Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter; they belong to J.K.Rowling.


Chapter One


Community Service Hours


Ginny Weasley walked into the front room of the Burrow. She was tired. She had just spent the whole afternoon working at her brothers joke shop.

It was the summer holiday before her sixth year. She had grown quite a lot during the past month. Ginny Weasley was no longer short like her mother. No, she was tall just like her brother Ron. However, she still looked a lot like Fred and George. Her temper was still there, and her taste for food was still there, of course. Unlike her mother however she had lost the weight during her growth spurt. It was surprising really.

Sitting down on a couch that wasn’t covered by something, she picked up a magazine. She flipped mindlessly through the books wondering what it would be like if she was a model. Slowly she fell into a doze.

About an hour latter she was awoken by angry voices coming from the kitchen. Getting up off the pink couch that she had been sitting on, she stretched and slowly made her way to the kitchen.

“I can’t believe that he is doing this!” Ron Weasley was complaining to an annoyed Hermione. “I mean, he can’t possibly think that we can finish seventy hours.” He trailed off as Ginny entered the room.

“Why are you yelling?” Ginny asked.

“Do you know what Dumbledore has done?!” Ron asked jumping up.

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Relax Ron. It’s actually quite easy, and besides you have a lot of choices to choose from,” she said before looking down at a letter she was holding.

“Can someone please tell me what is going on?” Ginny asked, clearly annoyed.

Ron shoved a letter across the table. Picking up the letter, she turned it over to find that it was her Hogwarts letter. Opening the envelope she pulled out the letter. Before looking down at the letter to read it, she glanced at Ron, who looked royally pissed off.

‘Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry’ It said it bright green ink.

Miss Ginevra Molly Weasley,

We are pleased to say that this year (1998), Hogwarts will be starting a program called ‘Community Service Hours’. Every student must complete seventy hours of community service in order to graduate. Even though you are in your sixth year, you still need to complete all seventy hours. Attached is a listing of what you may do for your community hours.

Also attached is this year’s book list, and we are pleased to say that we have two new subjects. One you must take, and will be added into your school timetable, the other is an optional. The two extra courses are Family Studies, and Music. Family Studies is the must take course. However, Music is an optional.

You will also need two extra dress robes, as we are having two dances. If you would like to wear the same dress then you may do so. The extra clothes and supplies are listed on a separate parchment.

Reminders are as always, to catch The Hogwarts Express at Platform 9 ¾ on September 1st, at 11 am.

Sincerely, Minerva McGonagall’


Ginny stopped reading, and looked up at Ron, who was still glaring. Next she pulled out the three extra pieces of parchment.

Opening the book list she read it quickly. She didn’t need many new books. Most of the books she could get off of Ron. However, there were two books that she needed for Family Studies and two other new books. Folding the parchment, she put it back in the envelope.

Next she opened the clothing and supplies list. Scanning it quickly told her that she needed two sets of dress robes, and a different type of cauldron. She would also need more ingredients for her potions kit. Folding the parchment with a sigh, she put it back into the envelope.

Finally her hand reached out to grab the last parchment. She opened it quickly and was about to start reading, when Ron yelled out.

“Are you ever going to get to the parchment? I mean seriously how long does it take to read four bloody pieces of paper?” Ron yelled.

“Ronald Weasley, you better stop yelling at me, or I will never finish the letters!” Ginny shouted back at her brother.

Ron shut up, and sat down irritated.

Looking down at the parchment she read.

‘Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry’

We are pleased to inform you that this year (1998), we are starting a community service hour program. This will help students get to know how it feels to work with other people, and acquire management skills. Seventh and Sixth years will be aloud to leave the Hogwarts grounds to visit Hogsmeade every weekend so they can put in more community hours. Also, hours can be completed in school. The list below tells you what you can do in and out of school.

Outside of School:

Work in Honeydukes Sweetshop as a cashier
Work at The Three Broomsticks as a waitress
Work at Dervish and Banges as a cashier
Work at Gladrags Wizardwear as a cashier or customer helper and,
Work at Zonko’s Joke Shop

Inside of School:

Helping out teachers
Help clean up the Great Hall after meals
Quidditch practice (can only receive 10 hours in total)
Tutoring students
Being a Prefect (can only receive 10 hours a year)
Being Head Boy/Head Girl (can only receive 20 hours)
School Band *

*In order to be in the school band you must take the music course.


Ginny finished reading and put the parchment aside.

“Well?” Ron asked.

“Well what? Personally I think it’s a great idea,” Ginny said standing up.

“How?” Ron whined.

“I just do. Why are you so annoying lately?” Ginny asked her brother as Hermione tried to cover a laugh.

Ron glared at both Ginny and Hermione before storming off.

“He misses Harry. He won’t be here for another two days. God forbid he actually be patient,” Hermione said also standing up.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Would you like something to drink?”

“Sure. What do you have?” Hermione asked walking over to a cupboard to get two glasses.

Ginny opened the fridge and peered inside. “We have pumpkin juice, orange juice, cause mum knows I don’t really fancy pumpkin juice, and we have Butterbeer.”

“I’d like a Butterbeer, please,” Hermione said.

Ginny handed Hermione two Butterbeers. Hermione opened them and filled the two clear glasses with the cool drinks. Then she handed Ginny hers and took a healthy swing from her own.

“I needed that,” Hermione said smiling as Ginny giggled.

The two of them sat down at the kitchen table talking about what courses they would like to do in order to get their extra community service hours.

Hermione of course would be receiving twenty hours for being Head Girl. She hadn’t received her badge yet, but she had been told in her letter. She was very happy. Though, the two of them did wonder who the Head Boy was going to be. Hermione had her money on Harry, and Ginny had her money on Draco Malfoy.

At the mention of Draco, the two of them burst out laughing at the thought of how Draco’s face would look when he read that he had to work for other people in order to graduate.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



AUTHOR'S NOTES

Many thanks to my beta reader Jen!
Also, a huge thank you to all my readers!
Please review!

~Natasha
Leave a Review