AN: OK thank you so much for the reviews….it’s totally awesome!

Jerika - lmao - fallenwitch - imelda - crystal - ronlover - me -MrsDanielRadcliffe - Erin

THANK YOU ALL FOR REVIEWING IT MEANT THE WORLD TO ME!!!

Just in case anyone cares I’m writing another Ginny/Draco story that’s totally different. BUT THERE WILL BE A SEQUEL TO A SHOT AT HAPPINESS. It’s tentatively called “Happiness Overshadowed” probably not gonna stay that cause it’s pretty dumb sounding. Actually now I'm thinking of it being called "The Trouble With Happiness" you have to let me know which one is better cause I'm not very decisive. I'm leaning towards The Trouble with Happiness but I dunno I'm pretty on the fence at the moment.

OK this is for Imelda and anyone else who didn't understand when the heck Draco told Ginny (In "Hogsmeade" AKA Chapter 19) “I don’t know why you care about me, but I’m warning you- stay away from me." He says that after he realizes that he has nothing to offer her. So it literally does come next in the chronological order of things. I'm so sorry if I lost anyone...I was trying out a new way of writing it (instead of having Draco say it, and Ginny then mull over the exact same sentence) but apparently it crashed and burned....OK on with the fic!


* * * * * *
Ginny watched the smudge grow larger against the rapidly darkening sky. Maybe it’s Charlie, she thought, or it could be Hermione. She was supposed to arrive on Boxing Day, but maybe she just couldn’t wait. But didn’t she loathe flying? Ginny gave up trying to guess who it was, it could very well be Lee Jordan, who was supposed to visit soon.

Her thoughts drifted to Draco. It seemed as if he was ever present in her mind. Was this how it would always be? Would these feelings ever fade? She found her self reliving the past month- had it only been a month ago that she had been yearning for Harry? And to think –if she hadn’t been showing off for Harry then none of this would have happened. She wouldn’t have realized her feeling for Harry were not real, nor would she have gotten over her adolescent crush on Harry either. But most of all, she wouldn’t have gotten to know Draco. Even if now he spurned her, this last month, awful as it sometimes was, nonetheless had been the best of her life. If only it hadn’t ended up this way. If only Draco had decided she was worth betraying his family. No, she couldn’t think that way, Draco wasn’t to blame, he had put first the responsibilities of his family. In his place, Ginny was sure she would have done the same. Besides, he had never said anything to suggest that he would neglect his family obligations in order to be with her. In fact, in his own way he’d tried to warn her: when he’d torn up her letter, when he’d made out with Pansy in the hall, and he’d even said it verbally, the warning in Hogsmeade. Yet it didn’t matter how many times he’d attempted to warn her, by then she was already in too deep to take heed. It was not his fault, the consequences rendered were the result of her own fallacy. She had merely wanted him to follow her into safety, she thought sadly. She just couldn’t bear the idea of him getting hurt anymore. It occurred to her for the first time that perhaps Draco had come to regret saving her. This thought upset her so much that she had to stop thinking about Draco altogether.

It was dark by now and Ginny, with a stifled yawn, crossed to her bed. She got under her covers, squirming until she found a comfortable position. It was so nice to be back home in her own bed. She drifted into a half-conscious slumber, so at first she didn’t hear the tapping.

* * * *
Tap tap tap

Gradually the repetition of the tap registered in Ginny’s brain. Slowly, she surfaced from the depths of her slumber. She rubbed her eyes, confused as to what had caused her to wake. She checked her clock, 11:41. Just as she was about to try to get back to sleep, Ginny finally became conscious of the tapping. She crossed to her window and lifted the shade. She jumped back, barely holding back the scream of shock.

Draco Malfoy sat outside her window. For a moment she stood there, frozen in confusion. However, Ginny’s practical nature soon took hold of her. She opened up her window, trying not to gape at Draco. With a sigh of relief, Draco climbed into her room. He was shivering, Ginny noticed. She relit her room with a murmured “Lumos”. She fought back a gasp as she realized Draco was covered in blood.

“Wha-wha-what happened Draco?” Ginny whispered urgently.

He opened his mouth to speak, but Ginny decided that tending to him was more important at the moment. She slipped from her room and mounted the stairs to the fifth floor, where Ron’s room was. She carefully eased the door open and tiptoed cautiously over to Ron’s bureau. She bypassed both Ron and Harry who were snoring with gusto. Ginny slowly opened the bureau and nicked some of Ron’s clothing. Once she crept out again, she breathed a sigh of relief. She made a detour to the bathroom, grabbing a washcloth and some medicine. Thus loaded, Ginny returned to her room. She saw Draco bending over her dresser, examining a music box her mother had given her six years ago. Draco straightened up with a start when he noticed her, a sudden tinkling sound told her that the music box was no more.

Draco looked significantly abashed, and Ginny said with a sigh, “It’s OK.” She tossed him the clothing. “Change, and I want to see any cuts.”

Draco looked scandalized, “I can’t change here. You’re here.”

“I’ll turn my back,” Ginny said. Boys.

“Just make sure you don’t peek,” Draco said with something that resembled a smirk.

Ginny turned her back to him, waiting.

“I’m done, you can look now.”

Ginny turned back and saw Draco wearing Ron’s pants, with the bottoms rolled up. He wasn’t wearing a shirt but the reason was obvious. On his chest was a large wound.

“Sit down on my bed,” Ginny said. She knelt beside him and dipped the washcloth into a potion. “This is gonna sting,” she warned him. “Squeeze my hand if you need to.” She offered him her hand. He took it with seeming reluctance. She dabbed at the cut, Draco gave a sharp intake of air and his grip on her hand tightened. “Where else are you hurt?” She asked.

He showed her his right forearm and she gasped. A snake’s head glowed on his bicep.

“Is that a?” Ginny asked, tracing the mark.

“It’s almost a Death Mark, yes,” Draco said, “My father tried to force me. He tried to make me a Death Eater. I would’ve done it too, I didn’t, don’t care about my life. I might as well be dead, but they wanted me to kidnap you, along with Harry- thinking Harry might not be good enough. I snapped,” he continued in a dead voice, a dazed, vacant look in his eye, “I fired every hex I knew at him, he fought back of course, but I beat him. I overpowered him and left him for dead. I hope he is dead. Then I grabbed my broom and left, and the only place I could think to go was here.”

Ginny shushed him and draped her blanket about him as he was shivering violently.

“I’m going to get you a drink of water,” Ginny said, slipping off.

In the bathroom Ginny filled a cup with tap water. As her robes brushed against the sink she heard a peculiar ‘clink’- like glass. She reached into her pocket, and her fingers grasped the vial of Amortentia. She took it out, and looked at it. The potion seemed to glow in the scantly lit room. Still thoughtful, she uncorked it. The aroma reminded her of clean laundry, the loamy, earthy smell after a heavy rain, and another scent, that Ginny realized with a jolt was Draco’s cologne.

It would be so easy to slip Draco the potion. He would love her. Well not real love, but he would adore her at least. Her hands trembled, and she grabbed the cup resolutely in one hand.

* * * *

“Drink this,” Ginny said, handing Draco the cup.

He drained it obediently.

“Ginny,” Draco said, “I have something I need to tell you. Tonight when my dad was forcing me to accept the Dark Mark, I would have done it, but for you. I knew if I took the Mark, you’d be disappointed in me…and I…owe everything to you. If I hadn’t met you, I would be ruined. You don’t know what it’s meant…having someone like you care about someone like me…”

Ginny stared at Draco, shocked. This was him saying these words, she hadn’t spiked his water with the love potion, so that meant that this was him speaking.

“I just wanted to tell you that,” Draco said. He took a few coins from his bloody robes and placed them in her palm. She protested but he gently closed her hand over the coins and said softly, “That’s for Ron, for the clothes.”

He leaned into her and kissed her. Ginny was startled, but didn’t pull back. Instead, it was Draco who broke short the kiss. He grabbed his broom and pulled open the window. He had one foot out the window when he paused and looked back at her. The moonlight framed his figure, turning his hair silver. His eyes, Ginny was shocked to see, looked haunted and were ringed with purple crescents. He looked haggard and solemn, so different from when she’d first met him.

“I just want you to know, that wherever I go, you’ll always be my girl.” His expression softened as he stared over at her.

Ginny had been so stunned by Draco’s seemingly impetuous decision that she hadn’t spoken, at last she found her voice.

“Draco, what are you doing?” She cried.

“I have to go,” he said, smiling sadly at her.

“No you don’t!”

“Ginny I have to leave now, I can’t stay-you wouldn’t want that.”

“Yes I would,” she insisted.

“No,” he said, solemn again, “Maybe now you think you want that, but soon I would become a nuisance to you. It’s for your own good.”

“Damnit! You’re a fucking bastard! You can’t tell me what I want! I thought you of all people would understand!” She was crying now.

“Understand what?” Draco said, puzzled.

“Understand that I don’t care whether you’re a fugitive. I thought you’d understand that I know what I want!”

“Ginny, you’re too young to know what you want,” Draco replied.

These were the wrong words.

“I’m not too young! I hate you Draco Malfoy! I hate you! You make me so angry! I love you! Get it through your thick skull!” She was punching him now, and crying.

Draco winced, she was pretty strong. The words she’d just screamed started to sink in, “Wait-you…love me?” He said in disbelief.

“Of course I do! How could I not? After all we’ve been through. If you go…I’ll…track you down!”

Draco picked up Ginny who was sobbing uncontrollably now. She pounded his neck with her fists. He sat her down gently on the bed.

“Do you really love me?” He asked her, almost tenderly.

“Are you deaf? I said I love you and I meant it. If you leave, I’ll…I’ll never forgive you!”

Draco smiled at her, brushing back her unruly curls. “How could I leave- I…I…love you,” he whispered the last two words, and he kissed her again.

“You do?” Ginny said, incredulously, sniffling now.

“Of course I do.”

“Then stay,” she said fiercely.

“But what about my father? What about Voldemort?”

Ginny put a finger to his lips. “We can worry about that tomorrow.” Then she fell asleep.

Draco tucked her in, and after a long hesitation, lowered himself down next to her. From where he lay he could see out Ginny’s window- the stars were easy to discern out here in the countryside. He found Draco the dragon. It was shimmering – so bright, so beautiful. Draco grinned sleepily, and his last thought before he fell asleep was that his wish had finally came true- he’d finally found happiness.



* * * * * *

THE END

* * * * * *

AN: I know the ending was lousy. I'm sorry.

AAN: I have 2 works coming up (in the fashion of this first story I’m going to finish the one and then start on the next one)
OK, a preview of my next two fics –

My next fic will be a story called “Of Ferrets and Weasels” - here’s like a snippet of the first chapter..



“Severus I have bad news. Someone was trying to get into my office. You know what that means…”

“But how did they find out?”

“I don’t know. But it’s not safe here.”

“Give it to me, I’ll be able to set up the necessary precautions.”

The rest of the conversation was drowned out by a bored drawling voice from behind her, [Ginny] “Weasel didn’t your parents ever teach you not to eavesdrop? But of course they were probably too busy begging in order to put food on the table to teach you any manners!”

Ginny whirled around, wand in hand. “Say that again, Malfoy,” she hissed, fury radiating off her in waves.

Draco opened his mouth, but hesitated.

“That’s right, Malfoy, say nothing. It seems that Ferrets have some sense.”

Draco whipped out his wand, “You filthy excuse for a pureblood. This is what I think of you!” He spat on the ground in front of Ginny with emphasis.



* * * *

As you might already see, this fic is gonna be darker, and more complex…It should be starting any day now.

* * * *

The sequel to this story (Dedicated of course to matt for getting the idea in my head and allowing me to toy with the notion and thus come up with this…)

Happiness Overshadowed

I haven’t started writing it yet but I’ve already got the summary for the whole story down. I don’t want to reveal anything but I’ll give you a general frame for the story…



Happiness Overshadowed starts where A Shot at Happiness left off, Draco and Ginny are fugitives, the 2 wizards most wanted by the Death Eaters…In order to avoid them, Draco and Ginny must go into hiding...in a muggle village in America. They have to cut off all contact with the wizarding world. They are starting to settle into their new life when strange things start to happen...



Yeah I didn’t want to give anything away so I basically told you nothing but that’s OK.

* * * * * *

OK, Reviews for A Shot at Happiness would be awesome!
The End.
Lady Dragon is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 39 members. Members who liked A Shot at Happiness also liked 1348 other stories.
Leave a Review