Only the idea is mine... the characters all belong to the much more talented J.K. Rowling.

When her husband failed to return to their bedroom, Ginny started to worry. She slowly climbed from the bed, expecting him to open the door at any moment, before going through the motions of pulling a robe over Draco's shirt she'd been wearing. She also pulled her hair away from her face and retrieved her wand from the nightstand before turning towards the living room.

Ginny didn't hear any shouting or curses being thrown, so it was probably safe to assume whoever was at the door wasn't there to harm them. But they weren't expecting anyone, which could only mean one thing – this was about his father. She gripped her wand tightly before opening the bedroom door and walking calmly down the hall. Whatever she was expecting to find, her mother-in-law sitting on the settee wasn't it. "Mrs. Malfoy."

The older blonde woman turned at her name, "Call me Mum, dear." Narcissa took in her daughter-in-law's appearance and found herself breathing a sigh of relief. It was the first bit of calm she'd felt since Lucius and Severus' disappearance the day before. It was obvious to her that Draco and Ginny had worked some things out between them.

Draco reappeared then, coming from the kitchen with a cup of tea. He gave Ginny a tight smile before presenting the cup to his mother. "Can you tell me what happened?"

Narcissa took the cup with shaky hands and held it in her lap. She watched as her son went to his wife and they both sat down, facing her. She took a long sip of the tea, hoping the hot liquid would extinguish the cold she felt inside. "When I awoke, your father was sitting on Severus' side of the bed. From what I could see, Lucius had a wand pulled on him, and whatever they were talking about appeared to be a tense subject. They weren't arguing, but it was very close.

"Before last night, Severus and I discussed the possibility that Lucius would find us, especially after we received word about the Manor." Narcissa noticed Draco's lost expression and added, "Your father burned the Manor down several days ago. There was no one inside, and no one was hurt, but the house was completely destroyed. Anyway, Severus and I discussed what should happen if Lucius were to show up. I was instructed to save myself first, and Severus would take care of everything else. I was to keep your Portkey on or near my person at all times.

"Once Lucius noticed that I was awake, he turned his attention to me. It was odd, because he began to apologize for all of the things he's done over the years. It was like he was trying to make amends, but he knew it was too late for that. Whatever remained of our relationship burned down when he destroyed our home. I told him as much. This seemed to incense him further and Lucius pointed his wand at me. He started to curse me, but Severus lunged at him. They struggled, and at some point Severus shouted at me to activate the Portkey. I didn't want to leave him, but he made me take a Wizard's oath." Narcissa was becoming more hysterical with each passing minute.

Draco dropped Ginny's hand and went to his mother. He wrapped an arm around her shaking body and held her close in an attempt to soothe her. He didn't have much experience with crying women, but it cut him deep to see his mother so upset. "It's okay, Mum. You're safe now."

"I'm afraid Severus is dead, Draco. I'm afraid that Lucius killed him. He died so that I could live."

Her son continued to hold her, whispering nonsensical things, hoping to calm her down. Draco wanted to reassure her that the Potions Master was fine and would probably join them soon, but in the state she was in, he knew she wouldn't hear him. "Mum," he tried.

She continued to cry. He looked up at Ginny, whose eyes were brimming with tears. Draco was surprised when his wife stood and came to where he and his mother were seated. She sat on the other side of Narcissa and hugged the older woman tightly. He was even more surprised when his mother turned out of his embrace and buried her face in Ginny's robe. Draco left a soothing hand on her back as his wife tried her best to calm her down.

Eventually Narcissa's sobs quieted to hiccups as she regained control of herself. Ginny sat there, allowing the other woman to deal with her emotions. She felt something she never thought she'd feel for a Malfoy – pity. It was obvious how much Narcissa cared for Professor Snape and how she would mourn if he really were dead. Once she was completely quiet, Ginny spoke gently. "Mum, we don't know anything right now. Professor Snape may be alive and well, trying to get to you. Let's try to be optimistic."

The older woman lifted her head and studied her daughter-in-law. "Do you think it's possible?"

Ginny nodded. "None of us know what Lucius' plans are, so we shouldn't make any assumptions about them. It sounds as though they were talking before you woke up, so it's entirely possible Lucius needed Snape for some other reason. If that's the case, then I have no doubt he's alive."

"But for how long?" Narcissa questioned. "Who knows how long Lucius will need Severus, if he needed him in the first place."

"We need to contact the Ministry," Draco said quietly. "We need to let them know where Father was last so they can have Aurors out looking for him. The quicker they get started, the better chance they have finding him."

This seemed to calm Narcissa further. "Will you do it for me?"

Her son stood and went to the fireplace in the room. With a flick of his wand there was a fire. He tossed a handful of Floo powder out before calling out "Arthur Weasley's office" and sticking his head in. Ginny and Narcissa listened to Draco's side of the conversation as they tried to formulate a plan. The two men conversed for nearly ten minutes before Draco withdrew his head and called Ginny over. She used the Floo connection to talk with her father about her vacation and how things were going.

When Ginny finished talking to him, she pulled her head out and doused the fire. She turned, expecting to see Draco behind her, but was surprised that only Narcissa was in the room. "Where's Draco?"

"He went to your room. Said he'd be back in a minute."

The redhead frowned, before quickly crossing the living area to the room they shared. Whatever she was expecting, it wasn't seeing Draco packing a bag. "What're you doing?"

He glanced up at his wife, steeling himself for a row. "I'm going to Floo to London so I can help out."

Ginny was certain she'd heard him wrong. "What?"

Draco turned so he was facing her. "I'm going back to Britain to help find my father."

"Yes, I heard that. What I haven't heard is a reason why."

"Gin—"

She advanced on him, her anger taking over with each step. "Don't 'Gin' me, Draco Malfoy! You are not going back there! Not with that psychopath wandering about."

"That psychopath is my father, if you didn't notice. I think I can help find him."

"Or get yourself killed in the process," she offered. "Are you utterly insane? He burned your house down, Draco! He's likely kidnapped Professor Snape! What do you think he'll do to you once he finds you? He's not exactly pleased with you, if you've forgotten."

"I haven't forgotten," her husband returned hotly. "This entire ordeal is my fault, how could I forget?"

"Your fault? None of this is your fault!"

Draco exhaled harshly. "It's all my fault. If I hadn't tricked him, then he wouldn't be going after the people I care about like this. If I don't stop him, then who's next? My mother? You? I couldn't live with myself if something happened to either of you."

Ginny's face softened and she laid a hand on his arm. "Which is even more reason for us to stay here. Your father doesn't know where we are, love. He won't find us here."

"You want us to hide?" Draco moved away from her. "I won't hide from him. I'm not afraid of him."

"I didn't say you were. I'm trying to reason with you about this, though. I don't understand why you think you must go."

"Ginevra, no one knows my father better than I do. For the first sixteen years of my life, I wanted to be just like him, and I emulated his every move. I know how he thinks. I have to at least try and stop him."

"At what risk?" she asked softly. "For all you know, your father has disappeared in Europe somewhere, or he's already dead. I don't imagine Snape went down without a fight."

"If he's dead, then I need to see his body myself. I have to know my family is safe from him."

"I don't want you to go."

He approached her then, pulling her into his arms. Draco hugged her tightly, needing to feel her as much as she needed him. "I know, love. But I have to."

"Please don't."

Draco kissed the top of her before leaning back. He could see the worry in her eyes and cursed himself mentally for causing it. He knew there was nothing she could say that would change his mind. "I have to do this, Gin."

She pulled away from him then. "I can't promise you I'll be there when you return."

"Ginny—"

"I love you, Draco. I've finally admitted that to myself and to you, but I can't watch you do something so stupid. If you leave me to do this, I'm not sure where it leaves us."

He stared at her in silence as he tried to formulate a response. For years he'd been waiting for a proper chance with the witch in front of him, and now that he had it he could lose it. "Ginny, please try to understand, I'm not making a choice between you and my family. You are my family. But he's my father and I'm a large part of the reason he's doing this. I have to at least try."

She nodded once, before turning away from him. Ginny didn't want for him to see her cry. "It sounds as if you're mind is made up. Go ahead, then."

"Ginny."

The redhead dropped her shoulders in defeat before walking out of the room. She made her way to the settee where she sat down. Almost instantly she felt her mother-in-law wrap her arms around her. Ginny finally allowed herself to cry.

Draco emerged from the bedroom sometime later. He was carrying a bag and his eyes were bloodshot. His mother knew he was deeply upset over the situation with Ginny. The younger woman had cried herself to sleep and was now resting behind her. Narcissa stood and went to her son, embracing him tightly. "Draco."

He allowed himself to be comforted by his mother. The situation with Ginny seemed to be beyond repair. "Mum, I have to do this."

She nodded. "I know, love. I understand."

"Why can't Ginny? I thought…I don't know what I thought, but I'm not sure I'll make it through this if she isn't waiting for me on the other side."

"You will make it through this, Draco. You will. You're not allowed to die. As for your wife, I think she'll be there."

"How do you know?"

"She loves you, doesn't she? She won't give up on you. I won't let her."

The words from his mother seemed to comfort him. He walked to where his wife was sleeping and studied her carefully. "You won't leave her, will you, Mum? You'll stay with her and remind her of me."

"She'll remember on her own," Narcissa told him. "But, yes, I'll stay with her."

Draco hugged his mother tightly. "Thank you. Tell her every day that I'll be back for her."

Narcissa nodded. "I will. I love you and I'm proud of you. Come back to me."

He broke the hug with his mother and went to Ginny. Leaning over, he pressed a kiss in her hairline. "I love you," he whispered. "And I will be back for you." Draco pressed the back of his hand to her face, trying to memorize the feel of her skin against his. He didn't know when he would see her again.

When he straightened, Draco took his bag and went to the fireplace. He started another fire and retrieved a bag of long-distance Floo powder from his pocket before turning back to his mother. "I'll bring Severus back to you, Mum. Everything will be okay. I love you."

The older woman smiled through her tears. She really was proud of him. "I love you, too. Be safe, Draco." She pressed a kiss to his cheek before turning away.

A moment later she heard him say "Arthur Weasley's office" again and with a whoosh he was gone. Narcissa took a moment to collect herself before returning to her daughter-in-law's side.

It was just the two of them for the time being, and they'd have to stick together in order to get through this. She'd promised Draco she'd take care of his bride, and it was a promise she intend to keep. Besides, when he returned, Narcissa expected grandchildren.


***

Author's Note: First, I apologize for how long it's been... I'm the dork who sent the wrong chapter to my beta. Also, sorry for all of the drama, but I must admit that angst is my true love and I'm never very far from it. I'll be wrapping this fic up in the next few chapters, so look for more updates. I plan to update again before Christmas, but if not, then there will definitely be an update (or possibly two) before New Years.

As for other stories I've started: I do plan on finishing them. I just can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time... I try to control the ADD as much as possible.

Thanks to Cindy for the fantastic (and quick!) beta, and to all of the wonderful readers & reviewers. I really enjoy reading what you say about my story!
Leave a Review