“This isn’t why I came here,” Ginny muttered to herself as she pulled her skirt up over her hips.

She turned to the side and started to zip it shut when a hand reached out and grabbed her bare leg. She gave the zipper one last tug and then swatted at the hand that was making its way north. The hand evaded her and a laugh followed the yelp of pain she made when her own flesh felt the sting of the slap.

“Of course this is what you came for mistress mine,” Draco said as he peered at her rapidly disappearing back. “We meet every weekend you have free.” He smirked and then added, “And some you do not.”

Ginny snorted as she slid her arms into her robe and turned to look at the still naked man draped across the hotel’s roomy bed. She put a hand to her stomach self-consciously and frowned at the news she knew she must tell him.

Draco noticed the frown and sneered. She had been acting strange for over a month now and he had a nagging fear that he knew what was coming next. They had been together unofficially for just over seven years, well past the time he thought he would have broken things off and the two of them would have gone their separate ways. He never worried that she would leave but now he felt like he should have.

She glared at him again.

He did not remember when that had started happening. Something inside of him cringed at the sign of her obvious displeasure. He licked his lips and put a saucy expression on his face. Her eyes went sleek and half lidded and for a second he thought it worked. Then she rolled her eyes at him and stalked over to an armchair.

“We need to talk, Malfoy.” Her voice was emotionless and her eyes were dead.

Draco pushed himself into a sitting position and lazily pulled the sheets up to his waist. He watched her carefully, waiting to see the familiar lust darkening her eyes, and disappointment shot through him when it failed to happen.

“Then talk.” His voice was gruffer then he meant it to be with fear and worry shading ever syllable.

“Things are… Well, that is to say…”

Ginny fumbled for the words to tell him how horribly wrong the events of the last month had been. She wanted share how terrified she had been when she had missed her period and how excited she felt when the Medi-witch told her she was carrying twins. She longed to show him the picture of the babies she had been given and talk about names; she lay in bed at night and dreamed that they would have a perfect little family and a perfect little life.

In her dreams it did not matter that he was a Malfoy and she was a Weasley. Her family welcomed him with open arms and his called off the engagement to that vile Greengrass girl. She pictured what life would be like in a perfect world; he would do things like hold her hand in public and kiss her still flat belly in the confines of their bedroom. He would say things just to make her laugh and smile into her eyes as he told her he loved her.

But Ginny was smart enough to know that none of that would ever happen. He was who he was and she would never deny her heritage. No matter how much she might want to get on her knees in front of him and beg him to love her just a little.

Draco watched the emotions run across her face as the fear took root in his belly. She was upset about something. Something she knew he wouldn’t like. Something she did not want to say but knew she had to. He saw the moment she made up her mind to say it anyway and realized that he could not take the rejection he was sure was coming.

“Look, Gin,” he said in his most patronizing tone, “if we are done with,” he gestured towards the bed, “then you had better go.”

She stiffened, all thoughts of trying to lessen the blow leaving her. Her eyes flashed and she pulled a sneer so like his that Draco involuntarily pulled back.

“Sod off, Malfoy.”

“Oh that one hurt, Weasel. God, you can’t think of anything new can you? You have been saying that same line since you were a first year.”

“I don’t know why I even bother with you.” It was said with no emotion at all and cut him like nothing else ever had. Draco reacted without conscious thought.

“Trying to get a little taste of class, Gin, you know that’s why you want me. Same as why I am drawn to you. I just keep hoping I get my fill of trash before I get married and start my family.”

The viciousness of it brought her to the brink of tears. Ginny bit her lip and started at him with all the love and hate that she felt written for the entire world to see on her face. The two emotions warred until slowly the love faded.

“Funny, that’s what I always thought about you.” She forced a laugh before flipping her hair over her shoulders and standing. “I really should be going now, Malfoy.” She reached for her bag, not even bothering to fix a fake smile on her lips.

“When will I see you next, Gin?”

“Pardon?”

“You heard me, witch.”

Draco forced himself to remain calm. They had many a nasty fight before and nothing had come of it other than a few hurt feelings and some outstanding makeup sex. But this time it was different. When she looked at him he saw only a bored detachment and nothing of the passions that had always flowed between them.

“Well honestly! I thought I had made myself clear.”

“When will I see you next, Gin?” There was desperation in his voice that would have swayed her if not for the knowledge that she had something other than her own wants to worry about now.

“I didn’t think I would have to spell it out for you, Malfoy, but I guess you are slower than I thought.” She touched a finger to her lips as she considered her wording. “I found you interesting. I was intrigued by all the questions in you. I loved watching you lurch between a good little puppet and someone worth knowing.” She gave a tight laugh. “I will be the first to admit that it was fun. We had a few good times and some really great sex. But I am getting a little old for that sort of thing now, don’t you think?”

“You are mine,” Draco hissed between clenched teeth. “I claimed you as mine from the moment I kissed you.”

“I have told you from the first time you made that foolish declaration that I belong to someone else. And since Harry was so good as to get rid of Tom for me, I have been my own master.” She gave him a cruel little smile. “Do you really think I would let a petty little boy like you control me? Grow up, Malfoy.”

He was out of the bed in a flash. He slammed her against the wall with a force that knocked the breath out of her. His eyes were like shards of glass and his hands bit cruelly into her flesh. He attempted to press his mouth possessively to hers, but she turned her face at the last minute and all he got was a mouthful of hair. He pulled back and stared at her, trying to make sense of the blank looks she was giving him.

“Malfoy…”

He cut her off with a hard shake. “The name is Draco, Gin. I haven’t been a Malfoy to you for quite sometime.” He smiled wryly. “If I had been then you wouldn’t be so foolish as to think you can just walk away from this.”

“Stop being such a drama queen, Draco,” she sneered.

“Why now, Gin? What happened that suddenly made you realize you no longer want what only I can give you?”

Ginny closed her eyes for a second and contemplated telling him about the babies. Then she had a flash of insight; Draco would never break his contract. He had proven to her time and again that when push came to shove he would do as he was told. He might enjoy her and take great pleasure in her company, but there was no way he would jeopardize his future for her. So she told him as close to the truth as she could go without telling him the whole of it.

“I want a decent home for my children. I want to be able to walk arm and arm with their father down the main street in broad daylight without having to worry about what might happen because of it. I want a two story modest sort of house in a good wizard neighborhood where everyone knows each other and the kids run wild in the streets without fear.”

Her features softened as she let herself relive the life she very much wanted with him one last time. She smiled as she pictured the things she now knew would never happen: the look on his face when the babies were born; the sound of his laughter on a steamy summer night; the way he would rock his son to sleep and the silly stories he would tell his daughter to make her feel better when she was frightened. All the many complicated fictions she had happily dreamed up in the last month slowly made their way through her mind. When the last one had been purged she felt a sense of calm come over her.

“Gin.” It was wistful, filled with his longing to share more of himself with her. Then his face hardened and his tone became hateful. “Nothing was ever good enough for you, was it? You just had to have more. I gave you all that I could, every bit of me that was mine to hand over was yours for the taking and still you were not satisfied. I humbled myself so much for you, let you date other boys and didn’t say one word about the manner in which you came to me.

"You cold hearted little cunt! I should have known you would do this! Father always told me not to waste my time on those who are below me and now I see why. You should have been grateful; you should have been at my feet.”

He reached out to touch her face and she flinched. Something inside of him snapped at the sight of her fear. Did she honestly not know how much she meant to him? Could she possibly still think of what they had was based on sex?

“Don’t touch me, Malfoy.”

She shrugged off his embrace and shoved him away from her. She felt like her heart had been ripped from her chest as she calmly walked towards the bed. She knew she had to ask, that she would hate herself forever if she didn’t, but she was frightened of what his answer might be. She closed her eyes and reached deep inside of herself to find the courage to do it.

“Malfoy, have you ever considered what it would be like to have a family with me?”

Her voice is as emotionless as can be; her eyes burned with something too close to longing for her to admit and she bit her lower lip while she waited for his reply. She watched as the surprise gave way to suspicion and frowned slightly as his eyes narrow.

“Why would I ever do something as pointless as that, Gin?” His tone is mild and not meant to hurt, but his words cut her deeply and the pain of it colored her thoughts.

“Forget it, Malfoy,” she said with a sigh. “I don’t know why I ever thought you were any thing more than a Daddy’s boy.”

He glared at her, wanting badly to tell her she was wrong. But instead he said nothing. He knew she was right. If she walked out today it really didn’t matter. They had fights as often as other couples snogged. So he let her go, secure in the knowledge that this time next week they would be content with each other again.

It wasn’t until a month later that he realized she was gone for good.


~Fin



Thank you so much for reading! If you are interested in finding out what happens read Every Story Has Two Sides.

Lielabell
The End.
lielabell is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Time Standing Still also liked 453 other stories.
Leave a Review