Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

Author's Note: Ha, well here we have Chapter Two! I’m not entirely satisfied with it, but decided to post it anyway. If you find any glaring errors, please let me know! This chapter goes in a bit of a different direction than the last one – honestly, I can’t predict how this story is going to happen! This chapter ended up in a completely different direction to what I intended! Hope no one is disappointed by this second instalment… oh, and I’m getting the feeling that this is going to be a LOT longer than the original one-shot idea. Like a fair few more chapters to come! Argh, I’ve created a monster! Oh well, it’s good fun – right?

Oh, and have I mentioned how much I love you wonderful people who review? Thank you so much - and sorry its taken forever to update.

Anyways, on with the story! Enjoy!

o-o-o
She walked into the café they had become regular patrons of, blinking as the sun shone into eyes still sore from the crying jag she had succumbed to the night before when his proposition had completely sunk in. It wasn’t anything big, she kept telling herself, just a convenient arrangement between friends that would benefit them both.

But it still made her chest hurt and her eyes ache. And so she had given into the urge to let it out, hoping that she would get it over with once and for all so she could meet Draco calmly when they got together to plan the wedding.

The wedding. Just thinking about it brought another slice across her heart, so she pushed the thought aside and focussed on the tall blonde man standing to greet her as she moved over to their usual table. Forcing a smile, she managed to stumble over pleasantries and gave her usual order to the overly cheerful waitress. Turning back to Draco, she felt the familiar catch in her breath that came just from being near him.

Blinking, trying to shake the errant thoughts blurring her vision, she focussed on what he was saying – wedding arrangements? Right. That was what they were here for, after all.

She listened, contributing little, as he outlined all the arrangements that would have to be made. She had never realised how much there was to planning a wedding. But she would have to do it, because that’s what happily in love brides did. They obsessed over flowers and dresses and hen’s nights and… and she thought she was going to be sick.

Her head went down on the table as she took deep breaths, trying to rid the shaking that had suddenly come upon her. Vaguely, she realised that Draco had risen from his chair and was currently crouched beside her, rubbing her back gently. Deep breaths… she lifted her head and turned to look at him. He was so close, only inches away – her breath hitched again. Concentrating with the ease that came from long practice of hiding her feelings from him, she answered his question that yes, she was fine – it was just a lot to take in at once.

Looking worriedly at her pale face, he agreed and asked once more if she was sure she was all right. He was still rubbing her back, soothing her. Taking a sip of her water, she straightened up fully and reassured him, waving him back to his seat so they could continue. Brushing off his suggestions that maybe they should take it slowly, she plunged back into the planning of not only the wedding, but also how they were going to convince everyone that they were in love. The sooner they got this over with, the sooner she could go home and try to come to grips with the sudden curve her life had taken.

So, they planned. Digging into scrambled eggs, steak and sausages they discussed timing, and agreed that the ceremony should take place approximately two months from now, in autumn. They didn’t settle on an exact date, deciding to leave that until travel and venues could be arranged. It was short notice to plan a wedding, he told her as she sat stunned by the realness of it all, but it was really more practical to get it done with as soon as possible. She nodded dumbly, and signalled the waitress for a hot drink.

Sipping coffee (him) and tea (her), they tossed different venues back and forth. With downcast eyes, she hesitantly asked if it could be conducted outside a church because… well, churches were for real marriages and theirs was just business. Sounding oddly subdued, he acquiesced and suggested the beautiful gardens of Zabini manor, whose family had fought alongside them in the war and would almost certainly be receptive to the idea. The manor had the added attraction of being heavily warded, which was certainly necessary for such a highly publicised event as this. And widely broadcast it must be – after all, there was no point to the marriage (at least for him) if the media didn’t know about it.

With the venue settled, they moved onto the next preparation – the engagement party, which they eventually decided should be next week. The sooner the better, after all. And, as much as she balked at the idea, there must be one – not only would it help to advertise the wedding, it would be the perfect opportunity to convince everyone that they really were in love. She hadn’t told her family yet, but promised that she would soon – as daunting as the task may be, they would have to know, especially if the engagement party was so soon.

Lastly, just as they were readying to leave, he broached the rather sensitive matter of money and payment. Well, it was sensitive to her but he treated it with true Malfoy style: casually commenting that he would of course pay for everything, using that tone that suggested he would brook no resistance. She cut through that angrily, protesting that it was her wedding as well and she would pay an equal share. He retaliated by saying that he was the one with millions of Galleons sitting in the bank while she was barely scraping through – having resisted, he added reprovingly, all attempts from him to help her out. She rose sharply, pressing her hands onto the table and leaning forward to inform him cuttingly that this was a business arrangement and she would goddamn pay her share.

He stood, angry now, staring down with those eyes that could turn so cold, so quickly. Yes, it was a business arrangement, he said icily, but it was also meant to be practical. As such, he would provide payment. Subdued somewhat by his quiet vehemence, she made one last stand and demanded that she be allowed to pay for everything directly connected with her – dress, shoes, flowers, etc. Looking down into her face, which was flushed with anger, he seemed to cool down somewhat and agreed to her request.

Feeling somewhat stupid in the face of his sudden calm, she glanced around to see that they had become the centre of attention in the small eatery. Blushing, she dug around for money and slapped some notes down on the table, silencing Draco’s protest by grabbing his arm and dragging him out into the street.

They walked down the busy sidewalk, their silence morphing from frigid to uncomfortable, and finally to companionable. They strolled past shops, and fountains, occasionally slowing to look in a window or toss some money into the open case of a busker. Eventually, they reached a park and sat on a wooden bench under an old oak that must have been growing there for centuries. She was the first to break the silence, murmuring his name.

“Yeah?” he turned to look at her squarely, raising one eyebrow in elegant enquiry.

She raised worried eyes to his, posing the question that had been haunting her thoughts ever since he had suggested this crazy idea. “How the hell are we going to do this?”

“Do what?” He danced around her question, not knowing exactly what to say.

Sighing, she spelled out what she meant, even though she knew perfectly well that he knew. “How are we going to convince everyone that we’re in love?” He stood and turned away, frowning slightly.

She plunged on, “I mean, you’re not in love with me! That kind of thing shows, you know. And in addition, we are the most unlikely match I can think of! You’re…” How could she put this in words without giving herself away? “You’re famous, and wealthy and gorgeous to go with it! While I- I’m a plump, plain little healer who no one has ever heard of! I’m nowhere near any of those beauties you-” He whirled, grabbing her arm and pulling her up roughly. Startled, she looked up at him – he looked furious.

“Firstly,” he began in a deadly quiet voice, “I don’t ever want to hear you describing yourself that way again. You are so much more than that. You’re beautiful-” Shaking her head, she opened her mouth to protest but he shook her, surprising her into silence. “You are. Maybe not in the conventional stick-thin, sultry-eyed way, but what you have inside you… it’s unmatched by any superficial beauty I’ve ever met. Secondly, you had better stop comparing yourself to the people I sleep with as of right now.”

Breaking free, she turned away so he wouldn’t see the tears brimming in her eyes. “I- I know I can’t match up to them – like I said, I’m just-“ strong arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her back against him. Dropping his head onto her shoulder, he sighed, the hot gust of breath causing her skin to tingle.

“Don’t.” He sounded quieter now, sadder. “You’ve got it all twisted. You are more, so much more, than anyone I have ever been with. There’s more to a person than what they look like, or how good they are in bed. Sometimes, people have something in them – something so intense, just being around them makes you want to be a better person. Harry had it, and it shone out for everyone to see and he used it to save the world.”

“Not much at all, that,” she muttered on a half-sob, half-laugh.

Amused, he smiled against her neck. “No, not at all. But, Gin, you have it too. You don’t use it for anything so dramatic as fighting – in fact, most people don’t even notice it in you. You fade into the shadows, unnoticed and unrecognised – but to those that you touch, you pass on something precious.”

She was shaking her head, trying to protest again – she wasn’t like that! He had some sort of idealised picture of her, something that she wasn’t! She wasn’t beautiful, or special, or anything really. But he stopped her again, spinning her so he could look her in the eye.

“Why do you think you are such a good healer, even though you’re still a Junior? Why do you think they keep asking you to take more shifts? Because you have an understanding, an empathy with your patients – you genuinely care about them, even if you see them for only 5 minutes. You dispense love like a rich man gives coins – generously and unconditionally, never asking for recognition. And that, Gin, whether you realise it or not, is something that makes you exquisite.”

Finishing his tirade, he leant down and rested his forehead on hers. She stood still, stunned by what he had said. Is that how she appeared to him? Did she really have that effect on others? If so… then maybe she was doing something worthwhile with her life after all. Smiling slightly, she took his arm and they continued walking through the park.

While strolling through a shadowy part of the gardens, she mentioned that they still hadn’t solved the problem of how to convince people that they were in love – when he obviously wasn’t. His brow furrowed in thought, before he pointed out that she wasn’t in love either so she would have the same problem. Nodding, her eyes averted so he wouldn’t read the truth in them, she asked if he had any ideas about what they could do. Of course, he didn’t know that whatever they did would be more than an act to her – it would be real. She wouldn’t have any trouble at all pretending to be in love with him – the trick would be keeping him from realising that the feeling was real.

After walking for a few more minutes, he turned to her and stated that he thought they were both reasonably good actors, and should be able to convince most people with handholding and loving gazes. But for the doubters, he continued, the most effective way to convince them would be to simply kiss.

She stumbled to a halt. Kiss? Right, kiss. Of course. Why hadn’t she thought of that? Well, probably because she tended to avoid thinking of things like that which could never happen, to avoid the bands around her heart from tightening any further. However, it seemed that this, at least, was going to come true. Of course, it would be hardly more than a peck – platonic friends didn’t go around indulging in hot, steamy kisses. But still… Draco kissing her… her kissing him back… oh God, how was she going to survive this? Getting through the kiss without him realising her feelings would be hard enough – but how was she going to look him in the eye afterwards without giving herself away?

Blinking up at him, she realised that he had been speaking to her, and was now looking at her with one eyebrow raised in question.

“What?” she asked weakly.

He smirked, before repeating that he thought it was better to practice before the engagement party, when so many people would be watching their every move. Panicking just a little more, she nodded her agreement. Yes, practicing would be smart. When did he think they should do it? His smirk intensified.

“How about now?”

She froze.

He looked at her strangely, and continued, “I know you don’t really want to, with us being just friends and all, but I really think it would be wise thing to do. After all, we do want it to be convincing.”

She nodded dumbly. He thought she didn’t want to? How oblivious could one man be? When he kissed her, she’d - oh God… did he say now? Right now?

“Sure.” Her mouth formed the agreement, but she was still dazed by the suddenness of it all.

His smirk faded a little, and he moved closer, backing her up under a tree. He reached out and clasped his hands loosely around her waist, bringing her up against him lightly. The brush of his chest against her breasts sent shockwaves through her, and she shivered.

“Cold?” His voice rumbled along her nerves, tightening them even more.

“No.”

He leant down, his silver-blonde hair falling free to brush her upturned face. Hot breath feathered along her skin, and her eyes closed involuntarily while she savoured the delicious feelings shivering through her. Firm, hot lips brushed hers – once, and once again before settling. Shocks sparked along her veins and the roaring in her ears intensified. His lips moved gently, and her hand slid up to tangle in his hair, gripping the soft strands tightly. His head canted to a different angle, and his tongue swept along the seam of her lips.

And with that, the kiss changed into something much, much more. His hands tightened around her waist, pulling her more firmly against him. One slid up into her hair, gripping to tilt her head to a better angle. Never before… never had she felt like this. Never had she thought it was possible. Her mouth opened under his insistent one, and she felt herself being moved backwards until the rough bark of the tree was at her back. His tongue swept inside her mouth and, of its own accord, hers came forth to tangle with it. He growled into her mouth, a rough, primal sound, and renewed his assault – lifting her up against him, he rocked his hips into hers, causing a mewling sound to escape her mouth. Her head fell back against the tree, and his hot mouth trailed down her neck to linger at her pulse, creating a new set of shock waves to whip through her veins. She tugged at his hair, impatient for his mouth, and he dragged his lips back up the delicate line of her throat before crashing back down on hers with renewed fervour. One leg skimmed up his hip, and he grabbed it, pulling her in - she writhed against him, trying to get closer, trying to grab more of this madness that had overtaken them both.

A dog barked in the distance, jolting them.

He tore his mouth away, breathing heavily. Resting his forehead on hers, he swore quietly. Her vision still blurry, she felt him untangle himself from her and step away, shakily.

“That was… a mistake.” He raked a hand through his hair, agitated.

A mistake? Yes, of course it was. God, how could she have been so stupid? Now he would know exactly how she felt, and would be put in the position of letting her down gently. After all, it’s not like he felt the same way – he probably hadn’t even enjoyed the kiss! He was just practicing, after all, and she- she had wrapped herself around him like a starving animal presented with food. She had to say something – anything to stop him from telling her that he didn’t feel the same way. Maybe it was true, but she couldn’t handle hearing it right now.

“Yes… yes, it was. I’m sorry.” The words she choked out were strained.

“You’re…? No, no, it’s my fault. I let it get out of hand.” He turned to look at her, his face strained. “Maybe… maybe we should forget it, and just leave practicing until when we actually have to do it.”

“Yes, yes – good idea.” Her throat hurt, and the words were raspy. Forget about it. A mistake. Right. Her world spun around her, dizzying. She had to get out of there.

Stumbling over excuses, she turned to leave – and this time, he made no attempt to stop her. She only made it a few steps before the first tear fell, tracking its way down her cheek. Digging for her wand, she lurched into a run, rounded the corner – and apparated to her flat, where she collapsed on her couch, body heaving with the force of her sobs.

He stood in the park, staring after her with a stunned look in his eyes.

o-o-o

Well, that’s it! Let me know what you think *smiles in encouragement of niceness*
Cheers! J
Leave a Review