Ain't it funny how a moment

Could just change your life

And you don't want to face

What's wrong or right

Ain't it strange

How fate can play a part

In the story of your heart



"I can't take this anymore! You're just so full of yourself," Virginia said angrily as she walked out of his life for the second time in eight years.



"She's running away from you again," Johnny said as he entered the room, and shut the door behind him. He surveyed how his childhood friend was taking it; not good at all. "Draco, shove your pride up your arse and chase after her already!"

Draco continued to stare at the door, grey eyes lifeless, yet his hands tightened up into fists. His feet refused to move, his mind was dead set against chasing after her, yet his heart told him to get his act together.

"You don't want to make the same mistake twice," Johnny continued wisely.

“It’s already too late though. She hates me,” Draco responded, as he took a seat behind the large mahogany desk. He leaned back on the leather chair and propped his feet up. He wouldn’t let Virginia mess with his mind. If she was going to run, then it was fine by him.

Johnny shook his head, “It’ll be too late when we leave this place next week. You have this chance Malfoy, take it. Virginia loves you, and Juliet is living proof of that love. Just go after her; it’s that easy.”

“But you don’t know her like I do! She’s so… stubborn. And annoying, and…” He banged his hand on the desk. He looked up at his close friend, “I’ve been a prat, haven’t I?”

“You will be if you don’t hurry and catch up to her. You’re daughter looked like she was about to cry when she saw Virginia come out of this room, steaming.”

Draco shook his head, “Why me?”

Johnny just shrugged, “Why anyone? Just because.”

“What kind of answer was that?” Draco asked incredulously.

“A short one. Now go find your soul mate,” Johnny ordered, and pointed dramatically towards the door. He had an all knowing smile pasted on his face as Draco passed by him.

All in a day’s work, Johnny thought. They better give me a huge piece of their wedding cake, and maybe name their next kid after me. Johnny nodded, turned off the lights, and locked the office as he exited.

He was greeted with the rest of the band, all crowded around the door and eagerly waiting for some news.

“What did you tell him, Luv?” Tory asked as she snaked her arm around his own, resting her head against his shoulder.

Johnny just laughed as he noticed the curious glances from the others. “You all want to know what I said to the blind bloke?”

“Well, I for one, do. You’re not exactly known for your good advice Johnny.” Sammy smiled sweetly at the flabbergasted man.

“I simply told him to chase after her,” he shrugged, much to the annoyance of his wife. He hadn't noticed her head was still resting on his shoulder. “Oh sorry Tory,” Johnny blushed as his wife removed her head from his shoulder.

“Sure you are dear,” Tory pouted.

“So…” Adrian began. Silence followed soon after.

“Oh hell, we all want to know what’s happening, right?” Sammy glanced at the small group and was met by nods and mumbles. “Then let’s get out of here and go find them already! Draco might need some pointers and all that.”

“No,” Tory shook her head, “We’re grown adults. As such, we’ll stay here and get back to the matter at hand.”

“But Draco’s not here and I want to find out what’s happening, Tory,” whined Adrian.

“No.”

“But…”

“No Adrian. Just no,” was Tory’s brisk reply as she made them sit around the conference table and discuss the future plans of Wistful Bliss.



* * *



Draco turned into another hall, much to his annoyance. He had hoped to find Virginia and Juliet outside the building, but alas, that Virginia had long legs and sped off towards her apartment; an apartment Draco wasn’t quite sure where it was located.

Just as he made another turn, he barely caught sight of a red head, dragging along a small blond haired child. He smirked as he watched Virginia’s frustration and Juliet’s obvious tantrum.

“Might as well make my move,” he said to himself as he quickened his pace until he caught up with his ex-fiancée. “Virginia,” he said, clamping onto her thin arm.

She turned around, face red and eyes glazed over with anger. “What is it Draco?” she asked, trying to appear unfazed yet failing miserably. She took a few deep breaths, then calmed down immensely. If only he could do the same.

“I don’t want to make the same mistake twice,” he mumbled, remembering what Johnny had told him previously. He let go of her arm and rubbed his sweaty palms against his black slacks as he stared at his shoes, as if it were the attraction of the day. “I was a git and terribly rude to you. Will you please forgive me?” He glanced upward quickly, then looked quickly down. It was un-Malfoy-like, but when it came to Virginia, everything was different.

Virginia shrugged, “Fine Draco, I forgive you. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m busy at the moment with a wiggling and uncooperative little girl.” And with that, she continued on her way, leaving behind a shocked Draco.

He got out of his daze however and ran up to her once more. “That’s it? Just a simple ‘I forgive you’?” He was confused by the simplicity of it all.

“Well you did ask for forgiveness Draco, what did you expect me to say? We aren’t little kids anymore,” she replied, her fiery brown eyes looking into his own, surprised grey ones.

He bit the tip of his tongue as he tried to figure out what to say to her next. “Virginia, perhaps we can get together sometime soon…”

She shook her head, “I don’t think so Draco. Sorry, but I need to leave.” Her cheeks had a tint of red at the very thought of it.

“Please Virginia,” he begged, “I do believe we have things to discuss.”

“Mommy will go,” Juliet said, startling both her parents.

“Now dear,” Virginia reprimanded, “It’s not nice to plan your Mum’s life.”

Draco could only smirk, “Tonight at six PM Virginia. I’ll pick you up of course.”

“But what about…” Virginia began, but Draco quickly interrupted.

“Don’t worry about Juliet. I know a certain old couple who would just be delighted to meet her.” He winked at his daughter, who winked back at him. He had admit, it was a bit unnerving, seeing his own unusual grey eyes other than himself and his own father, on his daughter.

Virginia folded her arms, “And who exactly is the old couple? Can I trust them with my baby?”

“They’re my parents,” he replied in a dry voice.

“Then absolutely not! They’ll might kill her, or place a curse on her or something.”

Draco stared at her, flabbergasted, “For god’s sakes woman! These are my parents we’re talking about. They won’t harm my own daughter.”

Virginia shook her head. “They hate all Weasleys. And what are you going to tell them? Hi Father and Mother, this is my daughter I never knew existed. Please watch her as I have lunch with her mother. Oh, her mother? She Virginia Weasley! You know, the daughter of one of your worst enemies…”

“Sarcasm really does suit you Virginia,” Draco said admirably. “But I have to tell my parents sometime, and it’s better to tell them now.”

"They might give her an old diary that makes her see dead people!" Ginny retorted.

"Well, that's a new one," he replied, fully amused now.

“You’re impossible!” she said, shaking her head.

“As are you,” he replied, kissing her forehead and leaving her alone with her daughter. “And remember! seven PM sharp!”

“You said six!” Virginia yelled out to him.

He turned around and smiled, “Previous engagement that I just realized.” With that, he turned a corner and disappeared.

“Come on Mummy,” Juliet tugged at Virginia’s sleeve, “We got to get home and get ready for Father.”

Virginia continued to shake her head as her daughter led her down the streets and to their apartment.



* * *

“What have I gotten myself into?” Virginia said to herself, brown eyes staring at her reflection in the mirror. She sat before her vanity table, pondering how she was going to pull this off. “Natural, just look natural,” she murmured, long fingers rummaging blindly for her foundation.

“Is this it Mommy?” Juliet asked sweetly while holding up the muggle makeup product.

“Yes it is, thanks,” Virginia replied, taking hold of the tube and pulling off the cover.

“Are you gonna draw lines on your face now?” Juliet had always watched her mother apply makeup, and today was no different.

Virginia just grinned as she ‘drew lines’ all over her face with the skin toned makeup, and then spread it evenly with a foamy like sponge. “Wait, why am I doing this now?” she thought out loud as she stared at the clock hanging against the wall. She still had over 5 hours to get ready.

“Why not finish the story then,” Juliet suggested.

“What story?” Virginia asked, confused.

Juliet pouted, “You left off when you were fighting with Uncle Ron. You still have to tell me how your first band practice was like. Oh, and the first performance as a band too!”

“I get the idea now,” laughed Virginia. “Last story though, and I’ll only tell you the basic stuff. No need to tell you all the tiny little details about my life as a young girl.”

Juliet nodded as she ran to the bed and began to bounce on it, waiting expectantly for her mother to begin.

“And here I was, hoping you’d forget about all of this," Virginia grinned as she ruffled her daughter's blond hair.

Juliet smirked, copying her own father’s face perfectly, “You would’ve told me sometime, and it’s better to tell me now.”

“Oh god, she’s quoting him now,” she moaned as her hand covered her closed eyes. Juliet held back her giggles as she watched her mother‘s antics.

“But yes, that one morning after the fight with my brother…”





* ~ * ~ * ~ *

(Past)



“Ginny,” she heard a voice say as a warm hand shook her shoulder. “Come on Ginny, get up!” the voice insisted, the shaking becoming stronger.

“Let me sleep,” Ginny moaned into her pillow as she pulled her warm blankets over her head.

“Aw come on Ginny! Your brother wants to talk to you,” the voice whined.

“Leave me alone.”

“Not until you get up and talk to your brother,” the voice ordered.

Ginny lazily rolled out of bed and landed on the ground.

“Smooth Ginny, just be more careful as you make your way down to the common room.”

Ginny blearily opened her eyes and attempted to glare at the voice. “Yeah yeah, whatever.” She stumbled upon on of her pillows that was lying on the ground, which only brought more laughter to the other girl. Ginny blocked off the noise by covering her ears with her hands, then walked steadily towards the bathroom.

Awhile later, she emerged from her dorm room with her school robes barely covering her new and seemingly expensive outfit.

“Who woke me up?” Ginny asked as she found her room mates in the crowded common room.

Patricia raised her hand and gave her a warm smile, “Good morning to you too Ginny. Glad you didn’t trip down the stairs or something. I never took you as the clumsy type. Longbottom yes, but you?”

Ginny rolled her eyes at her childish teasing. “I’m not clumsy. I was just half asleep.”

“Ginny!” a voice yelled from across the room. Hermione was waving at her, signaling her to move towards the threesome.

Patricia moved closer towards Ginny and whispered, “Your brother was worried sick about you Ginny. Now he just seems pissed. Oh well, good luck mate!” Patricia patted Ginny on the back, then pushed her towards the threesome’s direction.

Ginny shoved past her house mates until she finally reached her brother and his friends. Ron was giving her evil glances, while both Hermione and Harry tried to act as if nothing had ever happened last night. She shrugged at the sight of Ron and sat stiffly on one of the plush chairs. “What seems to be the problem?”

Hermione and Harry both looked at each other, than at her. Soon their glances trailed off to Ron, then back at her. Ginny tried her best not to rip her hair out of her head and scream in frustration.

“Ron wants to know what you were doing with that group with Malfoy,” Harry stated.

“Oh, and why should Ron care anyway?” Ginny asked, staring at the three of them.

“Because he’s your brother and he’s trying to look out for you, that’s all,” Hermione responded, and patted Ron lightly on the shoulder as if to prove her point.

“Say something,” Ginny heard Harry whisper to Ron.

“Are they all in Slytherin? Is one of them your boyfriend?” were the only sentences Ron said. He would not even looking at her! Instead, his eyes lingered at the exit.

“One of them is,” she teased them. Why should they be so over protective when it came to her social life? “Must eat breakfast now before I’m late to class.” She quickly jumped out of her seat and nearly ran out of the room.

As soon as she reached the main entrance hall, however, a tall figure blocked her path. “Took you long enough.”

She stared at the school patch, letting her know the person was in Hufflepuff. “Long enough for what?” Looking up, she noticed it was only Johnny.

“We’re already late,” he responded, ignoring her question. “Come on, I'm guessing we're all gonna skip our first class.”

“Huh?” She still didn’t get an answer as Johnny led her farther from the food. Her stomach growled.

He led her up several flights of stairs until they finally reached the familiar hallway. The smell of delicious food wafted into her nose, and the sound of music reached her ears as well. She sped up her steps until she was in sight with the rest of the band.

“I guess Draco didn’t tell you that we all have breakfast while we rehearse a bit. Real band practice is after dinner though. You have lunch to eat with friends and all,” Johnny informed her.

Ginny wrinkled up her nose, “But won’t we get in trouble for not eating in the Great Hall?”

Sammy walked up to them and hugged both Ginny and Johnny. “Hey you two, you’re both late.”

Johnny shrugged, “Had to show Ginny the way, even though she's been here already.”

Sammy nodded, “Alright then. Let’s just eat and we’ll start practicing.”

Ginny bit her lower lip, “I don’t know any of the music.”

Sammy stared at her, and then laughed. “Of course you don’t, we never showed them to you yet.” She winked, then walked over to Adrian who sat before the drum set.

“You’re late.”

Ginny turned around. “Oh, hey, Malfoy,” she replied nonchalantly. Her stomached growled once again, to her annoyance. She moved closer to the table filled with food and grabbed a chocolate muffin.

“Ginny, did you try on your dress for the ball yet?” Tory asked from across the room.

She shook her head in response, “No, I went to sleep as soon as I reached my room.”

Tory nodded and then focused back to her music.

“Here,” Draco said to her, handing her sheets of paper. "These are the songs we’re going to be singing at the Masquerade."

She stared at the songs, fully surprised when she noticed who wrote them. “I shouldn’t be singing this,” she said, handing back the sheets of music, “You should. I’ll feel guilty, seeing as you wrote it and all.”

Draco frowned, “You’re the lead singer Virginia. I have too many responsibilities in this band as it is. You have Tory, and Sammy, and even me to back you up.”

Ginny shook her head, “You should at least sing one of your songs by yourself, Draco.”

“Or we could always do a duet,” he smirked, as he placed the papers back in her hands. “Go over the lines and make sure you know most of the words. Tory can play you the tune on her keyboard.” Tory nodded at them as she finished off her breakfast.

Draco nodded back, then settled near the table and filled his plate with all sorts of food.

Ginny ate the remaining pieces of her muffin. She plopped herself besides the keyboard, sitting on the dingy stone flooring. She briefly studied each of the lyrics.

“Are you ready?” Tory asked. Her fingers were already placed gently at the keys.

Ginny nodded. “This song first?” She lifted one of the music sheets towards Tory’s face.

“Sure,” Tory replied, and rearranged the music on it’s stand.

The song was a slow love song, albeit sad however. Ginny smiled softly. Hard to image Draco Malfoy wrote something so lovely.

Tory glanced quickly at her music. “Start singing,” she said, tapping her foot to the slow beat.

“I was waiting by myself, waiting for you love,” Ginny began somewhat reluctantly. “Waiting for you to hold me, to touch me.” Her cheeks turned a tinge of pink as she continued to listen to the song and sing out the words, “To feel your lips upon mine love. To hear your sweet voice.” Ginny stared at Draco from across the room, where he leaned again a narrow window, smiling gently back at her. His head moved with the lulling music, as did everyone else in the room.

“Yet you never showed, and the coldness I never known. It filled my heart with dread, because Luv, it meant you must be dead.” It shocked her, the words. It spoke of love, and then death?

The chords of the guitar quickened the pace as she reached the chorus part. She gave a quick fleeting look at Sammy, who only winked at her. Sammy held a bright purple guitar in her hands, and it was she who played alongside the keyboard and her singing.

The others joined in on their instruments. Adrian, who was already settled in front of his drums, began to play with the beat. Johnny began to play another tune on his bass, its deep tones giving her shivers.

“Take away the pain inside. Let me have revenge on those who planned your demise. It’s killing me inside. Wake me up, let me hide. Oh it’s killing me…”

“Killing me…” Tory sang alongside her, as well as Sammy.

“Oh it’s killing me, just give me a chance, let me take life, of the one you call your enemy. Let me show them how I feel inside.” Ginny frowned. This was like some twisted story, except in music format. Very interesting.

“Yet I was never dead,” Draco sang the next verse. Ginny stared at the music, shocked. This was one of the duet pieces. Draco had planned to sing with her all along.

“And you brought turmoil with your every step. Your soul I could not save, my love you had craved. Like a menace in disguise, I tried to stop you, yet you seemed blind. Your eyes, so full of hate, so uncaring, I had to do it, for your sake,” he continued.

The next was the chorus again. “Take away the pain inside. Let me have revenge on those who planned your demise. It’s killing me inside. Wake me up, let me hide. Oh it’s killing me, oh it’s killing me.”

“What exactly seems to be going on here?” A cold voice asked. Everyone stopped what they were doing. A professor stepped into the light, and the band members soon saw the stern face of Professor McGonagall. “I don’t think I was informed of this… band performance. You all know you’ve missed ten minutes of your first class?”

Everyone looked at her guiltily.

Professor McGonagall sighed, “20 points from…” she scrutinized each student and shook her head. “All of you are from different Houses. Although I encourage Inter-House relations, I cannot accept your tardiness for all of your classes. 10 points from Gryffindor, 10 points from Slytherin, 20 points from Hufflepuff, and 20 points from Ravenclaw.”

Moans and groans were her only response. Professor McGonagall looked expectantly towards Draco Malfoy. He was known to talk back to professors. Yet, this time, he did not. Instead, he packed up his guitar and other equipment. Everyone else did the same, except for Ginny, who just stood in front of the microphone.

“See to it that you don’t forget about your studies. It’s the only way you’ll succeed in life,” McGonagall admonished her students.

As she turned to leave, but made a last remark, “That was a great song you all were playing. Good job. Five points each for developing your creative side.” With that said, she strode out of the secluded hall and down the stairs, making her way back to her empty classroom.

“That was a close one. We need to monitor our time more carefully next time,” said Adrian.

“Yeah, I think we all figured that out,” replied Tory, who pushed the keyboard off to the side wall and placed a plastic covering over it. Within minutes, the room was somewhat organized.

“Alright now,” Draco said calmly, “We’ll all meet up her before dinner and practice again before midnight.”

“We’ll get in trouble again if we stay up that late!” Ginny said.


Draco shrugged, “Don’t worry about it Virginia. At least we won’t be missing any more class time.”

Everyone waved at each other and departed for their next class. Draco walked along side her as they both headed to the first floor. Ginny tried not to blush as Draco’s hand brushed lightly against her hip. She took a deep breath, and clasped his large hand into her own smaller hand. Draco stared at her questioningly, but did not remark. He did not pull away either; only moved closer towards her until they were barely a centimeter apart.

She tightened her hold on Draco's hand as they reached their departing point. She had to go left and he, right.

"I'll see you later Virginia," Draco said, kissing her forehead gently. "Don't be late for practice. I want to finish that song we were just playing. I'm thinking it could be a big hit."

Ginny nodded, "It really was beautiful. Maybe I can think up of some songs too perhaps.

"Possibly," was his reply, as he turned around and entered his first class.





* ~ * ~ * ~ *

(Present)



The doorbell rang suddenly, startling both Virginia and Juliet. Virginia glanced up at the clock once again and glared. "It's only six! That liar." She got off the bed and sat down before her vanity.

"Mommy! It's Father! Hurry! Hurry!"

Virginia tried her best not to just run into her closet and hide. "I'll act like an adult," she said, as she pulled out a sleek black dress.

"You ARE an adult, Mommy," Juliet giggled, watching her mother prepare for her 'date' with Father.

"Yes I am dear. Be a good girl and get the door. Make sure it's your father and not someone you don't know. Alright?"

Juliet nodded and then scampered out of the room. Virginia could hear Juliet's small steps walking through the hall , then a loud squeaking noise as she opened the door for the visitor to enter. Soon followed childish chattering, followed by a deep laugh. The footsteps of both Draco and Juliet became louder as they moved closer to the master bedroom.

Virginia jumped up from her seat and ran to the ajar door. Before anyone could enter the room, she slammed the door fully shut and turned the lock. A hand on the other side fidgeted with the brass knob, then knocked.

"Weasley," his smooth voice called out to her, resorting to her last name. "Make sure you wear something lavish. I wouldn't want you to feel out of place like all the other times."

She snorted in response. Only Draco Malfoy would eat at all the posh places and never set foot on the less... fancy dining restaurants.

She made her way to her closet and stared. It was packed full of cloths, just like any other closet. Hers just appeared to have more, due to a simple charm to expand the closet, so it could hold twice the amount of clothing. Almost all of her wardrobe consisted of casual wear. Being a mother who 'didn't get out much' as her brother said once, she hardly ever had the need to wear something classy. There were exceptions of course, such as weddings and the like.

Shifting through the hanging cloths, she finally picked out a dark red top and a flowing black skirt. Over that, she decided on one of her expensive black silk robes. It was a nice attire, yet not too overdone. She wasn't one to show off, like Draco Malfoy.

Virginia hurriedly changed into the outfit and raced out the door. The apartment was relatively quiet, except for the barely audible music playing inside Juliet's room. She moved closer and peered inside. Juliet was cuddled in Draco's strong arms as they sat on the floor, listening to old music. Her music. Draco's music. The band's music. It was the music in which she felt deeply about, and it brought about the one point in her life where she actually achieved something out of the ordinary. No longer had she been Ginny Weasley, little sister to Harry Potter's best friend. She had been a singer, an idol, an icon. All those things she was, and all the fame she had experienced... But all that was over now.

No regrets, that was her motto. Yet, sometimes, when the day was moving along slowly, she had nothing else to do but ponder the past, and what could have been in the future.

Draco looked up and smiled gently at her. His sun-kissed blond hair and those stormy grey eyes of his, had looked the same since she last saw him. It was good that he was back; he always seemed to comfort her, yet rile her up half the time. Now that he was here, maybe they could work things out and be a family, just like they planned it all those years ago...

"Daddy says you have a lovely voice, and I agree," Juliet said, tapping her fingers to the fast beat. Already she seemed so close to her father.

"I haven't sang in years. I'd probably just be awful at it now." Virginia shook her head.

Draco was about to object, if it were not for her withering look. He coughed in response and stared out the window.

"Hmm," Virginia said, "We all seem to be ready."

Draco nodded his head in agreement, "We'll just drop Juliet off at Malfoy Manor, then we'll have that long overdue talk."

“Manor?” Juliet’s interest was piqued. “You live in a manor?” She looked up at Draco and awaited an answer.

“Your grandparents live at Malfoy Manor, I just live in a regular apartment building like you do,” he replied.

“Penthouse,” Virginia faked a cough.

Juliet frowned. “What’s a penthouse?”

“You know what,” Virginia said cheerfully, “Why don’t we all just go, like now.” She gave Juliet a look when she began to pout. “Everybody out of this house in ten seconds before I go insane!” She pointed at the door dramatically and waited till both Draco and Juliet left the room. She grinned and exited the room, and found the two of them in the hallway.

“It’s past ten seconds,” Juliet stated dully. Draco smirked as he nodded his head.

“Is that why we’re all standing out in the hall?” Virginia questioned as she pulled out Juliet’s and her coat. “You’re waiting for me to go mad?”

“Uh huh,” was Juliet’s response.

Draco cleared his coat, gaining their attention. “Let’s just use floo. It’ll be quicker that way. Are you connected to the Floo Network?”

“Yes, of course I am. Just because I’m living in a Muggle apartment, doesn’t mean I live like one.”

“Of course Virginia.”

They gathered around the fireplace and quickly disappeared within the eerie green fire.
Leave a Review