Disclaimer: J. K. Rowling owns all things Harry Potter.

A/N: Thanks to everyone who has reviewed! I appreciate your comments, and hope that my story doesn't disappoint you.

*****************

Coming Home


Chapter 4: The Burrow

Ginny hadn't traveled by Floo for over ten years, so she was dizzy and nauseous when she arrived at the Burrow. It took all of her willpower to avoid falling over when she arrived. Fred and George had gone ahead of her, but she knew they wouldn't tell her mother who their ‘guest' was. When she arrived, she could hear the twins talking to her mother.

"... no advance notice!" Molly was yelling.

"But we really didn't know until just now," pleaded one of the twins.

"We were planning to bring her later this week, but..."

"...something happened and it had to be today."

"And who it this, anyway, who is so important that she must come today?" asked Molly.

"Well..." said Fred, noticing that Ginny had arrived. "She is right there, so maybe you could ask her."

Molly turned to Ginny and it took a few seconds for recognition to kick in. When it did, she dropped the bowl of dried peas she had been holding, sending them skidding in all directions across the floor.

"Ginny?" Molly breathed, rushing towards her and embracing her in an iron hug. "Oh Ginny, it has been so long!"

Molly then seemed to realize what she was saying. She held Ginny at arm's length and started yelling at her. "Ginevra Molly Weasley Potter! What do you think you are doing? Not a word from you in ten years! And you just show up in the fireplace?!"

"Er, Mum," Fred interrupted before Molly could get too angry. "Don't you think you should Floo Dad? Wouldn't he want to know that Ginny is back?"

"Oh, dear, you're right!" Molly said, and changed tack immediately, heading for the fireplace. Fred, George, and Ginny went into the sitting room, where the twins took turns turning each other into various reptiles in an attempt to keep Ginny from brooding. When Fred reformed after a stint as a Komodo dragon, the third form he had taken on, he wondered out loud what was taking Molly so long. After all, one Floo call to the Ministry should only take a few minutes. When she returned, the three siblings got their answer.

"I Flooed everyone! They should all be here soon. This is so marvelous! Ginny is back!" She hugged her again, beaming. Then her tone changed back to anger. "But don't think you are off the hook, young lady! You will explain once dinner is ready! Ten years!" She gave Ginny a fierce look, then ducked back into the kitchen.

Ginny groaned under her breath. She knew she would have to explain everything, but had hoped to see her parents before her other brothers, who were likely to complicate matters. Unfortunately, it seemed this, too, had been taken out of her hands. Before she could consider how to deal with the whole family at once, Bill had arrived with a pop, followed closely by Percy. They both embraced her and threw questions at her at the same time. It was hard to keep the two streams of conversation straight, but it seemed that Bill wanted to be filled in on all of her overseas adventures while Percy was cross-examining her as if she were in court. Charlie's arrival distracted them for a moment, but soon he had joined the other two in hurling questions at her while intermittently hugging her. Fred and George stood nearby, looking amused.

Sometime during all of the hullabaloo, Arthur arrived. He waited on the outside of the scrum surrounding Ginny for a while, but finally grew impatient and intervened.

"I, for one," Arthur said quietly, "don't care in the least why Ginny left, or what she has done in the last ten years. I am just happy that she is home." He smiled tentatively at Ginny, and she threw herself into his arms.

"Thank you, Dad," she mumbled into his chest. In response, he just held her closer.

After a few moments, Molly bustled in announcing that dinner was ready. They all crowded into the kitchen and found places at the table. It was a few minutes before Ginny realized that someone was missing. "Where's Ron?" she whispered.

Molly looked at her doubtfully and said, "He's, um..."

But just at that moment, there was a pop as Hermione Granger-Weasley Apparated into the room. She looked at Molly briefly, giving an extremely small shake of her head, before turning to Ginny and embracing her.

"Ginny! It's so good to see you! I'm so glad that you decided to come back!"

Ginny was happy to see Hermione, but was somewhat curious. "Hermione," she asked, "where's Ron?"

"Oh, he, er... He was detained... I'll, er, pass on your news, and he'll see you next time, all right?"

Obviously Hermione wasn't telling the full truth, but Ginny let it go for now.

"So, Ginny, now that everyone is here," asked Bill, much more gently than she would ever have expected from him, "will you tell us where you've been?"

"Well," she began, "when Harry died, I was devastated, as you know. Everywhere I looked, all I could see was reminders of him..." She explained why she left, and how Remus had helped her leave because he understood that she just needed to get away. She told them about Chicago, her friendship with Elsa, and how she had trained and worked as a Muggle nurse in a maternity ward. They seemed mostly sympathetic and happy that she had been so successful on her own, though Molly was a bit stiff. But the time had come to tell them about Evan, and she was worried about what they would say. George reached out and took her hand, giving it a squeeze. Fred smiled encouragingly at her from across the table.

"Er... There was a reason I worked in the maternity ward, I mean, besides the fact that I like babies," she began, and took a deep breath. "I knew most of the nurses in the ward already, because they had taken care of me when I needed them. When I finished nursing school, I joined them because I didn't know of a better, more dedicated and caring group of nurses anywhere."

At this, Arthur, who had been sitting next to her, reached out and took the hand George hadn't been holding. She realized that somehow he understood. Her mother, who was across the room, seemed to be grimly holding her breath in anticipation of what Ginny was about to say.

It was Percy who proved to be the only one who had no idea of what was going on. "So why did you end up there?" he asked blandly.

Ginny took a deep breath and Arthur squeezed her hand. "When I left," she said, talking to her lap, "I was two and a half months pregnant. I told Harry before he died, but I didn't tell anyone else. Part of why I left was so my child could live a normal life, at least for a while, away from the pressures of fame in the wizarding world. Luckily, I made friends with a neighbor who was pregnant at the same time, and she helped me through most of the pregnancy. But I had a difficult delivery, and almost died in the process. The nurses, and the memory of Harry, helped keep me and my son alive. So there you go. I have a nine-year-old son, Evan James. I came back to England for him, despite the press, because he deserves to have family in a way that Harry never did. I hope that you will welcome him as you would any other Weasley."

Ginny didn't dare look up at the others when she finished her speech. The silence was deafening. George was still holding one of her hands, and Arthur let go of the other in order to take her in his arms again. Molly was the first to speak, and her voice was painfully dull.

"You have a child? And never told us?" She paused for a moment. "Did Remus know?"

"Yes, Remus knew," Ginny answered defiantly. "He knew, but I asked him not to tell you. I knew you would never rest until you found me if you knew, and I needed the time away. Evan needed the time away. If you have a problem with me leaving or the secrets I needed to keep from you, then blame me. Don't blame Remus or Evan. Remus just did as I asked, and Evan didn't even know you existed until a few months ago." Ginny's anger grew steadily as she spoke. "Evan is a wonderful child, and he wants to know his family. But if you don't want to know him, I will happily go back to Chicago and leave behind both you and this crazy wizarding world that seems to insist I am newsworthy just for visiting Diagon Alley!" By the end of her speech, Ginny was on her feet, full of righteous anger. She made her way to the fireplace, intending to leave and never return.

"Wait!" Ginny wasn't sure who said it, but she stopped where she was.

"Yes," Molly said, "please wait." She didn't sound entirely certain. "I want... I want to know you again, Ginny, and I want to know Evan. I want to know all of my grandchildren."

***

Two hours later, Ginny was sitting in front of the fire, nearly drained. She had passed around pictures of Evan and told as many stories as she was able. The assembled family had decided neither to confirm nor deny Ginny's return to the press, and to keep Evan sheltered for as long as they could. She had promised to bring him to a family dinner in just over a week so he could meet everyone.

Her mother had fluctuated between joy that her daughter was back and anger that she had left in the first place. Arthur had been as unwaveringly supportive as the twins. Bill, Charlie, and Percy all had many questions, but any anger they had harbored over the years had quickly dissipated. But Ron had not come at all, and this hurt Ginny more than she was willing to let on.

Hermione had avoided talking to Ginny directly for most of the evening, but seemed to realize that it was time they spoke.

"Hermione," Ginny asked as the other woman sat down next to her, "why isn't Ron here? Tell me the truth this time."

Hermione was silent for a while, and Ginny thought she wouldn't answer, but finally she spoke. "Ron was very angry when you left. Harry was our best friend, and just as everything reminded you of him, it reminded us as well. I think he also considered leaving, but he had me and that made him think twice. And once you left, he felt like he couldn't. Your mum was mourning you as if you had died as well, and she couldn't have stood losing yet another child. And he felt that with Harry dead and you gone, someone had to take up the role of hero. He did it, even though he didn't want it."

Ginny looked up at that. She knew Ron had always been jealous of Harry's fame.

"Ironic, isn't it?" Hermione asked. "Ron finally gets his rightful place in the spotlight, and realizes he doesn't want it after all. And he has quietly endured everything that goes with the spotlight--we both have. It hasn't been easy, especially not since our son Harry was born. We can hardly take a trip to the park without having a press conference."

Ginny nodded. This was why she had wanted to keep Evan away. How could he have a normal childhood when everything he did would be scrutinized?

"And now you just came back out of the blue, and Molly expected him to drop everything to come and see you. He's very bitter. I think he blames you in a way for how our lives are. I try to tell him that it would probably be the same even if you hadn't left--it was what we signed up for when we befriended Harry. But it's hard for him to accept, and it's easy for him to blame you. Or at least it was when you were gone. Anyway, he refused to come tonight. He said that you were selfish to leave in the first place, so why should he welcome you back?"

By now, tears were streaming down Ginny's face. Hermione reached out to comfort her. "Ginny, if it's worth anything, I don't feel that way at all. Harry's death was not your fault. And neither is how the press has focused on us all these years. You did what you had to do. And really, now that I know about Evan, I think you are absolutely right to have left. No child should be raised like that. And the attention our Harry gets would be nothing compared to what would be lavished on Evan if the wizarding world knew he existed."

Ginny smiled at Hermione. "Thank you for saying that. It means a lot to have your support. You always were a good friend, and Ron always was a hothead who didn't know how to let go of a grudge!"

Hermione laughed at this. "Yes, well, he is a lovable hothead!"

"Yes, I suppose you're right." Ginny sighed and her smile faded. "Hermione, do you think he will come around? Will he ever be able to forgive me? Will he at least be able to bring himself to meet Evan? Evan wants so much to meet the people who knew Harry."

"Well, I'll tell him what you told all of us. And I suspect that he will want to meet Evan. He is both Ron's nephew and Harry's son at the same time. In fact, I am practically dying to meet him too."

"Well," Ginny said, "I'll be happy to introduce you to Evan if you introduce me to your son Harry!"

"It's a deal," Hermione said with a smile and a hug. "And Ginny, if you need my help with anything else, I am happy to give it."

***

After her conversation with Hermione, Ginny was completely exhausted. It had been a long and stressful day. Looking back, it seemed hard for her to believe that she had drunk coffee with Draco Malfoy, without knowing who he was, of course, less than a day ago. Since then, she had reentered the wizarding world, unsuccessfully dodged the press, learned that her coffee companion was a former enemy, and seen her family for the first time in ten years. It had taken a lot out of her.

Molly had awkwardly invited her to spend the night, but she had declined immediately. The Burrow felt like home in some ways, but she felt uncomfortable there now. Maybe it was because the place was so charged with emotion at the moment. She wouldn't be able to sleep in the little girl's room that had once belonged to her. Somehow, she knew it had been kept exactly as she had left it. She needed to get out.

Unfortunately, she didn't know how she was going to get home. Her Apparition license had expired years ago. Besides, it had been so long since she had done magic of any kind that she was sure she would splinch herself if she tried. Ottery St. Catchpole was too far away from London for her to use Muggle transportation at this time of night. Using the Knight Bus was out of the question; she could picture Stan Shunpike announcing her presence to everyone in the Leaky Cauldron during his next break.

That only left the Floo Network. However, Ginny's fire was not yet connected. She could travel to the public fire at the Leaky Cauldron and walk home, but she wasn't sure she wanted to risk it. Where could she go? She needed the comfort of someone to whom she didn't owe any explanations. That was it! She checked that the moon wasn't full, then stepped into the fire, saying "The Wolf's Den!"

She was so tired that the dizziness induced by the Floo travel left her sprawled across Remus's kitchen floor. She heard a gentle laugh and looked up to see him sitting at the table with a glass of Firewhiskey and a crossword puzzle. "Well, hello!" he said. "I suppose I should have expected you to tumble out of the fire at midnight before too long. I wonder why I didn't?"

"Oh, quiet, you!" Ginny snapped halfheartedly as she stood up and brushed herself off. "Would it be possible for me to stay here tonight?"

"Of course, as long as you don't mind sleeping on the couch. Are you going to tell me why you are here?" Ginny was aware that his questions were echoing their conversations in Chicago.

"I'm too tired to go into all of the details now, but I just came from the Burrow."

"Ah," he said, "but I thought you weren't planning to see your family yet."

"I wasn't. The issue was forced. I'm sure you'll be able to read all about why tomorrow morning in the Daily Prophet."

"Ah, I see," he said. "And how did your family take the news?"

"Dad was as accepting as the twins. Mum was...Mum. Bill, Charlie, and Percy all had a million questions, but came around eventually. I am to take Evan to meet everyone at Sunday dinner in just over a week."

"That only accounts for five brothers. What about Ron?" he asked gently.

Ginny's face fell. "Oh Remus! He hates me! He refused to come! Hermione thinks he'll get over it eventually, but what if he doesn't?"

Remus stood and took Ginny in his arms. "I suspect he'll get beyond the anger before long. Even Ron has grown up a lot in the past ten years. And if he doesn't get over it, then we'll deal with that when the time comes. Now, I think you need some sleep." He had guided her to his sitting room.

The couch was hard and lumpy, but Ginny didn't care. She was asleep almost before her head hit the pillow.
Leave a Review