A/N: She's beginning to get on my nerves, too. Just bear with her a bit longer and I promise she'll stop being so infuriating...

***********


He hated being there. The house was tainted by memories of Narcissa and Draco – things he wanted to forget, but was never able to. In his room, he could close his eyes and see clearly the night Narcissa told him she was pregnant. Her long blonde hair had fallen in waves down her back and she'd been wearing a blue silk dressing gown. Lucius knew he would remember that moment forever, and over a quarter of a century later he could recall every detail like it was only an hour ago.

Malfoy Manor wasn't his home. Not anymore. None of the places he'd been with his wife or son were his home. They were all tombs of the man he used to be. The man who wanted to be a good husband and father. And now… now he was just a shell of that man.

If Lucius thought about where he went wrong, he could trace it back to one moment during his second year. His father took him to buy his school things, and that's when he saw her. It wasn't Narcissa, the blonde-haired angel he eventually married.

Instead, she was a raven-haired beauty: a Hogwarts first year that had caught his attention. When she was sorted into Slytherin, Lucius found out her name was Bellatrix Black. Over the next several years, she would become all he could think of. His schooling, his friends, even his devotion to the Dark Arts took a backseat to her.

For two years, Lucius had her all to himself. They did everything together. He'd even lost his virginity to her. Her sister Andromeda came to Hogwarts when he was a fourth year and she severely disapproved of their relationship. However, her disapproval seemed to push Bellatrix even harder. Soon, they were studying the Dark Arts together, along with Severus. The future Potions-Master completed their study group most nights. When Severus couldn't get away from his extra duties, they were alone.

He'd wanted to marry her from almost the first moment. At Hogwarts, Lucius found himself dreaming of what life with Bellatrix would be like. They would marry and live at the Manor. After the heir was born, they would hire a Squib to raise the boy while they toured the Continent. The Malfoy had even asked her father for permission. While the Black patriarch hadn't been thrilled with the idea, he saw the business prospects of the union. When it was obvious Bellatrix also found the engagement agreeable, he agreed. Narcissa had only been a first year when they started planning the wedding.

After he finished his schooling, Lucius was sent off for further training in the Dark Arts in Germany. He would return every month or so to see his fiancé and indulge his mother in wedding plans. Lucius was scheduled to return from Germany a month after she finished Hogwarts, and they would marry shortly there after. The months of May and June were particularly hard for him to return, and in result Lucius didn't see his would-be bride for nearly three months.

This turned out to be disastrous. When he did return, Bellatrix was pregnant and ready to run-off with Rodolphus Lestrange. Lucius learned of this and offered to marry her regardless, but she couldn't be persuaded. She married Rodolphus just days after finishing Hogwarts. Three weeks later, Bellatrix miscarried.

At that point, Lucius was unsure of what to do. His pride was wounded – his betrothed had gotten pregnant and married another man. However, since the baby was no longer a problem, the Malfoy heir was sure he could convince her to have the marriage annulled. In the end, his pride won out. He left Bellatrix to her misery with Rodolphus and went to her father. Despite the broken engagement, there was still an agreement between them. Andromeda never tempted him, but Narcissa was turning out to be promising. The marriage was arranged; the ceremony would be performed on Narcissa's eighteenth birthday.

In the meantime, Lucius returned to the Continent. He toured Germany, Italy, France, and Russia. The heir shagged his way through an enormous amount of women. While he was waiting for Narcissa to finish school, Lucius found himself and the Dark Lord.

On his wedding day, the Malfoy was already working his way through the ranks of young Death Eaters. It was there when he met with Bellatrix again. She and her husband were also followers of Voldemort. However, the black-haired witch didn't matter when he saw Narcissa Black for the first time. She was a vision in white – long, wavy blonde hair and pale blue eyes. She was thin, but possessed curves uncommon for such a slight body.

Narcissa wasn't Bellatrix, but as time passed, Lucius discovered he was very happy with the Black daughter he married. For his twenty-fifth birthday she informed him she was pregnant. Seven months later, Draco was born. His fair-haired son gave him the chance to start over. During the first six months, Lucius made promises to Draco – promises he thought he' be able to keep. He vowed to be a real father, even if he wasn't sure how. His father hadn't set the best example.

There was still the matter of the Dark Lord. It all came to a head a year after Draco was born. Lucius, Bellatrix, and Rodolphus were all summoned to Godric's Hollow one fateful night. He'd watched from a distance as his Master's spell rebounded and the most powerful wizard in a century was reduced to a fledgling, wholly unrecognizable and powerless. In response, Lucius returned to Malfoy Manor determined to forget about the Dark Lord and any influence he'd had over him.

It worked for a bit. The idiots at the Ministry were fool enough to believe he'd been under the Imperius. Not to mention, the money that changed hands. Cornelius Fudge came to power and Lucius discovered he was controllable. For nearly a decade, they lived like an ordinary family at the top of wizarding society. Lucius worked on putting Bellatrix and the Dark Lord out of his mind. Instead, he concentrated on his work at the Ministry and his son. At times, he found that Narcissa reminded him of her sister and while he still adored her, he did so at a distance.

Draco was spoiled. As a father, he'd gone out of his way to do everything he could for his young son. The boy was over-indulged, but Lucius enjoyed it. Some of his happiest memories consisted of gray eyes turning to him adoringly, full of love and amusement. Usually, Draco had just been surprised with a new gift; something he wanted and had hinted about. Narcissa always scolded him for spoiling the child, but Lucius couldn't help himself. This was the Malfoy heir. This was his son.

"Stop it," he commanded. Lucius came back to himself. He was in the Manor and years had passed since Draco had looked at him with anything but loathing in his eyes. That life was over now – Narcissa had moved on with Severus, Draco had tricked him by marrying Ginny Weasley, and he… He was left with nothing but a cold and empty manor.

The Malfoy patriarch withdrew his wand from his robe pocket. There was only one thing left to do.

"Incendio."

***


When she awoke, Ginny wasn't sure where she was or what she was doing. There was an arm wrapped tightly around her waist, holding her to a solid body. She lay perfectly still, trying to clear the sleep from her brain. That worked for exactly three seconds before she remembered she and Draco were in Belize and she had slept in his bed.

Which meant…

"I know you're awake," he drawled. "Your breathing changed."

Ginny closed her eyes, hoping he'd believe her. She knew Draco was going to want to talk – something she distinctly did not want to do.

"Ginny." When she didn't respond, Draco huffed and rolled her over. One brown eye, and then another appeared, and she was staring up at him. "Hullo."

"What time is it?" The redhead immediately sat up, trying to get away from her husband. She couldn't think when he was touching her.

"Late," he replied. "It's dark out."

"How long did we—I sleep?" Ginny questioned.

Draco lifted a shoulder. "Few hours. It's morning in Britain."

"Oh."

Ginny swung her legs off the side of the bed. "I guess I should…"

"Ginny."

"I don't want to talk about it, Draco. Not now."

"When?" She didn't answer him immediately, so her husband pressed on. "I thought we had a real shot at a relationship. A marriage. And now – tonight you announce you aren't capable of being in love. If that's so…"

Turning, she faced him. "What?"

"Ginny, where do I fit in your life?"

Her breath hitched at the look on his face. This wonderful, beautiful man was opening himself up to her completely. If she ever doubted his affection before, she was certain of it now. "I can't answer that."

"Why not?"

"I just…can't." The redhead turned her back on him again, and walked to the balcony. Their villa was on the beach; their backyard was the Gulf of Mexico. Ginny wrapped her arms around herself and looked out into the night. A moment later, Draco appeared at her side. "Draco—"

"I’m not going pressure you," the Malfoy heir stated. "I wouldn't do that to you."

"I don't understand why you want me," Ginny told him quietly. "I mean… I'm plain and boring. I'm a Weasley, for Circe's sake. I'm nothing like the women you – I'm not one of the girls you usually date, Draco. Yet, here we are, married. Because your father ordered it. I know he didn't know about our past, but it just seems all a little… odd. The marriage and the flat, and our honeymoon in the most beautiful place on Earth. It's all happening so fast."

"Then we'll go slower."

"It's not us," the redhead insisted. "My life is spinning out of control and all I can do is watch. It's like I'm not even me anymore."

Draco turned so he was facing her, not the water. "Then let me help."

"You can't."

"You don't know that. I may be able to. Just…" he hesitated. "Would you let me try?"

"Why do you want me?" she asked suddenly. Looking up at him, she asked, "Why do you love me?"

A string of hair was hanging in her face and Draco itched to reach out and touch it. But he couldn't – she didn't trust him, and he couldn't bear to see her pull away from him. "I can't remember not loving you, honestly. I didn't plan on it, of course. You…You were sixteen and I was seventeen. A seventeen-year-old boy, at that. I wasn't about to turn down a free snog."

Ginny snorted. "You were never known for using your head."

Draco colored at her comment, but decided not to point out the innuendo in her statement. "After some time, I started to care about you. I didn't recognize it at the time, so I left Hogwarts and went on with my life. There was always a… dull ache, I guess. So I started seeking out witches, hoping to fill it. Witches who weren't always attractive – at least not in the general sense – but they helped ease the ache for a bit. All of them reminded me of you.

"Then, two years or so ago, I saw you at some Ministry function. A Christmas party, I think. You were there with a brother – or maybe all of them. The entire night, you were surrounded by an entourage of redheads and Potter. He'd just started taking Granger out, I think, so there was likely a lot of press. And for the first time in years, I wanted to talk to you. I longed to hear you say my name the way only you can. I became suddenly aware of the void in my chest – the place where you used to be. I only wanted to be close to you."

"Draco—"

"No," he interrupted. He watched her for a moment, before finally reaching forward and pushing the strand of hair behind her ear. "I don't want your excuses right now. I understand that you can't love me and I accept that. I won't push you. Just…As soon as we find my father, I'll file for an annulment."

"Draco."

The blond cupped her face with his hand for a moment longer. Leaning forward, he kissed her softly. "I love you, Ginny, and I'd do anything to make you happy."

Before she could reply, he was gone.
Leave a Review