A/N: I apologize for how long it has been… to make it up to you, I'm going to attempt to have another out within the week. Again, thanks to Rainpuddle13 for the fabulous beta.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Draco side-stepped her, so that his body was pressed against her back. There was no need to let the entire wizarding world know his wife had given him an erection. Leaning down, he kissed her neck before whispering, "We need to go home. Now."

Her brown eyes widened when she realized what she was feeling. "What about your Mum?"

"Sod, Mum." Draco leaned in for another kiss.

She welcomed the kisses on her neck, though she knew already how addictive they could be. "Draco, you told her we'd be there. Eight, remember?"

"Ginny," he whined. "I can't see my mother in this state!"

"I'm sure there's a loo where you can take care of your problem."

"Wh-what?"

Ginny smiled back at him sweetly. Taking the arm wrapped around her waist she pulled him towards the club entrance. "Come, love. I need a drink."

Draco allowed himself to be led into the club, the wizards waiting in line smiling knowingly at him. He knew they were all picturing Ginny in various stages of undress, he could see it in their smiles. Damn them all; she was his. And she wasn't the only one that needed a drink. He needed something stiff, err, straight, err… he needed something!

She pulled him to the bar and ordered a red wine. Draco didn't question why she was ordering Muggle alcohol as he ordered a double scotch neat and downed the amber liquid instantly. "What was that about?" he whispered in her ear.

"Payback."

Her husband wound his arm around her waist, tugging her closer. "Payback? What did I do?"

"You know."

"It was a joke, Gin."

Ginny glared at him. "You embarrassed me, so I thought I'd give it back." She glanced down towards his groin. "Don't you need to take care of that?"

The Malfoy heir could feel the pink tinge his cheeks. "I'm fine."

"You sure?" she questioned. "Wouldn't want you to have an accident during dinner. What would your Mum say?"

"I honestly have no idea what Mum will say about you, love. She'll be appalled that you're a Weasley, but intrigued nonetheless."

Pulling back slightly, Ginny frowned. "Why must you always bring up my parents? In school, when you weren't sticking your tongue down my throat, you were hurling insults at me. Always something about my robes, or my house, or my parents. You can't have both, Malfoy. We'll have a happy, peaceful marriage, or we'll have war." Disentangling herself entirely, she finished with, "It's your choice. But I will not tolerate anymore claims against my family."

Draco watched as she turned and walked away from him. Her words turned over in his head as he studied the back of her dress robes. Unfortunately, he couldn't tell if there was a line from her knickers or not. Damn.

When she returned to him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned in close. Their lips were almost touching when she asked, "How long must we carry on this charade?"

The blond locked his hands around his back, but leaned back. "Charade?"

"Where we're sickly sweet to each other?" Ginny questioned. "It really is rather disgusting."

"But necessary," he said in a low voice. "Our marriage must appear real."

"To who? The public? Our friends? Our families? Does your Mum know the truth?"

His hair fell into his eyes when he shook his head. "No one, except Snape, Father, and Dumbledore. It's imperative we keep it that way."

Her fingers played with the hair at his nape. "I won't tell. If you want a loving wife, you'll get a loving wife."

Draco tugged her closer, brushing his lips against her cheek. He kissed a trail to her ear, where he whispered, "Don't make promises you can't keep."

His wife moved her hips against his suggestively. "I never make promises I can't keep."

"We have to go. Now." Draco wrapped her in his arms and prepared to Apparate them both home.

"Malfoy Manor," she told him. "We're going to dinner with your mother."

"Ginny."

Her eyes glittered like diamonds. "Draco."

"But—"

Leaning forward, she bit his earlobe gently. "I'm not going to put out."

He grinned mischievously, liking the challenge he heard in her voice. "We'll see."

"I don't believe in sex before marriage."

His grin turned into a smirk. "That's perfect. Because we're already married. Happy Birthday to me."

"Malfoy. Your Mum's. Now."

"You'll pay for this, Ginevra," Draco vowed. "You'll pay."

A second later, Ginny heard him whisper the Apparation spell. She wrapped her arms tighter around him, not wanting to be splinched. When she opened her eyes, Ginny was pleased that they were at Malfoy Manor.

"Darling!" Narcissa Malfoy called. She stood to greet her son. "I've just got your owl." The blonde woman kissed her son on the cheek. "And your wife, I presume?"

"Mother, you've met Ginevra Weasley."

His mother's eyes swung the redhead. She took in her mussed hair and slightly swollen lips. She also noted the possessive hand resting on the curve her waist. "So, the woman who convinced my son to marry."

Ginny smiled brightly. "It's so nice to meet you, Mrs. Malfoy. I've heard so much about you."

"Dear, don't smile like that. It does nothing for your face."

"Mother!" Draco admonished. "You'll treat Ginny with respect."

The older woman turned down her nose. "Darling, she's a commoner—a Weasley!"

Ginny stiffened. "Yes, well I may be a Weasley, but I at least have manners. You would think all of your good breeding would have afforded you some."

"I told you she had fire, Narcissa," a silky voice called from the side of the room.

Draco felt Ginny sag against him. Perfect, just what they needed. The redhead turned and smiled, though it was a little forced. "Professor Snape."

"Mrs. Malfoy," he replied coolly. Snape took a moment, observing Draco, everything from the way his hand was draped possessively over her hip to how his body was perfectly aligned with hers. "Draco."

"Severus."

Narcissa watched as her son and her paramour exchanged a quick glance. She made a mental note to ask Severus later. "We should make our way to the dining room. Dinner is ready to be served." Holding out her hand towards Draco, she smiled, "Come, Draco."

"Mum—" he began.

Ginny cut him off by saying, "No, love. Escort your Mum. I'll walk in with Professor Snape."

His silver eyes swung to hers. "Are you sure?"

She nodded once before impulsively leaning forward and kissing the corner of his mouth. It was oddly chaste and innocent, but more affectionate than any kiss they'd shared before. "I'll be right behind you."

Her husband left her side and joined his mother, letting the older woman tuck her arm into his elbow, before setting off for the dining room. Snape joined Ginny a moment later, offering his arm. "Thank you," she demurred, placing her hand into the crook.

"That was very cozy, Miss Weasley." He looked down at her, instantly reading her thoughts. "You're falling for him."

"I am not."

He gave her an almost-smile, just a tiny upward quirk of his lips, before saying, "Deny it all you want. What knows the heart better than the mind?"

"We're friends," Ginny insisted. "This is only…"

"What?" he questioned. "A marriage of convenience? That's not what you really think."

"How do you know?"

Snape reached up and tapped a finger against her temple. "I know."

She would have responded, but Draco reappeared in the doorway. The movement caught her eye and she dropped Snape's arm and went to her husband. Ginny wouldn’t look back at the Potions Master, too afraid of what else he would see in her.

***


Draco Malfoy had never seen his mother be so rude to someone. Even to someone he knew she hated; someone she complained about constantly, the woman still maintained her sugary sweet personality. Yes, he knew her tongue could be razor-sharp, but never in company.

Although, to be technical, Ginny was family, not company. But still, Narcissa had been making digs at Ginny for most of the night. From his seat, Draco could see his wife's tightly curled fist in her lap. He wouldn't doubt that she would have crescent shaped marks in her palms tomorrow. All because of his mother.

When dinner ended, he hoped he and Ginny could Apparate home immediately. His mother, however, had different plans. "Draco, darling, why don't you join Severus for a drink in the study." Her eyes swung to Ginny. "He needed to speak with you."

"Mum—"

"I insist, dear. It's important. Surely you can tear yourself away from your tart for a few moments."

Draco turned to his wife then, his eyes asking the question he knew would be improper to voice. "Go on," she encouraged him. "I'll be fine."

He mustered a half-hearted smile and kissed her cheek. "She loves you, don't worry."

"I'm sure." Ginny was oddly comforted by the way he squeezed her hand in support. "Go." She could see the black-haired man waiting at the doorway. "Snape needs to speak with you."

He reluctantly stepped back, dropping her hand. "I'll just be in the next room."

Narcissa huffed impatiently. "It's not like I'm going to eat her, Draco. Do be sensible."

"I'll be down the hall, if you should need me." Draco was careful to say it loudly enough for his mother to hear, but the comment was directed to Ginny. With one last glance backwards he followed Snape out of the room.

The Potions professor shut the door before he began speaking. "That looked cozy."

"She's my wife, Severus. Mother would be suspicious otherwise."

"As if she's not," the other man murmured. He'd been subjected to Narcissa's ranting for nearly an hour before they arrived - the fact that her son married without her approval was one thing, the fact that he married someone she considered inferior was another.

"Mum wants me to be happy. She'll accept Ginny."

"It's temporary, Draco, or need I remind you. While you're playing house, some of us are trying to stay one step ahead of whatever your father is masterminding."

"I'm not playing house," Draco refuted hotly. "You and Dumbledore said it needed to appear real."

"Yes, I'm not sure if it could seem more real. Have you seen this afternoon's Prophet?"

"No. But I imagine there are pictures from shopping in Diagon Alley. And probably reports from various shop girls attesting to our obvious affection. One particularly convincing from a shop where I—" he stopped short of his explanation.

"Picked out some knickers," Snape finished in a bored tone. "Yes, Narcissa read the entire article to me."

"You instructed us to act in love!"

"I said act, not fall."

"I'm not in love with Ginny Weasley!"

Snape raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced. "I'm not!" Draco insisted. "She and I are having fun."

"You're playing with fire," his mentor advised. "This is business, Draco. You shouldn't mix business with pleasure."

The Malfoy heir pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I'm not. Why won't you believe me?"

The Hogwarts professor took the seat behind the desk – Lucius Malfoy's desk – and templed his fingers beneath his chin. "You don't believe yourself, Draco. I know you had some sort of a relationship with the Weasley girl during school—"

"We did not have a relationship!"

"You were bloody in love with her," Snape cut in. "You said as much."

"I was a stupid, arrogant little boy. I was seventeen. I knew nothing about love," Draco told him. "I couldn't even fathom what love was then. Ginny was… she was different from any girl I'd ever spent any time with. But it didn't mean I fancied her."

"You sound like you've gained some perspective on love." Snape leaned forward. "Want to share?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "I grew up. I've been in a few relationships, I've been in love."

"With who?" the other man questioned. "You've never had a relationship that lasted longer than three weeks."

"Why the sudden interest in my life?" Draco questioned. "Thinking of switching teams? Wonder what it might be like to—"

Snape stood abruptly, glaring at his protégé. "This conversation is over. Give your mother my regrets."

With a flick of his wand, he was gone. Draco stood, amused, and went to find his wife and mother. He just hoped one of them wasn't dead.

***


Ginny listened to Narcissa Malfoy sigh for the third time in as many minutes and rolled her eyes. "Just say it."

"Say what?" Draco's mother asked innocently.

"Whatever snide remark you're obviously trying to hold in. Trying and failing, I might add. You have no tact."

"No tact?" she questioned. "You, a dirt poor Weasley, marrying the richest bachelor in Britain just hours after announcing your engagement. And I'm the one with no tact?"

"Draco is the one who insisted on the wedding, not me."

Narcissa sniffed. "So the rumors are true, then? You're with child." She pressed her hand over her heart and exhaled loudly. "Oh Morgana, he's gotten you pregnant."

"I'm not pregnant!"

"Then why?" the other woman questioned. "Why not meet his family? Why not seek my approval? What does your family think of all of this?"

Ginny pressed her right hand into the bridge of her nose, clearly frustrated. Damn Draco Malfoy for leaving her with this woman! "Look—"

"The ring," Narcissa interrupted. "Not your wedding band, but the other. Might I see it?"

The redhead hesitated, not sure what Narcissa might do with it. Of course, this was Draco's mother, a Malfoy at that, she wouldn't try anything incredibly stupid. She hoped. Ginny tugged the new ring off her finger and held it out to her mother-in-law.

Narcissa plucked it from her palm and held it up for a closer inspection. "A rather interesting stone. Some kind of pearl, I assume?"

Ginny nodded in affirmation. "Draco found it this afternoon."

"I think what you mean is Draco gave you the money and you found it."

Shaking her head, Ginny said, "No. We were in Diagon Alley and he took me to a jeweler. He found the ring. Picked it out himself."

"Really?"

"Yes." The younger woman frowned. Did she think she was lying now? "I rather like it."

"I've never known my son to pick out jewelry. I wasn't even aware he knew a jeweler. Generous with his money, yes. But quite stingy with affection. Are you sure he's the one who found it?"

"Yes," Ginny replied, exasperated.

"I had no idea it was this serious. If he's buying you jewelry, I feel like I must welcome you to the family."

"Wh-what?"

Narcissa smiled at the confused woman. "It's simple, dear, do try to follow along. My son does not buy gifts. He does not go to jewelry shoppes; he does not pick out rings. Draco gives money. Lots and lots of money. According to you, he chose this ring himself."

"I don't see where you're going with this."

"It's clear that Draco is in love with you, Ginevra."

"Mother!" Draco yelled from the door. Ginny turned to find her husband looking rather embarrassed, but not denying his mother's accusation.

This marriage suddenly got a lot more interesting.
Leave a Review