She glanced out of the window at the ice, now covering the great lake. It glistened, throwing pools of light out in all directions where the sun hit it. She sighed, glancing at her watch. There just wasn’t enough time. She pulled her bag onto her shoulder and left the window... she’d go after lunch.

Feeling warm in her winter clothing, she quickly strapped her ice skates onto her feet. She was itching to get onto the ice, had been all day. She stood up, stumbling slightly on the fresh snow at the edge of the lake and then... bliss.

One foot after the other, she glided slowly across the unmarked ice. Speeding up from one direction she skated and then jumped. Spinning in the air she landed neatly and came again. Cross over in a circle, spread eagle, low spin and then jump. She felt so light and fluent as she graced the ice. She thought about it as she maneuvered round the cracks in the ice. At last she had found something that she really enjoyed, a sport she could do were she wasn’t over shadowed by her brothers.

Finishing the routine with a three beat count Dutch waltz, a backward attitude glide and a forward scratch spin, she reluctantly moved off the ice. It was late and soon the other classes would be out. She was lucky that she had been free that lesson, lucky that Professor Sprout had been called out to help with the war effort. But she had to go in. She couldn’t risk others seeing her. How mercilessly her brothers would tease her if they knew what she loved.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

He knew that he should be working on his Potions homework. Professor Snape would definitely not appreciate it if he ‘forgot’ it again. But she looked so graceful. He had never seen her so happy, never seen her so alive as she was when she was skating. Whenever he saw her in the corridors she always looked lonely, closed up with a pile of books slung across one shoulder staring at the ground. She never expressed any of her emotions, except loneliness and he knew, despite what his father had said, that he felt sorry for her.

Then he had seen her skate. A new world had opened up for him. Her eyes gleamed with health and happiness and he truly forgot the lonely girl that he saw every day in the corridors. The jumps, the twirls, the glides that she did were so magical and beautiful. She looked like a fairytale princess as the sun gleamed off her snowy skin as she zoomed across the ice in her old brownish skating boots. Her loose red hair streamed out behind her as she laughed into the darkening air, smiling as she crossed the frozen lake. She was so pretty, so very beautiful and he knew that if her brothers saw her know they would be amazed.

Then everything would change. As she left the ice her face would close up again and her eyes would loose their pretty light that he had seen just moments before. It was like she was a different person off the ice. A strange lonely girl, locked up in her own thoughts, overshadowed by her large rowdy family. And he missed the old her. The her that made his heart spin. The her that made his face laugh at the compete look of joy on he beautiful face as she accomplished a new move. The her that wore her emotions on the outside for all to see for once.

He knew it was useless. Malfoys didn’t love. Malfoys couldn’t love. And was it love? A love from afar? She had never even seen him looking at her. All she knew him as was a white haired git that pissed off her brother and his friends. He looked out of the window again and saw that she was walking in. She had slung the old second hand boots of hers over her slumped shoulder and was stumbling along in the fresh snow outside the castle.

He looked at her again as she wondered back towards the great castle locked up in her own thoughts. It was two days to Christmas… Shouldn’t you always tell the truth at Christmas? But how could he… How could he explain to her that she made him feel like no-one else had ever done before? How could he explain that he had come to that conclusion by watching her skate every day for two months through a third storey window of a castle?

He turned away from the window just as she ducked through an archway into the castle. Trying to concentrate, he turned back to his Potions essay… Seriously what good would it do him to know the difference between The Wolfsbane Potion and The Arequadilia Potion?
Leave a Review