Defying Gravity
By Saiyyan

DISCLAIMER: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. In addition, the song 'Defying Gravity' is copyright to Stephen Schwartz. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.

NOTE: This chapter, well some others too, are based off the song 'Defying Gravity' from the musical Wicked. Thank you to my favorite beta reader in the world, C/J. May you get several kisses. And Casey I love you, and I'm sorry for every mean thing I've ever done to you! I should've taken Midol at the Cape.

Constructive criticism is allowed, but flames will be overlooked.

- -
Chpt. 1 - Scheming
- -

"Dean, you never notice who I really am. You were just using me to be closer friends with Ron and in turn that would put you as a closer friend to Harry! I hope you think you're clever!"

She was sick of being seen for something about her, not for herself, but this was ridiculous. 'I need to do something about this,' Ginny mused. She needed to rid herself of the ones who grounded her.

"Fine, be that way. I really hope you're happy." Dean sneered. It was a Syltherin-worthy sneer, and she was shocked to see it. He stormed from the common room.

She was feeling more annoyed than loss. She had only been with Dean for little awhile, and she had merely agreed to it because she wanted something new in her life. She sunk into a chair, and stared at the ground, her hand laid upon her jaw. She wanted to be seen. She believed everyone deserved a chance. Her mind drifted to Harry Potter who broke her heart and her spirit by not seeing her. She still wanted him to see her but she now knew that it was impossible. She dropped her hand to the arm of the chair and mused aloud.

"I can't want it anymore."

At that moment something changed within her. She looked at a large grandfather clock and sighed. She had gotten up early to study but now noticed it was too late to go back to sleep. She closed her eyes for a long period of time.

She was sick of being condemned to the limits of her Weasley family. She wanted to defy her name more than anything. She rose and sauntered down to the Great Hall, then took her usual Gryffindor seat. What was the one thing that would defy the name of Weasley more than anything else? Her eyes came to rest on a certain Slytherin. 'That would be defying gravity.' She grinned.

Then she shook her head. How could she think that?! 'He's MALFOY!!' she screamed at herself. Sure, he was devilishly delicious, but that was insane. Not only were their families rivals, but his father caused her dementia in her first year. He was a Slytherin, his ego was bigger than Hagrid, and he absolutely hated her. He also was one of the top people who didn't see her for herself. She was a Weasley for Merlin's sake! She might as well slap a great sign that said 'taunt me!' on her back and call it a day.

Her mind flew reluctantly from Draco and fell upon the whispering students surrrounding her. Hermione sat suddenly, but gingerly next to her younger friend.

"Ginny, we heard what happened," She referred the 'we' to Harry who sat next to Hermione, and Ron who sat next to Harry. 'So did everyone else' Ginny observed. Ginny's friend, Leslie, sat next to her and listened to Hermione's words intently. "And we're really sorry that things didn't work out with Dean."

"I'm not! He was a wanker." Ron declared defiantly. Harry's head sunk to his hands. Hermione shot him a deathly threatening glare then wheeled her head back to Ginny.

"Anyways," she declared bitterly, "try not to dwell on it. There's better fish in the sea."

Ginny giggled at this to her friend Leslie and turned back to Hermione. "'Mione, I'm fine. Really!" She showed her friend a genuine smile and they began to talk of other things.

- -

Loathing. Understatement of the century. How they managaed to escape normal, shallow teenage drama, but still have so many outside friends amazed him. The Golden Trio was above everyone else. They knew it. Everyone else knew it, too. He wanted to be a part of that. No, not the goodiness of it. He craved for an escape from being part of the rest. He was disgusted with his 'peers' and ashamed that not only he was one of them, but for the fact that he could never rise above. But she loved this life. Littlest Weasel, Gryffindor's... Potter's little princess. He sneered with a tint of green in his flesh as he watched her laugh with her friends to the right of her, then turn left and converse with the Golden Trio. He threw his fork angrily into his eggs, exerting a sigh. There was nothing he could do to release his frustration of his hatred for teenage years. He relished in it at the end of last year. How many girls had he snogged and beyond? It didn't matter. He grew bored and realized the stupidity of teenage years and the human race. Okay, he was in a horrible mood, he admitted to himself. He just wanted to off everyone that wasn't pureblood and to his standard.

"Draco...?"

Apparently Zabini had been having a conversation with Draco. Zabini informed him that he had recently stole some 'gentleman's magazine' and they should go and look at it.

Draco scoffed, noting that his hatred was proven. He was drowning somehow in this life, and he merely wished that those around him would step into reality. He would be death threatened by his own father to take the Mark at the end of his final year of Hogwarts. He let his head fall into his hands, knowing taking the Mark would be like dropping off the edge of the flat earth. At first he tried to think of it as a means to rise above, but he honestly knew that one day, Voldemort would fall. He hated muggles and the like, but didn't feel as they were worth exerting the energy.

Lately, to Draco, nothing was worth exertion of energy. His lack of will to accomplish anything went unnoticed, for it was so slow and gradual over the summer.

Pansy noticed his head in his hands, scooted closer to him, and coddled him in a baby voice.

"Aww... whatsa matter Drakie-Poo?" She questioned, pinching his cheek.

This made him livid, blood boiling. "I've got a bleeding headache, you twit." She pretended not to hear his last words of his sentence, and hugged him, slamming her shoulder into his face. This brought sharp pain to the bridge of his nose, but before he could insult her or rip her throat out, she ran off to gossip with another Slytherin.

He roamed into the halls, finding a deep-silled window to sit upon. He braced his body with his back to one wall and the ball of his foot to the other. He gazed sullenly out the window. It was autumn, his favorite time of year. The colors were darkening, and things were chilly. He hated winter, most though he would've loved it. He hated it because of the snow, how impractical it was, and because it offered others amusement. Draco then paused for quite a long time, his mind dwelling on other things. He snapped back to reality, and whisked himself off to his first class.
Leave a Review