Disclaimer: J. K. Rowling owns all things Harry Potter.

A/N: Thanks to everyone who has reviewed!

*****************

Coming Home


Chapter 3: Diagon Alley

The next morning, Ginny spotted her confidant as soon as he entered the coffee house. He raised a questioning eyebrow at her as if to ask if she wanted him to go back to being a stranger. She smiled brilliantly at him, and once he had added the cream to his coffee and stirred it the requisite number of times, he joined her at her table.

"So, I take it things went well with your brothers yesterday?"

"They were wonderful! They didn't even yell at me once, just welcomed me back. And they also think it is great that I have a son. They were friends with my husband as well, my whole family were. He had felt like part of our family even before we got married, and they knew how much he had wanted a family of his own. So my brothers are happy that he has one, even if he isn't here to see it."

"Does this mean you're ready to face the rest of them?"

"Well, maybe not right away. We decided yesterday that I should wait a bit to tell my mum. She's the most volatile one. But my brothers are going to pave the way with her first. Maybe we'll be ready for each other in a couple of weeks. Until then I still have plenty to do--I have a very empty flat to fill!"

"Well, I hope everything works out with your mother. I'm afraid I can't give advice on that. Mine is a bit of a cold fish. I could probably dance through the drawing room in a pink tutu and she wouldn't so much as raise an eyebrow." Ginny laughed at the image.

"Maybe you should join the circus. That might get her attention!"

"You're probably right. Anything that might make other people think less of her is definitely forbidden." After a moment he added, "Though she isn't really as bad as I'm making her sound. She does care about me in her own distant way."

"Well, it certainly makes me feel a little better about Mum. I may be terrified of her, but I do know she cares intensely." Ginny left the coffee house that morning with a smile on her face and a spring in her step.

Over the next week, Ginny spent a huge amount of her time shopping. It amazed her how much there was to buy in order to furnish the flat. She would move a few things from Chicago, but it would be too expensive to move most of it. She also met with Fred and George fairly frequently to continue getting reacquainted. They never failed to make her smile, even when they tested one of their newest gags on her. And she had started having coffee with her blond confidant every morning. They would talk about all sorts of things - books, wine, the latest scandal in the government, how much Ginny missed Evan, or whatever they happened to think of on any given day. Sometimes they would just watch the other people in the coffee house and whisper snide comments to each other.

Although she didn't even know his name yet, Ginny felt as if he was becoming her friend. And it was nice to have a friend. In Chicago, she had built up a large network of friends over the years. In London all she had, at least for the moment, was Remus, Fred, George, and the man in the coffee house. That would change, perhaps, once she started working at the clinic, and met with her family again, but she wasn't sure. She was also concerned about what would happen if the press realized she was back. She would likely be hounded, and have all sorts of people who wanted to "befriend" her just because of her notoriety. It was nice to have someone who seemed to like her apart from her connection to Harry.

Finally, Ginny had bought just about everything she needed. There were just a few things left to do before she could bring Evan to London. She had to deal with her family, which would probably happen sometime in the next week. She was building her courage and giving Fred and George time to sweet-talk her mother. But she had no more reason to put off visiting Diagon Alley. If she were going to re-establish herself in the wizarding world, she would need to go. There were all sorts of things she would need to do eventually, but some of them were particularly pressing. She needed to go to Gringotts to reopen the Potter vault. She had tried to spend as little of Harry's money as possible because it was Evan's by right. But she had had to spend some of it over the years, and would have to spend more now that she was back, especially considering how little she would make working at the clinic. She had not used her wand for ten years, so she needed to have Mr. Ollivander check it over before she could start practicing spells again. And she needed to buy an owl to be able to communicate with others. She had put it all off long enough. Today was the day.

Ginny was particularly quiet over her morning coffee. Her companion noticed, of course, and asked about it. She couldn't very well tell him what the problem was this time. He was a Muggle, after all. So she very carefully said, "There is some... business... that I have been putting off, and I plan to do it today. It will be... uncomfortable for me."

He seemed to recognize her reluctance to talk about it, so he changed the topic to something inconsequential. When they parted, he brought it up again. "If there is anything I can do to help with your... business, or if you just want someone to talk to, I'm here."

She gave him a rueful half smile. "Thanks, but I don't think there's anything you can do this time." Then she left, feeling a little bit better after seeing the concern in his eyes.

***

Back in her flat, Ginny pulled her wand out of her trunk. She hadn't looked at it in years. It was the one new thing she had gotten when she started at Hogwarts, as there were no spare wands left in the family by then. It had served her well when she used it, but she had hidden it away when she had left the wizarding world. She usually only pulled it out when she was feeling nostalgic. Now, she dusted it off and placed it in the pocket of the cloak Fred and George had given her. The cloak's volume disguised her slight frame, and it had a large hood that concealed her bright hair. It was not particularly suited for the warm summer weather, but it would have to do.

Ginny tried to be as surreptitious as possible on the ten-minute walk to the Leaky Cauldron. She entered the pub quietly and quickly moved out into the courtyard behind, where she waited in the shadows. A woman with three boisterous children in tow came out and opened the gateway, and Ginny was able to slip in behind them.

She was in wizarding London for the first time since Harry's funeral.

It was a bit overwhelming at first. There were so many people it was almost frantic. They moved this way and that, calling out to each other, bargaining with the shop keepers. And if she thought Muggle London smelled old, it was nothing compared to Diagon Alley. But after a few minutes, the familiarity of it all came back to her. She had been coming here since she was an infant, after all. She started to make her way down the alley, looking into shop windows as she went. She found the apothecary particularly interesting. The once-familiar potions ingredients seemed so odd now. She stopped off at Flourish and Blotts long enough to check out the recently published titles. She was particularly amused to see Hogwarts, A History, Fifth Edition, by Horatio Binns and Hermione Granger-Weasley. She was amazed that the twins hadn't told her about that little accomplishment. All the while, she managed to keep her face hidden beneath the hood of her cloak.

She eventually made it to the steps of Gringotts. She took a deep breath and reminded herself of the discretion of goblins, who generally knew what was in their best interest, and tried not to think about her brother Bill, who also worked in the building. Nobody noticed her when she stepped inside. She waited for the first available goblin, and presented her key.

"I would like to reopen the Potter vault, in my name and my son's," she muttered quietly, hoping no one nearby would hear. The goblin examined the key and then looked beyond the shadows of her hood.

"Very well, Mrs. Potter. I will have Brickbreath take you down to the vault. May I enquire as to the name of your son?"

"Evan James Potter. And need I mention that I would prefer this information be treated with the utmost discretion, even among your employees?"

He gave her a long, penetrating gaze, and then responded, "No, Madam, I quite understand. Brickbreath will be with you in a moment."

"Thank you." She trusted implicitly in his word on the matter. The Potter fortune might be nothing compared to that of some of the old wizarding families, but it would hurt Gringotts significantly if she were to withdraw it all summarily. They would keep her secret if only because it was in their best interest to do so. And no word of her return would reach Bill through the bank.

Her trip to the vault reminded her of the roller coasters Elsa forced her to ride at Six Flags. The memory made her smile, even if the ride made her slightly nauseous. She withdrew enough Galleons to last her several months, and was happy to reach the solid ground of Gringotts' main floor. She was careful to tuck her hair back into her hood before stepping out into the lobby.

Her next stop was Ollivander's. Her wand had been inactive for so long that she wanted to have it checked out before she tried to use it again. Her skills were rusty enough that she didn't want to try doing magic with a dysfunctional wand.

When Ginny first stepped into the shop, there were several customers there already--three eleven-year-olds being fitted for their first wands with their proud parents standing by. Ginny shrank into the corner, but Mr. Ollivander gave her a penetrating look as she did. She couldn't help but think about what it would be like to bring Evan for his wand in two years. For the first time since she had stumbled into Grimmauld Place, Ginny felt as if she really was doing the right thing.

When the other customers had left, Mr. Ollivander said quietly, "Mrs. Potter. I wondered if I might see you again, though I thought it might be two more years before I did."

"Yes, well, you have Remus Lupin to thank for seeing me so soon. Would you be so kind as to inspect my wand?"

"Of course," he said, taking up the wand in his long fingers. "Ah, yes. Birch and dragon's heart string, eleven inches, quite stiff." He twirled it a bit, then added, "So, you have not used it since you have left." This was a statement, not a question.

"No. I have been living as a Muggle. I am... somewhat concerned... about my abilities to perform magic again after so long. I wanted to make sure my wand was in prime condition before I try."

"Very wise, very wise," he said. "I have known others who have rashly tried magic on a desensitized wand, and I would rather not tell you what happened to them."

"You need not tell me. I remember the stories..."

By now Mr. Ollivander had finished a stream of spells that he placed on her wand using his own. "It seems you have not completely neglected it, after all. Just one more little test." He held the wand out to her. "Go on and give it a wave."

She took it, a little apprehensively, and waved it for the first time in ten years. She instinctively used the first wand motion taught to Hogwarts students, the swish-and-flick, though without the customary incantation. Her wand released a stream of silver and gold sparks, just as it had the first time she had visited Ollivander's, seventeen years earlier. She was filled with warmth, and could feel the magic coursing through her blood in a way she hadn't for too long.

"Thank you," she whispered, pushing a handful of Galleons across the counter.

"You're welcome," he responded, pushing them back. "You will bring your son to buy a wand from me when the time comes. That is payment enough."

"You know about Evan?"

"I know about all of the children. I must... anticipate them."

"But..."

"Don't worry, Mrs. Potter. Your secret is safe with me."

Ginny stepped out into the street, slightly disconcerted. She distractedly shoved a red curl back under her hood, and made her way to Eyelops Owl Emporium. If she were going to be part of the wizarding world, she would need to be able to communicate like a proper witch. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a flurry of movement, but paid it no mind. After all, Diagon Alley was very busy that day.

At Eyelops, Ginny quickly settled on a rather plain barn owl whose bright brown eyes reminded her of Evan's. She was pondering names for the owl as she stepped out of the shop. Because of this, she was startled when three flashbulbs went off in quick succession, right in front of her.

She had been spotted. It took only a few seconds before she turned and ran.

She had no idea, later, how she had known exactly where to go, even after so many years, but her feet automatically took her to the door of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. She threw herself into the shop and slammed the door shut behind her. She looked up to see her brothers huddled over the counter studying something.

"Oh, thank Merlin you're here!" she exclaimed. "They found me! You have to help!"

George moved quickly towards the door and turned the "open" sign to "closed".

Fred had moved towards Ginny, engulfing her in a hug. "Gin! What's wrong? Who found you?"

After a few minutes, she calmed down enough to answer. "The press! They saw me! They took my picture! They know I am back..." she sobbed into his shoulder.

"It'll be okay, Gin. We'll figure something out," said George, coming over and rubbing her back comfortingly. This helped calm her significantly.

Only then did she look up and realize that the three of them were not alone.

Seated on a stool at the counter was none other than her blond coffee companion. "You!" she exclaimed.

His face broke into a wide grin. "If you're here, I guess you must not be a Muggle after all," he smiled.

Fred and George looked somewhat confused. George said, "Of course she's not a Muggle!"

"Yes, she's been gone for ten years..." added Fred.

"But you were at school together..."

"Why would you think she was a Muggle?"

"We were at school together?" Ginny asked, confused.

"Of course!" said George.

"Ginny," said Fred, catching on to the situation, "May I present the one and only..."

"...bouncing ferret..." George continued.

"Draco Malfoy!"

"What?!" yelled Ginny. "I've been having coffee with Draco Malfoy?"

"You say that as if it's a bad thing," smiled the former Slytherin.

"Not a..." she began.

"Really, Ginny," George interceded, "it's not that big of a deal."

"Yeah," said Fred, "he's not the same as he was at Hogwarts."

"After all, how many of us are?" responded George, with false innocence.

Ginny snorted. Fred and George were exactly the same.

"And what do you mean that you've been having coffee with him?" asked Fred.

Ginny seemed to be speechless at this point so Draco stepped in. "I have coffee every morning at a Muggle coffee house not far from my flat. Recently, I have very much enjoyed daily conversations with someone I thought was a Muggle. It would seem that she thought I was a Muggle as well. Apparently we were both wrong."

"Well, I have been living as a Muggle for ten years. I don't expect to run into wizards unless I go looking for them," Ginny said, scathingly.

"Nor do I. But I am glad I met you here. At least now I know your name," Draco said with a smirk.

Ginny turned to Fred and George. She was feeling very much at a loss. "What is he doing here?"

"He's the new investor we told you about," said George.

"He's going to help us open a shop in Hogsmeade."

"He has actually helped out a lot over the last few years."

"He isn't so bad once you get to know him."

"Okay," said George. "Now that that is settled, we should decide what to do now that the press have found you."

"Yeah... You're sure to be in all the papers tomorrow."

"And you coming here will just confirm your identity for them."

"So the question is, how do you want to break it to Mum?"

Ginny swallowed hard. "Mum?" she asked.

"Yes, Mum," said Fred. "You're going to have to talk to her tonight."

"If you let her read about your return in the Daily Prophet..."

"Oh, it doesn't even bear thinking about," Fred said with a shudder.

"You're going to have to go to the Burrow right away," George said, as serious as he could be.

"No question about it," added Fred.

"I guess you're right," Ginny said resignedly, thinking that her mother would be angry enough as it was. "So, how can we do this?"

"Well, I'll just Floo Mum to let her know she should expect us and a guest tonight," said George, disappearing into the back room.

"And I'll just make sure the shop is closed," said Fred. To Draco he added, "Sorry, mate. We hate to cut our meeting short, but family comes first." Draco nodded, then looked expectantly back at Ginny.

Once the twins were gone, Ginny had a chance to really look at Draco for the first time. His nose and chin were still a bit pointy, but his features had mostly filled out. His hair was a few shades darker than it had been in school, as well. He was actually rather good looking now. She figured it wasn't completely unforgivable that she hadn't recognized him--and he, of course, hadn't recognized her either.

"Well, I guess this changes everything, doesn't it?" she asked.

He raised an eyebrow questioningly. "Why should it?"

"Because you are Draco Malfoy and I am a Weasley who married Harry Potter," she said, drawing out every syllable as if her were a slightly slow child.

"Still the typical Gryff, I see, so quick to judge," he said with a sigh. "Not everything is as it used to be, Ginny, try to remember that." He stood up and walked to the door, then gazed into her startled eyes for a moment, one hand on the doorknob. "Good luck with your mother. I'll see you tomorrow morning." And then he was gone.

The next thing Ginny knew, her brothers were back, leading her to their fireplace and her long-neglected family.
Leave a Review