Dear Draco…

Your mother suggested I write this letter. I think she thinks it’ll make me feel better. The idea has merit, even though I’m not certain I’ll send it to you. I’m sure you have much more to worry about than my uncertainties.

I just had lunch with Hermione. She wanted to know if you would be home to accompany me to her and Harry’s wedding. I told her I didn’t know. She also wanted me to stand up with her, which I agreed to do. Ron will be Harry’s best man, so he’ll be the one walking me down the aisle. I know you aren’t very fond of Harry, but if you’re home, I’d like for you to come with me.

I miss you. I haven’t said it out loud to anyone. I couldn’t even admit it to myself until recently. I’ve been so angry with you because you left me, but really I can’t blame you. Lucius is your father and I know you have a lot of respect for Professor Snape. It’s just been really difficult for me recently.

I need to apologize to you for the row before you left. I should have been more understanding, and less scared. It’s easy to say I trust you, but I guess I have to show it too.

We’ve been staying at your mother’s townhouse in London while you’ve been away. You probably knew that already, though. She mentioned once going to see Malfoy Manor, but then said we should wait for you to return. I’m thinking of going to stay at your flat for a few days. Your mother has the best intentions, but I need to do some thinking. I think she’s been afraid I was going to leave you while you were away (and I can’t lie, the thought has crossed my mind more than once). Maybe I’ll do that sometime this week?

I need to do some shopping, so I’m going to close. Be safe, Draco, and come home soon.

Love, Ginny

Draco folded the parchment and tucked it inside of his cloak. He appreciated her honesty. He knew leaving her would damage to their relationship, but it lifted a weight off of him knowing it wasn’t irreparable. Now if they could find his damn father, he could go home to her.

They’d set up camp for the night somewhere in Germany. He and the other Aurors had caught his father’s trail in France, and been a day or so behind him ever since. As far as they knew, Lucius was traveling light, though several people had mentioned a woman matching Bellatrix's description traveling with him. He doubted his aunt had left his side since she'd helped him escape Azkaban. Draco was certain that wherever they were going, it would be back to Voldemort. Kingsley Shacklebolt had already sent his Patronus to Dumbledore in order to contact Potter. The blond only hope he would finish the job this time.

He lay down, grateful to have a private tent to himself. The others were housing two or three men, but Draco found it was sometimes beneficial to be an arsehole. Plus, this hadn't initially been his mission, and because he joined late, he provided his own supplies.

As he lay there, he let his thoughts drift back to Ginny. He now knew he shouldn't have left things how they were between them. Draco knew it was unlikely she would have agreed with his leaving, but somehow he would have made her see reason. From reading her letter, he knew he almost did permanent damage to this relationship. Draco couldn't imagine losing her because of his idiocy.

He hoped they found his damn father soon, so he could go home. He missed Ginny almost more than he could bear. Maybe it was just him, but she seemed sad in her letter.

As Draco lay there, falling asleep, he thought about how it was almost over. For Shacklebolt to have summoned Potter, they must have been closer than he thought. In another day or so, he might actually be on his way home. Draco wasn't sure what he was going to say to his father once he finally saw him. There was no love left in his heart for the older man, but he still felt responsible for him. Lucius deserved to rot in Azkaban for all he'd done, and Draco was going to make sure that happened.

When he woke the next morning, the other Aurors were already packing up camp. Draco lay there for a moment, gathering his wits about him. Today was the day. He didn't know how or why, but he knew they were going to catch up with his father and Bellatrix today. It would all be over soon. With that thought, he began to gather his things together.

His previous thoughts were confirmed when he exited his tent to be greeted by Potter. The black-haired man was sitting by the fire, roasting bangers. He acknowledged Draco with a nod of his head. "Malfoy."

"Potter." The blond went to the fire, holding his hands out to warm them. "Been here long?"

"A few hours. Kingsley asked me to help prepare breakfast." Harry reached up and pushed his glasses back up his nose. "He figures today will be the day we catch up with them."

"Isn't that why you've been called?" Draco questioned. He rubbed his hands together, hoping to create some heat. It really was too cold to be camping outside. "Think you'll finish the job this time?"

Harry looked cross at this statement. "I'm prepared to do whatever is necessary."

The blond raised an eyebrow. "Really? Including the Killing—"

"No," Harry cut him off. "Not that. But Dumbledore and I have worked out another method. When I face him this time, it will be the last time."

Whether Draco believed him or not, he didn't comment. He could only hope that Harry's words were truth. "How is your bride-to-be?"

"Going crazy with the wedding plans. I left her this morning, in fact."

"How long is it now?" Draco wasn't really interested in Potter's pending nuptials with Granger, but at least he had someone to talk to. Besides, he'd have to learn how to get along with Potter, he supposed.

"Three weeks. She's finalizing everything." Harry pulled the pan from the fire and pulled a loaf of bread from his bag. He made a sandwich by folding the bread over the sausage, and offered it to the other man. When Draco took it, Harry continued. "I saw Ginny yesterday at lunch and Hermione asked her to be in the wedding party."

Draco knew that already, from the letter. What he hadn't known was that she'd seen Potter. "How is she?" he asked, curiously. He didn't want Potter to know about the tension between them.

Harry shrugged his shoulders. "The same, I suppose. Our exchange was much more pleasant than the afternoon in your flat. She seemed happy enough." The black-haired man studied his one-time nemesis carefully. Draco seemed…tense. Almost grateful for the news about his wife. "Is everything okay between the two of you?"

"I think so. Did she say something to make you think otherwise?" Draco shoved his hands in his cloak pockets, suddenly nervous about what Potter might tell him.

"She didn't say much about the two of you, to be honest. Just that you'd been gone for about two weeks, and she was staying with your mother. I left after that. But Hermione asked her later, and Ginny admitted to her that things weren't going well."

"Not going well?" he repeated. "Did Granger say that Ginny said that?"

"No," Harry shook his head. "Hermione said that the two of you had a row about your leaving, and hadn't spoken since you'd been gone. I thought I might be friendly and inquire about the state of your relationship. Ginny means a great deal to me, after all."

Draco rolled his eyes. "Yes, yes, I know. Like a sister, I'm sure. While everything Granger told you is very much true, Ginny sent me a post just yesterday. It seems things might…improve."

The other man nodded his head. "I see. Well then, I wish you luck." Harry turned his attention to his breakfast, then. That morning Hermione had packed him a flask of his favorite coffee and he savored it along with the sandwich. "Malfoy?"

"Yes, Potter?"

"Do you love her?"

Draco looked over at him, befuddled by the question. "Of course I do. What a silly question, Potter. I wouldn’t have married her otherwise."

Harry shifted uncomfortably. "I know, Malfoy."

"Know what?"

"Why you married in the first place. Dumbledore told me."

The blond looked at him, unable to believe what he was hearing. "What is it that the old man told you?"

"That your father ordered you to marry Ginny. That it was all about revenge; and you were going along with it to help the Cause. He made it clear that the two of you planned on having the marriage annulled when your father was recaptured."

This was really not the time, nor the place to be having this discussion. Anyone could walk by, hear the story, and sell it to the rags for millions. While their families deserved to know the truth that was not the way they ought to hear it. "He shouldn't have told you those things."

"Are they true?"

"We shouldn't be discussing this here, Potter. Anyone could overhear."

Harry frowned. "I'm not concerned with that right now. I only want to know what's best for Ginny."

"Well, then, shut your trap." Draco's voice was hard. "I can tell you that what's not best for Ginny is for her family to read what you just told me in the Prophet."

"So it's true, then?"

Draco couldn't but notice the number of people hanging around. "For God's sake, Potter, shut your trap!"

"Malfoy—"

It was obvious the git wasn't going to drop the matter. Draco stood, and motioned for Harry to follow him into his tent. Once inside, he cast the strongest silencing charm he knew on the room. "I can't believe I'm telling you of all people, but yes, what Professor Dumbledore told you is true. Ginny and I married because my father wished it."

"But why?"

"He was never clear. Gin seems to think it had something to do with her father. I know Lucius hates Arthur Weasley."

Harry nodded. "True. And the rest? Is that true as well? Are you planning an annulment?"

"At the moment, no."

"Surely you don't intend to carry on this farce of a marriage."

Draco glared at him. "Who said it was a farce?"

"You did—" Harry stopped mid-sentence, realizing the implications of what Draco was saying. They'd really been a little too comfortable together at his flat. "You do love her."

The blond flinched, but said nothing. His relationship with Ginny was none of Potter's business. "Does she know?" the git continued. "Does she love you back?"

As far as Draco was concerned, the conversation was over. He lifted the silencing spell before saying, "If you'll excuse me, I need to finish packing. You know where the door is."

Harry knew he'd get nothing more from the other wizard, about Ginny or anything else. He exited the tent quietly.

They’d been walking for hours before a scout they’d sent ahead returned with news. According to him, Death Eaters had set up camp a little more than a mile away, on the Elbe. Even though it was only midday, it looked like they were stopping for the day.

The Aurors decided to stop for lunch and an impromptu strategy meeting. It was quickly agreed that they should attack today, for fear that once Voldemort and his followers crossed the Elbe, there would be nothing between them and Poland where he was known to have many followers. Even though no one ever voiced it, they all knew they could disappear for years if that happened.

After it was agreed that they should surround the Death Eaters, cutting off any escape routes, the group split into three groups. Shacklebolt was the leader of the first group, taking twelve Aurors to the east. Tonks and Lupin lead the second group of Aurors west. Draco and Harry were in the last group to leave. Theirs was also the smallest group, with only five members. Shacklebolt made it clear he hoped most of the fighting would be finished by the time Harry arrived. Draco had protested at being left behind, wanting to find his father as soon as possible, but the older man wouldn’t hear of it. He’d even said Dumbledore gave him special instructions concerning Draco. He hadn’t liked it, but Draco had finally given in.

Shacklebolt had also instructed him to keep Potter company, again something that apparently came from Dumbledore. Draco was beginning to think the old wizard did nothing but interfere with things that should be left alone. The other three members of their party were walking ahead, checking for any traps, and he was left to guard the four-eyed git. What made it all worse was that he was bored out of his mind. About twenty minutes earlier, they heard the fighting start, which was where Draco wanted to be.

They continued on in silence, neither seeming to have much to say to the other. Draco had seen Potter open his mouth several times to say something, but he always closed it. After he’d done it for the fifth time, Draco snapped, “Just say it Potter.”

“Say what?”

“You’re obviously dying to say something. Just spit it out.”

“How did you—” Harry stopped when he saw Draco’s glare. "Our seventh year, Ginny had a secret boyfriend. It was you."

"Did she tell you that?"

"No. But I know that after she broke up with Dean Thomas, Ginny started seeing various blokes. It drove Ron nutters. But early in our seventh year, the rumours about her stopped. She admitted to Hermione that she was seeing someone secretly, but never told her who. She could never figure out why, but if it was you, then it makes sense."

Ginny had called him her boyfriend? "So was it you?" Potter asked again.

"Yes," he admitted. "Gin and I were seeing each other during my seventh year."

"And that's when you fell in love with her," the other man concluded.

"We both work for the Ministry, Potter." Draco knew the excuse was weak.

"But so does my fiancée. Hermione may not be a gossip, but she does listen to it. Someone would have known something. From what she says, and I saw at Ministry functions, the two of you barely acknowledged each other. I'd bet you hadn't even spoken until Dumbledore arranged for you to meet."

Draco was saved from responding by another member of their group approaching. "This conversation is finished, Potter. Don't bring it up again." They both turned their attention to the other man.

"We're only a hundred or so meters away now. Are the two of you ready?"

Draco nodded. He'd been ready for this confrontation for weeks. Turning to Potter he said, "Leave my father to me. I don't want him killed."

"Malfoy—"

"I'll take him back to Azkaban. I don't want him killed."

The black-haired man opened his mouth to argue, but he stopped himself. It was obvious Malfoy had his reasons for what he was about to do. "Okay. What about Snape?"

"What about him?" Draco questioned. "My father took him against his will. Find him and set him loose. He'll help us."

Harry withdrew his wand from his robe. "I guess it's now or never, then."

Leave a Review