Chapter Ten

I didn’t think that my angering the dragon would have an after effect, other than angering the hell out of the Death Eaters. It took exactly a week for the effect to take place. I found out, later, that Voldemort had been in a meeting, somewhere away from the place I was being held captive, when my stunt had happened. He got a week after it had happened and was furious. He didn’t bother sending for me; no, he came himself. I was picking at my food when the door was thrown open and he stalked in. He looked about a foot taller than normal in his anger. His red eyes were in slits, and anger was radiating from him. I shrunk further back into the wall.

“You stupid girl,” he hissed. I looked him directly in the eye, but didn’t say anything. Natasha’s threat was still fresh in my mind, and I had no intentions of getting myself killed. “Crucio,” he said, and the pain was unlike I had ever felt. Voldemort’s Cruciatus curse was twenty times stronger than either Natasha’s or Wormtail’s, and it felt like it lasted twenty times longer. When he finally lifted the curse, I could barely stay awake. Just before I blacked out, I heard someone scream, “My Lord! They’ve come!”


***


I don’t know how long it was before I woke up again, but all was silent. Voldemort was gone, and so was my food plate. I was still lying on the floor where I had fallen. The silence was eerie for some reason, like something had happened while I was unconscious. I thought back to the last thing I had heard. “My Lord! They’ve come! ” I frowned. I didn’t know who “they” were, or if they could be of any help to me. I sat down on the edge of my bed and settled myself in for a long wait.

It was hours before I heard anything. I had forced myself into an almost trance-like state, when I heard the voices.

“We’ve checked everywhere else,” a hard female voice said, sounding like it was coming from the end of the long hallway.

“She must be down here. She has to be. How else could the dragon…unless they’ve moved her,” a male voice said, trailing off. I realized they were my only hope, and moved over to the door.

“I’M IN HERE!” I shouted and banged on the door three times before my hand started to hurt. There was a still silence, and then-

“Eloise! Down here!” a male’s voice called out from near my cell. My heart rose to my throat and started to beat wildly. Eloise. The Council was here to save me! There were quick footsteps along with a grunting.

“Open it,” said a female voice, which I quickly recognized to be Eloise’s. A grin spread across my lips, as I heard whomever she had been speaking to mutter an incantation and the door swung open. There in the hallway stood Eloise, a Death Eater in ropes, a few council members and, best of all, Charlie.

“Oh, Ginny,” he breathed and stepped towards me. I met him halfway and he captured me a bear hug, similar to the ones he would give me when I was younger.

“She’ll have to go to St. Mungo’s, of course,” someone said, I peaked over Charlie’s shoulders and saw that Leila had spoken. I felt safe enough in my brother’s arms to look more closely at who had come to my rescue. Malia was leaning against the doorway with Dorian next to her. Eloise was supervising Thomas, Geoffrey, and Payton in what to do with the prisoners, and Leila and Camilla were talking quietly across the hall. My heart sank. Draco wasn’t there.

“The sooner we get her there, the sooner we can get her home,” Charlie said as he let me out of his hug. I frowned. St. Mungo’s? I hated the hospital. When Dad had to stay there in my fourth year, I hated visiting him there. Charlie saw the look on my face and added, “You won’t have to stay. They just need to run some tests to make sure that you’re in good condition.” I nodded warily, and followed my brother out of the cell and into freedom.


***


Later that night, I was finally able to return home to the Burrow where my family, Harry and Hermione included, was waiting. Mum had cooked a huge meal, and everyone was really excited to see me, but all I wanted to do was go to bed. I stayed up as long as I could and even ate some, but an hour and a half into my return home I could barely keep my eyes open. My elbows were on the table, on either side of my picked at plate, and my head was resting on my hands as I listened to Harry and Ron recount their latest Quidditch glory from the previous day. My eyes started to droop, and I knew I would fall asleep soon, whether I wanted to or not. Luckily, Mum saw my struggling, and shooed me towards bed.

“You’ve had a few weeks, dear. Go on to bed,” she said gently and sent me on my way. Once in my room I fell onto my bed and was instantly asleep.


***


The next day was rainy, just the way I liked them. Harry and Ron went with Fred and George to their shop, leaving Hermione and me to have some girl talk time, something we hadn’t had in a very long time.

“Ginny, I have a question I’ve been dying to ask you, but if you don’t want to answer it, I’ll understand,” Hermione said quickly. I smiled faintly.

“Go on,” I said, “I’ll answer whatever I can, Herms.” She scrunched her nose in disgust at my favorite nickname for her.

“Did, uh, Malfoy try to stop your kidnapping?” she said, and paused slightly as my jaw dropped. Seeing my look of shock, she continued hastily. “I mean, he says he didn’t, and I suppose the Ministry believed him, but I mean, come on! Look what he has for a father! Look at his family! No one at school really believes him, not even the other Slytherins.” I sat still, still too shocked to answer. Draco was being blamed for my kidnapping? Finally I snapped out of my funk.

“We were talking quite civilly about, um, stuff, and then all of the sudden someone behind me said ‘Stupefy’, and I blacked out. Considering the conversation we were having, I don’t think he had anything to do with it. And don’t use that ‘look at his father and family’ nonsense with me. I mean, just look at Perce! He was awful, and our family isn’t,” I concluded, ignoring the anger I felt at my brother. Hermione looked mildly embarrassed. Her look of embarrassment quickly turned into one of curiosity, as if she had suddenly remembered something.

“What did you mean when you said ‘considering the conversation we were having’?” she asked me. I could feel my face flush, and I looked down.

“He, uh, kissed me at Christmas, and I think he was going to ask me out,” I said, turning the color of tomatoes. Hermione’s eyebrows shot into her hair, and she looked thoroughly surprised.

“That’s really…wow…are you sure? Malfoy?” she asked, her surprise tinted with suspicion. I nodded.

“Herms, he’s changed. Hydes…well, it just does something to you. When we’re there, there are no stupid house or family rivalries. You have your dragon, and that’s all you need to be happy, really,” I said, pausing for a moment to think about the conversation I had had with Lacey over Christmas about why people with dragons go to Voldemort’s side. Hermione opened her mouth, but I was in no mood to talk about Hydes and Goldenwing, so I cut her off by asking another question. “How did it look like Draco was handling this?”

“He’s been…well, not really his usual self. He’s been hanging about in the library by himself, doing his homework, a lot. He goes out of his way to avoid us, but I think that’s because Ron doesn’t really believe that he had nothing to do in this.” Hermione ended with a small shrug. Poor Draco, I thought. We didn’t get to talk anymore because Mum chose that moment to knock on the door and come in.

“Ginny, love, could I see you downstairs for a moment? Oh, Hermione, the boys are due back any moment. Will you make sure that they pack their things? Dumbledore requests that you lot be back by dinner for the feast,” Mum said as she led us downstairs.

“What feast?” I asked curiously as we took the last steps off the stairs.

“Your welcome home feast, of course,” Mum said and herded me into the den, shutting the door behind me. I sat down on the couch and pulled a freshly knitted blanket around my shoulders as Mum started a fire in the fireplace.

“What did you want to see me about?” I asked and watched as she made a huge fuss about getting herself comfortable.

“It’s about this dragon thing,” she said when she could no longer stall.

“What about it?” I asked, a cold knot forming in the pit of my stomach. I knew what was coming, but that didn’t mean that I wanted to hear it.

“I want you to give it up,” she said, sighing and looking me in the eye.

“I can’t just ‘give it up,’ Mum! I have a duty. I have gifts,” I said.

“And those ‘gifts’ almost got you killed!” she snapped in return.

“No, Mum, those gifts kept me alive. They eventually saved me. If I hadn’t made that dragon mad, t he Council never would have found me.” Charlie, on our way to St. Mungo’s explained how they discovered my location. The area that Voldemort had me in hadn’t had dragon activity in years. When they heard of the angry dragon, they asked Snape if Voldemort had a place there. When they found out he did, they knew that that was where I was.

“He never would have taken you if you weren’t involved with the Council,” she said angrily. I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

“Of course he might have. Mum, face it. The moment that Harry was invited to our house, we became Voldemort’s targets, whether or not he was alive and aware of it,” I sighed. Mum looked at her hands, which were twisted together in her lap.

“I won’t be happy if you continue,” she said softly. I looked at her sadly, my anger draining, before replying.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t abandon Goldenwing,” I said and left.


***


In keeping with Dumbledore’s wishes, we were back at Hogwarts before dinner. I made my way to Gryffindor Tower with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I listened to them discuss Professor Cadaver, but did not participate in the conversation. I savored the enjoyment of being back at Hogwarts, my home away from home.

The feast that night was an enjoyable affair for the most part. Mya and Ron positioned themselves on either side of me, and refuse to leave. I thought briefly of my conversation with Hermione and wondered if she told Ron and Harry what I had said about Draco because every time I would sneak glances at the door to watch for him (because he hadn’t arrived yet) I would be pulled back into the conversation. It didn’t occur to me until an hour had passed that maybe he wasn’t going to come. Half an hour after my revelation, I managed to pull myself away from the feast alone by telling Ron that I wanted to thank Professor Snape (who was also not at the feast) for his part in my rescue. Once in the deserted entrance, I sought out Vertigo.

Where is Draco? I called out to the dragon. The answer didn’t come from Vertigo, but from my own Goldenwing.

He is here, with us, she said calmly. My heart soared. Goldenwing! I flew out the door and into the woods, towards the paddock. I was thoroughly out of breath by the time I got to the dragons. Draco, sure enough, was there. His back had been turned to me, but when he heard me, he turned.

“You shouldn’t be out here alone, Weasley. You wouldn’t want Potter to have to save you from evil Draco Malfoy, would you?” he said coldly as he turned his back to face his dragon.

“Draco-” I started, but he cut me off.

“Goldenwing is fine; I’ve been taking care of her for you. Now that you’ve seen that she’s okay, you can go run back to your precious Potter,” he said harshly. I stood where I was, blinking for a moment.

“Harry? But-” I started but, again, he cut me off. Draco Malfoy h ad manners, but I was beginning to think he missed the bit about not interrupting.

“Yes Potter, who would never let harm fall on you,” he said, his tone mocking. My brow knitted together in a look of confusion, and I opened my mouth to speak, but he cut me off again by whirling around to face me, an angry expression on his face. “Just go, and leave me alone!” My eyes narrowed and I glared at him.

“No. Draco Malfoy, you will listen to what I have to say, even if I have to put a Full Body Bind on you!” I yelled. His eyes narrowed, and he crossed his arms over his chest, but he didn’t say anything. I took a deep breath. “First of all, I don’t think you had anything to do with my kidnapping, and I feel perfectly safe out here with you, even if you are being a stupid prat.” He opened his mouth to speak, but I plowed ahead. “I know you wouldn’t intentionally let anything harm me, just like Harry wouldn’t. And as for Harry… I don’t want Harry. Do you understand that? I do not want him. I want you, and if you can’t accept that, well, then it’s your loss. Thank you for taking care of my dragon, but since you’re being insufferable, I’m leaving,” I said, and turned, ready to stalk off.

“Weasley…wait,” he said, his tone softer than when he had spoken last. I turned back around, angry tears welling in my eyes. He was looking at his shoes as if they were the most interesting things he’d ever seen. I shivered, suddenly remembering my lack of a cloak. He looked up when I shivered and, in one fluid moment, look off his cloak. He muttered something as he draped it over my shoulders.

“What?” I said, not catching what he had muttered. He sighed heavily and looked me in the eye.

“I’m sorry,” he said, emphasizing the last word. I smiled slightly.

“The infamous Draco Malfoy is apologizing for being insufferable and a stupid prat, and I don’t have any witnesses,” I said mockingly. He glared at me, and I dropped my mocking tone. “Sorry…your apology is accepted.” He hesitated for a moment and stepped forward and pulled me to him in a hug. I wrapped my arms around him, glad just to be near him.

“So you really want me and not Potter?” he mumbled into my hair. I laughed softly and hugged him closer to me.

“Yes,” I said, and his lips met mine in our second kiss. When we were both breathless and felt like passing out from the pleasure, we parted and just stood in silence in each other’s arms.

“We should get back to the castle,” Draco said, finally pulling away from me. “They’ll probably piece together that we’re both gone and come looking for me, ready for a lynching.” I giggled softly.

“I don’t think they would. They may not believe you, but they’ll believe Hermione. I had a nice little chat with her and told her that under no circumstances were you to be blamed for my kidnapping,” I said as I laced my fingers with his and we started the long walk back to the castle.

“Thanks,” he said, and we walked along in a comfortable silence for a while.

“Draco?” I asked as we neared the castle.

“Hmm?”

“Are you, you know, official now?” I asked him, and he stopped and turned to look at me.

“Do you want to be?” he asked, his silver eyes boring into mine. I shivered at the intensity of his gaze.

“Yes,” I said simply and he smiled a small lopsided smile. My heart fluttered, and I knew what his answer would be.

“Then we are. But let’s keep it down low for a while. You’ll be getting enough attention for the whole kidnapping thing without having this added on to it,” he said as we resumed our walk back to the castle.

“That’s fine with me, but I want to tell my family before the summer hols,” I said, and he nodded his consent. When we parted ways in the entrance hall that night, he promised he would let me know when a good time and place to meet up again would be, and I made my way to Gryffindor Tower alone, a grin on my face and happier than I had been in a long time.
Leave a Review