When Draco awoke the next morning, he was alone in the bed. There was no sign Ginny had been there – save the redecorating – and he wondered briefly if he'd imagined the whole thing. One too many butterbeers and it was entirely possible. Besides, why would Ginny fall asleep in his bed? She had one of her own.

As he lay there, Draco was able to completely convince himself that it was all a dream. A dream where all of his fantasies became reality. Only, it'd seemed so real.

This lasted until Ginny knocked on the bedroom door. She peeked her head inside. "Are you awake?"

Draco pushed himself up on the pillows. "Yes. Come in."

With her shoulder, his wife nudged the door wide open. In both hands, she was carrying a breakfast tray. "Hungry?"

He nodded, too stunned to speak.

She was wearing a pair of pale green silk pajamas. The bottoms were pulled tight at her waist with a drawstring and the top was buttoned completely, save for the top button. "I made you breakfast."

"Why?"

Ginny paused, sitting the tray on his nightstand. "An apology, of sorts. Peace offering, I think."

The blond smirked. "You think?"

She nodded. "I… I don't really know how to say this. But I think I've been wrong over the last few days. About you and me, and also about us. Draco you're…"

"I'm?" he prompted.

A blush rose on her cheeks. "You and I have something special, Draco. It started a long time ago and what's between us isn't going away. I don't know if it's lust, or love, or just companionship, but it's something very important to me."

"What're you trying to say?"

"I've been a bit hasty in decisions about us. Honestly, I don't know what to say or do around you anymore and so that makes things awkward at times."

"Gin—" Draco tried to interrupt.

"Let me finish?" the redhead requested. At his nod, she went on, "I've never been sure of you – of us – and I've never really understood it. For a time, I always suspected you might pull the rug from beneath my feet. I've always been in danger around you."

"Why?"

"Because I care," Ginny admitted.

"Care?" her husband questioned. "You care about me."

She nodded. Ginny could feel the emotion start to well inside of her. "When I was sixteen years old, I was desperately trying to find some kind of footing. Suddenly, it wasn't enough for me to be the youngest Weasley, or tagalong with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. I didn't want to be just another witch to graduate from Hogwarts. I was terrified of turning into my Mum. Not that I think Mum's a horrible person to be like. I love Mum, but she's…"

"Weasley, you're rambling."

Ginny blushed again. "Sorry." She looked down at her hands, hoping to gather some courage. She'd been awake for hours, rehearsing what she might say to him. "I didn't want to follow along and see where I ended up. So, I took control of my own destiny. I made my own plans.

"Those plans never, ever included you. I honestly never thought of you – you were a horrible git who I hoped I'd never see again. But then, at the beginning of my sixth year, you kissed me and it changed my whole life."

"Gin."

His wife went on like he hadn't even spoken. "You were hard and jaded. I thought your edges might cut me – but they didn't. After a while, you were just beautiful. The one beautiful thing in my whole life – you weren't passed down from my brothers, or Mum, or bought at a second-hand shop. You were new and mine and all I needed. Those few months changed my entire future, Draco."

He studied her carefully, not sure of what to say. Or even if he should say anything at all. She'd begun nibbling on some fruit from the tray and he just watched her. Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, he asked, "So what are you trying to say?"

"No one finds their mate when they're eleven years old, Draco. But somehow, I found you. Or you found me. I kissed you and couldn't kiss anyone else. Because no one else was you." Ginny looked down at her hands, before forcing herself to look him in the eye. She took a deep breath, before spilling the last of her secrets to him.

"I want to be with you."

Before Draco had a chance to respond, the flames in the fireplace turned green, followed by a loud whoosh, and Molly Weasley was standing in his bedroom.

"Mum!" was Ginny's shocked scream. "What're you doing here?"

Molly Weasley turned her back. "Oh, dear. I just wanted to Floo you, I didn't know it connected to your bedroom." She peaked back over her shoulder. "Are you…dressed?"

Draco was amused by the colour Ginny was quickly turning. "Yes, Mrs. Weasley, we're decent."

"Oh, thank Merlin." Molly started shuffling towards the door. "I'll be in the living room. But I need to speak with both of you."

When the door shut behind her, Ginny collapsed on the bed in a fit of laughter. Draco watched, clearly amused with her. "I fail to see how this is that funny."

"My mum…" she gasped. "My mum…"

"Yes, little Weasley, that was your mum."

She fixed him with a glare, but Draco knew she didn't mean it. "I guess this will answer any doubts about our marriage being real."

"About that—"

Ginny pressed two fingers to his lips. "After. Let's go see what Mum wants first."

The blond sighed, but resigned himself to doing what Ginny wanted. It wasn't like they could have this conversation with her mother waiting for them in another room. The woman was likely to interrupt again, or be eavesdropping, or a million other things.

Slowly, Draco got up out of bed. He didn't bother to cover his black t-shirt and gray pants with a robe. Ginny seemed satisfied with his appearance, and she held her hand out to him. He took it, before pulling her body to his. "Draco," Ginny protested.

"This will only take a moment."

He tilted her head back with his hands, angling her lips towards him. Ginny smiled at him right before he gave her the briefest of kisses – just a brush of his lips across hers. "Thank you."

Her arms wound around his waist. "For?"

"No reason." He dropped another kiss on her nose. "C'mon, your mum is waiting."

In the living room, Molly was bent over looking at the various pictures on the end table. Ginny was suddenly glad she'd given into her urge to redecorate the night before. That was another thing she and Draco likely needed to talk about.

Her mother heard them enter and immediately straightened. She couldn't suppress her smile at how obviously comfortable Ginny was in this place. "Dear, I'm sorry it's so early."

"It's fine, Mum. We were both awake." Ginny motioned to the chair she'd placed by the fireplace the night before, while she led Draco to the couch. "Was there something you needed?"

"I came over for two purposes. First, and foremost, I wanted to check on you."

At least she was honest, Draco thought. "On me?" Ginny questioned. "I'm fine, Mum."

The Weasley matriarch's eyes swung between her daughter and new son-in-law. "I see that now. But, dear, what were you thinking?"

"Mum—"

"You got married and didn't tell anyone in your family! Your engagement was the shortest in all of history, and your father and I haven't even been properly introduced to your husband!"

Ginny was suddenly glad Draco was sitting beside her. She felt like she was seven again, being scolded for playing with her father's wand. "Mum—"

"Mrs. Weasley," Draco interrupted, "It wasn't entirely Ginny's fault. I wanted to get married as soon as possible. I'm the one who convinced her to elope. And I'm the reason we haven't been over in the last few days."

"Really?"

"We've been busy. The press has made a circus out of our marriage, and I've been advised to cater to them. However, that is no excuse. We should have visited as soon after our wedding as possible. There was no reason why you should have found out from the Prophet."

"Mum," Ginny began after Draco finished.

"And that's another thing," Molly continued, "there are these rumours flying about, and I want an honest answer." Fixing her daughter with a stare, she asked bluntly, "Are you pregnant?"

"No!" Ginny started to get up, but Draco pulled her back down beside him. "I don't know where that foul Skeeter woman got that idea from, but I'm not pregnant. I promise you, Mum."

Molly deflated a bit. She was disappointed there wouldn't be a new grandchild in a few short months, but happy her daughter had listened to all of the warnings she'd given.

"Mum," Ginny started again, "I'm sorry we haven't been over. But with the press, it's been hard to leave the flat. They've gone crazy over our marriage. Draco and I wanted a quiet affair, which was why we decided to elope. Neither of us expected this. However, we're happy together and I would like if you and Dad could be happy for us."

"Dear, we're happy if you're happy."

Ginny smiled. "I'm the happiest I've ever been." Turning to her husband, she said, "Draco makes me that way."

Something must have convinced the older woman, because she let the subject drop. "There's the other matter, as well."

Draco tensed. "What other matter?"

"I've decided to have a small get together at the Burrow today, to celebrate your wedding. A reception, since you didn't have one. Your brothers have invited some of the people you work with; it won't just be a family thing. If you could arrive around three, everything will be perfect."

"Is that all?" Ginny asked.

"You'll be there, then? At three?"

Her daughter nodded dutifully. "Yes."

"Oh, Mr. Malfoy—"

"Draco."

"Draco," Molly started again, "I've been trying to contact your mother, with hopes of inviting her. I haven't had any luck, however."

"She's on holiday right now. They left yesterday morning."

The other woman nodded. "Right then. I'll just be going, I suppose."

Since there wasn't a fire in the living room, Draco took her back to his bedroom. Ginny followed behind, saying her goodbyes to her mum and promising she'd see her later.

When she was gone, Ginny turned to look at Draco expectedly. It was obvious that neither of them were overly thrilled about the last-minute reception being thrown in their honor. But they would attend, if for no other reason than to please her mother.

Adding to her mum's visit, Ginny was a bit stressed over her admission to him earlier. "Draco—"

"Stop," he ordered. "I know what you're thinking."

"I just—"

"Let me finish." Taking a step forward, Draco took her hand. He led her to the bed, where they both sat down. "Like you, this is something I never planned."

"Draco—"

"Ginny, let me finish." She nodded, and he continued, "I had no idea what would happen after my father ordered me to marry you. You and I hadn't seen each other in years, and our parting hadn't been the best. At Hogwarts, what existed between us was too intense, too overpowering, too much like real love. And it terrified me. You were a year younger and a Weasley. I didn't know how to deal with that. I certainly couldn't announce to my parents I intended to marry you. I would have been laughed out of Malfoy Manor.

"Instead, I left. I walked away, thinking I might forget you some day, but knowing I never would. Even though I left my father behind, I still let his decisions control me. I dated girls I knew would be acceptable to him. All of them were very beautiful, very rich, and came from very powerful families. I couldn't stand the thought of displeasing him, and I knew my being an Auror displeased him very much. For five years, I lived like that. Then he was arrested, and it felt like I was finally free.

"Yet, I couldn't come for you. I knew you worked for the Ministry, I knew you lived in London, and I knew you liked to take your tea half an hour later on Tuesdays. In the last three years, I realized something about myself. I never stopped wanting to be with you. You told me that no one finds their mate when they're eleven years old. How about sixteen? From the moment I kissed you at Hogwarts, I knew. I just needed you to know as well."

"Draco," she sighed.

"I'm in love with you, Gin. I have been for years."

"I…"

"Shhh," he stopped her. "I didn't tell you so you'd say it back. Not unless you mean it. I just told you because I needed you to know."

Ginny nodded, not saying anything. Her mind was whirling. Did she love him? She wasn't sure, honestly.

"To answer your question from before, I want to be with you too. It's the only thing I want."

She couldn't deny the way her heart soared at his admission. He loved her and wanted to be with her. "What now?"

Draco's eyes cut towards the bed, but Ginny stopped him. "Not yet."

He accepted her answer with a nod. Turning, he took the now cold breakfast tray from the nightstand and turned to her. "What if we just eat breakfast?"

Her nose wrinkled at the browned fruit and cold eggs. "Not that."

"No, there's an Apparation point near a deli in Brighton. We'll go into the city for a bit."

"Okay." Ginny stood. "Let me change."

She was at the door when he stopped her. "I love what you've done with the flat."

His wife smiled back at him. "Thanks."

"Go change. I'm hungry." With the way he was looking at her, Ginny was certain he didn't mean for breakfast.
Leave a Review