Disclaimer: Nope…my negotiations have proved unsuccessful, in fact I think JK Rowlings is soon gonna get a restraining order, so everyone who owns the rights to the characters still owns them. (Sounds kinda kinky…sorry.)

* * * * * *

“What’s going on?” Ginny said faintly, then she laughed nervously, “Nothing is going on.”

“Ginny,” Hermione said, sounding aggravated, “I’m not dense like Ron, that’s not gonna cut it - I would simply like you to answer the question.”

“You want to know what’s going on?” Ginny said, her voice shrill, “You want to know what’s going on? I’m falling for Draco Malfoy that’s what’s going on!” Realizing what she’d said, Ginny clapped her hands to her mouth, horrorstruck. “Oh God,” she moaned, “Oh God this is not happening. This is not happening.” Turning to Hermione she said wildly, “Am I suicidal or just plain dumb?”

“Well I’d normally say both but right now I’d say you’re in love.”

“No!” Ginny cried, “I can’t be in love with him.”

“Look,” Hermione said, impatient, “You can deny it and pretend everything is OK or you can do something about it.”

“Does doing something include hanging myself,” Ginny asked solemnly.

“No,” was Hermione’s firm reply. “Now tell me what happened last night between you and Malfoy.”

Ginny told Hermione everything-except the part about Draco the Dragon, for some reason, she considered that to be something private, between her and Malfoy. She also didn’t mention the part about Snape and McGonagall, she couldn’t explain why, but she felt it would be a bad idea.

“And so you kissed and that was it?” Hermione said, her glance piercing.

“Yeah,” Ginny said quickly, praying Hermione would let the subject drop.

Hermione gave her a long look, under which Ginny squirmed. Then the other girl gave a sigh and said, “If that’s everything…”

Ginny darted down the hallway, knowing that she hadn’t fooled Hermione a mite.

* * * *

Draco had been hurrying to breakfast when some fool bumped into him. He turned around and saw Ginny. He frowned at her, and saw her wilt visibly. She attempted to pass him, much to his annoyance, but was stopped by Harry calling out her name.

She turned to face Harry, her smile looking pinched. When he demanded where she’d been last night, Draco couldn’t withhold a sneer, ‘Potter, Potter,’ he thought snidely, ‘You never could pass up a chance to garner attention could you? Or make a fool of yourself in public for that matter.’

When Ginny began to rail at Harry, releasing all the pent-up anger and pain she’d kept to herself all this time, Draco’s insides did a queer leap. Quashing this emotion, which he refused to name, Draco studied the drama before him with particular intensity. When Harry let slip his name, Draco slipped off. He knew better than to let himself be dragged into this stupid feud. Breakfast forgotten, he made his way back to his dorm, determined to do some serious thinking.

He lay on his bed, and considered his options.

“What options?” he said scornfully.

That was it, basically, his father would soon send him an owl requesting his presence. There’d be a ceremony, he’d get his Dark Mark, and then Voldemort would request that he seize Harry, except it wouldn’t be a request, it would be an order, and he would have to follow it. Dumbledore was no moron, no matter how much he acted one, he’d have something in place to protect Harry. When Draco attempted to snatch the damn boy, he’d be caught and his life would be over.

For one wild second he thought ‘My parents might protest such a dangerous assignment being given to me.’ He mentally smacked himself for being so stupid. His family was allegiant to the Dark Lord, they weren’t about to object on his behalf.

His only other option would be to refuse the assignment, and then go into hiding, afraid for his life. He’d have to live on the run for the rest of his days until he finally died.

With this bleak portrait of his future, Draco sought comfort in the blissful confines of sleep.
Leave a Review