She stood up so abruptly that her skates skidded slightly on the ice. Draco watched with a look of puzzlement settled across his face as Ginny stumbled and turned away.

“I can’t do this,” she said with her back to him.

“Why ever not?”

“You don’t get it do you?” she exclaimed, frustration evident in her voice. Ginny whipped her body around so that she was now facing Draco. Small strands of crimson hair were strewn across her face. “I have no friends because I am forced to be alone. My brothers harass every single person that stays in my company for more than two minutes! I am a Weasley and you are a Malfoy!” Ginny said this while pointing her finger in Draco’s face to emphasize what she was saying. Draco, still in shock at the words coming from her mouth was left speechless and unable to react as she continued to rant. “The fact that a boy kissed me is enough to turn my brothers into a pack of snarling wolves after your arse! Let alone the fact that you are part of the family that my family has hated since… Oh, I don’t know when! But we hate you!” Ginny pushed the hair out of her face and threw her hands up into the air.

It was the most that she had ever said in his company before and he was aghast. No one had ever spoken like that to him before and it made him admire her all the more.

“Just stay away from me. I can’t believe I was led to thinking you actually wanted to learn how to skate.” Ginny’s breath was still coming hard from her rant. A deep blush spread across Ginny’s face as she finally took in what happened.

Draco’s look of admiration had been wiped off his face when he heard Ginny’s demands. He needed her to listen to him. “But Ginny, wait!”

Ginny twisted her face with loathing and said, “Don’t call me that, I hardly know you. Just leave me alone.”

And with that she turned away and skated as fast as she could towards the side of the lake. Draco’s eyes followed her movement as she pulled her skates off. His eyes widened with shock when he noticed that she ran back towards the Castle without bothering to put her shoes on.

He got up slowly and grimaced as he felt his wet backside. Stumbling a little he skated slowly to the shore and carefully pulled his skates off. It wasn’t until he had begun to walk back inside that he realised that she had left her new skates lying in the snow.

~*~*~*~*~

He had been sitting by the window and staring out towards the lake for three hours. His grey eyes were clouded by the thoughts running through his head. He thought he had found someone that liked him too; he thought he had found someone that he actually felt comfortable with. But never had he felt so unloved in his life. Not even his Father could make him feel this bad. It was the most horrible thing he had ever experienced. He wished he hadn’t told her. He thought back to what she had said. It was true; he had never seen her with any friends. She was exactly like him. Neither had any friends, both were over shadowed by their families, both carried a reputation that didn’t really apply to them. His face lit up when it finally came to him. They were so alike inside. It wasn’t that they needed each other; it was more than that. They shared a bond.

~*~*~*~*~

Hours had passed and Ginny was still thinking things through long after her dorm mates had gone to bed. Ginny wrinkled her nose while the same thought kept flashing back into her mind; why did you leave him?

Try as she might she couldn’t sleep, and there was no point in trying, so, getting out of her bed she pulled a warm cloak on and left the room as quietly as she could. Whispering ‘holly berries’ to the Fat Lady, she walked down into the Entrance Hall. Taking care to be as silent as possible, she pulled open the front door. Her feet crunched on the freshly fallen white snow as she wandered towards the place that she had left her new white boots.

They were gone.

And it was snowing.

~*~*~*~*~

Draco was frustrated. His face was screwed up in concentration as he paced across the wooden floor of his room. He knew that sleep would elude him if he lay down. Instead, he made a quick check to make sure that no one was in the room before slipping out of the Slytherin Common Room. His mind was still reeling as thoughts of Ginny distracted him. He hadn’t realised that his feet had carried him outside until he felt snow falling on the back of his neck. He threw a glare up towards the clouds before pulling his robes higher over his shoulders.

~*~*~*~*~

Ginny walked around to the other side of the Great Lake and sat down under her favourite tree. Wrapped up in her new blue cloak she felt deliciously warm. She had to admit that watching the fresh snow fall on clear ice in the light of the moon was incredibly beautiful. She snuggled deeper into her cloak and sighed.

Then she heard the crack of a branch breaking.

She crept backwards until her back was against the tree and waited. Her breathing quickened and her heart was pounding fiercely. She tried to keep the fear from her face. What kind of creature was creeping around the lake at this time at night?

She stood up and grabbed a stick, then, rounding the side of the tree, crashed headlong into a tall person and screamed. The next thing she felt was his cool hand covering her mouth. She was furious. She somehow managed to work her mouth around the side of his hand and bit him – hard.

Draco yelped and scowling, drew his hand away from her mouth quickly. “What was that for?” he remarked crossly, a sneer firmly set on his face.

“You covered my mouth and I couldn’t breathe, plus, your hand is cold!” she replied crossly.

Then turning around she walked back around the trees and sat down, watching over the Great Lake again and trying to cool her Weasley temper.

He followed her slowly and finding a piece of uncovered grass sat down. She turned and scowled at him. Draco scowled back and she smiled slightly.

“What are you doing out here?” he asked.

“Well what are you doing?” she retorted quickly.

He glowered at her and she smiled back. “For a high and mighty Malfoy, you tend to be a baby!” If it was possible, the look on Draco’s face deepened. A tense silence passed between the two before Ginny said, “I couldn’t sleep.”

“Humph.” Draco, still upset at her previous comment, refused to look at her.

“So, what are you doing here?” she asked. A slight smile spread across her face.

Draco couldn’t help but watch her from the corner of his eye. Struggling to keep a smile off of his face, he retorted, “I couldn’t sleep.”

“But, why the lake?” she asked.

“Why are you by the lake?” he threw back at her.

Ginny turned and looked at him. She was shocked by how his pale hair and skin seemed to glow in the moonlight. He was so…beautiful. Ginny’s eyes widened in shock after the thought crossed her mind. She shook her head slightly before saying, “I believe that this is my spot. Anyway, I asked you first.”

“My, my Weasley we are tetchy tonight.” A slight smirk crossed his lips as he finally turned to look at her.

“So…” Ginny didn’t know what to say in response and was a little thankful when Draco interrupted her.

“I dunno. Hey Weasel can I ask you a question?”

“Fire away Ferret Boy.”

“Why are your brothers so bloody protective?” he asked. Draco casually began to trace shapes in the snow with his finger, trying to avoid the inevitable glare that he knew she was going to throw his way.


She looked at him sharply. She struggled to keep her voice even as she asked, “What ever do you mean?”

“Oh come on Weaslette you know damn well what I mean.” Now Draco turned to face her. She was unable to decipher the look on his face. “They follow you everywhere! They don’t let you do anything alone.”

She smiled slightly. “Well I suppose they are a little over protective.”

He coughed, “a little?”

“Okay well a lot… But why does it bother you?”

“I was just wondering,” he said nonchalantly.

“Oh. Well I suppose it’s because I am the only girl in five generations of Weasleys. I guess that means I’m pretty special and my parents just don’t want me to get hurt. Also my parents…well, they cant have any more kids, so my mum wants to really look after the only daughter she is ever going to have. I suppose my brothers must feel the same.”

He nodded slightly. “Makes sense.”

They sat in silence for a while and then she turned to him. “Why are you an only child?”

His slight smile became rather fixed. “Why would you like to see more Malfoys around?”

“No, seriously,” she replied blushing slightly.

The smile then faded completely and his eyes went icy cold. She watched and saw hatred building up inside of him and it scared her.

“Don’t tell me if you don’t want to. Sorry.”

“No, its okay. It needs telling someday.”

She nodded and moved slightly closer to him as if encouraging him on.

He looked at her then started to speak. “My Mother and Father’s marriage was arranged simply because my father needed an heir. My Father and my Mother were never in love.” he looked at her and continued, “my mother didn’t want to have a child with someone she didn’t love, but my father needed a son. I was not only an unwanted child, but I was convenient. After I was born, my Father didn’t have a need for any more children, so he left my Mother alone and me without a sibling. Goodness knows what he does, but he is not faithful and it breaks my Mother’s heart to see me growing up under his influence. She said that her only reason for living is me, despite who my Father may be, and she doesn’t want me to grow up like him.”

She looked at him and saw that his grey eyes had softened, no longer reflecting hate, but sadness and she felt a great longing to hold him and protect him. He looked so alone.

“Don’t you see why I would rather have a family that protects me, than a Father that hates me and a Mother that never wanted me?”

“But your Mum loves you now… Right?” Ginny tried to keep the pity out of her voice.

“Now she does. But it isn’t the love that your family loads on you. It isn’t the love that I want. If I was so special then why wouldn’t she brave my father’s hate to give me a sibling?”

“Some times having siblings isn’t the best thing that could happen to you.”

“You see it differently to me. You get over loved, I get under loved.”

She nodded and he sighed.

“Why does your father hate you so much?” she asked softly.

A scowl graced his features and she saw hate rising up inside him once again. “To him I am weak and afraid. I am not the son he wanted. I am not like him.” he spoke harshly and his tone was rough. She knew that the way his Father acted towards him had upset him greatly.

She looked at him again. “I think that you are just fine, no matter what your father says, it is what’s on the inside that counts. Your father is a fool not to see that.”

He smiled at her and then went back to staring out at the snowy lake. She turned and wrapping her coat more tightly around her, leant into him and promptly closed her eyes. He sighed and wrapped his arm around her, letting his head drop down onto hers. As time passed watching the snow fall, the two silent figures drifted to sleep.
To Be Continued.
Sophinna is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked Ice also liked 378 other stories.
Leave a Review