Title: A Matter of Identity
Author: ragdollangel
Categories: Humor, Romance
Disclaimer: They aren't mine (I wish they were). All hail JKR.
Feedback: I love reviews… almost as much as I love Draco ::sighs::
Date Posted: 17th April, 2005

[Author’s Note] Thank you to everyone who reviewed, and a big thanks to Chuya for the beta-ing (and the reassurance) =)
----------



Introducing Draco as Lord James


Draco’s jaw dropped, “Eh?”

The Weasley girl, it seemed, was standing there in rather doubtful attire, and staring at him in a way he was definitely sure her brother would not approve of.

She raised her right hand towards him, and he took a step backwards. Certainly she didn’t expect him to kiss it? What the bloody hell was wrong with her?

“Sod off, Weasley,” he finally managed, and brushed past her.

Ginny turned around, confused and hurt, as Ron rushed at her.
“Are you off your rocker?” he yelled disbelievingly, grabbing her arm, “Get back here and sit down.”

“What insolence!” roared Ginny, white with rage, “Do not lay another finger on me, you ill-mannered scoundrel, or I shall see to it that you regret the very day you were born!”
She stormed out, followed hurriedly by Hermione and Ally.

The silence in the Hall could have been cut with a knife, as Ron stood there with mingled exasperation and anger, watching her go.

---

“This is crazy,” fumed Ron, pacing around the Common Room. The other Gryffindors watched him cautiously from across the room. “What’s wrong with her? Why Malfoy? Why him? WHY?”

“It’s just for two weeks,” started Harry patiently, “And I’m sure everything will be fine-“

“No, it WON’T,” retorted Ron.
“Can’t we lock her up, or something?” he added wistfully.

‘I don’t really think that’s an option,” replied Harry sympathetically, “I suppose she’d just get worse. Madame Pomfrey said we ought to play along for a while, so lets just stick to that. Today’s just the first day- I’m sure it’ll get better.”

“Why Malfoy?” groaned Ron.

But even Harry didn’t have an answer to that.

---

“Why will he not speak to me?” moaned Ginny, “Why does he not even acknowledge my presence?”

Hermione sighed.
“Maybe he was just tired- I know he cares for you and would never do anything intentionally to hurt you,” she said, cringing inwardly. “After a good night’s rest, I’m sure things will look better.”

Ginny continued to look miserable. Ally offered her a chocolate frog, but she ignored her.
“I know I have denied this several times, Mother,” she said sadly, “But Lord James is my favorite.”

“Your favorite what?” asked Hermione, puzzled.

“Suitor, Mother! My favorite suitor.” She looked suspiciously at her.
“Are you not feeling well today? You have not been yourself. Is something the matter?”

“No, no,” replied Hermione hurriedly. “I am just very tired and I was so worried about you today.”

“You will make sure he knows of my feelings, will you not?” asked Ginny.

“I’ll see what I can do,” she replied uncertainly.

“You must, you must,” cried Ginny, “I am in a dreadful state. I fear I shall lie awake all night, just thinking of this.”

“Look,” said Hermione brightly, “I’ll make something warm to drink, and the three of us can sit down, have a nice chat, and not think of Dra- Lord James for a while…”

“Mother!” exclaimed Ginny, aghast, “What is wrong with you? Suggesting that we associate with common folk,” she paused, looking distastefully at Ally, “What is nobility coming to these days?”

Hermione rolled her eyes in disbelief. She was quite sure she never wanted children after this. Who would have ever thought that sweet little Ginny would turn out to be such a terror?

Ginny stood up and motioned to Ally, “My clothes, Mary”
Ally bustled around, and got her nightclothes together, before realizing she was expected to undress her as well.

Hermione sighed, and left the room.

---

“NO,” said Ron emphatically,“ No, no, no… and a thousand times no. We are not going to ask that prick Malfoy if he would please pretend to be my little sister’s love interest for the next few days. I absolutely forbid it.”

“It’s the only way, Ron,” persisted Hermione, “She’s getting more difficult to handle every minute, and she’s driving poor Ally absolutely insane.”

“She’s driving me insane,” muttered Ron.

“Well, if Malfoy agrees - although it’s highly unlikely – at least she’ll be in a better mood. She treats you and her ‘maid’ like dirt, she refuses to listen to anything I say, and she doesn’t seem to think much of Harry… I don’t think there’s much we can do for her. And as hard as this is to accept, he’s probably the only one who can handle her”

Ron buried his head in his hands, mumbling, “And to think that I used to play with her little doll set…” Harry grinned, as he continued moodily, “Look at her now, she’s almost as bad as that bloody ferret- in fact, I think she’s just as horrible as he is.”

He paused, and Hermione looked at him expectantly.
“Okay,” he muttered grudgingly, “I see the point.”
“But I still don’t like it,” he added darkly.

---

“You want me to do what?” Draco looked from Harry to Hermione, as if they had gone insane. Ron stood further away, refusing to look him in the eye.

Hermione took a deep breath, “Look here, Malfoy. As much as I despise you, Ginny seems to believe that you are her suitor- her favorite suitor, I might add –so please stop being tiresome, and just do this for two weeks.”

Before Draco could say another word, she continued briskly, “You would have to be civil to us of course- at least while she’s around.”

“And I suppose we would have to be civil to you too,” added Harry unhappily.

“That isn’t much compensation,” sneered Draco, “If I have to go around from now on pretending to be interested in a Weasley, surrounded by Potter, Granger and another Weasley, you need to make it worth my while.”

“Oh, you won’t have a problem with her,” said Hermione thinly. “She appears to be a complete snob, and is just as annoyingly conceited as you are.”

“A Weasley with an attitude,” remarked Draco. “Sounds interesting…”

He thought for a moment, then continued slowly, “Let me get this straight. I’m Lord James- the suitor, Granger- unfortunately –is the mother, and Potter is Lord Giles- the mother’s boyfriend.”

“Family friend,” said Harry lamely, as Hermione blushed.
Draco brushed him off.
“Who is Weasley, then?” he asked pointedly.

Hermione hesitated, looking guiltily at Ron.
“Um, he’s just, um…” started Harry, and paused awkwardly.

Draco raised an eyebrow curiously.

“Alright!” burst Ron, stepping forward, “I’m the bloody carriage driver. There, are you happy now?”

Draco smirked with satisfaction.
“Wonderful”, he said. “I think I’ve made up my mind. I’m going to do this.”

---

As Harry tried to calm a furious Ron, Hermione looked out of the window wearily. So the charade would begin tomorrow.

Since it was obvious that Ginny could not attend classes, Hermione had been given permission to lock her in the dormitory during the daytime. She had spent the past half hour explaining to a very unwilling Ginny that it would be best if she were to remain indoors during the day for the next week or so, and for her to meet Lord James later.

Draco had agreed to take her out for a walk in the evenings, and thinking back on the conversation with him, Hermione shook her head unbelievingly.

She had never expected him to agree.

---

Draco sat back, thinking about what had just happened. It was going to be an eventful two weeks, he was sure of it- with Granger and Potter referring to him as ‘my Lord’, while the red haired git acted servile.

He smirked again.
This was going to be perfect.

Plus, the Weasley bint was rather easy on the eyes.


---x---x---
Leave a Review