Chapter Seven


The Burrow at Christmas was what made me happiest when I was little. All the brothers would come home and we’d spend time together, just playing. This tradition changed when I was ten. Mum and Dad went away for the holiday, and Harry, Fred, George, and Percy stayed at school. I went to stay with the Lovegoods. Luna has never been one of my close bosom buddies, but we were good enough friends that I had an enjoyable holiday, even though I missed my brothers.

This year all the brothers were coming home, Harry included. Hermione was going with her family to the beach. Christmas Eve was always an enjoyable affair. Mum would cook a feast that, had my brothers been sisters, we would have never been able to finish. But brothers I had, so every last crumb was consumed. After dinner we would gather in the living room and just spend time together. Percy would usually talk to Dad about Ministry things; Fred, George, Ron, and Charlie would talk about Quidditch; Mum would nag Bill about his hair; and I would slide in and out of each conversation. This year was pretty much the same. The only difference was that Charlie and I talked about dragons while Fred, George, Ron, and Harry talked Quidditch.

“Have you been taking care of Goldenwing?” he asked me as he wrote a letter. I smiled slightly, remembering that the last time I had been with my dragon, Draco had kissed me.

“Yes. Draco and I feed our dragons every three days,” I replied dutifully. Charlie’s head shot up at the lack of malice when talking about my schoolmate.

“Draco, not Malfoy, eh?” he asked smirking. I felt a blush rise to my cheeks.

“Since we’re spending so much time together, we’ve become civil to each other,” I replied, sticking my tongue out at him. He just continued to smirk as he turned his gaze back down to his letter.

“Who are you writing to?” I asked him curiously. He’d spent a good half hour on the letter, and it was nearly a foot and a half long. He paused in his writing before mumbling something. “What was that?” I asked, grinning. If Charlie was embarrassed to say who it was, it must be good.

“Malia,” he said louder. I squealed with delight.

“Does this mean you’re dating her?” I asked happily. Malia was a very nice girl, and if Charlie was going to date her, I was certainly going to approve. A faint blush crept on to his face. Charlie never blushed. My grin grew larger.

“Yes, for about a month now,” he said, answering the question that I hadn’t had time to ask. I jumped up from my chair and hugged him.

“I like her, Charlie,” I said as he returned my hug. He smiled.

“I do, too, Gin, I do too.”



A reply to my letter to Lacey arrived on Christmas morning, before I’d made my way downstairs to open my gifts. A small parcel was attached to it. I opened the parcel first. It was a necklace. The pendant was a dragon with its wings spread wide and brilliant green jewels for its eyes, and it hung on a delicate gold chain. I smiled slightly as I thought of my dragon and put the necklace on.


Bonjour mon amie!
How are you? You should be doing well, after getting such a kiss! Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! If only my guy would kiss me…but, alas, that won’t happen, not in this lifetime, anyway. Since Malfoy is so smitten with you, mine will probably end up marrying
her. At least one of us will be happy. I hope you like your necklace. I saw it in a store when we were shopping in Peu du Magie (the magical town by Beauxbatons), and I just had to get it for you. Thank you so much for the box of Chocolate Frogs you sent! They’re my favorite! I can’t wait to see you again. It’s so boring here at home! Maman is throwing a fit for us to decorate the whole house- without magic- and it’s awful. She’s been singing Christmas Carols at the top of her lungs all day and my Maman was not blessed with a beautiful voice. Grand-père has been visiting us, but he spends all his time locked in the office, doing Merlin knows what. Well, Maman is calling me…it’s time for my daily cooking lesson. She won’t listen when I tell her I don’t have her talent for the culinary arts. Ta for now!
Tout mon amour !
Lacey



I smiled and tucked the letter in my desk before shucking off my pajamas and putting on a pair of jeans and my new sweater- scarlet with a gold dragon on it- and making my way downstairs. My brothers were all already down there, although Ron and Harry looked half dead. I was sure they’d spent the night talking instead of sleeping. I smiled slightly and took a seat next to Bill.

“M-Morning, Gin,” he yawned. I smiled and curled up next to my older brother. I suddenly felt like I was six again, as this was something I was wont to do at that age. Bill smiled softly, as though thinking the same thing. Mum came in, carrying a tray full of mugs of hot cocoa. We each took a mug and she clapped her hands together.


“Ginny, I think you should do the honors,” she said, smiling down on me. I smiled back, although I wanted to scowl. Every time we were at home, she made me pass out the gifts. I set my mug down on the table next to me and kneeled in front of the tree, looking at all the tags on the gifts and giving them to their rightful owners. I had a method for this that I had perfected over the years. Mum and Dad would get theirs first, and then I would go in order from oldest to youngest with my brothers, saving me for last. Once I had passed out all the gifts, I settled back down next to Bill and at once we all started tearing into our gifts. We were interrupted by a voice from the kitchen calling out.

“Charlie!” a male voice called, which I instantly recognized as Dorian, Eloise’s second in command. Charlie dropped the present he was unwrapping and hurried in there, closing the living room door behind him. They had a few minutes’ hushed conversation before Charlie hurried back in.

“Ginny. We’re leaving, now. Grab your wand. We’ll come back for clothes later,” he said shortly and turned and left the room. I dropped my presents and hurried up stairs to get my shoes and my wand. In five minutes we were on the Knight Bus and headed to Hydes.

“What is it?” I asked him as we settled down at a table on the second level. He sighed heavily.

“A battle. They need all hands- except for Greens. You lot will be kept at the Manor, as always. I’ll be in the second or third shift that leaves, depending on when we get there, and how long it takes me to get Tedros ready,” he said, staring out the window as if willing it to get there faster. Maybe the fates did listen to Charlie, or maybe it was because we were the only customers on the bus, but not a minute later, the bus halted and we were in front of Hydes. A group of dragons was in one of the fields, readying for battle, while three other groups were just gathering their dragons. Lacey ran out of the Manor to meet us as we left the bus. Charlie said a hurried goodbye and ran to get his dragon ready. Lacey pulled me into the house.

“It’s good to see you,” she grinned. Her grin faded as she continued. “I wish it wasn’t because of a battle, though. I always hate battles. I hate thinking that someone might not come back.” I stopped and gave her a hug.

“I’m sure they’ll all come back. They didn’t last time, didn’t they? Anyway, there’s no match for Hydes dragons!” I said, smiling at the older girl in an attempt to cheer her up. She smiled a little.

“Unless they have dragons. Ginny, there’s something you have to understand. Maybe you’ve felt it, maybe you haven’t, but a person who has made such a connection with a dragon as we have will do anything to keep his or her dragon safe. Life after a dragon has passed on is awful for the human. They’ll always feel like they’re missing a part of themselves. Some people feel that Voldemort will be victorious in this war, so they’ll join that side in an attempt to save their dragon. I know that you’re thinking how could anyone doubt Dumbledore, but there are some out there.” We had reached the library and entered it. I frowned. I had never thought about that before. I looked up as we entered. A very sullen Zandra was sitting at one of the tables, flipping through a magazine. Draco was sitting at the opposite end of the same table doing some homework. Tait was lying on the chaise lounge, staring at the ceiling and generally doing nothing. Draco looked up when we walked him. Emotion flashed behind his eyes, but a cool mask of indifference made its customary appearance. I tore my gaze from him to Lacey. She was looking between us curiously. I shrugged and she shrugged in return.

“Let’s go to the second story,” I suggested and we made our way up the staircase and settle ourselves in chairs.

“So what was that look he gave you about?” she whispered to me. I blinked.

“What look?” I whispered back. She sighed exasperatedly.

“You know. First he showed a little bit of emotion- something I’ve never seen him do- and then he was all…indifferent,” she said, frowning. I shrugged once more.

“I guess he’s still confused,” I said, and picked up a book I’d grabbed off the shelf as we passed by. Linda and the Large Lotus. I rolled my eyes at the title, but opened the book and started to read, determined to not be subjected to the Spanish Inquisition.



We were not so lucky this time as we had been in the past. What Lacey told me had apparently been true. There were a few dragon people that felt that loyalty to Voldemort was the only way to ensure the survival of their dragon. This was not true, Charlie had told me later than night. They had eliminated three of the seven dragons that were on Voldemort’s side. Two of the twenty of our members had been killed. Rafael, rider of Caron, and Wyman, rider of Gunda, were both killed. Their dragons had died in mourning of their riders. I had met Rafael on a few occasions, and had liked him a lot. He loved to study history, but didn’t like Quidditch. Wyman, on the other hand, had been a Quidditch fanatic. He was good with animals and had reminded me a lot of Charlie. Charlie and Malia, who were so weary that they had to lean on each other to even walk, had come in to the Library to give us the news. Everyone seemed to take the news okay, except for me. Death always affected me badly. I was that way as a child, always bawling at any death, but the experience in the Chamber of Secrets my first year had made the condition worse. When Charlie told us of the deaths, I dropped my book on the floor and ran out of the Library and up to my room. I flung myself on the bed and cried into my pillow.

It seemed like I had been crying for hours before anyone came up. By the time Charlie came to see if I was okay, my crying had been reduced to the occasional sniffle. He sat down on the bed beside me and gathered me into his arms like he had done when I was little and was terrified of a thunderstorm.

“Ginny, I know this is hard for you, but you’ve got to accept it. Every one of us knows what we’re risking when we go back into battle. We know there’s a chance that we won’t come back. Wyman and Rafael were both friends of mine, and I know that they would be glad they died in battle rather than here, doing nothing,” he said. I sat there, thinking about what he said. When it was time for me to go into battle, did I want to have to think that I, or any of my friends, might not come back? I decided that it didn’t, but that I would have to since there was no way I would choose any other line of work. I hugged my brother back.

“Thank you,” I said quietly. He squeezed my gently before letting me go and getting off the bed and holding his hand out to help me up.

“I do believe dinner’s ready,” he said. I smiled slightly and took his hand, allowing him to help me up. We headed down stairs together, and I said a little prayer of thanks that my brother had been saved.


The next day, after returning home briefly so I could get some clothes to take back with me, Lacey and I spent the morning cleaning our dragons and racing them. After lunch we went back to the Library to work on homework. Draco caught me outside the doors to the Library.

“I need to speak with you, Weasley,” he said, looking me in the eye and studiously ignoring Lacey. I could feel the blush rising to my cheeks as I saw her smirking out of the corner of my eye.

“I’ll wait for you in the Library,” she said cheerily and went into the room, leaving me alone in the hallway with Draco.

“Where would you like to talk?” I asked, shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

“Here’s fine. I wanted to talk to you about what happened at the paddock before we left Hogwarts,” he said. I tensed. It looked like he was going to tell me to forget it, that it meant nothing.

“Want me to forget it, to pretend it never happened? Want me to promise that I won’t let the school know that you, Draco Malfoy, Prince of Slytherin, kissed a lowly Gryffindor Weasley?” I asked coldly, crossing my arms across my chess.

“Look, Weasley-” he started, but I cut him off, determined to have the upper hand in the conversation.

“I know you’re embarrassed at having kissed me, but I won’t tell anyone,” I said, and tried to pass him, but he grabbed my upper arm and turned me so that I was facing him once more.

“God, Weasley, can’t you just be quiet for once and let me speak? I’m not sorry I kissed you, but nothing can come of it right now because I don’t know what I’m feeling,” he said, practically spitting the words out. I’m not sorry I kissed you… echoed in my mind.

“Oh,” I said faintly and blinked. He was gone before I could formulate a reply. I slowly made my way into the Library where I knew Lacey would be waiting for me to tell her everything. I decided that she didn’t have to know, and that Draco wouldn’t want her knowing his business.


Life at the reservation went smoothly after that day. Tait, Zandra, Draco, Lacey, and I spent our mornings with our dragons, feeding, washing, and racing them. Our afternoons were spent on homework, and our evenings were spent usually playing Exploding Snap or hearing stories of battles from the older Council members. The last night of our stay there, we all gathered in the small ballroom, fires burning merrily in all twelve fireplaces, to play games and just have a goodtime in general. Draco and I would be returning to Hogwarts the next day while Zandra, Tait, and Lacey would return home for another day or two before going to their own schools. Eloise and Jude weren’t present, however, but I didn’t think about this. I was too busy enjoying myself while playing Exploding Snap with Lacey, Tait, and Draco as Zandra sat near us reading Witch Weekly.

The doors banged open and Eloise and Jude hurried in. The room fell silent as the formidable witch strode towards the center.

“Emergency Council meeting. Zandra, Tait, Draco, and Lacey, please leave. Ginny, you may stay as this pertains to you,” Eloise said. The four other greens muttered their annoyance that I, the youngest, was allowed to stay, but, after I promised Lacey to tell them if it was anything interesting, left. The remaining members seemed to float into ranks, Yellows with Yellows, Reds with Reds, and so on. Charlie waved me over and I sat next to him.

“We have just been informed of something, something that is terrible and could lead to our downfall,” Jude started. Gloria laughed lightly.

“Quit being such a drama queen!” she called out. Jude glared at her. Eloise stepped in between them as a peacekeeper.

“Gloria, there is a remote possibility of this happening. He is exaggerating it, though. We have been informed that Voldemort,” she paused, waiting for the customary shivers to subside, “knows of little Ginny’s talent regarding dragons. We all knew that this could be a liability when we accepted her, but we also knew that it would be better to have her on our side than to go to Voldemort’s side.

“Since Voldemort knows of Ginny’s talent, we are worried that he might try and attack or something. He will find any way possible to get Ginny on his side. She could talk any dragon into doing anything. Such is a great talent that needs to be treated with respect and not abused,” she paused here again, and looked directly at me, as if telling me silently that that last sentence had been directed at me.

“What are we going to do to prevent anything from happening?” Charlie asked from my right. I lowered my gaze to the floor, suddenly feeling like I was a great burden on them. I thought briefly of leaving and running away.

You will not leave me, Goldenwing said, her calm voice reassuring me. I felt suddenly ashamed of my traitorous thoughts of leaving my dragon.

Of course I won’t, I said.

“We will have a full Council meeting once Ginny is safely at Hogwarts. It is late, so this meeting is adjourned,” Eloise said with an authoritative voice, as if daring anyone to keep asking questions. People started to get up and walk around, whispering in small groups and sneaking glances at me. I dropped my gaze to the floor again.

“C’mon, Gin. Let’s get you to bed. First thing tomorrow we’ll take you and Draco back to Hogwarts,” Charlie said and pulled me towards the doors. I nodded dully, the happiness I’d had earlier was gone.


The next day was stormy. Just as we were about to board the Knight Bus, Eloise ran out.

“Charlie! We need you- there’s a battle! Draco can protect Ginny on their way back. Get your dragon ready, you’ll be in the first set!” Eloise left before Charlie could say anything. He gave me a quick hug and kissed me on the forehead.

“Be good and I’ll owl you to let you know I’m all right. Be careful,” he said, adding the last part to Draco, who nodded.

“Come on, Weasley. We’d better get going,” Draco said as he put a hand on my back and gently pushed me onto the bus. We sat down at a table on the third level.

“So you’re a target of Voldemort’s?” he asked conversationally. My eyebrows flew up, a gesture I’d seen Ron do many times, but had rarely done myself.

“Yes, but how did you know? I didn’t even tell Lacey,” I asked, surprised. I briefly wondered if he’d bought one of Fred and George’s Extendable Ears. He shrugged.

“I just guessed, from they way there were all acting,” he said. We sat in silence for a minute.

“Listen, about me snapping at you the other night, I’m sorry about it,” I said, looking anywhere but at him. I could feel his penetrating gaze on me. He was silent for a minute.

“It’s all right. It’s just…” he sighed, and continued. “This is wrong, it has to be. Father would…no, I’m not my Father. Weasley, I really like you, so I was wondering if-” he was cut off, just as I was started to get hopeful by another voice.

“STUPEFY!” the woman’s voice boomed. The jet of magic hit my back and I knew no more.
Leave a Review