It had been more than three months since the birth of their baby, and Draco was still in awe of his little girl. He loved everything to do with being a father, even all the diaper changes and late-night feedings – although Ginny handled that latter most of the time. One thing still made him uneasy, though, and that was being left alone to care for his daughter. Most of the time, Ginny was with him, but about once a month she got together with her sisters-in-law for a Girls’ Day Out. This was one of those days.

By this time, most people believed Draco should have been capable of caring for his nearly four-month-old daughter, and he was capable of it, really. He just felt a bit apprehensive about being on his own with such a young child. Having Ginny nearby just made him feel more comfortable. She made sure Draco didn’t make errors, and if he did, she told him how to avoid it next time. With her gone, how would he know when he was doing something wrong, other than the fact the baby was crying? Babies cried quite a lot, how would he know if the tears were normal, or a result of his inexperience? He’d rather avoid mistakes altogether, if he could.

Of course, he could go to one of his brothers-in-law if he had a problem, but then they would think him incompetent. Ginny’s brothers still weren’t too pleased with her choice of spouse, even years later. Draco could also go to his mother-in-law, but Molly Weasley wasn’t known for her discretion. At the next family get-together, Draco’s ineptitude as a father would certainly be mentioned in front of the whole Weasley clan. His mother would never be too busy for her own grandchild, but Draco didn’t want to run to her for every little thing. No, he would have to manage this on his own.

And that was the decision that leads to Draco’s current predicament, sitting in a rocking chair with his silver-haired angel screaming in his lap. For close to an hour, he’d been rocking her, but she was still wailing at the top of her lungs. Draco wasn’t sure what he could have done wrong. She’d been fed and changed – surely she should have been content. Yet, she was definitely not content.

He didn’t want to give in and go to his mother-in-law, so Draco sat, continuously rocking and bouncing the crying baby. At his wits’ end, he grabbed a pacifier from the dresser and stuck it in the baby’s mouth. He breathed a sigh of relief when she took it and the room was finally silent. The relief was short-lived, however, for only five minutes later Draco’s darling girl spit the pacifier out with great force, and the dam broke again.

After much drama from the little one, Draco walked around and rocked the baby. It had worked before when the child was being stubborn (Draco had no clue where the stubbornness came from…) and would not go to sleep. So, Draco walked, and walked, and walked. He wasn’t sure how long he had been walking when it happened. A tremendous belch escaped from his little girl’s mouth. He was surprised that something so loud could’ve come from someone so small, but that burp had ceased all tears and Draco had his good, quiet baby back, so he wasn’t complaining. At least, not until he discovered that noise was not all that had come out of his precious daughter’s mouth.

Draco smiled resignedly. “Now there’s Daddy’s good girl,” he said, heading to the washroom to wipe the baby’s face clear of tears, and to clean the remnants of his daughter’s last meal off of his shirt.

“Let’s make an agreement,” he said, rubbing the baby’s back as he walked to his study to rest. “No telling Mummy about this.”

***


Ginny didn’t return home until nearly seven that evening. When no one responded to her call, she set about looking for her husband and child. After a short search, she found them, fast asleep on the sofa in the study. She grinned at the pair, and headed to the kitchen to start supper.

It was another hour before Draco woke, or rather, was awakened, by a crying baby. He stood and carried the baby toward the kitchen, oblivious to Ginny’s return. He was surprised to find his wife setting the table.

"So, have a nice nap?" she asked him, grinning.

"We have an evil child." He declared

"And what makes you think that?"

"The fact that she burped and something unholy came out."

"Aw, did Draco get spit up on?" she asked him, teasingly.

"Yes," he answered rather indignantly.

"It isn't the first time..."

"Well, she ruined my shirt," he stated simply, before handing the child to her mother.

Ginny laughed and kissed the baby's cheek., "Did you miss your mummy?"

"Well, let's just say she's none to fond of formula,” Draco said.

"So you only missed a part of your mummy?" she inquired of the baby, who was happily playing with her mother's hair.

"I think I'm going to bed," Draco said, taking his plate of food in his hand and heading for the door.

"What did she do to you?" Ginny asked, laughing.

"Made me wonder why we had decided to have a baby," he said, grinning

After Draco left, Ginny smiled at the baby in her arms. "That's Mummy's good girl. Torturing Daddy becomes funnier as you get older," she cooed. She grabbed her plate up with the intention of joining her husband.

~~~~

Later that evening, as the couple laid in bed, the baby having long since been put down for the night, Draco turned to Ginny. "Gin, you asleep?" he asked.

"No... Why?" she asked, glancing up to him, as he was leaning on his elbow, staring down at her.

"I just wanted to tell you, that everyday, no, every moment, I love you more and more," he said. "I know I may complain sometimes, but I'm glad that we got married, and that you had our baby. I truly don't know where I'd be if you weren't here with me."

Ginny watched him a moment or two, before smiling up at him, pushing him on his back and kissing him thoroughly. "That was the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me," she whispered before doing something so extremely naughty that it would have caused Draco to blush, if he hadn’t been too busy enjoying it.
To Be Continued.
Aquarius21 is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Buy Me a Rose also liked 528 other stories.
Leave a Review