knew that she needed to be dangerously careful of what she said to Voldemort for if he truly thought Draco a traitor the punishment would be severe.

“I know how much you love your son, Narcissa. We cannot help who we love…wouldn’t you agree?” His forced smile spread upon his lips once more as he moved near her chest. He slowly brought his hand up to her face, caressing her bottom lip with his thumb. Narcissa carefully held her breath as he continued to speak. “However, as much as I hate traitors - it isn’t in my best interest to kill Draco. I refuse to let seventeen years of my influence go to waste. No…no, I’m not going to take him from you.” She dared not take a sigh of relief yet. He was baiting her. She knew that it wouldn’t be this easy.

A chill ran up her spine as he walked past her to the mantel and reached out to touch the dark green serpent…the gateway to the secret room. Sweat began to bead up on her forehead as he continued to speak. “Few wizards other than I know what a powerful witch you are, Narcissa. It saddens me that you have never stood by my side using that talent to assist our cause.” She kept her face as placid as she could even though she was afraid of where this conversation might be going. “Lucius has always been one of my strongest supporters, yet he lacks your grace, your intelligence…and of course, your power. But now that Draco has grown, I believe it’s time that you joined us.”

His hand slid from the serpent and he turned to face her just as the color drained from her face once again. She knew this day would come and there would be nothing she could do to stop it. He wanted her with him. Not just for her power, but for other reasons, as well. Narcissa was very much aware of the way Voldemort had looked at her seventeen years, prior. Even while she carried Draco within her womb, he had lusted for her in a way that sickened her.

Her gaze fell to the floor of the library as she hurriedly searched for the right words to respond with. “It’s flattering that you feel that way, my Lord. I will most certainly need to consider your offer.”

Voldemort smiled his evil smile and stepped toward her again. His words were slow and very meaningful. “Do consider it carefully, my dear.” And, with that, he began to walk toward the door.

Narcissa was confused as he took his leave and abruptly spoke out. “But my Lord…the girl. Will you not let her go?”

As he spun to face her his red eyes narrowed. “Awfully concerned about the girl, aren’t we?”

“No, my Lord. Only that they will be looking for her. I’m concerned that the Order will find Lucius.” It wasn’t a complete lie. She knew that with Ginny missing and her owl to Dumbledore…the members of the Order would be frantically trying to find The Dark Lord’s place of hiding.

“The girl will remain with me. A little torment might be good for her soul. Besides… once I’m finished with Draco he will want to kill her himself.”

And with that…he was gone.



XXXXXXXXXXXX


Ginny tried hard to keep herself awake as fear bubbled up inside her at the thought of dropping into a deep sleep again. She wanted to have her wits about her in case anyone came into the room that held her captive. But she was fighting against exhaustion such as she’d never felt before. The burning sensation in her limbs seemed to lessen whenever she dozed. Perhaps the feeling would go away entirely if she let herself sleep.

“No! I won’t sleep.” Ginny said softly. She was almost grateful for being chilled. She knew if she were warm and comfortable that she would drift off – no matter how hard her will fought it.

It was nighttime, now. The bright light that shone through the tiny window earlier was gone, yet a soft flame flickered through the grate in the heavy door. She stood up carefully, using the walls for support once again, and made her way across the room. Ginny’s fingers came into contact with the cold steel and her eyes found the grate. She peered out into the hallway at an iron wall sconce. It held a burning candle that gave her the only comfort she knew at the moment. She’d give anything to know where she was. The tapestries on the wall outside the door made it feel like a relatively inviting place - but this room…this room just didn’t fit. The small space that she occupied was like a medieval tower room, yet the hallway resembled that of an old noble residence.

Ginny’s thoughts were interrupted as she heard a door closing and footsteps approaching. Out of habit she reached for her wand, only to realize that it wasn’t in her pocket. She tried to swallow as her heart rate increased and her hands broke into a sweat. She’d never felt so vulnerable in her life.

A shadow passed by the grate in the door and then it completely covered the light. Ginny half expected the door to open, but it did not. A snakelike face appeared within the steel and her first instinct was to scream. Fear, however, had stolen her voice and she was unable to utter a sound. She stepped back, stumbling a little, as Voldemort himself materialized through the door to stand in front of her.

“Well, well…you’re awake.” His voice was anything but kind, yet his face seemed quite pleased. No doubt he was enjoying every minute of this.

Ginny’s fear began to dissolve as hatred took over her soul. She wanted nothing more than to scratch out his eyes. She could see Tom Riddle underneath Voldemort’s present image and silently cursed the fact that she’d allowed him to use her as he had during her first year at Hogwarts.

“Oh, so you recognize me then?” He laughed lightly.

Ginny was confused - and then it hit her. She had no idea how to prevent Voldemort from getting into her head, but instinct told her to avoid his gaze. She rapidly tore her eyes away from him.

“It’s alright, dear.” She took note of the sarcasm in his voice. “I’ve seen all that I need to see in your dreams.”

Draco’s image appeared in Ginny’s head and for the first time she was thankful - thankful that Voldemort had taken her, instead. At least…she certainly hoped that Draco was safe at Hogwarts.

Voldemort continued to speak. “You see, young Mr. Malfoy has betrayed me and punishment was, of course, inevitable. So I said to myself ‘What better way to punish your future servant than to take the thing he loves most?’ and that, my dear, would be you.”

Her heart sank. She felt the walls closing in on her and she couldn’t speak. This was exactly the thing that Draco had wanted to avoid early on in their relationship and she refused to let go. It was true - she was glad that Voldemort had taken her and spared Draco’s life, but she knew it wouldn’t be that easy. Taking Ginny was only the first step. Something would be in store for Draco.

“Besides,” he continued. “You’ve been of service to me before. Perhaps you can grace me with that privilege again.”

Voldemort’s false smile tormented Ginny and her temper began to flare. “And what is it you plan to do with me, Tom? Has the world gotten so big for you in your absence that you need a sixteen year old girl to do your job for you?” She knew at once that she’d gone too far.

His eyes flashed red as he stepped toward her. Ginny was so frightened that she didn’t hear one word that passed from his lips, yet the anger behind his voice was deafening. Voldemort’s wand was bent in her direction and she felt the punishment from them immediately.

“Crucio!”

Everything she’d suffered since she’d arrived came flooding back into her memory. The pain she’d felt earlier was bliss compared to the agony he was putting her through at this very moment. She could still make out his outline and the small flame of light from behind him, but her eyelids began to flicker and darkness fell over her once more.

Ginny couldn’t feel her body. She couldn’t open her eyes. Her mind was telling her that she was alright, but the darkness was a wave washing over her that she couldn’t break through. The same horrendous voice spoke again.

“Ennervate!”

Her eyes inadvertently opened to stare Voldemort in the face, once again. His voice had returned to its slow and icy tone.

“I haven’t finished with you, girl. Don’t be mistaken and think it’s going to be as easy as that. You have taken something that has been promised to me for seventeen years and I refuse to let it go, lightly.”

Voldemort rose and crossed the tiny room, stopping just short of the steel door. His robes made the only sound as he turned and peered down at her. “Welcome to your new home, Ginny dear. Your length of stay will depend on how long it takes Draco to come to his senses. After that…I will make sure he deals with you, himself.”

His departure was as swift as his entrance and Ginny was alone, yet again. The tears began to fall as she wondered what Voldemort had in store for them…
Leave a Review