Chapter 8: - Hermione’s Visit


“That a girl, Ginny! Another 10 points!” Fred’s voice boomed through the air as Ginny swiftly sailed the Quaffle through one of the homemade hoops. They were winning. She beamed at Harry who smiled in return. Ginny, Bill and Fred were teaming against Harry, Ron and George in another game of practice. Having to do without Seekers, she and Harry were the only Chasers on the team. Fred and George took up their old Beater positions while Ron played Keeper for one end and Bill for the other. It worked out nicely when Fred, George, Bill or Charlie could come home for a short visit and even up the teams.

“Oy, Fred! You almost took my head off with that one.” Everyone laughed. George was giving his twin a hard time at nearly being knocked senseless by a Bludger. It was much easier to be hit with the Bludgers when you had only six players as opposed to fourteen. “What say we take a break? I’m parched.” He was right. Ginny was so thirsty she could drink one of Fred and George’s mysterious concoctions. And that was saying something.

They landed on the lawn near the gate and set their broomsticks against the fence. Mrs. Weasley approached them with a tray of goblets and a big pitcher of pumpkin juice. “I thought you lot might be getting famished. There are some sandwiches on the table in the garden.” Mrs. Weasley turned to leave and then stopped. “Oh, and Hermione should be arriving any time, now.”

Bill quickly kissed her goodbye and said he had something to tend to. Ginny didn’t know if it was for the Order, for Gringotts or Fleur, but for some reason she thought it might have to do with Fleur. They’d been seeing a lot of each other over the past two years and, though Bill was pretty secretive about it, the Weasleys expected an announcement sometime soon.

They settled themselves down as their mother took her leave. Sweat was pouring down their necks. It was such an unusually hot afternoon. Summers were never quite as miserable as it had been the last few days. The pumpkin juice quenched their thirst and brought some of the life back into them. They started on the sandwiches and felt as good as new within minutes.

“So,” said Fred. “This’ll be Harry and Ron’s last year at Quidditch. All the scouts will be taking note of you two this year. But hey, no pressure Ronniekins.” At seventeen, Ron stood eye to eye with the twins but that didn’t stop them from getting him a bit roused up every now and again.

George followed his brother’s lead. “Aye, mate…better make sure you don’t picture a big enormous spider being thrown at you. We’d hate to lose you to a heart attack.”

“Or a nasty fall from your broom…”

“60 feet…”

“Straight down…”

“With no net…”

“To land in Loony Lovegood’s lap…”

“Sod off, you two.” Ron smiled. “So long as Harry here doesn’t break his record and let Malfoy catch the Snitch I haven’t a care in the world. I don’t think I’d want to play Quidditch for a living, anyway.”

He glanced at Ginny after saying these words. She noticed he was still searching her face. Fully aware that her brother wasn’t stupid, Ginny did everything in her power to be as convincing as possible.

“Well, he hasn’t let him catch it yet,” was her reply. “I seriously doubt Harry will let us down.”

Ron looked at his hands and out toward the lawn as if he was mulling something over. Suddenly his face brightened and Ginny turned to see what he was staring at. A dark bushy head appeared just over the top of the gate and they all let out a shout. Hermione sat her big ginger cat on the ground to pursue the gnomes that were slowly returning to the garden.

She looked so full of life with her brown hair bouncing on her shoulders, void of her usual bag of schoolbooks. She wore brightly colored Muggle clothes that consisted of a spaghetti strap top with the words “Gnarly” across the front and a pair of washed out denim shorts.

Ginny noticed that Ron looked quite impressed with Hermione’s attire, as well, and ran forward to pick her up in a big bear hug. Harry and Ginny weren’t far behind and soon everyone was talking at once.

“It’s so good to see you guys. I would’ve come a few days sooner, but I got hung up with Mum and Dad coming back from Greece. Our flight was cancelled and we couldn’t book a return for 48 hours. But I brought everyone souvenirs!”

Ron looked interested. “Oh, you got to fly on one of those aeroplans?”

“Airplanes, Ron. Yep, but I passed my Apparition test the week before we left so it certainly beats flying airplanes or broomsticks. Too bad Mum and Dad can’t do it.” Everyone knew how badly Hermione hated to fly so this comment was unsurprising. She paused and gave a slight smile. “So, are you guys all ready to take your test?”

Ron and Harry looked a little guilty.

“Oh let me guess…” Hermione did her best to imitate Ron and Harry’s pleas. ‘Hermione, we need you to go over your notes with us so that we can pass the written examination part of the test.’ Ahem. Am I right?”

Their guilty expressions grew worse and it was Harry who answered first. “Well, we just haven’t had a lot of time to study and we thought…well, we thought…” His voice trailed off and then he smiled.

Hermione sighed. “Oh all right. It’s a good thing I expected this and brought my notes with me.”

Harry and Ron laughed. “Right, Hermione. As if you would’ve left them behind.” Ron was joking with her. “We know you’d take about two or three trunks to Hogwarts with you if you hadn’t enchanted it to hold so much more during your first year there.”

Ginny was mildly amused at Hermione’s blushing cheeks. It was news to her that Hermione’s trunk was bewitched. She knew Hermione would never risk such a thing for the chance of being expelled, but obviously being able to have every piece of parchment and book since first year was that important to her.

“Anyway,” Hermione abruptly changed the subject “what have you guys been up to the past six weeks?”

“Oh you know, antagonizing Dudley, avoiding Uncle Vernon,” said Harry.

“Cleaning the house for Mum, flying around on our brooms,” said Ron.

“Keeping the Department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes in check,” said Fred.

“Fighting off the many women that are so anxious to marry a Weasley twin,” said George.

Hermione laughed.

Ginny wanted desperately to say “lying in Draco’s arms each night.” But she heard the words “just trying to stay cool” coming out of her mouth, instead.

“I know,” said Hermione. “This weather is ghastly. Viktor asked if I wanted to visit before I returned to Hogwarts, the weather being much cooler there, but I told him I already had plans with you guys.” Ginny saw Ron flinch slightly at the mention of Viktor Krum. He hadn’t completely gotten used to the idea of Hermione having him as a pen pal.

After they caught up on news and happenings the boys flew off in the air for one last flight before dinner while Hermione and Ginny took to the kitchen with Mrs. Weasley. They all got to chatting and chopping vegetables for dinner until Mrs. Weasley suggested that they take Hermione’s luggage up to Ginny’s room. Ginny obliged and lead the way.

XXXXXXXXXXXX



“So you really think he missed me?” It was several hours after dinner and they’d retired to Ginny’s room. Hermione was grilling her about Ron’s behavior during the
last few weeks. She wished she could be more help. Truth was Ginny knew Ron missed Hermione like crazy, but she was too busy missing Draco to notice. She couldn’t tell Hermione this, of course. Though she was aching to talk it over with someone. Keeping it bottled up for much longer was going to drive her mental.

Hermione ran a brush through her hair as Ginny answered. “You know he missed you. I don’t have to tell you that.” She was putting away a few of Hermione’s things and laid a soft blue bag inside her vanity drawer.

“I just wish your brother would stop being such a prat and tell me. This is the last year at Hogwarts and I want it to be special. I want to feel special.”

They’d had this conversation a few times before and Ginny was no fool. She knew Hermione had the same feelings for Ron as he did for her, but Hermione wasn’t about to make the first move. It was Ron’s place to do something about it and if he didn’t before too long, she knew that Hermione was going to move on.

“So anyway…” Hermione gave Ginny an ornery grin, “who is this person you’re secretly seeing? I would’ve thought you’d have ‘fessed up before now.”

Ginny knew her eyes were wider than the English Channel when she looked up at Hermione. “What on earth are you talking about?”

“Oh come on, Gin. I know you’re seeing somebody. Practically the last half of term you were nowhere to be found. Your secret is safe with me.”

“I’m not seeing anybody.” Ginny took a breath and slowed her voice. “Blimey, Hermione, you sure do jump to conclusions.”

“You’re being honest?” Hermione looked both confused and hurt. Ginny assumed she didn’t believe her and she really couldn’t blame her for being put out. “It’s just that – well, you’ve always had a boyfriend in the past. I thought sure you had someone that you were hiding from Ron so he wouldn’t badger you about it.”

Ginny’s mind worked quickly. “Well I might’ve fancied someone for a bit, but that’s in the past. It’s a new year and I’m open for business so let the boys file in!”

They burst into giggles. Ginny hoped she’d avoided having to answer anything else about her “mystery man.” She hated keeping it from Hermione but it was something she must do. She wanted nothing to jeopardize her relationship with Draco.

Hermione yawned and Ginny followed. It had been a long day. She enjoyed having Hermione here with her, but she was anxious to fall into a deep sleep for obvious reasons.

“I guess we should turn in,” Ginny said.

“Yeah, I’m beat,” Hermione said. “I’ll talk to you in the morning.”

“Night, Hermione.”

“Night, Gin.”

And so they slept…
Leave a Review