Ch 2: Luna and Gregory

Draco was running late. He’d had a last minute meeting that he could not miss and it was fifteen past six. Gregory Goyle’s wedding rehearsal had been going for fifteen minutes and his best man was not there yet.

Draco apparated to the rehearsal location and prepared himself for a good tongue-lashing for his lateness. However, to his surprise, everyone was standing around laughing and talking.

“Oh! There he is! Oy, Draco!” Greg Goyle bellowed as he rushed over to Draco and patted him on the back.

“I’m so sorry Greg, last minute meeting-”

“Oh it’s quite all right. We’ve been having a grand ole time. This is a celebration after all, yes? Come on everyone, let’s get started and then we can all go eat!”

Draco hadn’t had a chance to really glance around him. Once he was shown his position in the front of the hall, he watched as Luna Lovegood’s bridesmaids filed in. Greg and Luna- that one had been a surprise to everyone but once those two had worked together for the ministry, they had become fast friends and lovers.

Draco came back to the present as he saw a familiar flash of red hair strolling down the aisle towards him. Ginny Weasley was last in- that made her the Maid of Honor. He’d be escorting her out. It could not be more perfect if he’d planned it.

*

Ginny smiled softly at the handsome blond man who was in her position on the groom’s side. It had been nearly a month since she’d seen him at Pansy and Neville’s wedding and she’d received a beautiful bouquet of silver, white, and red roses at the hospital one day while she was working the week after that wedding.

The card had simply said ‘Beautiful flowers for a beautiful young lady. Thanks for the dance.’ No name. Ginny had been very surprised by this gesture and also slightly embarrassed. Everyone at the hospital now thought she had a suitor who she was hiding from them.

What was Draco playing at anyway, sending her flowers? She’d heard through the grapevine, as they say, that he had dated a little but mainly focused on his work. She’d always assumed he had women that were there whenever he wanted them and not given it much thought. Surely he didn’t think he’d get her as one of his little flings.

She saw hi smile at her and returned it quickly then focused on the matter at hand. She kept her gaze on Luna and Gregory Goyle and the portly little Wizard, his name she did not know, who was in charge of the ceremony.

*

The rehearsal dinner was a sit-down dinner and there were name cards at each table. Ginny found her name with the rest of the wedding party. The Bride and Groom were sitting with their family. She took a glance at the name card at the place setting next to hers. Draco Malfoy it said. ‘Should have known,’ she thought.

“Well hello again,” a voiced cooed as the chair next to her slid from under the table and Draco sat down, grinning.

“Hi yourself. I’m glad you are here,” she began.

“You are? Well I am glad you are here as well.”

Ginny blushed. “I got your flowers and wanted to thank you properly. I didn’t know where to send a card,” she lied, thinking that was a really lame excuse.

“I thought you’d appreciate them, what with all your long days at the hospital,” he smiled, obviously satisfied with himself.

“Yes. They brightened my day. My co-workers think I’ve got a boyfriend I am not telling them about though.”

“Oh? I didn’t embarrass you, did I?”

“No. But you gave them reason to tease me, which they love. But I don’t mind. I work with great people and with the sort of situations we deal with, laughter is always welcome.”

She was relieved when the other party members took their seats and the dinner was served. She did enjoy continuing to talk to Draco, as well as everyone else during the dinner, but for some reason she had been nervous talking to Draco when he’d first sat down.

She excused herself after dinner, since she had worked early that morning and really needed to get home and rest before the wedding the following day. She disapparated home after saying good-bye to Luna and Greg, but not to anyone else.

*

The next day, Ginny apparated to Luna’s early to help her get ready. Luna’s wedding robe was simple and elegant. It was silk with beading around the scoop neck top and the shell-shaped train. Ginny and the other bridesmaids were wearing similar gowns in pale blue with no train.

“So I heard from Greg that Draco had a great chat with you last night at dinner,” Luna said, eyeing her dear friend. Ginny blushed.

“Oh... yeah. He’s different now I suppose, than when we were in school.”

“And what is this I hear about him sending flower’s to St. Mungo’s?”

“Well that… we danced at Neville’s wedding and we talked about work and such and he knows how hard Healer training is and it was a nice gesture.”

Luna smirked. “So, he’s making a play for you then?” Ginny waved her hand, dismissing the idea.

“No. He’s just… he just being Malfoy. He probably thinks I am another girl he can have at his beck and call. Well he just as another thing coming then doesn’t he?” she laughed.

“What do you mean?”

“Obviously, Luna, I am not going to be one of his little… what do they call it… ‘booty calls.’” Luna looked at Ginny, quizzically. “Oh, on muggle television I saw them call a girl that one time when some bloke was drunk and got home and you know… wanted a bit of action. That’s what they call them. I am not going to be that girl.”

“And you think that is what Draco wants?”

“Duh Luna. Think about it- he’s a totally eligible bachelor and yet hasn’t had a girlfriend to speak of in ages! I mean come on- my mom knows everything about everyone and she says he’s not been serious about anybody! So obviously he fulfills his… needs and that’s that.”

“And what about you little miss? You’ve not had a boyfriend in ages either. Is that what you do? Go around finding blokes to…”

Ginny rolled her eyes, laughing. “Well of course not! I mean I work a lot, don’t I? I haven’t the time for boyfriends. I mean really, it isn’t as if guys don’t ask me out because they do but I just don’t have the time to-”

“Maybe Draco doesn’t either,” Luna shrugged.

*

The wedding ceremony went off without a hitch. Draco’s breath caught in his throat when he saw Ginny walking down the aisle towards he and the other groomsmen in the pale blue robes that hugged all the right places and complimented her skin tone and hair, making her glow. Her dusting of auburn freckles stood out, completing the glow.

Ginny Weasley was a vision indeed. How no one had snatched her up yet was beyond Draco. She looked like a goddess, like an angel. He could barely tear his eyes from her during the ceremony and once it was over, was very nervous at the thought of touching her arm to escort her down the aisle after the bride and groom.

He managed to do so gracefully and without letting his nervousness show. She smiled graciously at him and they went their separate ways for the party entrance to the reception.

Draco watched as Ginny laughed and joked with her friends during the reception but kept his distance until he felt the moment was right. He saw her take a seat alone to have some cake.

“Hello there,” he said, taking the seat next to her.

“Hi, lovely wedding wasn’t it?” she smiled.

“Yes, it was. And so are you. You look ravishing in that dress.”

Ginny blushed. “You clean up well yourself, Malfoy,” she said, looking him up and down in his dress robes a bit more obviously than she’d meant to.

“I was hoping we could share another dance once you are done with the cake,” he asked hopefully.

Ginny nodded her head in agreement and when she finished the cake, she allowed Draco to take her arm and lead her to the dance floor.

“You left the dinner last night before I got a chance to ask you to have dinner with me sometime,” Draco grinned as he twirled her around the dance floor, weaving in and out of other couples.

Ginny shut her eyes, knowing this was why she had left without talking to him. She had avoided him. “I had an early day yesterday. And then with all the activities of last night, I was just worn out,” she explained.

“Ah yes I see. But you haven’t answered my question.”

Darn it. Ginny wasn’t able to dodge that bullet. “It’s such a nice offer! I really wish I could but training is so intense and I am nearing examinations. I’m afraid I would lack in conversation as a dinner companion.”

“Oh I doubt that. I remember loud, bubbly Ginny Weasley from Hogwarts. You’re conversational skills could never suffer.” Ginny laughed. She had been loud and boisterous in school- that fact didn’t even get past Draco Malfoy.

“I guess I was loud, eh?”

“Yes. But one could tell you were happy and that was a fact to be envious of.”

“Hm… after my first year yes. Listen Draco, it’s flattering, this attention from a guy like you but right now… it’s just not a good time,” Ginny began.

“You don’t want to go to dinner with me,” he looked at her as though he knew deep down she really did want to.

“Well I would but it’s just… it’s rather complicated.”

Draco frowned. “Is it because of who I am?”

“No. No it’s not that,” she lied. “I know you ended up doing wonderful things for the Order and helped out a lot in our side winning and all. I just have a lot going on. My job is very important to me and Healing is a tough trade to learn. I don’t need distractions.”

“I see,” Draco said, still frowning. “Well what if it was to be just a friendly dinner. Two friends having dinner so one can have a nice, relaxing time and get away from her tense days?” He offered.

‘We’re not even friends,’ Ginny thought. “I just don’t think it would be a good idea,” Ginny stated as the music was winding down. The band director announced it was time to see the Bride and Groom off. Ginny dropped her arms from Draco’s shoulders.

“Thank you for the dance, and again for the flowers. I’ll see you,” she said and hurried off before he could say another word.
Leave a Review