A/N: I should have more of Every Little Thing this weekend. Be patient with me. Many thanks to the Rainpuddle, the best beta a girl could ask for.

* * * * * * * *


After they finished packing their bags, Draco handed Ginny some Floo powder. "You've everything you need?"

She nodded. "Yes." Ginny dumped a handful of the powder into her left hand. "Where to?"

"Gosforth Keep."

"Gosforth Keep," the redhead repeated. She turned towards the fireplace, ready to step in, but Draco's hand on her arm caused her to stop. Ginny looked back at him. "Did I forget something?"

"No, I did." Draco tilted her chin upwards and kissed her quickly. He placed one more lingering kiss on her forehead, before pulling back completely. "I'll be right behind you. Gosforth Keep."

A moment later, she was gone. Draco did one more walk through the flat, checking both of their rooms for something that might have been left behind. He reinforced the locks on the door. Lucius knew of this place and Draco didn't want him using it as a hideout.

He checked his cloak pockets for their passports and travel documents. With any luck, their reservations would be ready when they arrived. He just needed to check on his mother and Snape, and then he and Ginny would be off on their honeymoon. Draco knew his father would never think to look for them outside of England, or at the very least the Continent, so Arthur Weasley's suggestion they go some place exotic had been a good one. Besides, it fit nicely with Draco's idea – some place tropical where he could get Ginny into a bikini and have a real honeymoon. His wife had admitted she fancied him, but Draco was determined she would be head over feet in love with him by the time their holiday ended.

But first things first: his Mum. With one last glance into the flat, he was gone as well.

His mother and Snape were standing together, talking quietly when he arrived. Ginny was pacing a small path between the fireplace and settee, her back to him. She knew he was there, however. No sooner than he straightened, his wife launched herself into his arms. "Gin?"

"I'm fine," she whispered into his cloak. "I'm just…"

Draco pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I know, love."

Narcissa and Snape had joined them at this point. The redhead made way for his mother and she hugged him tightly. "I've been worried about you. Since Severus…"

"I'm fine, Mum." He placed a hand on her back and led her to the settee. Once she was seated, Draco placed himself next to her. "What do you know?"

"Lucius escaped?" Narcissa questioned. When Draco nodded, she let out a muffled sob. "How?"

"Gin's father is sure he had help. They don't know whom. When was the last time you visited him, Mum?"

"The morning after I met Ginevra for the first time," Narcissa answered him. "I went to tell him you'd married."

Draco stiffened. "What did you tell Father?"

"Draco—"

"I'll explain in a moment, Mum. But I must know what you told him about Ginny."

The blonde frowned before saying, "I just told him you seemed very happy and that I thought you were in love with her."

"Mum."

"What?" she questioned. "I don't understand, Draco."

"There's something I haven't told you and I'm sorry. I'm going to tell you now, but you can't repeat it, okay?" Draco stood and moved away from his mother. He went to the fireplace, pretending to study the picture centered above the mantle. Immediately his mind went to a history lesson from his father about the Gosforth family and how they were related to the Malfoys.

"Draco?"

At his mother's small voice, he frowned. He didn't want to do this, but he didn't seem to have a choice in the matter. "Mum, I haven't been completely honest with you about some things."

He turned and faced her. Ginny had taken his seat beside her, offering her whatever comfort she could. "I didn't get married because I wanted to, Mum. Father… For the last two years, he has believed I'm working against the Ministry. Recently, I was summoned and he gave me very clear instructions. I was to marry Ginny Weasley.

"This was by far the oddest directive he'd ever given me. I'd been working with Professor Snape, and he suggested we both speak with Dumbledore. Even the Headmaster didn't completely understand what he was planning. I was instructed to follow Father's directions. Ginny was contacted and she agreed to help and last week we married."

"You mean…" Narcissa looked at her daughter-in-law, confusion written all over her face. "It was a set up?"

Ginny smiled weakly. "Not all of it, Mrs. Malfoy. What Lucius didn't know was that Draco and I have a past together. We dated briefly while at Hogwarts. After Draco finished school, we never saw each other again. In the last week, things have resumed from where we left them."

"You're dating?" she questioned. "But you're already married."

"Initially, Draco and I were only to be married for a short time – long enough for Professors Dumbledore and Snape to discover Lucius' intentions." Ginny paused for a moment, considering her next words carefully. She knew they wouldn't go over with the Malfoy Matriarch well. "We planned on getting a quiet divorce after it was over."

"And now?"

The redhead looked to her husband, unsure how to answer his mother's question. "We…"

"Ginevra and I have discussed the possibility, Mum. We haven't made any decisions yet."

"What does that mean?" Narcissa questioned.

"Narcissa," the potions professor interrupted, "this isn't important right now."

"But—"

"Severus is right. Ginny and I need to be going." Draco swung his gaze to his mentor and friend. "I assume you'll be staying here?"

"You know I would die before I allowed anyone to harm your mother."

The blond nodded briefly and turned back to his mother. "Ginny and I are going on holiday until the situation with Father is resolved. Mr. Weasley strongly encouraged this, and he also suggested I take you with me. You're welcome to join us, or you can stay here with Severus."

"I'll stay."

"Are you sure?" he questioned.

Narcissa nodded. "I'll be fine, Draco. Enjoy your time away."

Draco stepped forward and removed a small box from his pocket. "I've already arranged for a Portkey that will take you directly to where I am. It's inside this box. Use it any time, day or night."

She nodded again. "Thank you."

The son stepped forward and kissed her right cheek. "I'll be in touch, Mum. Stay out of harm's way." In her ear, so only she could her, he whispered, "I'm sorry if I hurt you. It was never my intention."

She hugged him fiercely before releasing him. "I love you, Draco." Narcissa smiled when his cheeks began to turn pink. Turning away from him, she went to Ginny. "No matter the motives behind your marriage, I'm glad you'll be there with my son. Please, take care of him?"

"I will, Mrs. Malfoy."

"Mum."

"Mum," Ginny repeated. She felt Draco place a hand on her back, letting her know it was time to go. The redhead stepped back towards her husband, smiling once more at her mother-in-law. "We'll be careful." Briefly, her eyes flickered to her former professor and she said, "Sir."

"Mrs. Malfoy," he said by way of acknowledgement. The professor let his eyes shift over her, wondering not for the first time if she would make it in this family. He was already sure of Draco's love and devotion to her. Any ending of their marriage would be at her request – and Snape was sure he'd see evidence of her returning his student's feelings.

"We need to go, Gin."

"Wait," Narcissa said, "You never even told me where—"

"Belize."

"In Central America?"

Draco nodded. "We'll be staying near Belize City. That Portkey will take you directly to our hotel and you'll only need to ask for directions to my room. Mr. Weasley is working on hooking the fireplace in the room up to the Floo network as we speak. The name will be the 'Reef Room'." He watched as his mother scribbled the name on a piece of parchment. "We'll see you soon, Mum. Floo if you need anything." With one last reassuring kiss to her cheek, Draco stepped back.

Ginny turned to face him and watched as he removed their Portkey from his pocket. Draco held it out a button she recognized from her brother's joke shop and couldn't help but smile.

"You ready?" he questioned.

Taking a step forward, Ginny nodded. Draco wrapped a strong arm around her waist before she reached out and touched the button. In an instant, the world was turning in on and itself and they were being pulled through.

When they were gone, Severus wrapped a comforting arm around Narcissa's waist, pulling her back against him. "They'll be fine."

She covered his hand with her own. "I know that, but I'm still terribly afraid for the both of them."

"Draco would die before he allowed anything to happen to that girl."

Narcissa looked up at him, a frown marring her face. "Let's hope it doesn't come to that. Come, let's see if we can contact the Weasley's and find out if Arthur knows anything else."

The professor followed where she led him. As he always did.

***


She was angry with him, even if she hadn't said the words. The Portkey had taken them directly the Central American Ministry of Magic, where they were provided a car and driver. An official there advised them to unshrink their luggage and act as Muggles when they arrived at their hotel. The driver took them to a small airstrip, and they landed in Belize about thirty minutes after take off. It was all rather uncomplicated.

Except now Ginny was in a snit and Draco had no clue what he'd done. Her father had made the reservation under Malfoy – a two-bedroom villa on the beach. Each bedroom had a separate bathroom, sink, and balcony. They shared the living and kitchen areas. They had the best villa at the best resort on the beach. Now they had arrived, Draco was ready to get on with the honeymooning business. In his mind, that didn't include Ginny being upset with him.

"Gin?" he asked, when the hotel worker had left. Draco frowned when she rolled her eyes, picked up her bags, and went to the bedroom on the right. "Bloody hell."

The door was shut, but not locked. He knocked softly twice, but got no answer. After he pushed the door open, Draco found her shoving different clothes into a dresser and the closet. "What's wrong?"

"If you don't know, then I'm not telling you." The redhead continued on with what she was doing, effectively ignoring him.

Draco frowned, mentally going over anything he might have said that could have offended her. Except there was nothing. He'd ignored her prat brother and Potter at the reception her mother insisted they attend. He'd been perfectly cordial to her father and sought out his advice about his father's escape. When they'd left for Gosforth Keep, she was speaking to him and happy. She'd been the same when they left his mother and Snape. "I don't understand."

Ginny turned and glared. "No. I don't suppose you do."

"What?"

She ran a hand through her untidy hair. "It doesn't matter, Draco. Just…leave me alone."

Draco winced at the attention she put on the word 'alone.' "It does matter. You're ill with me, and only Merlin knows why. If you just told me, we could talk about it and get on with our holiday."

"Holiday?" she repeated. "This isn't a holiday. We're on the run, if you didn't notice. From your father, of all people. I finally understand what Harry—"

"Yes," he snapped. "This is all my fault; because I'm the one with the psychotic father. It's my fault he likely wants to kill my Mum and me. Thanks, Gin. I really needed that. At least now I know what it feels like to be your Precious Potter."

"How dare you!" Ginny started folding her clothes, just to have something to do with her hands. He was making her angry. "This has nothing to do with Harry. I was just saying I finally understand what Harry went through all those years Voldemort was trying to kill him. But you," she continued, "you have to go and make it about the most important person in your life. Yourself!"

"You're the one who brought Potter into it, love. Maybe you would have been happier if that old fool of a Headmaster asked you to marry Harry instead," he sneered. "I'm sure you and Harry wouldn't be having this argument right now."

"You big, dumb prat, I would have never married Harry!"

"You sure about that? You spent most of your time at Hogwarts in love with him."

His wife dropped the clothes in her hands. She came to stand in front of him and Draco could see the tears shining in her eyes and swallowed hard. "I've only ever been in love with one person, Draco. It wasn't Harry Potter." Her voice was hoarse, but she kept eye contact with him.

"Who then?" he asked. "Potter was the only one—"

Ginny shrugged. "Does it really matter? In the end, it was a disaster." Turning away, she went to the window. "Isn't that how love goes? You give your all to someone, but in the end it turns rotten." She hoped he didn't see her reach up and wipe her face. "Either way, I learned that love isn't for me."

"So that's why you agreed to marry me?" Draco questioned. "Because some bloke broke your heart?"

She nodded. "Smashed it to bits." Ginny sighed heavily before returning to the bed. She put her suitcase on the floor and curled up in a ball, facing away from him. "Could you… I think I'm going to sleep a bit. Shut the door."

"Gin—"

"Just leave it, Draco. It doesn't matter who it was. It's over and done with."

Draco didn't know what else to say. He watched for a moment, as she curled into a tighter ball, hugging her knees to her chest. He had to quell the urge to lay down behind her and wrap his body around her. She looked so small, so broken. At that moment, Draco hated himself. He'd brought this on her. She was upset because he was being a prat. With that thought in mind, the blond left her, shutting the door behind him.

His bags were in the living area, where he'd left them. Taking one in each hand, he went to the bedroom on the left. Dropping them on the bed, Draco withdrew his wand. With a simple spell, all of his things were put away and the two cases were tucked into the closet.

He flung himself face down on the bed, trying to ignore the pictures in his mind. He'd made her cry – he'd pushed her too hard and hurt her because of it. And she – she'd married him because she'd been hurt so much she didn't think she'd ever love again. Regardless of her admitted attraction to him, Draco knew she meant it. He'd seen the tears and fierce determination on her face.

Turning over on his back, Draco stared at the ceiling. He racked his brain, trying to call forward anyone she'd dated in the past. Even though they both worked at the Ministry, it was rare their paths would cross. And every time he saw her, she was alone. She'd occasionally attend a Ministry event with her father or some random brother. But at those events, he'd been too busy drinking himself into oblivion and thinking about his next shag. Ginny had never been an option for him. She was too good, too pure. He was a Malfoy and he'd never deserved her in the first place.

At Hogwarts, after her ridiculous crush on Potter ended she dated that Corner git. After him, she and Dean Thomas had a thing. And then she started working her way through boys at an alarming rate. Seamus Finnigan, Colin Creevey, Neville Longbottom – Gryffindors. Owen McDonald, Ryan Patrick, and Philip something-or-other; the pattern continued. None of them were steady and she was often snogging two or three at one time, until him. Draco knew she'd stopped seeing everyone after they…

Which brought him back to Dean Thomas, the last boy he could remember her showing any real emotion with. Had the wizard hurt her so much at Hogwarts that Ginny felt her heart could never be repaired? Draco frowned as he realized something. The redhead was the one who broke things off with Thomas. Slamming his fist down by his side, he growled in frustration. He had no idea.

She was his wife for Circe's sake and he had no idea about anyone from her past. She never mentioned anyone and he'd never asked. The one time they'd come close to being intimate, Ginny admitted she didn't have a lot of experience. But she had wanted him then, he was sure of that. And she had wanted him since then. Draco was sure she cared about him, even if she didn't want to admit it.

He knew he could be happy with her caring for him, if it meant she might love him some day. Draco sat up and went to the window. She certainly wasn't going to fall in love with him from the other bedroom.

Before he had time to think about his actions, he'd pushed the door to her room open hard. It slammed against the wall and Ginny sat straight up in bed. "Draco?"

The blond marched over to where she was sitting, and effortlessly picked her up. Her brain was still asleep, but she realized in a moment that he'd tossed her over his shoulder and he was pushing open another door. Draco roughly threw her down on the bed before slamming his bedroom door. Ginny pushed her hair out of her eyes and glared at him. "What the hell was that?"

Her husband returned the glare. "You're my wife and this is our honeymoon. You will sleep in my bed."

"Draco—" Before she knew it, he'd pulled his shoes off and was laying down next to her. Draco pulled her down, and secured her by placing his arm over her stomach. "What is wrong with you? I'm not sleeping with you."

He pulled her closer and turned his face into her hair. "Good. Because I'm not sleeping with you either," he answered. "Go to sleep."

"What?" she questioned.

Draco pushed himself up on an elbow. "I'll hurt him, if you want me to, Gin."

"Who?"

"Dean. For breaking your heart."

Ginny frowned. "Dean didn't break my heart."

He lay back down and pulled her next to him. "Doesn't matter. Whoever it was, I'll make them hurt for breaking your heart. When you're ready to tell me, I'll do whatever I can."

The redhead was still as he fell asleep. Ginny turned and touched her hand to his face. He was so beautiful. So angelic. Was it any wonder she was in love with him? "But Draco, what if it was you?" Leaning forward, she kissed him gently on the mouth. He stirred, but never woke up. Ginny pulled back, leaving her hand on his face. She closed her eyes and let sleep take her.
Leave a Review