Disclaimer: Still as is

Last Chapter:
She told herself that it wasn’t as if Malfoy was about to lend her a hand anyway.

* * * * * *

Once they were out of the infirmary, Ginny expected Malfoy to take off for the Great Hall, anxious not to be seen in the company of a Weasley. However, what she was not expecting was for him to check his watch, a Rolex of course she snorted mentally, and then look at her and say, “We have plenty of time, breakfast is over in an hour.” That made it roughly 6:15 Ginny figured, as breakfast formally ended at 7:15, allowing 15 minutes for students to get to their first class, at 7:30. Then Malfoy shocked Ginny by grasping her arm gently. Startled, Ginny yanked her arm away, as if scalded.

“What are you doing?” Ginny demanded, scandalized.

Draco gave her a sickeningly sweet artificial smile and said, feigning shock, “But Madam Pomfrey said I’m to assist you.”

With a withering look, Ginny said, incensed, “Well I can assure you that I have no need for your ‘assistance’.” She turned her back on him, walking away.

Malfoy’s hand shot out, tightening in a vice-like grip on her upper arm. While Ginny struggled against his grip and demanded that he let go of her, he looked at her with aversion. Then, drawing her in to him, he whispered in her ear, “Don’t ever talk to me like that, wench, I saved your filthy life!” He then abruptly let go of her, causing her to fall backward onto the ground. He then stalked off. Ginny looked at him, astonished, as he disappeared in the direction of the Great Hall.

After picking herself up and dusting herself off, Ginny bridled with hatred for the blond-haired boy-just who did he think he was anyway? Besides being a smart-ass Slytherin punk, that is. She rushed after Malfoy, determined to confront him. She came to the main stairway where he was already almost at the bottom.

“Malfoy,” she shouted, glaring at his back. She expected him to turn around, but he simply ignored her. Sighing in frustration, she started to take the stairs two at a time, eager to overtake him. However, in her haste she stumbled and instantly started to fall down the stairs. Ginny had resigned herself to a second visit with Madam Pomfrey within a 24-hour period, when she was caught.

She looked up into Malfoy’s steel-gray eyes. They were currently glinting with something bordering amusement. In a voice laden with derision, Malfoy drawled, “Ginny, I’m starting to think that in light of your extreme clumsiness, it is nothing short of a miracle that you’ve survived as long as you have.”

Ginny mustered up a weak glare, but her relief showed through, Malfoy grinned at her attempt to look angry and said, teasingly, “I think that you’re doing this on purpose, it’s quite a winsome way to win a boy’s attention.”

Before Ginny could reply, a sharp, all too familiar voice said, “May I ask, Ginny, what in the HELL you’re doing in Malfoy’s arms?”

* * * * * *

Ginny and Malfoy both flinched in guilt. Turning, they saw Ron, face flushed with anger. Draco, let go of Ginny immediately, and she clattered to the ground.

“Malfoy,” Ron said through clenched teeth, “What were you doing holding my sister?” Ron’s hands were balled up in fists, and he was clenching them so tightly that they went white. He then turned his furious gaze upon Ginny to whom he asked the same question.

“We were….well I….you see…” Ginny stuttered, then finished lamely with “It’s not what it looks like.”

“Oh really,” Ron snarled, “Because to me it looks a lot like you being cuddled by the guy who I happen to despise!”

With a sneer, Malfoy drawled, “Luv you too Weasel King.” He topped it off by blowing Ron a kiss, then with a final cheeky wink at Ron, he turned heel and left.

Ron gaped at him, for once struck dumb by Malfoy. Ginny had never seen Ron’s ears so red. She stuck a fist in her mouth to stifle the giggling fit that had overtaken her at Malfoy’s words. A giggle slipped out and Ron turned on her with a vengeance. “And you,” he spat, glaring at her. “What the bloody hell were you doing with Malfoy? Are you two dating? How long has this been going on behind my back? You seemed so comfortable in his arms. Perhaps you forgot that you’re a Weasley and he’s a lousy Malfoy. Maybe you’ve lost your self-worth not to mention your shame and your dignity, but I sure as hell haven’t! I never thought you’d go sneaking around behind my back to be with that slime! Are you sleeping with him?

Ginny’s anger flared “WHAT?!? Ron you really are a moron! Not that it’s any of your business but I just tripped and Malfoy caught me. I can’t believe what you just accused me of! I just can’t believe it! Ronald Weasley you are the biggest, most insensitive git I have ever met! SOD OFF!” With that, she turned her back on her brother and stalked off.

Ron looked shocked, and for the second time in as many minutes, was at a loss for words. He opened his mouth to shout something at Ginny but stopped when a hand was laid on his shoulder. Harry, who, along with Hermione, had observed the whole scene, decided to intervene. “Let it go, Mate,” he said.

Ron’s shoulders slumped in defeat. He turned to Harry and said, bewildered, “What did I say?”
Leave a Review