Draco and Ginny…say what?

This is the reaction of everyone that finds out that I support the D/G ‘ship. It also would have be the same reaction that I probably would have, hadn’t a D/G fanfic been recommended to me by a friend. So, I will try to answer this question for all those people in the form of an essay…not a very good essay, but an essay nonetheless.



“But Draco’s like evil! And Ginny’s a good little girl, how can they get together?”

Well, most people I know envision the end of the Harry Potter books to have Harry victorious over Voldemort, he realises after 7 years that he does in fact love Ginny (anyone sense my sarcasm?), Ron and Hermione would end up together and Draco (who became a Death Eater) died or would spend the rest of his life in Azkaban…well, he does deserve it for being such a prat to Harry, right? Well, I’m biased, so I can’t really answer that. BUT I don’t think Draco’s evil, so I don’t care much about the argument that evil!Draco can’t be with innocent!Ginny. Well, in my view, Draco isn’t evil and Ginny isn’t innocent.

It’s been a while since I believed that people all fit into the ‘black and white’ mould; so most people aren’t purely good or evil. There are some that are in fact like that, such as Voldemort. But come on, can you imagine Voldemort with layers? But we’ve seen Voldemort doing things that show us that he is evil, but the same cannot be said with Draco. That’s why I refuse to believe that JK Rowling created Draco to be such a two-dimensional character, especially as she can make his character so complex. I find myself screaming at everyone “he has layers, dammit”. True, a lot of his behaviour contradicts this, but nothing that makes him seem evil. Most of the things, which he’d done, wouldn’t make us run around whilst screaming “EVIL!”. It would just make us shake our heads, or among the more wicked of us, grin while saying “hell yeah”.

Okay, so Draco did talk about becoming a Death Eater, but look at who his father is! Most fanfictions show Lucius Malfoy to be a person who Draco is scared shitless of, or be someone that Draco idolises (still scared of him, but not to the same extent). If Draco idolises his father, of course he would want to look perfect in his fathers eyes, and what better way to do that then become a Death Eater? And if he’s scared of Lucius, he wouldn’t want to anger Lucius, and by becoming a Death Eater, how could he anger his father?
So, any talk of becoming a Death Eater is probably down to the influence of his father. Well, that’s what I think anyway…

Next we have innocent!Ginny *rolls eyes*. All right, first of all not many people are entirely innocent, apart from being kinda boring; it’s also quite hard to be like that. So like Draco, Ginny is in the grey area…a lighter grey than Draco, but it’s still grey! Do we actually believe that everything that Ginny does is good and pure? We don’t know much about Ginny’s character as she’s not a main character but she is a teenage girl. Not that she’s a bad girl or anything, but she’s not so pure that she can’t fall for Draco (who is a bad boy ~_^). I mean all girls like a bit of a bad boy!



“Draco and Ginny...like, hell no! Harry/Ginny is where it’s at!” Sometimes there’s a ‘bitch’ at the end of that remark…

Why is it thought that the Ginny/Harry ‘ship should happen? Is it because of the crush that Ginny has had on Harry, and so they feel that said crush should be reciprocated? Or is it that Harry is Ron’s best friend, Ginny is Ron’s little sister and so they can all become one big, happy family…*gag*. There might be other reasons, but these are the only I can think of as my mind is quite limited on anything to do with that pairing. Anywho, so I’ll talk about those two arguments.

We know that Ginny had a crush on Harry, but that’s all it was. Could it be called love, I doubt it. Fact is if she fell for anything, it was the legend of Harry Potter. He was the Boy Who Lived, the one that defeated the Dark Lord, and so on. He’s a hero, and that’s what she fell for. To fall in love with someone, you must know the person. Ginny doesn’t know Harry. As I said, she knows the legend not the boy. It makes sense if say Hermione fell in love with Harry, she knows him but Ginny doesn’t. Harry, Ron and Hermione have a very close friendship as we all know, but this friendship meant that they excluded poor Ginny, therefore Ginny never really got to know Harry.

Yes, she had a crush, but that’s it. We’ve all had crushes, and most of the time that’s all they’ve been. She was 11 when she first met Harry, who was most likely to be her first crush. But since then she had probably liked other guys. She 14 for crying out loud! I’m 16 and I haven’t been restricted to just my first crush. If Harry and Ginny get together because of an attraction that one of them had at such a young age, who says that it would become love? Just because Ginny thinks that Harry is cute, doesn’t automatically mean that they are meant to be…just as many might think that even though D/G fans come up with reasons for them being OTP, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it will happen.
After 5 years of being mostly ignored by Harry, don’t you think that she would have grown out it by now? I think she has, otherwise why date both Michael Corner and Dean Thomas? She was trying to move on, which seems to be quite a good idea.

The ‘argument’ about becoming one, big happy family…Ginny should be with someone other than convenience. That’s all I’m saying about that.



“But, I thought that the Malfoy’s hate the Weasley’s. Draco is a Malfoy, Ginny a Weasley, how can that work?”

Right, we all know the hate between the Weasley’s and the Malfoy’s. How the hate started, I don’t know…or remember, either way it’s there.
We see how much the two families hate each other by the fights between Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy, the constant arguments between Draco and Ron, in which Draco refers to the Weasley family’s money problems. A relationship between Draco and the youngest Weasley is hard to believe, right? Wrong. I think that Draco’s ‘hate’ comes from what he’s been brought up to believe. Weasley’s are poor, they’re blood traitors, and therefore, lower than him. But what Draco probably hates is the name of Weasley. He doesn’t know the family, he’s been brought up to believe that Weasley = scum.
So, I think that if Draco got to know a certain red headed girl, the name issue could change. After all, it is possible to change ones name.



“Well then, screw D/G! Draco can get over his hate of muggle’s and him and Hermione fall for each other…it’s so perfect!”

Um, no, I really doubt they could. The only reason why Draco dislikes Ginny is because of a name; Draco actually hates what Hermione is. She was born from a muggle family, she’s a Mudblood to him and that’s something that she can’t change. Ginny may be a Weasley, but at least her family are pureblood wizards. Not that it should matter, but that type of prejudice is harder to change. Draco changing his views that radically would be nothing short of impossible.

Also, Hermione’s hated Draco probably since they first met. He’s made her life hell, calling her names and just being a bastard. Why would she suddenly change her opinion of him so drastically? What, does she see a new, kinder side of Draco, which he shows to her? And if that were true, why would Draco show that side to her in the first place? And people say that the D/G ‘ship is far-fetched…

There hasn’t been much interaction between Draco and Ginny, so their feeling for each other haven’t been properly defined. But Draco and Hermione hate each other, we all know that and we also know that not much can change this.



“No one can make the D/G pairing realistic! It would never happen!”

Why the hell not? Basically, I believe that almost anything is possible, just as the writer makes the plot believable. Isn’t that the point of fanfiction? So that we can re-write our favourite books/TV shows/movies, so that we can explore these things further? If not, I’ve spent the last two years reading/writing fanfic for the wrong reason.

If a writer is able to put together the pairing of Ginny and Draco and make it realistic, the story must be worth reading. I mean if this weren’t true, why would the Draco/Ginny pairing have a following. It’s the same for other fandoms as well. I know for a fact that the Angel/Spike pairing in Buffy the Vampire Slayer is EXTREMELY popular, though, who wouldn’t love pairing up two hot vampires with some oil…uh, sorry, went a little off topic there.

Basically, I think that’s why I even considered reading D/G, I was curious to see how the author of the fic could get these two seemingly opposite characters together. And I have to say, most of the stories I’ve read on the pairing have been brilliant.



“Well…well, it’ll NEVER happen in canon, so there!” *Enter immature sticking out of tongue*

As I mentioned before, we don’t know much of either character. Both don’t appear much in the books as the series is based on Harry. To imply that the pairing is impossible in canon, we must first know both characters better.

If JKR mentioned in the books that Draco and Ginny despised each other and they wished a terrible death on the other, then maybe the pairing would be a little out-of-canon. But, she hasn’t (thank God).
Because she hasn’t, we are able to build up our own character on what little we know.
Until JK Rowling actually says that there is no possibility of a D/G pairing, Draco/Ginny can still remain in canon.



“Um, I can’t think of any other arguments, but D/G is like, EW!”

Well, that was my argument. It was short, not very eloquently written, but I was able to write how I feel about the ‘ship.

At the end of the day, it’s up to an individuals tastes to which pairing they support. I have a thing for blond bad boys (Draco Malfoy, Spike from Buffy, Sark from Alias and so on), so maybe it’s not so surprising that I chose a pairing that included Draco.

Do I think JKR will give us the D/G ending that we all want? No. *Sigh* Unfortunately though the pairing is not impossible, it might be a bit too strange to write. Plus, I think JKR has already knows exactly what’s going to happen in the last book, and so any form of bribery won’t work…shame really. But, this doesn’t mean we’ll stop hoping ;)

Right, now all I have to do it print out this essay and hand it to anyone who looks as if I need help when I tell them that D/G = OTP!



Finito

(And if anyone actually finished this ‘essay’, you should be able to give me a review…hint, hint :p )
To Be Continued.
Kammy is the author of 0 other stories.

Leave a Review