She loved the way his arms wrapped around her as she slept. It comforted her to know that she was sheltered in the long hours of the night and she slept easier knowing that anything trying to reach her would have to go through him first. It was the only time she truly felt safe.

When she woke, with his hands tangled in her hair and her leg between his, she knew there was no place she would rather be. She would smile with her eyes squeezed shut and her nose filled with the scent of him, more content then she ever thought possible.

On mornings like these she could lay for hours in his warm embrace, forgetting that she lived in a cramped flat with sagging furniture and a mattress on the floor. Sometime she would snuggle her check against his chest and marvel in the difference between their skin.

It hadn’t always been this way. There had been a time when her life had not involved him. But that was a part of her past she didn’t like to dwell on. Back then she had had a future and a family to share it with. And she would have rather died then spend the night wrapped in the enemy’s arms. But long years separated her from the girl she was then with such an idealized view of black and white.

She couldn’t remember when she had changed, when her losses had outweighed the teachings of her youth. All she knew was that one day she had looked up from her misery into a pair of burning grey eyes and it hadn’t mattered one bit that he was forbidden.

Then, like now, all that mattered was that his smile and the knowledge that somewhere in his eyes she smiled back.
The End.
lielabell is the author of 14 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Night Before also liked 1129 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Under God's Sky. The next story in the series is In the Pale Moonlight.
Leave a Review