Chapter 26 – A Dream So Real

With shaking hands, Draco deposited a pile of books in his dormitory and sat down on the edge of the bed. He was thankful that he was the only one in the room so that he could take the time to regain his composure. He’d never been more fearful about what it was he was about to do. It wasn’t even so much the idea of Voldemort that terrified him, but of finding Ginny gravely injured. The curious news that Dobby brought to him regarding Draco’s mother had only added to the perpetual motion of it all.

He let his head fall back against the mattress and looked up at the drapes surrounding his four-poster. Everything suddenly looked small and meaningless to him now. For years he’d done nothing short of belittling his school and antagonizing most of the other students. But something had changed in him. His reflection in the mirror was the same, yet it was as though he’d left that identity behind. The image in the mirror screamed at him to retrieve his lost self, but Draco couldn’t hear it. He refused to succumb to the teachings of his father no matter how much he loved him. Ginny was more important to him than that.

Draco let his eyelids fall shut and Ginny’s face immediately swam into view. He wanted to reach out and touch her soft smile…trail his finger along her cheek until he tucked the hair behind her ear as he so often did. He imagined wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her closer, letting her head fall against his chest. Draco couldn’t get over how entirely whole he felt. He could smell the scent of her hair so clearly that it invoked a string of memories. They flashed through his brain more quickly than the scenery beneath him as he flew over the countryside near the Manor. He was reliving the moment that she bumped into him in the Quidditch Pitch. She had been so strong willed and had never hesitated to put him in his place. The fire in her eyes had tormented him day and night, causing him restless sleep. The denial he felt had fueled the grief he continued to cause her for months following the incident until Draco had finally hit a wall. When he was able to confess to himself and to Ginny how much he loved her, his life had taken on new meaning. He hadn’t realized it at the time, still being quite unwilling to relinquish his past, but Draco now knew that things would never be the same for him. Ginny loved him for himself. It wasn’t the status that he was born into…it was everything inside him. She was in love with Draco Malfoy. And if his name were something other than Malfoy she would love him, still. And that feeling alone could keep him content for the rest of his life.


XXXXXXXXXXXX


Draco heard the familiar cackle of laughter as Voldemort and two other cloaked figures stood above him. The two figures reached out in unison, each grabbing an arm, and dragged Draco across the stone floor. A silver ring bearing the Malfoy crest was evident on the hand of one of the figures. His father was the one who extended Draco’s left arm out toward Voldemort as Draco struggled to free himself from Lucius’ grasp.

“No! I won’t do this, Father!” Draco screamed.

“Stop struggling, Draco,” yelled Lucius Malfoy. “You have disgraced me for the last time.”

Draco couldn’t believe his father would put him through this. He’d never lived up to Lucius’ expectations, this is true, but the circumstances were beyond anything he could ever comprehend. He was Lucius’ only son. How could he do this to his own flesh?

“It’s time for your initiation, boy.” Voldemort cackled again. “You’re a filthy traitor in my eyes and you
will work for my forgiveness. You’re one of us now, Draco. Tonight…you’ll begin tormenting the little wench and this shall serve as your punishment. After she’s suffered to my satisfaction, you’ll end your relationship with her properly. Perhaps then you’ll be reminded as to where your loyalties lie.”

Draco knew he needed to escape. They were doing inconceivable things to Ginny and would be insisting that Draco finish her off. He knew he could never do such a thing and would end his own life before he’d ever harm her.

He jerked his arm as hard as he could, but his father and the other Death Eater were too much for him. Voldemort’s hand floated above Draco’s forearm and a burning beam of light in the shape of a skull with a serpent through its mouth cast down onto Draco’s skin. He writhed in anguish, and used all of his energy to pull his arm from the brand that was being placed on his body.

It was too late. The Death Eaters released their hold on Draco, but the force of his effort to escape resulted in hitting the stone floor quite hard. The impact caused his face to scrape against the surface of the stone, sending a stinging sensation to his eyes. Draco blinked back the small tears that had gathered in the corners, trying all the while to regain his focus from the pain. He flipped over onto his back to stare up at Voldemort.

“My, my.” Voldemort’s tone was icy. “Are those tears I see, Draco? Lucius, this simply will not do. Punish your son.”

With that, Lucius extended a wand toward his only child and spat his words out with triumph. “With pleasure, my Lord.”

“CRUCIO!”


“Draco! Draco, wake up – stop moving, mate!” Blaise’s voice was a distant ringing in Draco’s ears, at first - but the crescendo of it caused him to become aware of his surroundings. The realization began to sink in that he was, in fact, dreaming. Draco sat straight up in bed with sweat dripping from his forehead. He was still unable to focus, but he touched his face with his hands to feel the pain that had certainly been there moments before. It was smooth.

“You were having another nightmare, mate.” Blaise stepped back and let Draco have his space. “Was it Ginny?”

Draco took a breath, blinking several times. “Not this time. It was…I – I honestly don’t think I want to talk about it.” He was trying to block out the images in his head of what had just happened. What if he were seeing the future somehow? A premonition dream of some sort.

“Are you sure?” Blaise prompted him. “Get it off your chest, mate.”

Draco started to shake his head no, but hesitated as he looked down at his left forearm. The Dark Mark was absent from his skin, but he could feel the burning sensation as though it were there, yet invisible. He rubbed the area with his right hand and looked up at Blaise. Blaise seemed to understand immediately.

“It was just a dream, Draco.” He leaned in closer to look at Draco’s arm. “There’s nothing there.”

“But it was so real. He was going to make me do horrible things to Ginny.” He stared across the room at nothing in particular. “Said I was ‘one of them’ now.”

“Look,” Blaise sat down on the bed across from Draco much as he’d done earlier that day. “You’re worried. The girl you love is missing and the most powerful wizard we’ve ever known is holding her captive. You’re bound to be having nightmares about this. But you need to think positive so that we can accomplish this mission. And…actually - that’s why I’m here.”

Draco looked up at his face as Blaise spoke again. “It’s time. You need to take your post. I’m going to slip into the Prefects’ Bathroom and wait. In a few hours we’ll be able to sneak out of the castle.” Blaise gave Draco a determined look. “We’re going to go and get her, mate.”

Draco looked as though he were mulling this over in his head before he nodded his head yes, in answer. “Thanks, Blaise.”

Blaise gave him a smile and turned to leave the dormitory, but Draco spoke up, halting his friend’s footsteps. “If I’ve ever…said anything to you in the past that-

Blaise held up his hand to silence Draco. “It’s okay, mate. It’s forgotten.”

He gave Blaise a half smile and then stared at his feet while Blaise left the dorm. Draco had more support than he could ever ask for. He knew it was time to keep his head…and get her back.

XXXXXXXXXXXX




Ginny rolled over on her bed, lips forming into a gentle smile as her gaze locked onto a set of stormy gray eyes. Draco moved closer to her and laid his hand against her cheek. He began to speak and she watched his mouth moving - slowly, carefully…almost silently. She could feel the breath on her face as Draco softly stroked her ginger strands of hair. She wanted to feel his kiss. As Ginny looked up into his eyes she raised her head to meet his, but he touched a finger to her mouth and smiled. “Not yet,” he said. “I’m coming for you tonight.”

Ginny closed her eyes and allowed his soft voice and gentle touch to soothe her. “I’ll be ready for you,” she said.


She felt a hand shaking her awake and knew immediately that it wasn’t Draco. Her mind came rushing back to her and she opened her eyes to stare Nadella in the face.

“Wake up, girl. Quickly! I have something for you.” Nadella seemed rather panicked as she shook Ginny from her sleep.

“What…what is it?” Ginny wanted so badly to be back in her dream - being comforted by Draco. It was the most solace she’d had since she left his grasp nearly 36 hours ago. She could feel the traces of his touch on her face as though he had truly been there. Ginny tried to hide her disappointment and gave her full attention to the generous old woman.

“He will be here tonight and you will need this.” Nadella took a thin object from her robes and Ginny recognized it immediately. It was her wand.

“Where did you--?”

“There’s no time,” said Nadella. “I must explain something.”

The urgency in Nadella’s voice was enough to frighten Ginny. She had no idea who he was, but she assumed by Nadella’s anxiety that it was Voldemort. He would come to take her life tonight and Nadella was attempting to give Ginny an opportunity to defend herself by returning her only source of protection. It was a meaningful gesture; one that confused her to some degree, seeing as Nadella was an obvious servant of Voldemort’s and put herself at great risks to help her. But Ginny was fully aware that she was no match for him; she didn’t have enough hatred in her heart to perform a Killing Curse against Voldemort and she would, therefore, be powerless against him.

“Thank you, Nadella, for all your help…but I won’t be having need of the wand.” Nadella started to silence her, but Ginny continued. “I’m no match for him. I’ll only make it worse if I attempt to defend myself.” Tears began to sting Ginny’s eyes at the thought of what was going to happen to her…of never seeing Draco again.

“Silly girl,” Nadella shook her head in annoyance, “the Dark Lord isn’t coming for you. Now take your wand as you will need to help. He’ll be here tonight.”

Ginny blinked the tears away, now utterly mystified. “Help? Help who?”

Nadella was silent for a moment, before she slowly answered. “The one that has gotten you into this mess. And if I’m not mistaken, he’s also the one you’re in love with, isn’t he?” Nadella looked her directly in the eyes while Ginny gasped.

“Draco? Draco’s coming here? Why? Why would he do that? He’ll be killed. He doesn’t stand a chance getting me out of here. And how do you know this? Please stop keeping me in the dark, Nadella. Who are you and why are you helping me?” Ginny was full of so many emotions that she could hardly ask a proper question.

“He’ll be alright. You must trust me.” Nadella nodded her head slightly as she said these words.

“How can I trust someone that I don’t even know? How is it that you even know about Draco and why can’t you explain these things to me? ”

“Because there is no time, girl. Now, listen to me so that I may finish.” Nadella sat down on the edge of the mattress and opened Ginny’s left hand. She placed a small silver object inside it and Ginny recognized it immediately. It was Draco’s Prefect badge.

Ginny gasped. “Where did you…he’ll find this! Voldemort will find this, Nadella, and he’ll—“

“Quiet! He won’t be able to retrieve it or the wand, I promise you that. Keep it well hidden under the mattress and when Draco comes, give it to him the very first chance you get. Do it secretly because this will be your only way out and will work only when your lives are in the gravest of danger, do you understand?”

“No.” Ginny shook her head, feeling flustered and exasperated at the entire situation. “Nadella, no – I don’t understand any of this.” She hated feeling so helpless.

“The badge is a portkey, Ginny. Understand that he MUST NOT witness you giving Draco the badge or you’ll never manage a way out. And remember that the port will not open until the last possible moment, just before the Dark Lord will have his vengeance on Draco – so make certain that the others are close and that you are all touching the badge at this precise moment.”

“Others?”

Nadella nodded her head yes, in answer. “He won’t come alone.”

Ginny thought for a moment. “Ron! My brother will be with him, won’t he? And Harry?” Ginny’s fear began to grow even more. What if Voldemort killed them all? What if she missed this opportune moment to use the portkey? She and Draco had taken a chance with their lives when they began seeing each other, but she couldn’t live with the fact of her friends dying for an oversight that she and Draco had made. Her heart began to fall fast.

Nadella must have seen the discouragement in Ginny’s eyes, for her face softened as she gently spoke. “You will all be much more competent than you think and you mustn’t fear, Ginny. Be strong, use your talent and keep a steady head. Now…I must go before I’m seen.”

Nadella started to turn and leave the tiny room, but Ginny held her hand out to stop her. “I can’t do this! What if Voldemort knows I’ve given the badge to Draco? Nadella, I don’t want to get him killed!”

“You won’t. I promise you that he won’t be the one to die tonight…”

“But they’re going to make him a Death Eater! Voldemort told me that he would have Draco deal with me himself. Nadella, Draco would never hurt me, but what if he falls as a victim to the curse? What if Voldemort controls him? And what do you mean he won’t be the one to die tonight? Who will?”

Nadella placed her hands over Ginny’s to calm her. Ginny looked into her eyes and had the same familiar feeling as the time before. “I can’t explain all of these things to you, Ginny. I’m only asking that you trust me and be confident in yourself and in Draco.”

At hearing these words, Ginny knew she’d been defeated and rested her case. She had no other choice but to trust the only person that was looking after her for the time being.

Nadella gave Ginny a sad smile and turned to leave the room, once more. She’d almost gotten to the iron door when Ginny’s face took on a questioning look as she slowly spoke her next words.

“Nadella, please…tell me who you are.”

The old woman turned on her heel and looked Ginny directly in the eyes as she thought for a moment, then answered. “Someone who loves him, too.”

Ginny wore an astounded expression as she began to respond, but Nadella had suddenly disappeared.
Leave a Review