“Are you mad?” Draco glared across the room at what he had once thought of as a rational girl. She glanced up at him then returned to studying the pages of the book in front of her. “I am being serious here Gin.”

Ginny flipped her book closed and sighed. She knew she should not have told him. Every one she had asked about it, all two of them, had been adamantly against it, but her stubborn truthful streak could not be ignored and so she let the secret slip. She rolled her eyes while still safely facing away from him, then slowly sat up and turned to face what ever wrath her seemingly brilliant plan had brought down on her.

“It’s very simple Malfoy. You needed a girlfriend and I needed someone I could semi-trust. So I picked Pansy. I told her what the rules would be and how everything should play out and she agreed. Then all that was left was to push you in her direction and there you have it.” She crossed her legs and pulled her tumbled curls back from her face with her hands. Then she quirked her mouth and raised an eyebrow at him.

“You picked her? How cold blooded of you. And where did you think you would fit in after the rest of the school caught wind of my relationship with Pansy?” His tone was frosty and tinged with hostility.

“Where I had always been: in the shadows. Come on Malfoy even you have to admit that it worked perfectly. The whole of Hogwarts had the two of you married and producing evil little babies. And the beauty of it is that no one would ever think that someone as sweet and innocent as I am would poach on another girl’s property.” She let her hair drop back down and winked saucily at him.

“I am no woman’s property Ginevra.”

He bit the words out, his eyes flashing. Ginny blinked owlishly at him before shaking her head. She rose from the bed and walked to his side. After cocking her head to one side she smiled up at him and touched his cheek. She traced the line of his chin and then brought her fingers to his full lips.

“No one with a lick of sense would ever believe that you could be owned Malfoy.” She drew back and narrowed her eyes at him. “All I am saying is that you and I were able to go on in the same way we always had without questions arising which would have been uncomfortable for both of us.”

“I will grant you that.” He caught her roaming fingers in his hand and brought it to his chest. “But you went too far Weasley. You assumed you could choose a woman for me and that I would just play along.” He squeezed her wrist painfully and took a small amount of satisfaction in the way she endured it.

“Why does it even matter? It was ages ago. You have long since moved on and so has she. I only told you because you asked me last week why I was comfortable to be in the background of your life while another girl takes center stage.”

“Next time I will think about what I am asking before I voice it.”

“You do that. Now if you don’t mind,” She pulled free from his grasp and walked back to his bed. She bent over and started to collect her books and papers. “I think I should be going now.”

“Going where Gin? You know you told a number of little white lies to get this hour free. Who else would you spend it with if not me? You know that Blaise and Millie are busy with each other and even you cannot relish the idea of spending what little free time you have with Numbskull Neville.”

Ginny whirled on him her eyes flashing.

“What makes you so sure Malfoy? You know I enjoy his company far more than any other boy I associate with. And that includes you, your royal nastiness.” She marched up to him and jabbed him sharply in the chest. “I have made my stance on Neville clear from day one. You are to leave him the bloody hell alone and if you do not then I will no longer be as willing as I now am to service your ruddy needs.”

“Service my needs?” He said with a scoff.

“Would you rather I sully it up some? How does ‘I won’t be fucking you’ sound?”

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep Gin.” He said with a warning in his voice. His eyes were narrowing now and it was all he could do not to grab her by the shoulders and shake some sense into that stubborn head of hers. Could she not see that the last thing he needed was to be fixed up with a witch?

“Malfoy, you silly little prig, do you really fancy yourself to be that great a lover?” She gave a cold little laugh and shook her head in disbelief. “When will you learn that nothing you do in there” she gestured to the bed “will ever matter a wit when we are out of it?”

Draco stared at her. He didn’t believe that she was as detached as she wanted him to think she was, but a nagging voice in the back his mind wouldn’t let him ignore her words. Ginny watched him standing there with his mouth gaping open and felt something tug in her stomach. She couldn’t help the bemused smile that tugged at her lips as she sauntered over to him.

“Don’t look so vulnerable Malfoy” she all but cooed. “It’s doesn’t suit you.” She snickered as his mouth snapped into a sneer.

Draco was unbalanced by her blasé attitude towards him and felt a twitch start up in his cheek. She didn’t understand. She couldn’t possible realize… He broke off his train of thought and gave a throaty chuckle. She silenced it with a kiss. He wrapped his hands in her hair and moaned into her cunning mouth. He was surprised when she broke away. Normally a kiss like that lead to frantic fumbling and a distinct lack of oxygen, not to her calmly pulling away and patting her hair back into place.

“I don’t need you.” She said. Her eyes didn’t meet his and somehow he knew that meant something important. “I love what we do together, really I do, but I don’t need you any more than you need me.” Her lips quirked up bitterly at that and Draco had the distinct impression it had hurt her to say that.

He opened his mouth to tell her that she must need him very badly indeed if her needs mirrored his, but she had taken advantage of his momentary distraction to undo the buttons of her shirt and the sight of her breasts peeking out at him from the scrap of lace she called a bra was too much for his hormone driven mind to overlook.

@~@~@


Alone in his bed later that night he replayed the events of the day, trying to make sense of it. She told him she wanted to play a minor part in his life and then ranted about how she hated it. She said she didn’t want sex from him, and then she seduced him. She claimed that all she wanted him was his body, then told him that his body wouldn’t be enough to keep her entertained much longer. And that last bit terrified him.

He knew that she had become an integral part of him life. He had come to rely on her in so many areas that he could not picture how he would be able to get on without her there. But she didn’t seem to feel the same way about him. She had given him a look that told him she thought he was dirt and there was nothing he would ever be able to do that would change that.

He scanned his memories for any hint of what was going on in her twisted brain, but all he could focus on what the pain in her eyes when she said she didn’t need him and the lie in her kiss that made him want to call things off all together.
Leave a Review