A/N: Many people have contacted me about my LJ… I would recommend that you read the story as I post it here. When I originally posted it to my LJ, it was unbetaed and written spur-of-the-moment. As I'm revisiting each chapter, I'm adding more story and editing some parts out. If you want to read what I've posted on my LJ, then please feel free. However, still read this version too – it's much, much better.

******


First Comes Marriage, Chapter 2


The cold water brought her back to reality. The redhead sighed heavily before patting her face dry. What was she doing there?

What was she thinking? She knew she didn't belong there. She never would. Even the guest room in Draco's flat made her feel out of place. She was here, with him. They would be living together. They were married. As in husband and wife. They'd exchanged vows and everything.

How could so much have changed in just a few days? Life as she knew it was over.

Only a short while ago, she'd been sitting at her desk in the Ministry, minding her own business. That's when an express owl arrived from Professor Dumbledore, requesting her immediate presence at Hogwarts. Her boss was hesitant in letting her leave, but after a quick Floo call to Dumbledore he relented. Ginny rushed home curious as to why her old Headmaster would need her.

Snape met her at the door. His "Miss Weasley," was the only greeting she received from him. He glanced her up and down before turning, his black robes billowing behind him, and started down the main corridor. Ginny found herself unsettled by this, but followed him regardless. What turned out to be more unsettling was what (or should she say who?) was waiting for her in the Headmaster's office.

Draco Malfoy. Heir to the Malfoy millions, a notorious playwizard, unscrupulous businessman, and… the one man she could never quite forget. Ginny steeled herself against that last thought and focused on the three before it. He was rich, slimy, and promiscuous. She doubted he even remembered their time together.

He didn't look like the same boy who made Ron's life miserable. The Malfoy heir was like a picture of the aristocracy. From across the room Ginny could see how well his muscles filled out his robes and his face no longer seemed pointy. His blond hair was cut short and worn loose. Her fingers itched to comb through the silky, gel-free blond tresses. The redhead clinched her fists at her sides and took a deep breath. Whatever she was here for obviously involved Draco.

She was far more familiar with Draco than any Weasley had been with a Malfoy, ever. At the time they were in school, she probably knew him better than any student at Hogwarts. What was once snogging behind draperies and in deserted classrooms quickly changed into something more. Their relationship was kept in private, as both knew no one would understand. It only lasted part of her sixth year and neither every told anyone. When Draco left Hogwarts, their families were none the wiser. It was never very serious and she accepted his decision not to see her after school ended. He was, after all, the Malfoy heir and she would always be a Weasley. The redhead joined her Mum in crying during the finishing ceremony, but her tears were not for Ron, Harry, and Hermione. The few tears she shed was for the boy she knew and the girl she'd been. Her heart broke a little that day, but Ginny never looked back.

Back to Friday in Dumbledore's office – he was sitting in a winged-back chair, looking the part of the Malfoy heir. His robes likely cost more than she earned in a month. She felt extremely uncomfortable in her standard-issue black Ministry robes. She should have changed before leaving her flat.

"Miss Weasley, thank you for joining us on such short notice."

"Thank you, Professor," Ginny replied politely. Her eyes never left Draco.

"Take a picture, it lasts longer."

"Mr. Malfoy." Dumbledore didn't feel the need to say anything else. He returned his attention to Ginny and with a flick of his wand, another chair appeared for her. "Please, sit down. We have much to discuss."

Ginny couldn't think of anything they might need to discuss. Or at least anything with Draco Malfoy in the room. He was an Auror, but there was always some gossip linking him back to his father and whoever the next Dark Lord might be. Ginny didn't want to believe it, but with his family history it was always a possibility.

"How can I help you, sir?" Her brown eyes turned to him, ignoring the man beside her.

Dumbledore's eyes twinkled mischievously. "I have a request of you, Miss Weasley. It is of the most unusual nature."

She immediately slid forward in her seat. "Yes sir?"

The old wizard's eyes swung to Draco. "Perhaps you'd like to explain, Mr. Malfoy?"

Draco nodded. He turned in his chair and began to explain. "My fat—Lucius has made a request of me, one that I'm certain I shouldn't ignore. It involves your safety, but you're not going to like the idea."

The redhead was curious now. "What is it?"

The Malfoy heir held up a hand. "Will you hear me out before you refuse completely?"

Ginny found herself nodding.

"There has been an increase in Death Eater activity in the last six months. Lucius has even mentioned to Mother several times he might attempt escape from Azkaban to join with the Death Eaters—"

"But the Dark Lord—"

"Isn't dead," Draco answered her. "Potter only weakened him. Until Potter finishes the job, servants of Voldemort will do anything they can to insure his power. My mother's sister approached me several months ago and she made it clear she wished for me to join their efforts and take the place prepared for me since birth. Bellatrix indicated that Voldemort's return to power was imminent.

"I immediately reported this information to Professor Snape. Since then, we have been trying to work on a plan to prevent resurrection."

"Where do I fit in?" Ginny asked.

"I'm getting there." Draco closed his eyes, savoring the last moments of peace before the storm. "Two weeks ago, my father informed me of my first task as a servant of the Dark Lord. He wants me to get married."

"So?"

"He wants me to marry you, Weasley."

"No," she replied immediately.

Draco didn't seem all that surprised by her immediate reaction. "You said you'd hear me out."

"I've heard enough." Ginny turned to Professor Dumbledore. "Tell me there's something else I can do to help?"

"I'm afraid, Miss Weasley, that this is where you'll be of best service. Lucius has requested you specifically to be Draco's bride."

Ginny sighed heavily. "My father. This is some sick game to get at my father."

"We think so, yes." The Headmaster's tone was gentle as he detailed the plan to her. He explained why this was important and how she could help. "We need you, Ginevra."

"The marriage will be in name only, Weasley. After Voldemort is dead, we'll divorce or have it annulled. Whichever you want."

She eyed him suspiciously. "Are you certain you aren't a Death Eater spy?"

In spite of himself, Draco could feel the corners of his mouth quirking into a smile. He would expect nothing less from Ginny. "I'm on your side, Ginny."

For some reason, she believed him. Maybe because his silver eyes were pleading with her to help him, or he was talking to her - asking her - about the decision, or maybe she just really wanted to help the Cause, or maybe, just maybe, she really believed him. Maybe Draco Malfoy wasn't evil. An insufferable git, definitely. But not an evil insufferable git. "Alright," she agreed finally.

He flashed her a crooked smile. "Perfect."

Professor Dumbledore cleared his throat and said, "We'll need to do this quickly. I've arranged for the wedding to be announced Monday evening at the Ministry sponsored Spring Gala and you'll wed the next day."

"The next day?" Ginny repeated. "That's… impossible."

"I assure you, Miss Weasley, it's very possible. It must happen this way."

Ginny was pulled to the present when Draco knocked on the bathroom door. "Weasley, are you alive in there?"

"Stupid prat," she muttered under her breath.

"Weasley?" Draco repeated. "If you don't open this door in three seconds—"

His wife yanked the door open before he started counting. "What do you want? This is my room."

Draco leaned against the door jam. "I thought you might like me to tuck you in."

"No thanks."

He eyed her carefully, finding that he liked the way she looked in his pyjamas. They were too big. "Did you know you look better in my clothes than I do?"

Ginny breezed past him into the bedroom. "Does that line actually work? Surely the great Draco Malfoy can come up with something better than that."

Draco watched her as she turned the covers on the bed back and climbed between the silk sheets. He didn't miss the sigh of contentment that crossed her face. Ginny Weasley had most likely never slept between something as fine as silk sheets before. And Draco knew he'd have to save his seduction attempts for another day. "It wasn't a line, Gin. You have to know you're beautiful."

He saw her blush before she turned away from him. "Are you sure you don't want me to tuck you in?"

Ginny nodded. "Go away, Draco."

He walked to the bed and pulled the covers up around her chin, making sure she was warm enough. "If you need anything, I'm across the hall. Don't hesitate, okay?" She nodded. "Goodnight, wife."

The redhead mumbled a goodnight at him.

Draco whispered Nox before he closed the door and the room fell black. Moonlight from the window illuminated her body. He was slightly disappointed there would be no wedding night - at least not tonight - but he knew eventually he'd get what he wanted. Malfoy's always do. And if he played it right, he wouldn't even have to seduce her.

Inside, Ginny was a little disappointed he hadn't tried harder. Maybe her new husband wasn't interested. At least not in his wife.
Leave a Review