Disclaimer: J. K. Rowling owns all things Harry Potter.

A/N: Sorry for the delay! This is the last full chapter. There will be an epilogue soon.

*****************

Coming Home


Chapter 15: Reactions

While having coffee the next morning, Ginny and Draco both kept breaking out in spontaneous grins. Their hands were clasped underneath the table, interfering with their individual rituals, and causing them to burst into giggles. The woman with a daily quest for the ultimate sugar cube noticed them for the first time ever, and she glared at them for interrupting her search. This just made them laugh harder.

"Draco Malfoy, whoever would have thought you knew how to giggle?" Ginny laughed.

"I do not giggle!" he said, and burst out laughing.

"No! Of course not," Ginny said sarcastically. "Malfoys never giggle!"

"That's right! And you had better remember that!"

"I've always wondered," Ginny asked innocently, "is there a Malfoy handbook?"

"You'll just have to wait until you're a Malfoy to find out, won't you?"

Ginny's breath caught. Had he suggested what she thought he had?

Draco suddenly seemed to realize what he had said and scrambled to cover it up.

"Well, if there is such a thing, I guess I have blown it all to hell anyway. After all, ‘Thou shalt not date a Weasley' has to be pretty high on the list, doesn't it?"

The maneuver was successful because it caused Ginny to remember more pressing matters. "And if there were a Weasley handbook, I'm sure it would say, ‘Thou shalt not date a Malfoy'. How am I going to tell my brothers?"

"Bring your mother," Draco answered with a smirk. "Judging from some of the things she has said to me, she will probably be an ally."

"I guess she has been pretty supportive."

"Considering that even before your birthday she gave me her approval... yes, I think she will be a great help."

"That soon?"

"Last summer, after I kissed you the first time, your mother came to see me. She was worried about you and wanted to see me for herself. Your mum is very perceptive, and very protective."

Ginny smiled at that. He was entirely correct.

"Ginny, I knew the first time I talked to you that I would fall for you, even though I thought you were a Muggle at the time. By the time I talked to Molly, there was no use denying my feelings. She must have decided I was genuine, because she gave me her blessing and told me to take good care of you. And then she warned me about what your brothers would do to me if I didn't. That was when we planned your birthday party."

"You helped plan it? I thought you were just the one to pick me up!"

"Yes, I helped plan it. Though it didn't turn out quite the way I expected."

"No, I guess not," Ginny said, remembering how Ron had confronted him. Thinking of Ron brought her mind back to the problem at hand. "Mum has probably already told Dad, and I am sure he, Fred, and George will be okay with it. If I am happy, they will be. But that leaves the rest of my brothers and Evan."

"You should probably talk to Evan sooner rather than later. I have an appointment with Shawna this afternoon. Will you go with me to talk about how to handle the press?"

"Yes, of course. I'll call in sick, then go to the Burrow. See you later?"

Draco kissed Ginny briefly before she left, and she was so caught up in thoughts of him that she hardly noticed her trip to the alley to Disapparate.

***

When Ginny arrived at the Burrow, she found Evan poking moodily at his eggs. He looked up at her accusingly and asked, "Where were you last night? It wasn't Thursday."

Molly, who had been washing up, wiped her hands and quietly left the room. Ginny sat down across from Evan and looked at him calmly.

"I was with Draco. On a date."

Evan looked down at his mangled breakfast. "You said you were friends. You said you weren't going to date him."

"I know I said that. But things changed."

"What changed? Have you finally forgotten Dad?" Evan's voice was bitter, and he still refused to look at her.

Ginny gasped, and she automatically reached for the locket she wore around her neck--the locket that Evan had given her for her birthday. "No, Evan. I haven't forgotten your dad, and I never will. But I have realized that I have to live my life, and part of that is admitting that what I feel for Draco is more than friendship."

"But, how can you do that? I thought you loved Dad."

"I loved your father very much, but that doesn't mean I can't love other people as well."

Evan slouched further down so Ginny couldn't see his face. She knew that he was fighting off tears. "Evan," Ginny said hesitantly. "Did I ever tell you the last thing your dad said to me before he died?" Evan shook his head and looked up at her curiously. "He told me to be happy."

"Be happy?"

"Yes. He said, ‘Whatever happens, be happy.' And I have been happy for the most part, because I have had you. But... I... Draco makes me happy in a completely different way. I've missed that kind of happiness. And I am not betraying Harry by seeking it out."

"I... I guess not." Ginny got up and sat next to Evan, pulling him into a hug.

"It took me a very long time to figure that out," she said, burying her face in his hair. "So I won't mind if you don't accept it right away." She felt Evan relax in her arms. "All I ask is that you try to be happy for me."

"I'll try," he said, hugging her tightly. "I'll try."

***

After a few minutes, Molly came back into the kitchen and resumed washing up, sending Evan into the sitting room to start his lessons. Ginny offered to help Molly, and the two discussed how Ginny should tell her brothers about the change in her relationship with Draco. They agreed that Ron would probably take the news the hardest, and that he should be told last, preferably with Hermione present to help keep him calm. They decided that Ginny should Floo Charlie, and visit each of her other brothers, with the exception of Ron, at work that day. Molly confirmed that she had spoken with Arthur already, and that he had approved. "He seems like a nice enough young man," he had said. "He must not be like his father if Ginny likes him."

Just as Ginny was putting away the last of the breakfast dishes, the fire flared up and out stepped young Harry, closely followed by Ron. Ginny swallowed hard. Maybe she would have to tell Ron first after all. Ron stopped short when he saw her.

"Hey, Gin! What are you doing here? Aren't you usually at work now?"

"I took the day off," Ginny answered, looking to her mother for support. "Actually, there was something I wanted to talk to you about. Do you have a few minutes now?"

Ron nodded, glancing curiously between Ginny and Molly. Molly took young Harry to join Evan, leaving Ron and Ginny alone.

"Ron, it's probably going to become public in the next few days, so I wanted to let you know ahead of time..."

Ginny took a deep breath and looked down at her hands. "Draco Malfoy and I started dating yesterday."

Ginny had expected an outburst and when none had come after a moment, she slowly raised her head to look up at her brother. He was staring at her blankly.

After a few more moments, she couldn't take it any more. "Aren't you going to say something?"

"I... I guess I'm just surprised. I thought you already were dating."

"What?!"

"Well, after your birthday party, I assumed you were and just hadn't wanted to tell me. You were standing so close to each other that night. And since then he always seems to be with you. Then on Sunday, you both acted like you were a couple. You were both so protective..."

Ginny was shocked. But then she remembered Elsa and Mrs. Turner and realized that he wasn't the only one who had made assumptions about her relationship with Draco. Had she been too dense to see what was right in front of her face? Had it been so obvious even Ron could see it?

Ginny blushed and looked down at her hands. "It was only after what happened on Sunday that I realized what I felt for him," she said quietly.

Ron grinned and teased, "I guess hardheadedness in these matters must run in the family."

"Yeah, but it has only been six months. It took you years to figure out what you felt for Hermione. I remember thinking about locking the two of you in a broom closet until you admitted it."

They both laughed at the memories, but then Ron became serious again.

"Ginny, you know I don't like Malfoy and don't particularly trust him. But after Sunday, I have to admit that he may have changed, at least a little. And it is clear that he cares about you."

"So you aren't going to yell?"

"No," Ron said, smiling a bit. "I won't yell. But if he ever gives me any cause..."

"Thank you, Ron!" Ginny said, hugging him awkwardly. "And I will be sure to pass on your threats."

***

When Ron left, Ginny went out to talk to the rest of her brothers. She was much less nervous about their reactions. Bill smiled knowingly at her, and said that it was about time. Charlie only had time to wish her well and say that Draco seemed like a nice bloke before he was called off to tend to a rambunctious Welsh Green. Much to Ginny's chagrin, Percy asked questions that indicated that he was calculating how he could make use of the Malfoy connections. Fred and George were by far the happiest.

"It took you long enough," Fred said.

"Yeah, what finally changed your mind?" asked George.

"It couldn't have anything to do with the Owl Post, could it?" Ginny blushed at Fred's question.

"You know, Fred, I never realized it before, but Ginny does tend to let the press make a lot of her big decisions for her."

"You're right. It always seems to be either Remus or the press that does it."

"Ah, yes. Maybe we should pass this information on to Draco."

"Yes, I'm sure he would find it quite useful." By this time, the twins were grinning madly. Ginny, entirely too red for her own liking, attempted to change the subject.

"So are you two coming for dinner tonight as usual?"

"Would we ever miss dinner with our lovely sister and nephew?" asked George with mock innocence.

"Of course we wouldn't!" Fred protested. "We'll even bring dessert!"

"Oh, yes! That Truthful Trifle would be perfect!"

"Especially if Draco will be there too," added Fred hopefully.

"Don't you dare!" Ginny yelled, half laughing. "And leave Draco alone!"

"But he's an investor! We're contractually obligated to keep him up to date on our products," George said.

"Not to mention that he is practically family, now!"

Ginny swatted them both before Disapparating to her appointment with Shawna.

Draco was already in Shawna's office when Ginny arrived. He immediately gathered her into a hug. "How are you doing? How did it go? Have you told them all?"

"Yes, everyone knows now," she said, hugging him tighter. "Evan wasn't very happy about it, but he is going to try. My brothers were all surprisingly accepting, even Ron. For some reason, he actually thought we had been together since my birthday. He did threaten to turn you into a mouse and feed you to his owl if you don't behave yourself, though, so consider yourself warned. All in all, it was much better than I thought it would be."

"Then why do you look like you have been to the wars?"

"I just came from talking to Fred and George."

"Ah. That explains it."

"Is that how you talk to all your girlfriends, Draco?" Shawna asked from the doorway to her office. "You look like you've been to the wars, indeed! Maybe that's why you have been single so long." Ginny burst into laughter and followed Shawna into the other room.

***

After the meeting with Shawna, Ginny retrieved Evan from the Burrow. They played a ruthless game of Monopoly until Fred and George arrived for dinner. The four of them spent a fun-filled evening which ended with Evan sprouting a peacock tail. Draco had wanted to join them, but Ginny had said no. He still needed to talk to his mother (Ginny was grateful she wouldn't have to be present for that conversation), but more importantly, Ginny thought it would help Evan to have some time with her away from Draco. Apparently she was right. He seemed to be reassured that he wasn't going to lose her and was in much better spirits by the next morning. He didn't even protest when Ginny reminded him that it was Thursday and he would be staying at the Burrow again that night.

Ginny spent most of the day at work. She was still a little distracted, but was not a danger to herself or others as she had been on Tuesday. Draco came to pick her up in the middle of the afternoon. He didn't cause a stir in the waiting room anymore; the patients had become used to his presence. They traveled together to the offices of the Daily Prophet.

Eloise Midgen interviewed Ginny and Draco. She was pleasant and respectful, as always, though she seemed a little nervous with Draco. Many of her questions centered around how two people who disliked each other so intensely at school could end up together. They told the story of how they met, and how they found out the other's identities. They talked about their friendship, and how it grew. Ginny mentioned how hard it was for her to accept that Harry would have wanted her to be happy. As they left, Draco apologized to Eloise for tormenting her at Hogwarts and she shook his hand warmly. Shawna squeezed Ginny's arm reassuringly as she steered the couple out into Diagon Alley. They could trust Eloise to be compassionate with the article.

As they had agreed to do, Draco and Ginny spent the next hour wandering through Diagon Alley with a dozen photographers at their heels. All of the major media outlets wanted pictures of what was sure to be the most talked-about couple of the year, if not the decade. The idea of a Weasley and a Malfoy together was very new, and apparently very intriguing.

Draco and Ginny attracted a lot of attention from people they passed, and it was clear that it was not just because of the bevy of photographers. Ginny saw surprise and unbridled curiosity on most of their faces, along with occasional looks of disgust, approval, and even envy. The jealous looks made Ginny nervous, but also made her feel a little smug. Ginny tried to ignore everyone else, and snuggled closer to Draco, who responded with a smile and a reassuring arm around her waist. The two of them browsed through books in Flourish and Blotts, tried on funny hats at Humberto's Haberdashery, and sipped Butterbeer in the Leaky Cauldron. Finally, when the promised hour was over, they retreated to Ginny's flat.

They spent a quiet evening alone. Draco went out to get take-away. Ginny opened her best bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. They talked and talked, arguing good-naturedly as usual. Occasionally, they would dance to a song on the Wizarding Wireless Network. Fairly often, they would get distracted by the nearness of each other, and would devolve into snogging. They fell asleep on the sofa, wrapped in each others' arms.

Ginny woke slowly, taking a while to realize that she was sprawled across Draco's chest. She smiled down at him, noticing how peaceful he looked in sleep. She brushed some stray hair out of his eyes. This seemed to rouse him, as he gently eased his eyes open. When he saw her, he smiled broadly. "Hmmm," he murmured. "I could definitely get used to this." He raised his head to kiss her.

Before long, they were distracted by a tapping at the window. It was Draco's owl with his copy of the Daily Prophet. Draco extricated himself from Ginny to retrieve the paper, then returned to sit next to her on the sofa.

Ginny blushed when she saw the picture on the front page. She finally understood what people meant when they commented on the way she and Draco looked at each other. In the picture, they were walking close together, smiling at each other with obvious affection. Ginny didn't need to read the article that aired their relationship for all the world to see. She already knew what she needed to know. Draco had an arm wrapped firmly around her as he read the paper, and she felt as if nothing could touch them as long as they were together. And as she kissed him over the pages of the newspaper, Ginny felt as if she had finally come home.
Leave a Review