Chapter 29: And So it Begins

The hair on the back of Draco’s neck stood up the moment he entered the house. Only a fool would deny the frightening tension one felt upon stepping into the home of the Dark Lord, but Draco gathered his resolve and lit his wand to gaze around the place.

The steps had led them down into a massive damp cellar of some sort. The walls were made of stone and adorned with clumps of moss and mold growing from the mortar. A pair of chains, equipped with large wrist shackles, dangled from one of the walls. Draco shuddered at the thought of what they might have been used for and diverted his gaze away from them before his mind could wander too far. Even more distressing than the chains, however, were the unbelievably tall ceilings. The room was enchanted in much the same way that Hermione’s trunk had been and didn’t seem to fit the outside of the house. It must have been close to seventy feet up to the first floor and the only way to reach it was by means of a winding, rather dilapidated wooden staircase. It didn’t look safe enough to climb, but appeared to be the only way to get up to the other portions of the house.

Draco heard a stick crack and with a startled expression quickly turned to look back at the foot of the steps that led outside. Harry stood in the entrance, a sheepish look on his face, and shrugged his shoulders apologetically. Potter had scared the living hell out of him, but Draco shook off his annoyance and motioned for Harry to bring the others.

As they gathered together in the cellar he could, once again, see the waves of terror flashing in their eyes. Draco was nervous as well, but an invisible force was pulling him in Ginny’s direction. He could feel her presence and it comforted him in a way he couldn’t describe; Draco wasn’t about to leave without her.

He shot his head in the direction of the wooden staircase and whispered. “Any ideas on how to get up that thing?”

Not surprising to him, Hermione spoke up. “We could use Reparo on it easily enough, but if someone comes down here while we’re in the house they’ll know we’re here. I don’t know that we should chance it.”

Draco nodded his head, agreeing wholeheartedly with Hermione. They certainly didn’t need to leave a trail behind them and repairing the staircase was too big of a risk.

“Anyone have any other ideas?” he looked hopeful.

The silence was deafening until Pansy offered her suggestion. “What if one of us tried to climb the staircase to see if it’s stable?”

“I don’t know about that,” Draco said. “It’s awfully high up, Pansy, and it doesn’t look as though it could even support you or Hermione and you girls are by far the lightest of us all.”

Her cheeks were pink as she shrugged off his response as though it had caused her embarrassment. He knew Pansy was only trying to be as intelligent with her answers as Hermione.

Hermione took a breath as she studied the staircase and stepped back from the others, pulling her wand as she did so. “I’ve got an idea.” With that, she swished and flicked the thin piece of wood as she directed it toward Draco. “Wingardium Leviosa!”

Draco’s body began to rise from the dirt floor of the cellar and float gently toward the ceiling, passing each turn in the winding staircase as he went. As he approached the top of the room, he could finally make out a heavy, wooden door leading off of an iron balcony several feet above his head. Just as he drew near the foot of the balcony his body suddenly dropped about six feet. Draco looked down in sheer panic to see Hermione struggling with her concentration due to the distance between them. Harry and Ron stepped up with their wands to assist her and Draco felt the spell give him a sudden boost until he was able to land his feet on the balcony. Giving a sigh of relief, he was thankful of how secure it felt compared to the decaying staircase below.

Draco took one last breath and peered over the edge, whispering as loudly as he could in hopes that they’d hear him. “Nice job!” It was only now that Draco realized how very high up he was, but he’d barely had time to finish that thought before Pansy was quickly rising in the air toward him. She looked fear stricken and white as a ghost, however, she smiled at Draco as he helped her onto the balcony next to him. Blaise and Ron weren’t far behind her and then it was only Harry and Hermione left at the bottom of the room.

Draco whispered loudly again, wondering if this method of communication were even possible. “What’s wrong?”

Hermione had heard him. “You’ll need to help me get Harry up there. I can only get him so far and you’ll have to cast the charm and raise him up the rest of the way.”

“Right,” said Draco. He waited for Hermione to lift Harry off of the ground; once Harry had made it halfway up to the balcony he and Ron stepped in to bring him up the rest of the way. It was only then that Draco realized their predicament. How were they going to get Granger off the ground?

Pansy spoke up again, clearly reading Draco’s thoughts. “If all five of us try it, we’re bound to lift her up – even from this distance.”

“You think?” Draco seemed a little uncertain.

“Just have a little faith, Malfoy.” Harry’s voice held a hint of sarcasm, but all shreds of it were gone once Pansy flashed her angry eyes at him. “Right. Let’s try it and see.”

They each lined up along the railing and, in unison, cast their charms to bring Hermione up from the floor. They were concentrating so hard with their eyes closed that no one realized how quickly they’d managed to get her to the top of the room.

“Ahem,” said Hermione. “A little assistance, please?”

They opened their eyes just as Ron held out his hand to pull Hermione onto the balcony where he gave her a bit of a sheepish grin.

Once all six had collected their thoughts Draco addressed the group in a hushed voice. “I’m going to try the door. If I can get through I’ll go and have a look and come back to get you if it’s safe.”

“Wait!” Ron’s voice was entirely audible and Hermione motioned a finger to her lips to quiet him. He dropped his tone. “I’m coming with you, Malfoy.”

“Ron…” Draco was in no mood to argue with him so he declined to finish his sentence. “Alright - let’s go.”

Draco’s hand closed over the doorknob and he was surprised when it turned full circle. His breath was held as he pushed against the wood that separated them from whatever lay on the other side and he raised his wand carefully while poking his head through the entrance to peer down a long hallway.

Candles were burning in their sconces every few feet, illuminating the walls with a variety of flickering shadows. Many evil-looking suits of armor slowly turned their heads to gaze at him with unfriendly stares. Draco took note of the axes held fast in their hands, ready to strike, yet his only hope was that they hadn’t been bewitched to inform the Dark Lord that he was here. Keeping his guard, Draco carefully stepped into the hall to have a closer look and his eyes fell onto a row of antique tables pressed against the walls. Atop the tables sat an odd collection of artifacts held within small, dust-covered display cases. Leaning toward the tables, he gathered a closer look. Each case held a wand and a small, silver plaque engraved with a name. Draco walked a few feet, taking in the names slowly. “Edgar Bones, Dorcas Meadows, Frank and Alice Longbottom, James and Lily Pott—“

Draco stopped still in his tracks as reality hit him dead on. These weren’t artifacts, but prizes. Trophies to mark the many wizards who’d had their lives or sanity robbed by Voldemort. They were the parents and relatives of some of his classmates - parents that these young witches and wizards had never known in their true form…or had never known at all.

He tried to take a breath, but his chest weighed down on him so tightly that he couldn’t inhale and, for the first time, Draco was realizing just how much trouble Ginny could be in. He’d been so naïve all these years, living his entire life on the safe side as the only son to one of the most dedicated servants Voldemort had ever known. Draco gasped suddenly as his forehead broke into a sweat. Lucius would be here! How could he have been so careless as to overlook such a thing? Would his father help him, or would he turn against his only son and help Voldemort kill he and Ginny both? And if it came between his father living or dying would Draco do the right thing and be there for his family, or rescue the only girl he’d ever loved?

Draco felt a tap to his shoulder and spun around in a panic with his wand arm outstretched. Ron had taken an immediate step back and Draco saw the others standing just inches behind.

“You alright?” Ron’s words seemed distant as Draco focused on his concerned face, pulling himself back to present day and attempting to slow the heart rate that had begun racing just moments before.

“Y-yes.” Draco found it hard to speak. He motioned toward the others standing behind Ron. “I said I’d come back and get you if it was safe.”

“We weren’t letting you go any further without us, Draco,” said Pansy.

“That gasp of yours echoed down the hallway a moment ago,” said Blaise. “We were concerned.”

Draco looked surprised. “Are you serious?” he said. “I…I was trying to be so quiet.” He balled up his fists in frustration as he laid his back against the wall and slumped to the floor. The anger that Draco felt within himself was evident as he cradled his head in his hand and took deep breaths, working hard to keep his composure so that he could address the others. “I don’t honestly know what to do from here. I’m going to end up getting Ginny killed - and the rest of us for that matter. Hell, I’ll probably even get my own family killed for all this trouble I’ve caused.”

Pansy slumped down next to Draco and put her arm across his shoulders. “Draco…she’s here somewhere. We’ve come this far and we’re going to find her and get the hell out of this place.”

“But Pansy, my father’s here. Your father might be here. Can you honestly look me in the eyes and say you’re prepared to kill your own father just so that we can all escape safely?”

Pansy diverted her eyes from Draco as the entire group fell silent; no one noticing the fact that Harry was approaching the antique tables, walking along each one as he ran his hand gently across the dust that covered each case. His face was expressionless as he peered into the display case that held his parents’ wands.

Ron stepped away from the group to stand at Harry’s side, taking in the contents just as Harry was doing. He put his hand on Harry’s shoulder, but Harry jerked it away and spun on his heel, directing his words at Draco as he did so.

“I don’t want to hear your pitiful excuse for giving up, Malfoy.” He stepped toward Draco, glaring down into his eyes as Draco stared up into his. “You obviously love her - going against everything you’ve ever believed to be with her. So you can stop feeling sorry for yourself, get up off that sodding floor and do what you came to do.” With that, he turned again and smashed his fist through the display case that held his parents’ wands; snatching them up triumphantly.

No one spoke. Not one of them moved a muscle as they watched Harry’s chest heave in and out as the blood began to trickle from his knuckles. Ron’s eyes were slightly narrowed as he made the first move, stepping forward to hold out his hand to help Draco from the floor. Draco took one last deep breath and grasped the hand that pulled him to his feet, wondering all the while if anyone had heard Harry’s outburst.

They each stood looking at one another until Hermione took the initiative to reign once more. “I know we’re all thinking it, so let’s get out of this hallway before we’re discovered. Our best bet is to keep moving and we have absolutely no idea where Ginny could be so we need to hurry and cover more of the house. I think we should split up.”

“Split up?” Ron’s eyebrows gave a vertical leap. “You’re nutters!”

“Ron, it’s the best way.” Hermione lowered her tone. “You saw how large the first room of this house was and that was just the cellar. We have no idea how big this place is and where he’s keeping Ginny. Besides…” her voice trailed off before she took a short breath and finished her sentence. “If all six of us fail at once there’ll be no chance of saving her.” Ron swallowed hard and became quite interested in the laces of his shoes, clearly not wanting to admit that she was right.

As Hermione glanced over at Draco he took his turn to speak. “So which is it, then? Two groups of three or three groups of two?”

“I think two groups of three should do it. What do you think, Harry?”

Harry nodded at Hermione. “Sounds about right. How do we split?”

“I think you and Pansy should go with Draco. Ron, Blaise and I can handle ourselves and go in another direction. And…” She summoned everyone closer together and reached into the pocket of her robes. “I brought these.” A handful of gold coins suddenly came into view and she dropped one into each of their hands. “Ron and Harry already know how to use these so the rest of you listen carefully. The coins are cast with a Protean Charm and will glow red should anything change, meaning that if we get separated and one of us is in trouble we can use the coins as a means of communication. If you find Ginny, get into trouble or lose your group for any reason at all – use the coin to let the rest of us know.”

“But, wait…” Harry rubbed the coin once over with his thumb. “How will we know where to find the person who is using the coin? And furthermore, how do we even know which person it is?”

“I knew you’d ask,” Hermione said, “but I’ve already taken care of that ahead of time. Remember when the numbers on the coins would change…to let the DA know what day to meet?”

Harry nodded.

“Well, instead of dates appearing on the coins there will be coordinates. All you need to do is Apparate to the coordinates on the coins.”

“I guess that sounds easy enough,” said Pansy. She hesitated. “Nice work, Granger.”

Hermione’s cheeks flushed a bit and she smiled. “I just want us to be as safe and prepared as we can be. We have one shot at this, so let’s do it right.”

After looking over their coins once more they divided off into their groups, giving each other one last look of reassurance. “Good luck,” said Malfoy to Ron, Blaise and Hermione.

“You too,” said Blaise. “Let’s see which one of us finds her first.”

Draco gave a half smile before he and his group separated from the others at the end of the hall.
Leave a Review