A/N: BIG HUGE THANKS to a great beta- Maggs!!!
The idea for this story comes from an Episode of LOST, from the first season, called SOLITARY which gives a backstory on Sayid. It is darker than anything I have done before and so far as required a lot of time and thought- thus I can't promise fast updates. I hope you guys like it!!! :)




1.

Draco Malfoy stood with his legs slightly spread and his arms folded behind his back. He regarded the subject in front of him calmly.

“Do you want me to stop?” he snarled, bending down to the man’s ear. The man nodded. “Then start answering my questions,” he hissed and paused to let his words sink in, “because I can do this all day.”

The man in the chair, his hands bound behind his back, blood dripping from various wounds, said nothing.

“I assure you we already know the truth and if you admit it all, the pain will stop.”

The man merely sniffed and said nothing, letting his tears fall.

“Your friends have already implicated you in the explosions. You planted the device in the headquarters. You killed two of the Dark Lord’s High Chiefs. Confess and perhaps it will only cost you your hands or your eyes instead of your life,” Draco drew his wand and faced his subject, eying him menacingly. The man stifled a cry.




*



Draco Malfoy walked beside a man not much larger than he was, who wore the same robes but with two more skulls and three more stars than Draco had.

“He doesn’t know anything. Your sources were wrong,” Draco sighed.

“But that’s really not the point is it?” his commanding officer replied. “You handled yourself very well in there.”

“Did I?” Draco queried, merely looking ahead.

“I have put in a recommendation for your reassignment to the Intelligence forces, if you still wish to move.”

“Yes sir. Absolutely,” Draco stopped and eyed the other man, smirking.

“Good, and stop calling me sir when it is just the two of us.”

“Ah but you are my superior officer, Renaldi. For now.”

“Ah yes, for now.” Tomasz Renaldi laughed quietly and returned Draco’s smirk. He began to speak, but a figure being led by them distracted Draco. “That reminds me- in addition to your increased responsibilities, a promotion is commensurate with your move. That is, if you won’t miss being a Guard.”

Two guards were leading a prisoner whose hands were bound in front of her. Cinnamon brown eyes met ice gray as she was pushed past him. There was something vaguely familiar about those eyes. Her dark bronze hair was dirty, as were her face and robes, but Draco could tell she was an attractive woman. He also realized he had not yet answered Renaldi.

“I suppose I am willing to make that sacrifice,” he nodded, chuckling. He hated his work as a guard. Standing there day and night, watching doors, it was really quite boring.

“Good,” Renaldi said and saluted him. Draco returned the salute and left.




*



Draco sighed as he entered his office and dropped his head down into his hands. He hated this- all of this. It had been nearly eight years since he’d left school and nearly been killed for not killing Dumbledore. Severus Snape had saved him from the Death Eaters then, but Snape was dead now. Snape had been discovered to be a spy for the Order and had been duly executed.

The Death Eaters then turned on Malfoy, thinking he was an Order spy as well. He was saved by Veritaserum, which proved he had not, in fact, been involved in any way with the Order. He had then been granted the lowly post of Death Eater messenger boy. He took the job because he wanted to live.

All too quickly, horrible things had happened. Voldemort had grown stronger and rose to power. With Dumbledore dead (this having been part of a plan by the Order which failed miserably), Voldemort and his followers had had no problems taking over the Ministry. He had the Giants, the Vampires, the Dementors, and other foul creatures all on his side.

Harry Potter had fled to Godric’s Hollow. He and his friends had tried to fight against the Dark Lord, but with all of Voldemort’s newly found alliances and the ease by which he controlled witches and wizards via the Imperius curse, battle for them. The last he’d heard of the ‘wonder trio,’ they’d fled to the States.

The Dark Lord had taken over almost all aspects of Wizarding life. Durmstrang had become his headquarters and the Ministry of Magic was his second home.

Hogwarts, its many secrets never having been broken by the Death Eaters, remained an Order strong hold. But the Order was dying out fast. It wouldn’t be long until this war would end and Lord Voldemort would have complete control.

Attacks on Wizards and Muggles alike were fairly common these days. The foolish Muggles always suspected people from this country or that. The Wizarding war was quite well covered by the wars that were waged between the Muggles.

Draco had been a Messenger until he turned twenty. He was no longer a rich man living a life of luxury- he was poor and almost had to beg for food. It made him hate the cause he was working for all the more, but he knew he had nowhere else to go. His father had died in Azkaban and his mother had killed herself five years ago.

Before that, Narcissa had given Malfoy Manor over to the Dark Lord’s services, leaving Draco and herself virtually homeless. Of course, Voldemort had allowed them to have the servant’s quarters.

Draco moved up from Messenger to Prison Clerk because of his good behavior. He never went out of his way, but he always did as he was told. He knew better than to not do so. For the past two years, he had been a Guard in the dungeons of Durmstrang where the prisoners were kept.

He was looking at moving over into Intelligence and had been given a shot at interrogation. He found he was quite good at it. He wanted to go back to the comfortable life he had lived before the war, so, while he didn’t really care for one side or the other, he played the part of the loyal Death Eater.

His thoughts strayed back to the woman he had seen being taken in. She seemed so very familiar. It had been a while since Draco had seen a reasonably attractive woman, any women at all for that matter; so he chalked his hazy recollections down to that fact and let it go.

Women weren’t something he thought of often, these days. Saving his hide and staying in his commander’s good graces were the only things that mattered now. Sometimes he thought it might be better if he just got it over with and died somehow- let himself be killed by a prisoner or something. But he couldn’t get it out of his head that someday, somehow, things would get better and life would be worth living again.




*



Ginevra Weasley Wood had been through much since the days when she’d last seen the ice gray eyes that caught her attention as she was led into the prison. The last time she’d seen those eyes was the night of Dumbledore’s death when she had been almost sixteen.

She’d heard the story over and over again from Harry about how Draco Malfoy had been unable to kill Albus Dumbledore. He’d told her how he’d seen Malfoy crying in a bathroom not too many months earlier. Moaning Myrtle had also told her stories of Malfoy. She’d asked Harry and Myrtle to repeat their stories several times because it confirmed what she’d always thought- Draco Malfoy was not evil.

Then there was Harry- The Boy Who Lived. Their relationship had changed drastically in the past eight years. They had broken up, much to her dismay at the time, at Dumbledore’s funeral. Harry had disappeared to Godric’s Hollow with Hermione and Ron. Now he was somewhere in the States, rounding up the wizarding community there and planning some form of attack.

Ginny had been left to run with the Order. It was there that she had been introduced to Oliver Wood. She knew of him from Quidditch, of course. Their relationship had quickly escalated and they had married when she was seventeen. They had managed to live quite happily for three years through Voldemort’s reign of terror under the cover of the Order at Hogwarts, which had turned from a school into a fortress.

Oliver had been killed when Ginny was merely twenty, at the hand of Weldon Nott, Theodore Nott’s older brother. His death had been a random act of violence but Nott had not been punished because it was Voldemort’s people who ran the Ministry of Magic now.

And here she was at Durmstrang, the Death Eater stronghold. Ginny had let herself be foolishly captured while trying to spy. She did know about the explosions in a section of Durmstrang but there were many things about it she did not know. It was better that she didn’t.

She sighed and tried to look un-affected as the guards shoved her unceremoniously into an uncomfortable chair in a small, dimly lit dungeon. They left her and slammed the metal door.
She looked around her. This was nothing that she wasn’t used to. She was not intimidated.

The dirt floors and cold stone walls were more like home to her than these idiots would ever know. She had been in places like this before and had learned she had nothing to fear, not even death. She believed in her cause and was not opposed to sacrificing her life, as many had done before her.

Ginny knew that within a matter of minutes, someone would be in here to interrogate her. She knew this person would use force and pain if necessary. At the start of this particular spy mission, she had resigned herself to the fact that this time could be the last time. And that was okay.

In a corner of her mind, her thoughts once again drifted the blond with ice gray eyes whom she had seen in the corridor. Draco Malfoy looked as handsome as ever, but burdened and tired as well.

She’d heard what had happened to him after that fateful day- he’d run off with Snape and nearly been killed. He’d been spared the once, and was accused a few years later of being a spy for the Order. He was cleared once again and allowed to remain in his menial job within the Death Order ranks.

Ginny knew Draco’s family had given up their mansion and taken to the servant’s quarters in order to please Lord Voldemort. She knew his father died alone and in pain at Azkaban and that his mother had taken her own life with a dagger. Draco Malfoy had been reduced to doing dirty work. It showed in his face. She wondered if she would see him again during her stay here.



*

A/N : Reviews greatly appreciated! :)
Leave a Review