Chapter 20: - The Headmaster’s Office

Ron’s and Snape’s faces came into view just as the flames disappeared. As he stepped out of the fireplace, Snape addressed him. “Mr. Weasley said that the Dark Lord made a visit to your mother. Is this true?”

Draco pressed his fingers to his temples, unable to answer. He was so frustrated and worried that he couldn’t think straight. Ginny had been kidnapped by Voldemort and now his mother was alone at the Manor with him. It was all too much for him to handle.

“Mr. Malfoy, is he there with your mother?” Professor Snape’s patience wore thin. Draco looked at him in surprise, wondering why he was being so insistent.

“Yes. That’s why we had to leave. One of the house elves came to get us before it was too late.” Draco continued to stare at Snape with urgency. “But she didn’t tell us half of what we need to know. I have to go back!”

Snape inhaled slowly, as if trying to find the energy to deal with Draco’s persistence. “Mr. Malfoy, you cannot go back. It’s much too dangerous and your mother can take care of herself. Come, we need to visit the headmaster’s office.”

“HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?” Draco yelled at Snape with all of his might. “How can you say that my mother can take care of herself? She’s there alone with him - and nothing but a few house elves for support!”

Snape stepped forward and put his hand on Draco’s shoulder, a gesture that neither he nor Ron had ever witnessed from the Potions Master. “Draco, he will not hurt her. I know you are worried about your mother, but I can promise you that no harm will come to her.”

Draco wasn’t certain why those words caused a chill to run up his spine, but he shivered involuntarily. The manner in which Professor Snape said these words suddenly frightened Draco. He opened his mouth to respond but Snape nudged him forward a bit and motioned for Ron to lead them. Draco was reluctant, but followed Ron out the door.

Perhaps Dumbledore would have a plan…

XXXXXXXXXXXX


Draco had only seen the headmaster’s office once; during Professor Umbridge’s reign at Hogwarts. Many gadgets and books adorned the shelves and gave it a rather philosophical look. He glanced up into the faces of men who were former headmasters. All seemed to be sleeping at the moment. Draco wondered if he would ever know what it would be like to sleep peacefully again. He looked over at the headmaster’s desk and observed that Dumbledore was staring at him. His eyes seemed to be smiling at Draco. He could hardly believe he was admitting it to himself, but within these walls Draco felt rather comforted by Dumbledore’s presence.

“Ah, yes.” Dumbledore rose from his chair and motioned for Ron and Draco to sit. “I’ve been expecting you, both. And Severus.” Dumbledore gave a brief nod in Snape’s direction.

“Headmaster.” Snape returned the nod and stood to the side of Dumbledore’s desk as Ron and Draco took their seats. No one really knew what to expect of this meeting, but Draco’s stomach began to churn. This seemed their only hope.

Dumbledore returned to his chair and gave his attention to Draco first. “You’ve seen your mother, I presume?”

“Yes, sir. I’ve just returned from the Manor. He…well, he arrived, so I had to cut the visit short.”

Dumbledore nodded again, slowly, as if deep in thought. “I suspected that he might be paying her a visit soon. Your mother’s owl arrived just after I dismissed the students from the feast. It seems as though--”

“Sir – I don’t mean to interrupt, but how are we going to get her back? My mother didn’t even have time to tell me where the Dark…where Voldemort is even hiding.” Dumbledore noticed how Draco was no longer addressing Voldemort as the Dark Lord. Though the situation was grave, his pride swelled a bit and a tiny smile was almost evident behind the beard that masked his face. Perhaps Narcissa had been right when she suggested how dearly Draco loved Ginny.

Dumbledore held up his hand. “Mr. Malfoy – before you continue you need to be aware of something.”

Draco sat back in his chair a little and waited for the headmaster to speak.

“First of all, as I am your headmaster, I cannot allow you and Mr. Weasley or any other student, for that matter, to go after Miss Weasley.” Draco began to protest as Dumbledore held up his hand again. “Second - we aren’t completely certain as to where Voldemort’s place of hiding is.”

Draco’s heart fell. This was useless. How could he have felt so comforted just moments before?

“I have an immediate plan of action, however, that I believe will expose him to us.”

It was Ron’s turn to speak up. “Professor, we have to do something? The longer we wait… Sir, he’s torturing her. I just know he is. She’s my sister and I refuse to just sit here at Hogwarts waiting for members of…waiting for people to find her.”

Draco knew what Ron had been close to saying. He assumed that Draco had no idea the Order existed. It was ridiculous to keep playing these games. He knew his mother would have some idea of where the Death Eaters were hiding and his thoughts ran wild as he worked to figure out a way of contacting her.

“Both of you must trust me for now. I know that is not an easy thing to hear, but I assure you that all of us will be doing what we can to help Miss Weasley and she will be returned to Hogwarts as soon as possible.”

Dumbledore’s face became compassionate and reassuring, but Draco no longer felt comforted by him. It seemed as though all of their hands were coming up empty and he must figure out a way of helping Ginny, himself.

Ron glanced at Draco and then stared at his feet. Draco was sure that he was thinking the same thoughts. And it was becoming evident that he and Ron couldn’t do this alone.

Dumbledore interrupted Draco’s thoughts as he rose from his chair and spoke. “Now then, it is time for you to return to your dormitories. There is no doubt that it will be a difficult night for both of you, but if we’re going to get her back safely I must take care of a few things. Try and get some sleep.”

The boys stood and exchanged glances with Professor Snape who wore an unreadable expression. They couldn’t believe their important meeting with Dumbledore was ending like this. He was supposed to have answers. Answers that they needed to bring Ginny back safely.

Draco caught a glimpse of the portrait of Phineas Nigellus just as he was approaching the door. The old headmaster wasn’t pretending to sleep. On the contrary, he looked somewhat concerned. Draco dismissed the fact and left the office without a backward glance.


XXXXXXXXXXXX


Ron and Draco stepped off of the spiral staircase that led to Dumbledore’s office and swiftly walked down the corridor. Both of them were seething with the lack of support from the headmaster, yet neither of them had any idea of what to do next.

“You know that we can’t just sit by and wait for them to figure something out.” It wasn’t so much a question from Ron, but rather a statement that he knew Draco would agree with.

“You’re damn right we aren’t going to just sit around and wait. By the time Dumbledore makes contact with the Order and they start looking for Voldemort it’ll take half the year to find him.” Draco was annoyed at Ron’s astounded expression. “Look, I know about the Order, alright? So stop thinking you have to be all secretive about it. Besides, if we’re going to get her back we need to at least be honest and civil with each other about everything. And I’ll start by saying that I know my mother has some idea of where the Death Eaters are. Our first step is to figure out a way to get to her so that she can tell us.”

Ron looked utterly flabbergasted. Draco was sure that Ron had never in a million years expected to make an alliance with him. But desperate times called for desperate measures and they needed to work together on this. Both of them wanted Ginny home safely - and as soon as possible.

Ron stopped walking and stood to face Draco. “What about the floo? Can you use it again to get to the Manor?”

Draco shook his head. “I’m sure Mother shut it down the first chance she got. She won’t want me showing up there and risking my safety. Besides – even if she hasn’t - Professor Snape will be expecting that. He’ll be watching it like a hawk.”

“Hum…” Ron looked as though he was mulling something over in his head. “You can Apparate to the Manor, right?”

Draco rolled his eyes. Was this the best Ron could come up with? “Weasley, you thick headed…of course I can’t Apparate to the Manor from here—“

“I didn’t say from here, Malfoy. Can you Apparate to the Manor if you aren’t at Hogwarts?”

Draco was slightly perplexed, but it was obvious that Weasley had a plan. “Well, yeah. Of course.”

“Right, then. Let’s go.” Ron took off in a brisk walk with Draco hot on his heels.

“Weasley, bloody hell…would you just tell me what it is you’re on about?”

Ron looked over his shoulder at Draco. “I will. But we need to find Harry, first.”

Draco stopped dead in his tracks. “NO!”

Ron spun around to look at him. Draco stood with his arms across his chest as though he weren’t going to move another step. Ron’s patience had all but completely dissolved. “This isn’t a game anymore, Malfoy. You’re the one who wants honesty and civility here. I have an idea that involves Harry’s help – so if you have a better plan, go ahead and let me know. Otherwise, put your childish jealousy to rest for awhile so that we can save my sister.”

Draco’s face was red with anger. “I’m not jealous of Potter! How dare you start accusing me of something when you have absolutely no idea!”

Ron spat out his words with as much anger as Draco had shown to him. “Look, all I’m saying is that you’ve acted like a prat since the moment we--“

“What’s going on?” Ron and Draco both looked up as Harry and Hermione approached them from the staircases. Neither one of them knew what to say.

Harry asked again, “Where in bloody hell have you two been?”

Ron searched Draco’s face, still glaring at him all the while, for any sign of whether he would be the one to tell Harry what was going on. When Draco said nothing, Ron knew it was time to spill it – but he was just afraid of being overheard.

“Look,” Ron paused for a moment mulling it all over until he had an idea. “There’s something that Malfoy and I need to tell you. Follow me.”

As Ron began to climb the stairs, Hermione spoke up. “Ron? Where are we going?”

He turned around to face all three of them. “To the Room of Requirement.”
Leave a Review