Chapter 7 – Family Reunions

There was a Death Eater in her kitchen, and Ginny stood horrified on the stairs. Draco was standing a step lower, and she gripped the arm he had used to steady her when she ran into him so tightly that she was sure he'd find the bruised impression of her fingers the next day.

If there was a next day.

If she was hurting him, Draco didn't indicate it as he stood so rigidly he didn't even seem to be breathing. Ginny realized that she had forgotten to breathe herself, and sucked in a great gulp of air, exhaling it as quietly as she could.

The Death Eater was pacing slowly along the side of the table, an inky silhouette in the moonlit kitchen. So far he, or she - Ginny couldn't tell - wasn't facing the stairs, but it was only a matter of the cloaked figure rounding the corner of the table before Ginny knew she and Draco would be spotted.

Ginny's first thought was that it wasn't fair, it was some sick joke of the gods to let her get all the way home before snapping back on the leash to let her know she wasn’t free after all.

Her second thought was that she would never go back to that dungeon; armed with her bare hands and all the fierceness and courage she had, she would fight. Because she would rather be dead than feel trapped like that again.

Draco apparently had no such melodramatic thoughts, for he had armed himself with Wormtail’s wand before exiting the bedroom, Ginny noticed with the faintest bit of hope. He was holding it at the ready with his free arm, the tightness of his grip the only thing that betrayed his nerves.

Tensely, the two watched as the Death Eater slowly rounded the table, one leather-gloved hand trailing fingers across its surface while the other hand carelessly waved a wand back and forth toward the floor. This was the moment Draco had been waiting for.

"Accio wand!" he said fiercely as the Death Eater's wand shot into his hand. He handed it off to Ginny as the Death Eater hissed in shock. Slowly, pointing his wand directly at the Death Eater's heart, Draco moved down the rest of the stairs into the kitchen, Ginny following closely behind. Now seeing who had attacked, the Death Eater began to laugh, a high-pitched, mad, cackling sound only slightly muffled by the white skull mask.

"Why it's my darling nephew!" the black-clad figure said, pulling off her mask and revealing the manic face of Bellatrix Lestrange. “How lovely to see you, Draco, even in such a hovel as this!"

"Aunt Bella," Draco said, his voice even.

"Why, nephew, I'd have thought you'd be happier to see me! What will your mother say when I tell her about this shocking lack of manners? Won't you even come give Auntie Bella a hug?"

"Not likely," Draco sneered.

"Ah, so sad!" Bellatrix said with mock concern in her voice. "But then again, you've always been such a disappointment to the family. Really, I'm ashamed there's any Black blood in you at all. It seems you've gone the way of Cousin Sirius and Cousin Regulus. And it looks like, once again, I have to take care of another family embarrassment. My curse, my destiny, it seems. But you know what they say - third time's the charm!"

"I might be more intimidated if you were actually armed, my dear Aunt. Even your wit is too dull to do any damage."

Bellatrix, rather than replying, began to giggle in a way that Ginny found very disconcerting.

"Incarcerous!" she cried, using Bellatrix's own wand against her. Thin cords snaked around Bellatrix's body, knocking her into a chair. She abruptly ceased laughing, and fixed Ginny with a furious stare.

"You’ll pay for that, blood traitor!" she spat venomously.

"I think not," Ginny replied boldly, stepping forward so that she was no longer shielded by Draco’s body. "I think you're the one who’s going to pay!"

Bellatrix snickered. "I think you're the one who's going to pay," she mimicked in a high-pitched little girl's voice. "Really, nephew, how do you stand to be in such insipid company?"

Ginny felt herself coloring. It hadn't been the best comeback, and she knew that if she had used it on any of her brothers, they would have laughed at her, too. Fred and George might have even threatened to disown her . . . .

Suddenly the back door flew open and everything was chaos. Ginny was hit with a disarming spell and landed with a thud on the floor, her head cracking sharply against the cabinet behind her. Wincing at the pain, she struggled to regain her feet, only to find herself being hauled up roughly by her hair. She cried out as a wand dug into her ribs.

Ginny's eyes had become accustomed to the moonlit kitchen and she saw that near the door, Draco was silently facing off with a third Death Eater. Both of them held their wands poised to strike, and though locks of his hair had fallen into his eyes, Draco made no move to push them away.

"Bellatrix, you fool!" spoke the cold, masculine voice of the Death Eater who held Ginny. "We told you to wait for us to finish checking the perimeter before going in. Look at you, captured by a couple of babies!"

"Mulciber, release me now! How dare you taunt me? The Dark Lord will hear of this!" Bellatrix shrieked.

Mulciber laughed maliciously. "That's right, Bellatrix. Go whine to the Dark Lord. I'm sure he'll be interested in how weak you are." Ginny felt the wand digging into her ribs let up as Mulciber undid the binding charm on Bellatrix, who stood up quickly and ran her hands down her robes, trying to regain her poise by smoothing out any wrinkles.

"You children are so predictable, you know," Bellatrix said. "We didn't even need to search for you - just as the Dark Lord told us would happen, you turned up here." She smiled. “Except there's no one here to help you, is there?"

Fear swept through Ginny. "Where's my family? What have you done with them?" she cried, trying to break away from Mulciber, who only yanked her hair harder.

"Why, we killed them of course! But not before a little torture. Ah, you should have heard your mother scream!" Bellatrix's smile had widened into a predatory grin, revealing sharp white teeth that glinted in the moonlight.

Mulciber laughed again. "And now it’s your turn," he said, emphasizing his words with another sharp jab of his wand into Ginny's ribs. Ginny felt herself go numb.

It can't be true. She's lying! She has to be lying!

"But we don't come bearing all bad news," Bellatrix continued. "My dear nephew, the Dark Lord has been gracious enough to offer you a second chance!" Draco, still concentrating all his attention on the Death Eater in front of him, didn't give any indication that he heard what was being said to him.

"Damn it, Rookwood! Lower your wand - I'm trying to have a conversation here!" Bellatrix exclaimed in exasperation. Reluctantly, the Death Eater facing off with Draco lowered his wand.

"Have him drop it and I'll be happy to listen to you, Aunt Bella," Draco said without shifting his position.

Both Bellatrix and Mulciber laughed. "Do as he says, Rookwood," commanded Mulciber. Mumbling something too low for Ginny to hear, Rookwood complied, dropping his wand to the floor by his feet.

"All right, Aunt. What is the Dark Lord's offer?" Draco asked.

Bellatrix smiled nastily. "Quite generous, really. You'll be welcome back into the fold if you'll perform a simple task to prove your loyalty."

Draco raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

"Yes, that's right, Draco," said Mulciber, his voice suddenly silky and coaxing. "Simply kill this little blood traitor here," - he shook Ginny by the hair - "and you can once again stand with us."

Draco was silent a moment. "So all I have to do is kill the Weasley bint, and I may return to our Lord's side?" he finally asked.

Bellatrix smiled broadly. "That's right, Draco. Surely even you can manage to kill an unarmed girl."

Draco shrugged. "Stand back, Mulciber. You wouldn't want me to accidentally hit you, would you?"

Mulciber gave a low chuckle and took a step away from Ginny.

"Well, Weasley, it's been fun," Draco said, his eyes meeting hers for the first time since the Death Eaters entered the kitchen. Ginny felt frozen, paralyzed with shock. Would he really kill her?

Of course he would - he’s a Malfoy! Anything to save his own skin, thought a part of her. Ginny swallowed hard. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing her fear, of seeing the heart-rending hurt she felt at his betrayal, she decided, squaring her shoulders and holding his gaze. If he wanted to kill her, he'd have to do it while looking her right in the eye.

"What are you waiting for, Malfoy?" she asked quietly, trying to keep her voice even.

Draco only sneered at her. Then with a dramatic swish of his wand, he let off a spell - only he aimed wide of Ginny and sent Mulciber crashing to the floor unconscious.

"Run, Ginny!" Draco shouted as both Bellatrix, swearing like a sailor, and Rookwood scrambled for their wands. Ginny didn't need to be told twice, but just as she was headed for the door, chaos erupted in the kitchen for the second time. The doorway was suddenly filled with people as a series of spells crackled through the kitchen. After a few minutes of shouting and struggling, the kitchen fell into silence and the smoke began to clear. Ginny found herself in her father's arms, being squeezed almost painfully as he said her name over and over again.

"Dad!" she cried. "They said you were dead!" Ginny began to cry, the relief of once again seeing her father overwhelming her.

"Thank Merlin you're all right, Ginny! Thank Merlin we got to you in time!" exclaimed Arthur Weasley, stroking his daughter's hair reassuringly. Ginny gave him a tearful smile and glanced around her. The kitchen was filled with members of the Order of the Phoenix: Lupin, Mad-Eye Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley Shacklebolt were all smiling at the emotional reunion of father and daughter.

"Wotcher, Ginny!" said Tonks brightly. "Good to see you again!"

"Well, Arthur, it looks like two of them got away – true to form they ran like cowards. But this one seems to have been disabled before we even got here," said Lupin, indicating Mulciber's still form on the floor.

"Draco hit him with a stunning spell," Ginny said appreciatively, glancing at Draco, who stood tensely in the corner of the room. Her words brought everyone's focus to him, and he drew himself up haughtily, as if expecting a nasty comment.

"Well done, Malfoy," said Lupin quietly. Mad-Eye grunted in agreement. Draco looked surprised, and was speechless.

"I'll take this one back to the Ministry with me for processing before the trip to Azkaban," said Shacklebolt. "I must say, Arthur, it's a very good thing those harmful intent wards around the house worked. This might have turned out very badly otherwise."

Mr. Weasley shuddered, the thought too terrifying to contemplate. Shacklebolt, with Mulciber in tow, disapparated.

"Tonks," said Mr. Weasley, turning to the green-haired witch, "will you escort Ginny back to headquarters? We'll be following shortly."

"Wait," Ginny said, "what about Draco and Kevin and Lizzie? Aren't we all going together?"

"Kevin and Lizzie?" asked Lupin.

"They're upstairs sleeping. They were with us. We all escaped together."

"Uh, actually, we're awake now," Kevin said, coming down the stairs and into view, Lizzie right behind him. "We weren't sure if it was safe," he said a bit sheepishly.

"It's safe," Ginny said, smiling broadly. "This is my dad, and this is Professor Lupin, and Tonks, and Mad-Eye."

"Nice to meet you all," said Lizzie shyly.

"We had no idea four of you escaped," said Tonks, a note of wonder in her voice. "When the wards went off, we assumed it was just Ginny being attacked. We didn't even know she was alive until then. This is really amazing! What an adventure you must have all had!"

"Amazing indeed," said Lupin more quietly. "Then, Tonks, take Ginny with these two" - pointing to Kevin and Lizzie - "and we'll follow soon."

"Why not Draco as well?" exclaimed Ginny. "He's on our side now. What happened to Dumbledore isn't his fault - they were going to kill him and his family! He's saved all of our lives - we never would have made it here without him! You can't send him to Azkaban, you can't!" Ginny moved away from her father to stand protectively in front of Draco. Kevin and Lizzie joined her.

"It's true, sirs. We never could have done it without Malfoy," said Kevin. Lizzie began to cry.

"Please don't send him away," she said, "he's nice when you get to know him. I like him, even though I didn't at first."

Lupin and Arthur exchanged a smile.

"Well, Malfoy, it looks like we owe you much already," said Mr. Weasley.

"Don't worry, Ginny," Lupin said. "We're not sending Malfoy anywhere. We just need to talk to him privately. And we need to let you and Tonks prepare for his reception at headquarters. There are some there who will be less than enthusiastic about his arrival."

Ginny sighed with relief and silently agreed with Lupin. She didn't even want to imagine how Ron and Harry were going to take it, considering their hatred for Draco. This is not going to be pretty, she thought.

Turning to Draco, she gave him a reassuring smile. "Will you be okay?" she asked.

"Of course," he said dryly.

"Thank you," she whispered. "For not killing me, I mean. For giving up your chance to go back."

"Did you really think I would?" he asked. "Ginny, I -"

"Ready there, Ginny?" Tonks interrupted. Draco held Ginny's eyes as she replied affirmatively.

"Right then," said Tonks, grasping Ginny's shoulder with one hand while her other arm hooked around Kevin and Lizzie. Without another word, she disapparated, taking her three charges with her.

-----


Ginny wasn't sure which was more painful, side-along apparition or the look in Draco's eyes as she disappeared. She, Tonks, and the Pullmans were standing on the pavement in front of Grimmauld Place.

"Here, kids, look at this," Tonks said, showing Lizzie and Kevin a slip of parchment containing the address of the Order of the Phoenix.

Right, because they've never been here before. They can't see it, thought Ginny, remembering last summer, when she had to be shown the address herself.

"Whoa," said Kevin, his eyes widening as he looked at space between numbers eleven and thirteen.

"Great!" smiled Tonks. "Let's get inside. I'm sleepy!"

There was no way sleep was possible inside the Black residence, however. The entrance hall was awash with light and crowded with people. Ginny didn't even have a chance to admire the drastic improvements to the once decrepit mansion before she was assaulted by what seemed to be a band of red-haired savages. She felt herself being crushed under multiple bear hugs and tugged back and forth into her family members' arms as her mother, the twins, Ron, and Bill all welcomed her home. Everyone was crying and shouting at once. Even the Pullmans found themselves being passed around and hugged joyously.

It took nearly an hour for the three to recount their adventure and calm the near hysterical Molly Weasley, who insisted that Ginny sit on her lap and refused to release her firm grip on her.

Ron, with Hermione by his side, reacted predictably to the news that Draco Malfoy would be shortly joining them.

"Bloody hell! He’s an evil wanker!" he exclaimed.

"Ronald Bilius Weasley! I will not have that language used in this house! Shame on you, in front of children no less," Mrs. Weasley admonished.

"I don't know, Ron," said Hermione thoughtfully. "It does sound like he's made a bit of a turn around. And we owe him Ginny's life, it seems."

"Hermione!" Ron replied, looking at the girl he loved as if she had sprouted horns and an elephant's trunk. Hermione only shrugged. Ginny smiled at her gratefully. If anyone can bring the boys around, it's Hermione, she thought. But speaking of the boys . . . .

"Where's Harry?" she exclaimed, suddenly noticing his absence.

"About bloody time," Ron muttered accusingly under his breath.

"He wasn't sure you'd want to see him, Ginny," said Mrs. Weasley. "You know how Harry is - he blames himself for you being taken, and for being unable to rescue you. But I know he wants to see you. He's down in the kitchen, if you'd like to go to talk to him."

Ginny gulped, the thought of facing Harry at once frightening and thrilling.

"I'll go to him," she said, her voice sounding much calmer than she felt. She made her way to the kitchen as her mother ushered the Pullmans upstairs to bed, assuring them that they'd be reunited with their parents first thing in the morning.

"Harry?" Ginny called, slowly pushing the kitchen door open.

"I'm here," Harry whispered, looking up at her from his seat at the table. He looked completely broken-hearted as he clutched his mug of butterbeer.

"Oh, Harry!" Ginny exclaimed, throwing her arms around him. He was still for a moment before returning her embrace. With a friendly squeeze, Ginny pulled away and sat down beside him.

"I'm so sorry, Ginny," Harry mumbled, not daring to look at her.

"For what? It's not your fault I was stupid enough to go wandering in the woods alone and get myself kidnapped."

"It is, it is! I should have been with you! I should have come after you! Ginny, I thought you were dead!"

"No such luck," Ginny said with a smile. "You'll have to put up with me for a while longer it seems."

"It's not funny, Gin," he replied, a stricken look on his face. "I thought I lost you for good."

"Oh, Harry, I'm sorry. That was thoughtless - I know it's not funny."

"Ginny, there's something I need to say to you," Harry replied, standing up and pulling Ginny up by the shoulders. "I made a big mistake. I didn't realize how much I need you, how much you mean to me. I shouldn't have broken up with you. I want us to be together again, just like we were."

Ginny shifted on her feet uncomfortably.

"But I thought you said I'd be safer if we weren't together. I thought you needed to concentrate all your time on defeating Voldemort."

"I need you by my side, Ginny. And I swear to you, I will never let anything happen to you again. I don't know how you managed to get back here alive, but I won't let my second chance slip away. Everything is going to be better now, Ginny."

"Harry -"

Ginny's attempt to protest was silenced with a fierce kiss as Harry pushed his way passed her lips and thrust his tongue into her mouth. Ginny was momentarily startled, and the familiarity of Harry's mouth on hers washed over her. She found herself kissing him back, only dimly aware of the sloppiness of his kiss and the painful way he was gripping her shoulders. Suddenly, the image of Draco, his steely eyes soft and his hair falling across his forehead as he made love to her, flashed through Ginny's mind. Frantically, she pushed away from Harry.

"Harry, wait," she breathed, but Harry wasn't listening to her. Instead, he was staring intently over her shoulder. An icy jolt gripped Ginny's body as she realized what she would see when she turned around.

"Draco," she whispered, facing the tall blonde figure who stood in the doorway.

"So sorry to interrupt, Weasley . . . Potter," he spat before turning on his heel and disappearing.

"Oh, no, no," Ginny moaned under her breath.

"What's wrong, Gin? What is that bastard doing here?" Harry asked.

"Not now, Harry. I have to go." Harry stared after Ginny in surprise as she ran from the kitchen.

"Poor girl," he murmured, sitting back down to finish his butterbeer. "She's still traumatized from her ordeal. I shouldn't have pushed her. Tomorrow, then."

-----


Ginny raced after Draco's retreating form.

"Draco," she breathed, "wait! Please let me explain!" He rounded on her.

"What's to explain, Weasley? You've come home - it's only natural that you'd seek out your boyfriend, no matter how pathetic he is."

"No, Draco, that's not what I was trying to do!"

"Spare me the details. I have no interest in your filthy love life."

"How can you say that?" Ginny asked, a hurt look on her face.

Draco laughed. "You mean after last night?" he made a derisive noise in the back of his throat. "I hope you didn't think that meant something, Weasley."

"Of course it means something. I love you! You love me!"

Draco abruptly stopped laughing, an emotionless mask slipping over his face. "Now I never said that, did I, Weasley?" he asked softly. He allowed himself to smirk slightly. "No, you were just a bit of fun. I wondered if I could get the girl Weasley into bed. Really, I thought you might be a bit of a challenge, but it was too easy. A bit of the sad, defeated act and you were begging for it. Did you think you could save me, Weasley? Were you going to make me a better man?" Draco laughed. "Potter should come thank me - I've broken you in for him."

Ginny felt like a knife had just sliced through her.

"You don't mean that, Draco. I know you don't,” she whimpered, reaching out to touch his chest. He jumped back as if she were fire, and the stoniness of his countenance was suddenly replaced by a look of rage.

"Don't you dare touch me! And don't you dare address me so familiarly! You are nothing to me, do you understand? Now run back to your hero - let him comfort you!" he snarled. Turning from her, he disappeared around the corner.

Stricken, Ginny sank to the floor in the middle of the hallway.

"He doesn't mean it. He doesn't mean it," she whispered over and over again as she rocked back and forth, her tears running unchecked down her face. She was all alone in the hall, and her words brought her no comfort.
Leave a Review