Disclaimer: J. K. Rowling owns all things Harry Potter.

*****************

Coming Home


Chapter 14: Acceptance

Ginny had not taken the time to really think about Remus's suggestion. His insinuations about her feelings for Draco hit too close to home for her to contemplate them comfortably. Instead, she avoided them and stormed off to the coffee house, oozing annoyance. Either Draco didn't notice her mood or he chose to ignore it.

"Good morning!" he said cheerily.

"Do you read the Owl Post?" Ginny demanded. Draco nearly spat his coffee onto the table.

"What?!" he asked. He then got a playful gleam in his eye and said sarcastically, "Oh yes, I read it faithfully." When Ginny just stared at him, he rolled his eyes and asked, "Have I ever given you the impression that I would read something like that?"

"Well, no," Ginny said sheepishly, "But neither did Remus, and apparently he does."

"Do you want me to read the Owl Post?"

"No, but..."

"Are you trying to tell me there was a story of interest in today's Owl Post?"

"I guess... There was... A picture... Of us... Here."

"So? There was a picture of us. I guess we couldn't expect to keep our friendship secret from the press for the rest of our lives, even if we stayed in the Muggle world. What was in the article?"

Ginny blushed bright red. "Well, I didn't read it, but Remus said... He said they... We..."

"They suggested we were romantically involved?"

Ginny nodded, refusing to look at him.

"I see," said Draco. He placidly continued to sip his coffee.

After a few minutes, Ginny couldn't stand the tension. "Doesn't it bother you?"

"Not particularly."

"How are we going to deal with this?"

"Well," Draco said, the familiar smirk slowly spreading across his face, "we could give them something to really write about."

Ginny laughed nervously, not sure whether Draco was serious or not.

"I'm not joking, Ginny," Draco said. "You know how I feel about you, don't you?"

She didn't answer and didn't look at him. He continued, "I've wanted to be ‘romantically involved' with you since I met you here last summer. And I think I have given you plenty of time to get used to the idea."

Ginny knew that he was right. She just didn't want to admit it. And Remus was right as well. It was time she faced how she felt about Draco. But to do so, she would finally have to let go of Harry, and just letting things continue on as they were was so... so easy.

"Ginny," Draco said so quietly it was almost a whisper, "Can you honestly look me in the eye and tell me you feel nothing for me but friendship?"

After a moment, Ginny looked up at him. She thought back over the last several months. About how they could have a serious discussion or laugh uproariously about some stupid joke. About how Draco had given her the communication mirrors, and helped her and Evan when Flint tried to break in. She thought about how he had shown respect to her family even when they didn't return the gesture. About how jealous she had been when she thought he was dating someone else. Most importantly, she thought about how she felt happier every time she saw him. As she remembered, something in her shifted.

She looked into his eyes then looked away, blushing.

"That's what I thought," he said softly.

At that moment, a flutter of wings outside the window distracted them, as well as most of the Muggles in the coffee house. Draco slipped out into an alley to retrieve the message from the owl. His expression was serious when he returned. "It's from Shawna. She wants to meet with us, no doubt about how to deal with these...insinuations."

"What will we tell her?" Ginny asked in a small voice.

"That's up to you, but..." he paused, and Ginny looked at his closed eyes with both fear and hope. "Ginny, would you have dinner with me tonight at the Shooting Star in Hogsmeade tonight? As a date?"

She considered him carefully for a few moments. After a silence, he slowly opened his eyes. For a second, she caught the longing and disappointment in his gaze before he hid it from view. It was enough to convince her, though, and just as he seemed to give up on her, she answered him.

"I would enjoy that very much, Mr. Malfoy." The delight in his eyes made her heart leap.

"And Shawna? What should I tell her?"

"Tell her... Tell her that anything goes."

"Do you mean it?" he asked, cupping her cheek in his hand.

"I mean it," she said, looking up at him with a tentative smile.

"Oh, Ginny," he breathed, and kissed her tenderly. Her pulse raced. It was almost too much for her to bear. She nearly lost herself in the kiss, but after a moment, she pulled away.

"We're in public," she said, indicating the poodle and its owner, who were both watching with undisguised interest.

"I don't care," he whispered, kissing her earlobe.

"But I do..." she said, tearing herself away. "I'll see you at dinner?"

He nodded. "Seven o'clock?" he asked.

She smiled broadly at him, "I'll see you then."

***

Ginny's nerves were frazzled all day. She alternated between euphoria and second-guessing. Had she really made the right decision? What if it didn't work out? Would she and Draco still be able to be friends? Did she really feel more than friendship towards him? Then she would think of the way he had kissed her, and she would melt again, at least until the doubts returned.

Ginny was distracted at work. The other clinic staff started stepping out of her way if they saw her coming. She had walked into three people by lunchtime, and had dropped several items, including a glass beaker that shattered on the floor.

Mrs. Turner, her favorite patient, noticed Ginny's lack of concentration. "What is it, dear?" she asked with concern.

"What? Did you say something?" Ginny answered absently.

"What's wrong? Is it your young man?"

This managed to capture Ginny's attention. She burst out laughing. Mrs. Turner looked a bit confused until Ginny calmed down enough to explain.

"You are always asking about my young man, and I always deny that he is. But I guess he is now!"

"Oh, that's wonderful, Ginny!"

"Is it?"

"Of course! You always did protest too much when I brought him up. And I saw the way you two looked at each other that day."

"Why do people keep saying that?"

"Saying what?"

"That the way we look at each other is something special."

"Because it is. Now that you have him, hold onto him and don't let him go."

"But I don't know if it is what I really want."

"It is. I can see it in your eyes right now. You want him, but you are afraid. Let go of the fear."

"But, what if...?"

"Ginny, dear, you can trust me," Mrs. Turner said with a smile. "You remind me of myself."

"In what way?"

"I acted just the same way with Mr. Turner!"

After that, Ginny felt a little more comfortable about her decision. She was no longer second-guessing herself. She was just nervous. What would she wear? What would they talk about? Would they be the center of attention? Would the press be there? Would she make a fool out of herself and make Draco change his mind about her?

When she tripped and nearly dropped a tray full of urine samples, Dr. Perry gently suggested she take the rest of the day off.

***

Ginny spent the rest of the afternoon wandering aimlessly around her flat. She didn't even have Evan to distract her; after learning of Ginny's date, Molly had suggested that he spend the night at the Burrow. Alone, her anxieties spiraled out of control. By the time she left for dinner, she was a bundle of nerves.

The Shooting Star was the most elegant restaurant in Hogsmeade, and Ginny expected to feel out of place there. She wore the green robes that Draco had bought for her first interview with the Daily Prophet. On one hand, she was reluctant to wear robes the whole wizarding world had already seen her in, even if it was just in print. On the other hand, they were the only dressy robes she owned, and Draco had chosen them for her, so presumably he thought they suited her. But she knew deep down that it was really seeing Draco that made her nervous. She tried to convince herself to stop worrying; after all, she had eaten with Draco countless times before and had never been this antsy. But the stakes had never been so high.

When she arrived, the maitre d' recognized her immediately, and ushered her into the dining room. Draco was already there, and stood up as she entered. She couldn't look anywhere but at him. For a moment, guilty thoughts of Harry crossed her mind, but she was able to dismiss them. Draco had protected her and Evan when it mattered. And most importantly, Harry had told her to be happy, whatever happened. She could no longer deny that Draco Malfoy made her happy. Harry would approve. He would have to.

Ginny looked at Draco, and saw uncertainty in his eyes. She smiled reassuringly, and took the hand he offered. He smirked a bit before leaning over to kiss it, but she just smiled wider. He held her chair out for her.

"So, Draco," she said, once they had both been seated, "do I get to choose the wine?"

He laughed at this, and said, "If you'd like. But you'll find that the wine here is all French."

"So?"

"So, you have a predilection for New World wines."

"Ah, yes, that's true, especially when I am buying or want to drive you crazy."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, I learn faster than I let on and now know quite a bit about French wine, thanks to you. So I'm not nearly as intimidated as you would like me to be." She paused for a moment, then smiled wickedly. "But mostly, it means that if you're paying, I'm happy to order without regard to price."

"Tell me again why you weren't a Slytherin?" he asked, smiling.

"Because of my bravery, of course. After all, I am willing to date you, aren't I?"

"Yes, I guess so," Draco said appreciatively. For a moment, he looked into her eyes. "Would you like to dance?"

Ginny had been so caught up in Draco that she hadn't even realized there was music. She glanced around and saw that there was a dance floor, but that no other couples were taking advantage of it. They moved to the floor and Draco took her in his arms. Then she looked more closely at the restaurant and noticed that there was no one else there at all.

"Draco...?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Why is there no one else here?"

He grasped her tighter and looked into her eyes.

"Because I thought you would prefer not to be in the limelight, at least not for our first real date."

Ginny was touched, but then realized that this was not how things usually worked. The stopped moving abruptly. "What did you do?"

"I just offered to make up the difference to the management."

"You paid them not to let anyone else in?" Ginny was amazed. She couldn't even imagine what that had cost him.

He nodded. "It really is no big deal, even if you order the most expensive wine on the list."

"So no one is watching us?"

"Well, the restaurant staff and the band are, but they aren't likely to be indiscreet, considering what I'm paying them."

"Oh, Draco!" Ginny said, relief flooding her. "I thought this dinner was our debut for the sake of the press!"

"What?" he asked incredulously. "You thought I would want to be on display?"

"Well, this is our first time going out in the wizarding world, and you were going to talk to Shawna today, so I just assumed..."

"I'm not trying to woo the press, Ginny," he said in a husky voice. "Even though they do have their uses."

"Do you mean you...?"

"I just wanted to get you on your own so we could do this..." he said, moving closer to her. Her breath caught as she understood what he meant. And she found that she wanted it, with all her heart. When he kissed her, it felt as if the earth opened up beneath her and the skies cracked open above. This, she thought, is what a kiss should be. Her heart thundered in her chest after months of unacknowledged anticipation, and she submitted herself to pure sensation.

She didn't realize until later (much later) that she couldn't compare it to Harry's kisses, as they were on an entirely different plane. Harry's kisses had been full of sweetness and light, but this... This was thunder and lightning and a happiness she had never experienced before. When she realized this (much later) she sent a prayer out to Harry hoping he would understand, that this was what he wanted for her when he told her to be happy. But that was later, and in the moment, Ginny felt alive as she never had before, and fell into the experience.

Eventually they ate, though Ginny was hard-pressed the next day to remember what. They drank a wine that Ginny had picked at random from the wine list, and neither of them really tasted it. And they danced some more. Eventually, when the band indicated discreetly that they had already been playing much longer than was customary, Ginny and Draco left the restaurant. Wanting to make the evening last longer, they walked hand in hand through the moonlit village.

Well after midnight, Ginny began to yawn and Draco suggested they call it a night. They Apparated to just outside Ginny's flat. They stood smiling at each other for a few minutes, then Ginny whispered, "Thank you. It's been a lovely evening."

"No, I should be the one thanking you," Draco said, pulling Ginny closer to him. Confused, she looked up at him questioningly. He reached up and slowly caressed her hair. "Thank you for taking a chance on me."

"But it wasn't a matter of me taking a chance on you. It was taking a chance on myself. I was just afraid. I'm the one who has been an idiot all these months."

"Well, thank you for coming to your senses, then," he said, half smirking and half smiling.

Ginny smiled. "It probably wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for that bloody article this morning."

"Well, then," Draco said mischievously, "perhaps I have been directing my thanks in the wrong direction. I take it all back. And tomorrow I will make a generous contribution to the Owl Post."

Ginny laughed and tried to hit him playfully, but Draco caught her in a kiss before her hand hit his arm, and somehow it ended up twined in his hair instead. Several breathless minutes later, they pulled apart.

"It doesn't matter who is responsible for what," Draco said, cupping Ginny's cheek in his hand. "All that matters is that we are here together now." Ginny smiled up at him. "Good night, Ginny. I'll see you in the morning?"

"Of course. Good night, Draco. And whether you want to hear it or not, thank you." She kissed him briefly, then disappeared into her flat.




*********

A/N: Well, there you have it--Ginny has finally seen the light. Which means that my story is winding down. There should be one more full chapter and an epilogue. I hope to have both posted before I leave town at the end of next week. Thanks for the reviews!
Leave a Review