Chapter 31 – Back in Your Arms

Narcissa was only half aware of her footsteps and heavy breathing as she ran along the passages with Pansy and Harry fast on her heels. She’d made a promise to her son. She would find the others and bring them back as quickly as she could.

It’s going to be close. I have to hurry and get them there in time.

She tried to shake the thoughts from her head as she picked up the pace, focusing hard on the winding corridor before her as she took on Nadella’s image once more.

Narcissa’s mind began drifting again, this time to the expression on Draco’s face at discovering she was a Metamorphagus. There were few wizards who knew of her many talents and she’d hated leaving her son in such haste without a viable explanation. Draco had been correct in saying a pure-blood was unable to possess such qualities and that fact alone would have caused the Blacks, her mother most of all, more trouble than she could imagine. Because of this, and fearing the worst should Lucius realize her true lineage, her metamorphing abilities had been kept a secret throughout the years.

But this skill wasn’t her only secret. Narcissa had been blessed with the gift of second-sight since she was a small child. It had always frightened her and she’d taken great lengths to avoid looking into the future; however since Lucius had been thrown into Azkaban she’d found herself turning to it more often. The last twenty four hours had been the most useful of all. Indeed, she had seen what would happen tonight and hoped the damage would not be too great for her only son. She wanted him returned to safety to live a life with the girl he’d given his heart to, no matter the price that Narcissa, herself, would be forced to pay. Narcissa prayed with everything in her that the Dark Lord would not discover this gift. She’d never acknowledged having such a talent, knowing full well that she would be forced to use it during his annihilation.

Still, the Dark Lord was aware that Narcissa was an accomplished Occlumens even though he’d never tormented her about it. Perhaps was only tolerant of it in order to allow her the means to exercise this ability, so that when the day came that she was forced to join them those skills would be well practiced.

Narcissa’s mind suddenly came into focus as she noticed the people in front of her. Hermione, Ron and Blaise stood at the end of the corridor all looking somewhat shaken. Shards of broken glass lay at their feet as though they’d been shattered from the ricocheting of spells. Their wands were pointed and ready to strike at Narcissa.

“Stop!” yelled Harry panting rather heavily, as he darted around Narcissa to halt their unnecessary actions.

“Harry, thank goodness!” said Hermione. “What is it? And…where’s Malfoy?”

“He’s gone to get Ginny,” said Harry, now smiling. “We’ve found her!”


XXXXXXXX



Ginny could feel his warmth spreading over her like a slow burning flame, encasing her aching body in a passionate embrace. His touch was soft. He carefully brushed the hair back from her forehead before placing a kiss along her temple. She could feel his warm breath on her face and smell the scent of his skin that invoked a string of memories. Her muscles relaxed and she smiled up at the gray eyes staring deep into hers. Ginny’s hand reached slowly toward the profile and, as her fingers made contact with his cheek, his eyes began to well up with tears. Soaring head-on into reality, Ginny sat up abruptly. This was no dream.

“Draco?” Ginny whispered, apprehensively. The last twenty-four hours suddenly came rushing back to her and the thought of Voldemort finding him here caused a knot to form in her chest. “It’s…is it really you?”

The answer she got in return came in the form of a hungry pair of lips stealing her breath away. He’d come for her. Ginny knew that Draco’s punishment would be far greater than hers should he be discovered, but that hadn’t stopped him. He was here to bring her home. A single tear escaped one of her eyes as his fingers ran through the strands of her hair. He pulled her head closer, trying to engulf every last inch of her through the power of his kiss. Ginny went limp as the sensation of his touch stroked every nerve throughout her body. She had no regrets. The adoration she felt for Draco would survive anyone and anything and no amount of persecution from Voldemort would take away the piece of her soul now living within the boy she loved.

At long last, Draco broke away and searched her face, their eyes meeting once more. “I’m here, Ginny,” he choked. “I’m here and I’ll never let him take you away from me again.” The tears were rolling down his cheeks now, washing over the guilt she knew he must have felt since her disappearance. He blinked twice before glancing down at her cuts and bruises. “God, Ginny…I’m so—“

“Shhhh.” She touched a finger to his lips to silence the apology. “I’d withstand it all again just to be with you, Draco. I love you.”


XXXXXXXXXX


Draco’s heart seemed to stop beating at the sound of her voice. He felt more shame than he could ever put into words, yet the smile on her face…the touch of her skin…the sincerity in her eyes told him everything he needed to know. She still loved him. And at this moment nothing else mattered but returning her safely back to Hogwarts.

His eyes ran swiftly over her body, searching for any signs of abuse that would need immediate attention. “Can…can you walk?” asked Draco, fighting hard to keep the waver in his voice from escaping his lips.

“Yes.” She stood up shakily. “I couldn’t manage it very well at first but…” the hesitation was evident in her pale face, “someone’s…someone’s been taking care of me.”

Draco stared deep into Ginny’s eyes as he now tried hard to keep the worry for his mother’s safety at bay. “I know. It was my-“

“I know who it was,” Ginny interrupted. “I finally figured it out.” Ginny paused. “She…she’s been really wonderful to me, Draco.”

“So, she told you, then?” he was unsure as to why this pleased him so much, but it did.

Ginny nodded her head a bit in answer. “Well…yes. Not in so many words, but I just knew.”

He continued to stare at her as if seeing her for the first time, a tear sliding down his cheek once more. “Ginny, I’m so glad you’re…” But Ginny’s soft lips cut him off as they found his mouth once more. Draco pulled her into the protection of his chest and the heat from her body radiated against him. He knew they needed to hurry, but this feeling of longing…he was unable to let go of it.

A noise outside the room brought their attention to the small window in the door. “Someone’s coming,” Ginny whispered.

“Quickly, we need to get back through the wall!” In one swift movement Draco had carefully scooped Ginny up into his arms and began to cross the tiny room to the spot where he’d previously entered.

“Wait!” Ginny motioned toward the place she’d been sleeping. “Your mother brought me things. I have to get them.”

Knowing exactly what Ginny was referring to, Draco flicked his wand, summoning them from under the mattress and into Ginny’s open hands.

“Let’s go!” He turned toward the wall again as Ginny looked at him with blatant confusion. “You can trust me,” he said. “My mother took care of a way out.”

Draco began to step through the wall and into the mirror on the other side when a muffled voice, yet ever so familiar, reached his ears.

“Is the girl still inside?” the voice said.

“Yes.” said the other voice. “Master’s been waiting for him to arrive, sir. But it looks as though her knight in shining armor won’t be coming after all.”

Draco heard a slap. And then another one, before…

“Are you calling my son a coward Mr. Pettigrew?”

Draco’s eyes met Ginny’s. She had heard it, too.

”N-n-no, sir. Only that maybe young Mr. Malfoy has come to his senses, sir…and never really loved the girl in the first place.”

Lucius gave a small grunt in return as he began to open the door. Draco held his head high as Ginny vehemently shook her head no, silently begging him to forget it. He gave her one last comforting look before slipping her through the wall to safety and turned just in time to let his father have a glimpse of him.

Lucius’ eyes widened at the sight of his son and he seemed unable to speak. There was unmistakable concern hidden within the lines of his father’s face before Lucius raised his wand toward his only son.

“Don’t make me stop you, Draco.” Lucius’ jaw was stiffly set, as though afraid to move. “Don’t let this piece of filth rob you of the life you were born to lead. We need you, Draco. The Dark Lord needs you.”

Draco couldn’t speak. All the feelings of disdain began to fill up inside of him, flooding the gates until not one drop of respect for his father remained within him. He took a breath and steadied his voice. “I love her, Father.”

“Don’t do this, Draco!” His father’s tone held desperation as Draco stuck one leg through the wall.

“I’m sorry, Father.” His eyes were narrowed as he shot Lucius one last look of contempt before disappearing through the wall.
To Be Continued.
andromeda77 is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 40 members. Members who liked Don't Wake Me From This Dream also liked 926 other stories.
Leave a Review