Chapter Two: Ginny’s Prefect Summer


Ginny moaned as she rolled over in her very comfortable bed. She lay a few minutes tangled in the warm blankets. Looking out the window she saw a heavy stream of rain falling to the ground. She heard the voices of Ron and Harry heading downstairs. Looking to the other side or the room she saw Hermione pulling on a red jumper. While Ginny was leaving her warm bundle of sheets the doorbell rang.

Mrs. Weasley let out a scream of frustration as Mrs. Black began to shriek. “The blood traitor is gone, but still here are these nasty beasts! Mudbloods and werewo…” Just as suddenly as Mrs. Black had started screaming, she stopped.

Ginny got dressed in a loose fitting pair of jeans and a t-shirt. No doubt her mother would have them all cleaning again.

“Good morning, Ginny! You almost ready?” asked Hermione, putting gel in her wet, curly hair. Ginny grabbed a brush of the dresser and quickly put her flame-red hair in a high ponytail.

“Okay, ready.” She and Hermione stepped quietly down the stairs and into the kitchen. All around the table were Harry, Ron, Mr. And Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and the new arrival, Professor Snape. He was the only one not sitting down, and he looked very unpleasant and seemed to be in a rush.

“I will be attending to some business while waiting in the drawing room, Potter. Hurry with your breakfast and meet me there. I do not have all day to waste on you.”

Mr. Weasley gave a sympathetic look to Harry who merely nodded and mumbled, “Yes, Professor.” Once Snape was out of earshot, Harry turned to Ron, Hermione and Ginny and said, “Only one good thing about doing Occlumency twice a week.”

“What’s that?” asked Ron, obviously startled.

“Shorter lessons. It seems he gets nastier the more time you spend with him.”

All four of them smirked. Molly insisted that Harry finish a thorough meal before traipsing upstairs to have his mind broken into. Hermione, Ron and Ginny talked with their mother about all of the wonderful things they wanted to buy in Diagon Alley.

“I need a new broom if I am going to play chaser,” Ginny said. “I cannot outsmart the keeper on that snail. I would love to have a Nimbus…but a Cleansweep Eight would be really great too! Of course, I have been saving all my money up for a cat. It’s not nearly enough to buy the Cleansweep Eight anyway,” she said, sighing.

“Well, become Prefect and you can get one,” teased Ron.

“I’m not a prat like you!” Ginny retorted. She had always seen herself more like Fred and George than any of her brothers.

“Ginny…Ron, be nice,” said Molly casually. She was clearing the table of all the dirty dishes. After the entire table was cleaned, and when the subject of broomsticks had began to bug Hermione, a noise could be heard from upstairs. There was thud and then a man loudly spat, “Potter! Enough!”

Tonks rushed up the stairs, closely followed by Mrs. Weasley, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny. They all made it to drawing room corridor in time to see Snape walking wobbly on unstable feet and mumble something as he pointed his wand to his legs. He looked rather ruffled and angry.

“That was uncalled for, Potter. I don’t remember telling you to use the Jelly Legs jinx! You are to push me out of your mind, not jinx me!” hissed Snape venomously.

“I didn’t mean to…sir,” Harry apologized in an unconvincing tone. He was trying hard to suppress his laughter.

“Cheap shots like that will not get you far,” he huffed straightening his coat, and realizing, for the first time, the crowd he was drawing. He stood up straight and pulled something out of his pocket. “Here,” he said shoving some papers at Mrs. Weasley. “Their Hogwart’s letters…as well as,” he turned and shot daggers at Harry, “your supply lists. Dumbledore asked I deliver them since he will not be attending the meeting tonight.” He thundered down the stairs. “Good day,” he hissed as he slammed the door, which was Mrs. Black’s cue…

“Rotten, filthy, ingrates. No fit to practice magic. Bringing in Mudbloods…” Tonks and Mrs. Weasley, after handing Ron their letters, ran past all others to close the curtain to the perma-stuck portrait.

Ron began pass out the letters to his friends and sister. They each started reading the letter about the train leaving from Platform 9 ¾, but were distracted when Ginny let out a loud gasp and muttered, “No.” Lying in her hand was a shining badge with the Gryffindor colors and a “P.”

Everyone looked at her shocked until Ron said, “P is for prat, you know!”

“Congratulations, Ginny!” said Harry and Hermione. Ginny stared blankly down at her hand. She flipped the badge over in her hand many times, examining it, to make sure it was real.

“Come on, Ginny. Let’s go show mum,”

“But…I…me?” stammered Ginny. Ron grabbed Ginny’s arm and pulled her quietly down the stairs. Harry and Hermione followed, smirking the whole time at the surprised look on Ginny’s face.

“But he can’t make it tonight. At least, that’s what Severus said. I hope the Dementors aren’t joining You-Know-Who.” Molly was sitting at the table deep in conversation with her husband and Tonks. She looked up as the entered with an angry look on her face. “I thought I told you lot to start packing your trunks. What are you doing down here?”

“Oh, just thought we’d come and show you Ginny’s Prefect badge,” said Ron in an airy tone. Harry pushed Ginny between the shoulder blades so she had no choice but to move closer to her mom. She held out her shaky hand and stared at the badge. She then looked questioningly at her mother as if asking to explain. Molly did nothing of the sort. She leapt from the table and squeezed Ginny in a rib-breaking hug. Ginny tried to pull away and catch her breath.

“Oh, Merlin! I can’t believe this! I really can’t believe this! Congratulations, Ginny!” She hugged her daughter again nearly six more times before letting Mr. Weasley and Tonks have a chance. “Congratulations!” they both said, heartily.

Finally, the shock began to wear off and Ginny said, “I can’t believe Professor Dumbledore chose me! I never though I’d be a Prefect.”

“Well, we will have to have a special dinner tonight, in celebration. Then tomorrow we shall go to Diagon Alley to buy your gift!” said Mrs. Weasley. “Ooohhh!” she squealed excitedly, squeezing Ginny again.

“Good job, Gin,” said Harry, giving her a hug.

“Thanks.”

“It’s so wonderful,” said Hermoine, also hugging Ginny. “You’ll have great fun being a prefect!”
Leave a Review