This new room-her room, apparently-was quite a surprise. She had expected the same décor as in Draco's room, and what little she had been able to make out of the dim hallway. The wood was all stained so dark as to be nearly black, but this room was definitely brighter, and decorated in blue. It wasn't Ravenclaw blue, exactly. This was bit darker for the most part, with touches of light blue and white and the slightest hint of silvery gray. She sat in the center of the bed and studied this new room. The bed curtains and coverlet were deep blue velvet and very soft. A matching sofa was near the fireplace, accented by two chairs in the lighter blue. There were built-in bookshelves on either side of the fireplace, filled with expensive leather bound volumes. She stood up and walked across the room, trailing her fingers over the couch and studying the expensive rugs covering the smooth stone floor.

Were she to guess, she would venture that the walls were stone, but they had been covered in dark wood paneling about waist-high. Above the paneling they were covered in silk of some light hue, though she couldn't decide exactly what color that was. Up close it was almost white, in the shadows silvery gray, and from a distance, the overall effect was the lightest of blues. There was a vanity table trimmed in white lace to one side of the bed, and a fainting couch in the dominant dark blue velvet on the other side. Ginny turned the knob on a door she expected to lead to a closet and hissed in surprise at what she found. It was a closet, certainly, but it was nearly as big as the bedroom. She had to step up to get into the room. There was a dressing area to the left, complete with silk screens and another, smaller vanity table and chair, both painted white in contrast to the dark wood everywhere else.

To the right another door beckoned. Behind that one was the most luxurious bathroom Ginny had ever seen. Three stone steps led down to a magically warmed stone floor. A blue marble tub large enough for several people took up the far end of the room. It was, surprisingly, sunken into the large platform three more steps led to. She didn't really know what she had expected-some claw-footed monstrosity perhaps, or maybe something large and brass and bowl-shaped. White double sinks were set in a blue marble counter top. There was an extremely modern looking toilet (thank goodness the Malfoys weren't too good for indoor plumbing) and a large shower stall in the corner.

Almost in spite of herself, Ginny was drawn to the tub. Sure enough it was full, and the wisps of steam coming off the surface of the water were scented with something sweet and vaguely floral. Staring at the tub, feeling the steam caress her face, Ginny realized just how sore and stiff and extremely dirty she was. She tugged at what was left of her robes and prepared to step into the tub.

"Is Missy Never ready for the bath now?"

Ginny shrieked and spun around, hands flying to cover as much of her body as possible. The tiny house elf who had spoken fell to its-er, her-knees and pulled on pointy ears. "Oh, Tipsy is sorry. Tipsy should have come earlier." The creature's blue eyes filled with tears. "Tipsy must be punished," she said, banging her head against the nearest wall.

"Oh, no don't! Please stop!" Ginny grabbed the house elf and restrained her from harming herself further. "You just startled me."

"Oh, Missy Never is too kind. Tipsy is being a bad house elf." Ginny studied the small creature. She was tiny, about half the size of the house elves at Hogwarts and, in comparison, rather cute . . . for a house elf. Her nose was small and pointed and her large eyes and pointed ears reminded Ginny of a small dog she had seen once-a terrier of some sort. Something other than the bluish tint of her skin seemed strange though, and it took a moment for it to register that the house elf was wearing clothes.

"Oh! You're wearing a dress. Clothes! You've been freed!"

"No! Tipsy is a good house elf! Tipsy not freed!" The small being began to cry again.

"Oh, please don't cry. I never meant to insult you. I've just never met a house elf who wore clothes but hadn't been freed."

"Tipsy is only half house elf. Tipsy's father was being a Cornish pixie." The house elf seemed to realize something and gasped before jumping out of Ginny's grasp. "Oh, Tipsy is so sorry. Tipsy forget." She backed away and offered Ginny a curtsey. "I is Tipsy. Miss Nissa is saying Tipsy is being new lady's elf for Missy Never."

"I don't understand. Who?"

"Missy Never, Tipsy is being worried, now. Has Missy Never bumped her noggin?" Tipsy propped tiny hands on her hips and tilted her head to one side, studying Ginny carefully.

"This can't be right. I can't be this Missy Never you keep going on about. My name is Ginny Weasley."

"Yes. Missy Never. Missy Never Moddy Wheezy. Tipsy is being your servant now." Tipsy beamed, and clapped her hands together. "Now, Missy Never must be getting in tub before she catches cold. Tipsy will be getting towels and soaps for washing."

Ginny climbed into the tub, hissing a bit as the hot water made contact with the various scrapes and scratches that had been her almost constant companions in the last few months. She was beginning to wonder if she really had just 'bumped her noggin' and this was all a bizarre hallucination. That would certainly explain the odd impulse that had driven her to help Lucius Malfoy in the first place. She leaned back and winced as she discovered more bruises and scrapes she hadn't known about. No, definitely not a hallucination. Hallucinations couldn't possibly be so uncomfortable.

Tipsy returned bearing a stack of soft, fluffy white towels and a basket of various bottles and jars. When Ginny managed a closer look, she was a bit startled to find some of the most expensive soaps, shampoos, and lotions to be had in the magical world. Considering where she was, that fact made her more than a little uneasy. "Missy Never just relax, Tipsy is taking care of everything else." The tiny elf placed the stack of towels on the counter and the basket on the edge of the tub. "Oh, poor Missy Never, all banged up." Tipsy made a clucking noise and touched a small blue fingertip to the surface of the water which began to bubble and swirl, massaging Ginny's aching muscles. "Close eyes," Tipsy instructed, pouring some sort of bath salts from a lovely crystal container.

Ginny sighed contentedly, forgetting everything but the feeling of the warm water and the lovely smells rising in the steam. "Oh, that is heavenly." She only jumped a little when Tipsy's tiny hands began to massage her scalp.

"Missy Never be nice and clean and all healed up for meeting with Miss Nissa." The servant's pleased words jerked Ginny back into the reality of her situation. Cinnamon eyes snapped open and she sat up straight, damp hair falling over freckled shoulders.

"Oh, yes, Tipsy wash back now, Missy Never."

Ginny jerked quickly, turning to face the creature perched next to the basket on the edge of the tub. "No. I can do it." Tipsy wrung tiny blue hands her eyes began to shine with tears. Ginny sighed. "Please don't be upset, Tipsy. I've just never had a house elf before. It's a bit much to take in." The elf's lips began to quiver and she was edging toward the nearest cabinet door. Ginny bit back a groan. "All right, yes, please wash my back now and then you can go find me some more suitable clothes for this meeting." Tipsy beamed and set to work, scrubbing Ginny to within an inch of her life. The young woman doubted she had been so clean since she was a toddler and at her mother's mercy in the bath.

Nearly an hour later, her red gold hair shone in the flickering candlelight. Tipsy had pulled part of it back and secured it with an onyx clasp while she sat at the dressing table wrapped in a fluffy robe. After her hair had been tamed to the servant's satisfaction, Ginny had found herself being helped into layers of gauzy underthings and laced into a Renaissance-style gown of black and white silk trimmed in gold. A lightweight black velvet cloak to ward off the chill of the shadowed hallways was added last of all.

As if on cue, a steady rapping came at the door nearly as soon as she was dressed. The house elf bounded over and tugged the large door open, bowing low as Draco was revealed in the shadowy hallway. His eyes narrowed as he studied her appearance before nodding sharply. "I suppose this will have to do. It's more than I expected at any rate. See to the tea things Tipsy. Mother is in the drawing room." After dismissing the servant he looked expectantly at Ginny.

"Well Weasley, what are you waiting for? Mother abhors being kept waiting. It shows a lack of breeding." Ginny didn't miss the insults his voice cast at her, but she was honestly too tired to care. She followed Draco out of the room and through a maze of dark hallways, neither of them saying a word. By the time they had reached the drawing room, Ginny was grateful for the cloak. She sat in the chair indicated and stared at her hands until Draco left the room.
To Be Continued.
nsahdmdto is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Missy Never also liked 805 other stories.
Leave a Review