A/N: the standard disclaimer applies to the whole story.



Four Weddings and A Funeral



Ch 1: Pansy and Neville




Ginny Weasley had been out of school for four years. She knew this was coming. All of her friends were getting married. The war was long over, the Death Eaters all rounded-up and imprisoned or killed.

Now was the time for merriment and celebration. Ginny was happy for her friends, but it didn’t make up for the fact that she was still single and was on the road to being ‘always a bridesmaid, never a bride.’

Luckily, she was not 'in' this wedding. She was just enjoying it as a guest. She was happy for Neville. Pansy was good for him, but she and Pansy would never be great friends.

Pansy and Neville had been together for one year but were so head-over-heels in love they had rushed their wedding.

Ginny sat in the pew of the chapel with Hermione and Ron. They had finally gotten hitched two years ago and were currently expecting their first child. Hermione was six months pregnant and quite the sight with the large belly on her petite frame.

Ginny looked around and saw many familiar faces, mostly from Hogwarts. One face inparticular stood out under the mop of white blond hair. Draco Malfoy! He was grinning at her!

Sure he’d ended up under the protection of the Order and had saved his mother and helped Harry and the Order triumph over Voldemort, but she’d never said so much as ‘hello’ to him while all that was going on.

Ginny realized she was staring and gave a strained smile before turning back towards the front of the chapel, waiting for the ceremony to begin.

*

After the wedding, a wonderful reception was held out in the garden. Pansy's wedding planner had arranged for quite the elaborate decorating and a fabulous buffet overflowing with delicious foods. Ginny perused the buffet and sat with Harry and the rest of the ‘gang.’

Slowly, people began to dance. Harry found his way over to Parvati Patil. Ron and Hermione danced awkwardly around her growing belly.

Ginny sat by herself, not feeling like talking to anyone. She was still in Healer training and it was tough, long days and long nights of work, with far too few breaks and days off.

“Care to dance?” asked a voice not to far from her ear. Ginny turned startled to find Draco Malfoy nose to nose with her, offering his arm.

“I’d… sure,” she nodded and stood, taking his arm. He led her gracefully to the dance floor and they joined in with other couples twirling around.

They were silent the first few moments of their dance, Draco and Ginny taking turns looking at each other and at the crowd around them.

“So how have you been? I haven’t seen you since I graduated,” Malfoy said.

“Oh, well fine. Ron and Hermione are making me an Aunt and I am in Healer training which is intense to say the least. What about you?”

“Just taking care of the family effects and such. Recently I seem to be attending a good deal of functions like this. I knew this day would come but I’ve never looked forward to it.”

“What? Pansy’s wedding day?” Ginny asked, confused.

Draco threw his head back, laughing. “No no! All of my friends getting married, moving into the next phase of life. Having to attend all these weddings is making me feel…”

“Old?” Ginny suggested smugly.

“Well yes even though I am not- we are not. It’s just eye-opening to how time is flying past.”

“Yes. I agree with you on that. I’ve been lucky so far. This is the first wedding I’ve been to that wasn’t for one of my brothers. But there are a bunch coming up over the next long while.”

“Ah yes. I’ve seen the announcements in the paper.” The music ended and Pansy’s father announced the next phase of festivities, including the sending off of the bride and groom. Ginny thanked Draco for the dance and headed back to find her brother and her sister-in-law.

*

Draco Malfoy watched the young redhead walk away after she thanked him graciously for the dance. Ginny Weasley hadn’t really changed in the past four or so years. She’d always been a good-looking girl, but she was a career woman now and it made her even more appealing.

Being in Healing was regarded as a highly technical and difficult field. It took an enormous amount of N.E.W.T's and four years of training plus another three years of residency, in which Healers were supervised closely by Senior Healers.

Draco shook his head and chuckled quietly to himself. This was going to be an interesting few months. He knew Ginny was in the final stages of her Healer training and didn’t have a lot of free time. But he also knew he was going to see her as much as he could and do his best to win the heart he’d wanted for so long.



***
A/N:
This is just going to be a cute, fluffy short story. I am currently going to a lot of weddings and mine was just last year so they are fresh on my mind. I think wizarding weddings would be incredible! I'll get into more details with them too I promise.
Leave a Review